Andy Nyman!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Andy Nyman!

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 3rd, 2012, 7:23 pm

Just took a look at Andy Nyman's website and saw a great looking trailer for his new film The Glass Man. Also, scroll down to the bottom for his iPhone app!

http://www.andynyman.com/news.html
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mrgoat

Re: Andy Nyman!

Postby mrgoat » January 4th, 2012, 4:00 am

His iPhone app is dreadful. Really bad imho.

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » January 4th, 2012, 9:01 am

I actually like the Mindreader app. One of the few good magic apps in my opinion. Everyone thinks iPhones can just 'hear' what the card is if spoken, and this app eliminates that...which is nice.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 4th, 2012, 10:27 am

Jeff Eline wrote:I actually like the Mindreader app. One of the few good magic apps in my opinion. Everyone thinks iPhones can just 'hear' what the card is if spoken, and this app eliminates that...which is nice.

I'm glad you like it. To me, the fact you have to look at the screen, albeit on an offbeat to get the card, and frankly, the cueing isn't exactly geniusly hidden made me not even bother testing it on anyone and just deleting it.

The problem with it, and 99.9% of magic apps is that it is a computer doing "something".

iDoodle eliminates that totally. The best magic app there is imho. It's a drawing app. Nothing more, nothing less. Except you can predict a variety of things people think of. It's bloody brilliant, check it out.

Jeff Eline

Postby Jeff Eline » January 4th, 2012, 11:27 am

iDoodle is very good.

Gordon Meyer
Favorite Magician: Uri

Postby Gordon Meyer » January 4th, 2012, 10:06 pm

I agree that the cuing in Mindreader is too obvious, I've seen another magician perform it and the audience member spotted it himself!

For me, the biggest problem with Mindreader is that it sloppily emulates the iOS interface, and so many people have their own device that it's easy for them to spot that something isn't quite right.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 4th, 2012, 10:11 pm

I still like the Tenyo's "Magic Shuffle." It's simple and fools people. In performing it, I also discovered that people think the phone can hear them say the name of the card (and with Siri on the iPhone 4S, it CAN!). So I always ask people to write the name of the card down without saying it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Return to “Buzz”