Berglas Reprint Now in Stock and Ready to Ship

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Berglas Reprint Now in Stock and Ready to Ship

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 24th, 2012, 3:56 pm

My printer delivered a few days early and the new printing of "The Berglas Effects" is in stock and ready to ship. To order you may contact the Genii office at 301-652-5800 or genii@geniimagazine.com, or order online here:
http://geniimagazine.com/kaufman/store/html/80.html

While it is not part of our "3 for 2" promotion, we are currently selling the book at $125 (postage is free) instead of the $140 retail.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

erdnasephile

Re: Berglas Reprint Now in Stock and Ready to Ship

Postby erdnasephile » April 24th, 2012, 4:43 pm

Richard:
You had mentioned in "Genii Speaks" that some typos in the book were corrected in this second edition.

Did any of those typos affect the descriptions of effects/methods materially or were they just of the spelling variety?

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » April 24th, 2012, 4:51 pm

This book is unreservedly recommended! Mr Berglas is THE gentleman of magic and this book is one that will be a classic forever.
Best John

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 24th, 2012, 4:57 pm

Just spelling on two pages. Plus I added a caption on the second color plate of the cards so it was apparent how to orient the book to get the 3D effect.

I have subsequently found a few other typos that didn't get corrected. There are almost always typos no matter how many people proofread it.

There were no corrections to descriptive material.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 24th, 2012, 6:28 pm

Thanks!

billmccloskey

Postby billmccloskey » April 25th, 2012, 3:33 pm

I guess that is going to take the wind out of this guys sale: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-David-Bergl ... 874wt_1052

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 25th, 2012, 4:29 pm

I'm not going to cry for him: he's got a poster collection worth a lot. :)

Randy Naviaux

Postby Randy Naviaux » June 28th, 2012, 9:36 pm

Recently purchased book. (Didn't get it when it first came out.) There are two things I would like to first mention about this book:

1. Mr. Kaufman did an excellent job with presenting this book. To simply say he published or authored it is a disservice to him as it is clear from this work that it was a labor of love.

2. I felt privileged to be receiving the fruits of a man entire life's work in a single volume. To pay 150 dollars out and in return receive the knowledge, experience and results of a lifetime of work focused on a specific area is a bargain.

I've had this book only for a couple weeks. There is a lot to learn and digest. One could take years to fully absorb and master a fraction of the material in here.

This is an approach to card magic which is unlike anything I have experienced or attempted before. But...just trying a couple things since reading this book have gotten this response both times - "Best thing you have ever done!"

And therein lies the problem, once you start performing this material you are going to have a very hard time following yourself.

Its interesting to me because logically a lot of these effects aren't really impossible. Knowing a card a person is going to say or is just thinking of isn't a miracle - its just one out of fifty-two. Yet, when you add in the appearance (whether genuine or not) of a completely hands-off approach for some reason this elevates the effect to "black magic" status in the spectators mind.

I'm reminded of Simon Aronson's quote "There is a world of difference between a spectator's not knowing how something's done versus his knowing that it can't be done." I didn't think that this would apply here as you're not changing the color of the deck or some other physical impossibility like making cards fly invisibly through the air. Like I said, it's only a one out of fifty-two chance to know what card a spectator is going to decide upon, etc. Yet, by applying just a few of the things I have already learned the effect on the audience has been absolutely devastating!

Highly recommended!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 28th, 2012, 10:29 pm

Randy, thank you very much. I'm glad you've "got it." :)

Return to “Buzz”