New British Series Dynamo Magician Impossible.

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
hscheie

New British Series Dynamo Magician Impossible.

Postby hscheie » December 28th, 2011, 10:55 am

Here's a link to download a new British series Dynamo Magician Impossible Episode 1.

Hal
Last edited by hscheie on December 28th, 2011, 11:09 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Link Removed
Hal Scheie

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: New British Series Dynamo Magician Impossible.

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 28th, 2011, 11:09 am

Thanks, Hal. But unless the copyright holders of the program have specifically stated that it's fine for anyone to download the show, then downloading it would be illegal.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 28th, 2011, 11:13 am

Here are links to legal stuff on YouTube:

Trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OOKn0XBUDCI

Demo of Dynamo iPhone App:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-h1HirG ... 5D83894E67

And since all of these episodes have been on YouTube for a while, I guess the copyright holders are fine it:
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... l2.3.2l7l0

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » December 28th, 2011, 11:23 am

Dynamo is a very sweet and talented young magician (who recently joined The Magic Circle). his "Dynamo: Magician Impossible" series was just released in the UK on DVD.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 28th, 2011, 12:16 pm

If you like props, stooges, mumbling sub-blaine presentational style and a total lack of stagecraft you'll LOVE him!

hscheie

Postby hscheie » December 28th, 2011, 12:50 pm

Richard:
"And since all of these episodes have been on YouTube for a while, I guess the copyright holders are fine it:"

Should I re-post the link or will you put it back in the original post?

Hal
Hal Scheie

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 28th, 2011, 12:50 pm

No: the link is still to an illegal download site. Do not repost it. Thanks.

hscheie

Postby hscheie » December 28th, 2011, 1:11 pm

Richard:
I'm curious as to the "illegal Download Site" statement.

I have had a paid account on hotfile for my use to store files that are too large for other cloud storage sites, (Microsoft skydrive only allows 100m per upload as an example).

I received the first four shows from a British friend and after checking YouTube, I saw no copyright issues and thus put the first show in my personal account.

The only difference is that instead of having to watch in sections on youtube each show is complete.

Hotfile removes any file that the copyright holder notifies them is infringing, just as youtube does.
That was in the terms of service that I agreed to when I signed up.

Terms of service below.
HotFile (www.hotfile.com) is an Online Service Provider under Title II of the Digital Millennium Copyright Act, 17 U.S.C. Section 512 ("DMCA"). This document outlines the policy that hotfile.com have introduced in order to implement notice and takedown policy as required by DMCA. This document guides copyright owners interested in utilizing this procedure, as well as service users interested in restoring access to material mistakenly taken down.

Writing and sending Proper Notification
The DMCA provides a legal procedure by which you can request any Online Service Provider to disable access to a website where your copyrighted work(s) are appearing without your permission. The legal procedure consists of two parts: (1) Writing a Proper DMCA Notice, and (2) Sending the Proper DMCA Notice to hotfile.com Designated Agent.

To write a Proper DMCA Notice, state the following information:
Identify yourself as an owner of copyrighted work or exclusive rights that you believe were infringed, or a person acting on behalf of such owner.
State your contact information, including your name, street address, phone number, and email address.
Identify the copyrighted work that you believe is being infringed, or if a large number of works are being infringed, a representative list of the works.
Identify the location of materials that allegedly are infringing your copyrighted work, by providing Web URLs on hotfile.com site that contain these materials. Please don't send attached images, pdf or other file formats files, but only list with hotfile.com web urls.
State that you have "a good faith belief that use of the aforementioned material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agents, or the law".
State that the information in the notice is accurate, under penalty of perjury.
Your notice must be signed with a physical signature (when it is in paper form) or electronic signature (when it is in electronic form).
To exercise your DMCA rights, your Proper DMCA Notice must be sent to Designated Agent of hotfile.com to email: abuse@hotfile.com
Notice and takedown procedure
HotFile.com will follow the procedures provided in the DCMA to properly enforce rights of copyright holders. When a Proper DMCA notification is received by Designated Agent, or when hotfile.com becomes otherwise aware that copyright rights are infringed, it will remove or disable access to infringing materials as soon as possible. You don't need to wait confirmation from us about this action.

If users submitting or downloading materials believe that their use of materials was lawful, they have the right of sending a Proper Counter-notification in order to restore access to these materials. Hotfile.com will comply with the appropriate provisions of the DMCA in the event a counter notification is received by its Designated Agent.
Thank you for your understanding!

Hal
Hal Scheie

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 28th, 2011, 1:17 pm

The show is copyrighted, and thus protected, whether it contains a statement regarding that or not. That is the law. You may not post the link here. End of story.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 28th, 2011, 1:23 pm

hscheie wrote:I'm curious as to the "illegal Download Site" statement.

I have had a paid account on hotfile for my use to store files that are too large for other cloud storage sites, (Microsoft skydrive only allows 100m per upload as an example).

I received the first four shows from a British friend and after checking YouTube, I saw no copyright issues and thus put the first show in my personal account.

hot file is rife with piracy. it is impossible for the copyright owners to DMCA each site, they spring up every day.

obviously you are stealing someone else's work when you download a TV show.

just with the youtube clips RK has posted, they are clearly pirated and should not be linked to here.

the ONLY time content appears with consent on youtube is on the OFFICIAL youtube channels of the broadcasters. Streaming it doesn't mean it's not piracy. A locker doesn't mean it's not piracy. The fact that the copyright holder hasn't filed a take down does not mean it isn't piracy.

It obviously is.

The thing really is that in this case, it's not even worth pirating. Unless you like props and stooges.

hscheie

Postby hscheie » December 28th, 2011, 1:26 pm

Richard:

I wasn't arguing to re-post the link, I just thought that the "illegal Download site" statement was a bit broad.

Hal
Hal Scheie

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 28th, 2011, 6:58 pm

hscheie wrote:Richard:

I wasn't arguing to re-post the link, I just thought that the "illegal Download site" statement was a bit broad.

Hal

It is a massively famous illegal file sharing site that gets more DMCAs per day than youtube. It has decimated the adult industry. I would happily pee and dance on the grave of the person who owns it.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » December 28th, 2011, 7:40 pm

IMHO we're getting very close to discussing the bill before congress as regards the host vs user online stuff.

We might do better to leave it as our host (Richard) does not want links from that site (hotfile?) on his BBS.

Tom Stone

Postby Tom Stone » December 28th, 2011, 7:51 pm

mrgoat wrote:I would happily pee and dance on the grave of the person who owns it.

Me too, but I'll probably dance on the next grave, as I don't want to ruin my shoes.

hscheie

Postby hscheie » December 29th, 2011, 12:35 pm

I feel obligated to point out some facts here.
Hotfile is a file storage site, just like many others such as Microsoft SkyDrive, because of that some (not all) users share illegal files.

Neither Hotfile nor Microsoft has the ability to check every file uploaded for permissions and relies on takedown notices to police the sites as most illegal files have phony names and they would have to view every upload to be sure.
I use Hotfile because of the no upload limit (Microsoft has 25G of free storage, but a 100m per upload limit) dropbox has a user limit.

Think of Hotfile as a coffee house bulletin board, anyone can post anything, legal or illegal, and unless they hire an extra body to police the BB they have no responsibility as to what others post.

As another example, using this bbs, if it was un-moderated there would be virtually no liability of the owner as to what is posted, once a MOD starts removing and/or censoring posts, he becomes liable for the entire content.

As to the decimation of the adult industry that is more the result of the free amateur adult tube sites, Bit-Torrent, Tor, and the Usenet than cloud storage.

Of course my knowledge of the adult industry may not be as deep as the other posters.

Regarding copyrights, everything one produces, written, audio/visual, etc. (including this post) is automatically copyrighted by the owner without them having to do anything (however, if you register it you have a better chance proving its your work).
Absent usage restrictions attached to the copyrighted work by the owner, one is pretty much free to use the material except for profit.

As both a Microsoft and Intel certified system builder, I get most of my software free, go to about three films a week, subscribe to every premium channel and have no need to pirate anything.

I would like to add this quote directly from the WatchTV page.
At Watch we believe television is better when it's shared together.

Hal
Hal Scheie

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 29th, 2011, 2:26 pm

hscheie wrote:Regarding copyrights, everything one produces, written, audio/visual, etc. (including this post) is automatically copyrighted by the owner without them having to do anything (however, if you register it you have a better chance proving its your work).
Absent usage restrictions attached to the copyrighted work by the owner, one is pretty much free to use the material except for profit.

This is wrong. The fact that you do or don't make a profit doesn't mean you are or aren't infringing copyright.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 29th, 2011, 2:54 pm

Starting in just a few minutes here on the West Coast, two episodes of his show will be on the Travel Channel.

hscheie

Postby hscheie » December 29th, 2011, 4:51 pm

Countries where sharing files without profit is legal
Downloading copied music is legal in some countries in the context of the copyright, such as United States, Canada,[16] The Netherlands,[17] Spain,[18] and Panama, provided that the songs are not sold. In Canada it is legal to download any copyrighted file so long it is for noncommercial use, but it is illegal to unauthorized distribute the copyrighted files like uploading them to a p2p network.
While copyright law makes it technically illegal to reproduce almost any new creative work (other than under fair use) without permission, if the work is unregistered and has no real commercial value, it gets very little protection. The author in this case can sue for an injunction against the publication, actual damages from a violation, and possibly court costs. Actual damages means actual money potentially lost by the author due to publication, plus any money gained by the defendant. But if a work has no commercial value, such as a typical E-mail message or conversational USENET posting, the actual damages will be zero. Only the most vindictive (and rich) author would sue when no damages are possible, and the courts don't look kindly on vindictive plaintiffs, unless the defendants are even more vindictive.
Hal Scheie

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 29th, 2011, 5:14 pm

hscheie wrote:As both a Microsoft and Intel certified system builder, I get most of my software free, go to about three films a week, subscribe to every premium channel and have no need to pirate anything.

Apart from TV shows.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 29th, 2011, 5:19 pm

hscheie wrote:As to the decimation of the adult industry that is more the result of the free amateur adult tube sites, Bit-Torrent, Tor, and the Usenet than cloud storage.

a) most tube sites were built on illegal pirated content
b) file lockers are much more popular that bit torrent for piracy
c) what has Tor got to do with piracy
d) no one normal even knows what usenet is

simple fact is piracy has almost destroyed the adult industry

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 29th, 2011, 10:34 pm

Profit is irrelevant to copyright violation. Giving away copyrighted material causes damage to the copyright owner whether the pirate makes money or not.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » December 30th, 2011, 12:08 am

hscheie wrote:Countries where sharing files without profit is legal
Downloading copied music is legal in some countries in the context of the copyright, such as United States,

Since there are embedded footnotes, I presume you are copying from somewhere else when you say this. Your source is full of it.

Joel Tenenbaum's story shows you don't know what you are talking about, to the tune of $675,000. Jamie Thomas-Rassett has about 2 million reasons to disagree with you.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 30th, 2011, 3:43 am

Bill Mullins wrote:Since there are embedded footnotes, I presume you are copying from somewhere else when you say this. Your source is full of it.

His source is wikipedia.

He is a filthy dirty little stealing pirate censored trying to justify his theft. His kind make me sick.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » December 30th, 2011, 5:36 am

Weren't we discussing a magic show on TV here a few pages back?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 30th, 2011, 6:41 am

Matthew Field wrote:Weren't we discussing a magic show on TV here a few pages back?

Isn't this the internet where discussions often go off at tangents? Do you not think educating people about how file lockers or youtube are streaming stolen and pirated material is a good idea?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 30th, 2011, 8:00 am

Actually looking back, the OP was about piracy.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 30th, 2011, 12:00 pm

Okay: now I am retaking control of this thread!
Discuss Dynamo's performances. That's what this thread is now about.
I remember him when he was a young kid--very shy and nice. His development into a TV performer has been very surprising.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 30th, 2011, 12:46 pm

I've watched the first show (Miami) and will need to force myself to watch the second (Los Angeles). He's a fine performer of the Blaine style, which I am growing used to, but...

When a piece of magic (that is to say our kind of "magic") is so obviously false, I feel cheated. For example, the woman whose tattoo he "changes" and the theater marquis "effect." For me these things weaken the "real" magic he does perform. Too bad.

Dustin

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » December 30th, 2011, 12:58 pm

I think the two elements of the thread here are great: criticism of the Dynamo TV series for making too much use of 'TV fakery'; while at the same time acknowledging the copyright issues around sharing the material.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » December 30th, 2011, 4:05 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Discuss Dynamo's performances. That's what this thread is now about.

Disappointing reliance on stooges, props and camera tricks.

But when you have seen him try and do a card trick, you understand why his producers told him to cheat like a bitch for the TV audience.

Simone M

Postby Simone M » January 15th, 2012, 7:06 pm

I've watched a couple of segments on youtube a while ago, and had the chance of talking about Dynamo with some british friends (laymen) who follow his show, and much to my surprise they loved it.

I understand it -- he genuinely seems a shy and nice guy, and even if he tries and sounds Blaine-esque, you can tell by a country mile he's too sweet to do it in an annoying or too commanding way.

And honestly, I think part of the british audience is tired of Derren Brown telling them they are stupid and performing tricks for scientists and psychologists -- Dynamo seems like a humble and honest guy who wants to perform for actors and football players. In a way, it's a classic "rags to riches" kinda story...people can connect with that.

And I agree his skills are not that good, but he's a very interesting and likeable character.

Return to “Buzz”