EverythingErdnase.com

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Magicana

EverythingErdnase.com

Postby Magicana » November 24th, 2011, 6:10 pm

We are pleased to announce a new online exhibition, now open at www.EverythingErdnase.com

Created by Julie Eng and Jason England, it explores all of the different editions of The Expert at the Card Table, a book which has been perpetually in print for over 100 years.

Please take a moment to visit, and let us know what you think.

Jacky Kahan

Re: EverythingErdnase.com

Postby Jacky Kahan » November 25th, 2011, 11:17 am

Very Nicly done!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 25th, 2011, 11:57 am

Note that the first paragraph states unequivocally:

"After one hundred years, Artifice, Ruse and Subterfuge at the Card Table by S.W. Erdnase, a pseudonym for E. S. Andrews, a railway worker from Chicago ... ."

I think that will come as a surprise to a lot of people.

Later in the exhibition this appears:

"In 2011, Magicana published Erdnase Unmasked (a special edition of Magicol No. 180), which focuses on the findings of Richard Hatch, the worlds pre-eminent authority on the subject, along with sleight-of-hand artist David Bens profile of the author drawn from the content of The Expert. Together, the pair make the case that one man E. S. Andrews was the author of this seminal text."

Pretty strong words.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » November 25th, 2011, 1:25 pm

Richard, Are you convinced that WE Sander's is Erdnase? Do you feel that Marty has conclusively shown that Sanders WAS the man who wrote the book?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 25th, 2011, 4:28 pm

I will repeat what I wrote earlier: Marty made a very compelling case, certainly more compelling than has been made for any other candidate. If you would reread my comments then you would know exactly what I think.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » November 25th, 2011, 4:54 pm

Making a compelling case that someone could be erdnase is not necessarily the same as proving that someone is erdnase. And I agree that, if you go in believing that sanders is erdnase, marty's story certainly is a sexy one - but does his case really 'prove' anything?

I have read many of your comments, Richard, but with so many posts over so many threads, I did not want to presume to know your opinion. Your initial post teasing the genii article would definitely be considered 'strong words' but then again, how much of that was what you believe as opposed to an attempt to attract interest in the (then) forthcoming article.

Do you believe Marty has 'closed the case''? Is sanders really erdnase? Have we enough proof to make that declaration?

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » November 25th, 2011, 7:25 pm

Marty hasn't closed the case, he's offered additional bits of information on one of the existing candidates.

Marty's is an interesting take on the subject, but I find nothing compelling enough to positively conclude that Sanders was Erdnase.

I subscribe to Genii, and I'm glad that I've got the Erdnase issue.......but nothing I read in the article convinced me that Sanders was the author of EATCT.

Richard Hatch remains (IMO) the most knowledgable researcher around when it comes to the history of the book, and the possible identity of the man who wrote it.

Frankly, considering his history and knowledge of the subject matter, I eagerly await anything Hatch puts to the page related to Erdnase .......and I'll weigh Hatch's article with precisely the same pair of eyes, and the same brain with which I weighed Marty's article.

In the total absence of any unanimously agreed upon conclusion, it's only logical that there would be those researchers who would seek more convincing and "provable" information than has been offered to date as to the true identity of Erdnase.

Will the Magicol issue provide this new information?...........I'll sure we'll see more comments once folks have had a chance to read it!

Return to “Buzz”