Hank Lee

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Larry Horowitz

Re: Hank Lee

Postby Larry Horowitz » April 15th, 2012, 9:12 pm

I'm impressed!

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » April 15th, 2012, 10:20 pm

Same [censored]. Thanks!
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » April 15th, 2012, 10:27 pm

Yogi Berra said (and may well have originated) "It ain't over till it's over."

Motta popularized, but didn't originate (and denied having done so) "The opera ain't over till the fat lady sings", which probably came from a Southern folk saying "Church ain't out till the fat lady sings."

Paul Amerson

Postby Paul Amerson » April 16th, 2012, 2:27 pm

"The opera ain't over 'till the fat lady sings" was a phrase coined by the late Dan Cook, a San Antonio sportscaster for many years.
Paul Amerson
http://www.TheBirthdayPartyPro.com
http://www.RCPmagic.com

David Scollnik

Postby David Scollnik » April 16th, 2012, 6:48 pm

Paul Amerson wrote:"The opera ain't over 'till the fat lady sings" was a phrase coined by the late Dan Cook, a San Antonio sportscaster for many years.

Apparently US sports presenter Ralph Carpenter used it before Dan Cook. However, someone else may well have used it before him.

Bill Morgan (Southwest Conference Information Director): "Hey, Ralph, this... is going to be a tight one after all."
Ralph Carpenter (Texas Tech Sports Information Director): Right. The opera aint over until the fat lady sings."

http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/it-a ... sings.html

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » April 16th, 2012, 8:20 pm

Roger M. wrote:I don't have a link, but because I've typed it out here in the forum, it should be enough for anybody reading to assume I know what I'm talking about.

Oh right. You said that people were using Hank Lee as an excuse to steal other people's work and I just assumed you were not talking out of your bottom. Seems you were.

Carry on.

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » April 16th, 2012, 8:40 pm

"The trickle down effect of his actions will wreck havoc with almost every aspect of the community."

Is there some objective amount of trickle necessary to properly proclaim "havoc"? I'm not seeing either the trickle or the havoc.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » April 16th, 2012, 9:18 pm

It requires a minimum of 7.3 on the trickle scale for havoc to be proclaimed. The currect trickle scale is updated daily on the international trickle monitoring web site. You need to be a registered user with proper clearance to monitor the web site. Ivy league types are restricted from this data due to their snob scale score - also monitored and posted on this same site. Therefore, once havoc is proclaimed officially, you will be able to infer that the score of 7.3 has been at least met.
Jim (who has access to this trickle site)

Eoin O'hare

Postby Eoin O'hare » April 16th, 2012, 9:33 pm

El Harvey Oswald wrote:

Is there some objective amount of trickle necessary to properly proclaim "havoc"? I'm not seeing either the trickle or the havoc.

Sometimes it's the trickling down that causes the havoc, and it's uncomfortable.
Designer & Maker of The Stripper Jig Card Trimmer

Magic Randy

Postby Magic Randy » April 16th, 2012, 10:01 pm

Paul Amerson wrote:"The opera ain't over 'till the fat lady sings" was a phrase coined by the late Dan Cook, a San Antonio sportscaster for many years.

My understanding is that the phrase "It ain't over till the fat lady sings" references Wagner's opera suite Der Ring des Nibelungen. Following is an explanation from Wikipedia.

The imagery of Richard Wagner's opera suite Der Ring des Nibelungen and its last part, Gtterdmmerung, is typically the one used in depictions accompanying reference to the phrase. The "fat lady" is the valkyrie Brnnhilde, who is traditionally presented as a very buxom lady with horned helmet, spear and round shield (although Brnnhilde actually wears a winged helmet[citation needed]). Her aria lasts almost twenty minutes and leads directly to the end of the opera, though the character Hagen has one final line, "Zurck vom Ring!", to sing after Brnnhilde's death, and there is also a substantial orchestral finale.[3] As Gtterdmmerung is about the end of the world (or at least the world of the Norse gods), in a very significant way "it is [all] over when the fat lady sings."

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » April 16th, 2012, 10:14 pm

Like "the dictionary," Wikipedia is definitive.

El Harvey Oswald

Postby El Harvey Oswald » April 16th, 2012, 10:28 pm

7.3 is ridiculous. One need only consult The dictionary to determine that there is no havoc below 8.5. Q.E.D. My daughter has a friend in the havoc assessment business, and based entirely on that association, I can tell you there is in fact far less havoc than is generally believed. It is frustrating being the lone, lucid voice with fidelity to objective facts, such as the absolute and immutable definitions appearing in The dictionary, while others resort to the provably false and made up.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 16th, 2012, 10:34 pm

I'm just back tonight from Magic-Con, where there was no havoc and it was one of the best conventions I've attended in many years. Just great.

However havoc still reigns here. So I am making this statement (and, yes, the caps signifying yelling): P
LEASE REFRAIN FROM POSTING UNTIL THERE IS SOME NEW NEWS ABOUT HANK LEE.

Am I clear enough?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 17th, 2012, 3:41 pm

The final episode of the TV series St. Elsewhere concluded with a fat opera singer in a coma in the hospital, and when revived, sat up and sang. The show closed on that scene... I must have laughed for ten minutes.
Stay tooned.

David Oliver

Postby David Oliver » April 17th, 2012, 5:24 pm

I'm not one to usually disagree with Mr. Biro, however... the actual final moments of St. Elsewhere consisted of the hospital in a snowstorm, the camera moving out, only to find a young, silent, autistic child holding a snow globe with a miniature hospital inside, and we, the audience are led to believe the entire series was just in his imagination.

I do, however, remember the scene you are referring to, and it was hilarious. But, I can not remember if it was St. Elsewhere or another TV medical drama in the 1980's. But I do recall it happening somewhere, just not in the final moments of St. Elsewhere. ;)

(RK - You were clear, and technically, I did not post about the topic. I was replying to PB's post. :) )
- DO

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » April 17th, 2012, 5:35 pm

Oddly Bent

Postby Oddly Bent » April 17th, 2012, 7:15 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I'm just back tonight from Magic-Con, where there was no havoc and it was one of the best conventions I've attended in many years. Just great.

However havoc still reigns here. So I am making this statement (and, yes, the caps signifying yelling): P
LEASE REFRAIN FROM POSTING UNTIL THERE IS SOME NEW NEWS ABOUT HANK LEE.

Am I clear enough?

I thought additional posting in this thread was verboten.

Anyway, NASCAR has a driver named Dick Trickle...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 17th, 2012, 7:44 pm

I will repeat (other moderators take NOTE, please) Do not post in this thread again until there is something new to say about Hank Lee's legal issues.

jwalkmagic

Postby jwalkmagic » April 18th, 2012, 1:58 pm

http://lexington.patch.com/articles/mag ... d-4e0c9809

Harry Levy has had his date in court rescheduled.

The owner of the Hank Lee's Magic Factory, Levy has admitted to making over $500,000 in bogus charges to a customer's credit card, according to court filings.

He was originally expected to appear in U.S. District Court in Boston for a hearing today, April 18, but it has been rescheduled for 3 p.m. on Friday, April 20, according to a court docket.

Levy, 61, is expected to waive indictment and formally plead guilty to charges of one count of credit card fraud and one count of making false statements to federal investigators.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » April 18th, 2012, 3:58 pm

Wonder why the original judge, Nathaniel Gorton, recused himself. Magic fan?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 18th, 2012, 5:57 pm

Couldn't find any information on-line about the judge and whether he likes magic or not.

However, in a strange coincidence, it turns out he is the judge that made the OTHER Richard Hatch stay in jail :)

http://www.realitytvworld.com/news/judg ... w-9593.php

mehtas

Postby mehtas » April 20th, 2012, 6:34 pm

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » April 20th, 2012, 6:52 pm

That's going to leave a mark. Ouch!
Please visit my website.

http://houdinihimself.com/

I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 20th, 2012, 7:37 pm

"Sentencing is scheduled for July 20, 2012. Levy faces up to 15 years in prison for credit card fraud and five years for making false statements and false records, to be followed by three years of supervised release. He faces an order of forfeiture, restitution and a fine of $250,000 or twice the gain or loss, whichever is highest."

mehtas

Postby mehtas » April 21st, 2012, 5:28 am

See ya Hank. hope you get full 15 years term.

Don't even THINK of selling any lock pick outfits to your fellow inmates.

Joe Strauch

Postby Joe Strauch » April 21st, 2012, 11:03 am

I just got this email from Hank Lee:

"A very special and serious message from Hank Lee.

As many of you are aware, yesterday I made a court appearance to plead guilty to my actions.

I did a really bad thing, and there's no turning the clock back. My actions have affected myself, my family, my friends, my business and the magic community which has supported me for the past 37 years. It was stupid and senseless and the worst thing I have ever done in my life. I am publicly apologizing and have separated myself from the business I love.

I am aware that apologizing does not fix things. It is only a first step in the healing process.

The synopsis of the court proceedings which has appeared online, of course, listed the maximum penalties and fines. God willing these will not come to pass. The federal court system works on a point system which, until now, I was completely unaware of. When the sentencing hearing happens in July, everything will be taken into account.

For me, it is important that I write this. You have been my customers and friends for a really long time and I needed to let you know where things stand.

Hank Lee"

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » April 21st, 2012, 12:08 pm

Hank Lee needs a decade+ behind bars to wipe that smirk off his face.

"A very special and serious message from Hank Lee".....??....really?

"God willing"........really?

The sheer level of hubris this man continues to display speaks volumes as to why this all happened to him in the first place.

He keeps sending out these emails like his "customers" actually care about what he has to say.

I'd go so far as to posit that he's fundamentally delusional.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 21st, 2012, 1:33 pm

I don't get the sense that he's delusional, just scared.

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » April 21st, 2012, 4:16 pm

Roger M. wrote:
He keeps sending out these emails like his "customers" actually care about what he has to say.

I'd go so far as to posit that he's fundamentally delusional.

I think the market will determine whether he is delusional. On this forum we have seen a whole range of opinions about Hank and doing business with him. I have made my opinions clear, but others here seemingly feel comfortable buying from Hank - especially at a steep discount.

I think Richard is correct, he is undoubtedly feeling very afraid right now. If he is only sentenced to 5 years, in the federal system he will serve the whole 5 years as there is no parole in the federal prison system. At his age this could effectively be the rest of his life.

Bennett

Postby Bennett » April 21st, 2012, 4:25 pm

In today's mailing from Hank there is some particularly odd text:

"The federal court system works on a point system which, until now, I was completely unaware of. When the sentencing hearing happens in July, everything will be taken into account."

My sense is that he is laying the groundwork for a request in the near future for character references from those on his mailing list and in the magic community generally.

Oddly Bent

Postby Oddly Bent » April 21st, 2012, 4:51 pm

I was curious about the statement of big sales at the HL site. I did not see much of anything. I compared the price of the Naked Zombie DVD and it was $34 at HL and $24 at Madhatter.
Interesting that every time I have been there, there is always 478 people online. The over the course of searching a few minutes it drops down to 452.
Never bought anything there but I do have an extra #8 catalog with a picture of him standing behind an 8 ball on the cover. I'll list it for sale in the buy forum if I don't get a bite at MC.
(I collect catalogs)

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » April 21st, 2012, 5:00 pm

With regards to the "odd text", here is a summary of federal sentencing guidelines: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... Guidelines

I could be wrong, but character references would not seem to affect things much here.

Oddly Bent

Postby Oddly Bent » April 21st, 2012, 7:51 pm

erdnasephile wrote:With regards to the "odd text", here is a summary of federal sentencing guidelines: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Sta ... Guidelines

I could be wrong, but character references would not seem to affect things much here.

Character reference would not mean anything. The fact that he denied and lied when he got caught and made the prosecution work harder to get a conviction is what will do him in. If he had admitted up front when he got caught that would have worked in his favor. All of this apologizing means nothing.
I just went back to the site and they say they have 463 people perusing the site. And this is nine PM their time. BS

J-Mac

Postby J-Mac » April 22nd, 2012, 4:08 pm

Actually I think almost any input can affect the sentencing guidelines. A young guy we knew committed a federal offense - a very violent one - and I read the news stories throughout his trial and sentencing. The sentencing hearings were baffling, sounding like a big negotiating session before a federal judge. Something like he was sentenced with a "six point upgrade" based on several factors; defense was challenging that and looking to "downgrade" the sentencing points, while the prosecution was arguing that "this merits a 12 point upgrade but we only added four points, but that merits an eight point upgrade..." and on and on. Ultimately after all their arguments the judge just made an on-the-spot decision on the sentence.

Sounded like a labor/management negotiating meeting!

Jim

equivoque

Postby equivoque » April 23rd, 2012, 9:54 am

As volatile as some responses have been, I would like to applaud the Genii forum for keeping this thread active. Unlike the Magic Cafe, you have not chosen to censor your membership. While the Magic Cafe is a private site and while I also applaud their efforts to promote civility, this issue is far too important to be censored.

The fact that Hank is/has been such a pillar of this community makes this an important issue for discussion.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 23rd, 2012, 11:49 am

Received this note from Hank this morning. He left it up to me to post all or none of it. I chose to post the whole thing.

"Richard,
As you might guess, I have been trying to stay away from the Genii Forum Buzz. But, it's like trying to not watch a car wreck.
I did a really bad thing, and there's no turning the clock back. My actions have affected myself, my family, my friends, my business and the magic community which has supported me for the past 37 years. It was stupid and senseless and the worst thing I have ever done in my life. I have publicly apologized and have separated myself from the business I love.
I can understand that there are those who want blood. Really, I get it. Just so you know there are those who have contacted me to let me know how much they hate what I did, but they still care about me. I hold onto those thoughts for dear life.
Your synopsis of the court proceedings, of course, listed the maximum penalties and fines. God willing these will not come to pass. The federal court system works on a point system which, until now, I was completely unaware of. When the sentencing hearing happens in July, everything will be taken into account.
I have been afraid to post anything on the forum because the last thing I want to do is fan the fire. There is little I can say in my defense, and saying that I am sorry seems far too little.
I just wanted you to know 'from the horse's mouth,' as it were. If you would like to post anything of this email on the forum, please feel free.
Hank Lee"

Ted M
Favorite Magician: Dani DaOrtiz

Postby Ted M » April 23rd, 2012, 12:00 pm

In my view, the point generally being missed is that it's not just one "really bad thing".

It's the many, many smaller instances over a long, long period, a practice of charging for out-of-stock items that would never be restocked and would never ship.

Taking a little bit from many adds up. That's enough by itself.

This last one was simply big enough not to get away with.

billmccloskey

Postby billmccloskey » April 23rd, 2012, 2:38 pm

As Sammy Davis Jr said: "If you can't do the time, don't do the crime."

One is always sorry as hell when one gets caught. Unfortunately, some have to learn the hard way.

I feel sorry for people who have bad luck befall them due to something that is beyond their control. This? Sorry Hank, you have no sympathy from me.

NYCJoePItt

Postby NYCJoePItt » April 23rd, 2012, 7:30 pm

How can he say he is removing himself from the day to day operations of the business and still be sending out his email catalogues every other day? If he can't even keep that part of his word, I can continue to believe that this is all a desperate move to cover up years of mistakes.
If he wants to keep his word, he should hand his newsletter over to one of the other creative "elves" over there.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 23rd, 2012, 7:42 pm

His family can be running the business and sending out the emails. You assume Hank is doing it, but you don't know that. The family is probably using a pre-existing e-form of some sort which is why it may appear as if Hank is still doing it. I don't know, because I'm not on the mailing list and haven't seen them.

Return to “Buzz”