Dancing Cane on ice

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tom Stone

Dancing Cane on ice

Postby Tom Stone » April 17th, 2012, 5:01 am

My friend Robert "Gaston" Dahlstrm has been instructing the figure skating champ Kristoffer Berntsson during the winter. Here's what has happened so far (starts around the 2:00 mark):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9t-V9Q8tRLo

Jim Riser

Re: Dancing Cane on ice

Postby Jim Riser » April 17th, 2012, 4:53 pm

Tom,
Thanks for sharing this. It is an interesting take on the dancing cane. The word "dancing" is appropriate here as the skater is actually dancing with the cane. The light stick is a nice variation in the subdued lighting in the ice arena. I would have preferred an illuminated icecycle in this context. The question of importance here is how did the audience like the performance?

I have never cared for the effect as it looks like what it is but in this context, I think it worked. He does get some good distance with it and can move gracefully while doing it. This example needs to be studied as an artistic performance rather than as a mere trick. It is always interesting to see an artist at work. This is great food for thought for anyone wanting to perform the dancing cane. Again, thanks for sharing.
Jim

Dan LeFay

Postby Dan LeFay » April 18th, 2012, 9:01 am

Agree completely with mr. Riser.
I guess some routines need a context outside of magic to make them more meaningful.
I enjoyed that a lot and are also curious about the reactions.

West McDonough

Postby West McDonough » April 20th, 2012, 3:09 am

What a lovely idea! But then, Robert struck me as a very creative showman give him my best when you see him next!

magicrobharv

Postby magicrobharv » April 20th, 2012, 8:30 am

Tom,

What did Kristoffer Berntsson say at the end of the video that got a laugh? Thanks for the video link.

Return to “Buzz”