I told you so!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Alan Bursky

I told you so!

Postby Alan Bursky » September 30th, 2011, 2:41 pm

From my Magic Castle posts last year.... I was right!

Brad Henderson

Re: I told you so!

Postby Brad Henderson » September 30th, 2011, 2:49 pm

And once again you are playing the same childish games which remain at the root of the problem. If you have something to say or information to share, for gods sake do it. The only thing you have accomplished with this post is reinforced the notion that, at the castle, there is a class of people in the know and a class who isn't. That 'something is going on or has happened but it is going to be kept from the masses

Do you really think that is good for finding and solving problems, creating trust and confidence in the future of the club you allege to care about?

Larry Horowitz

Postby Larry Horowitz » September 30th, 2011, 4:23 pm

Ah..I hate to say it, but I have to defend Bursky on this one.

He predicted certain people would be gone from their positions at the castle. It is public knowledge that two of those people are no longer working at or for the castle.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » September 30th, 2011, 5:03 pm

And while I'm not 100-percent certain, those threads might be locked. And even if they're not, unless someone is a regular here (which Alan isn't) and understands our whacky search engine, finding it would be tough. Anyone paying attention knows what Alan is talking about.

I'm just surprised that it took this long for him to say "I told you so."

Dustin

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 30th, 2011, 5:27 pm

I've read all the threads and from his post alone I did not know exactly what he was talking about. Had he referenced that he predicted certain people would be gone - I would have. But he didn't. Instead he played the same tired game of "I know something you don't know."

Is his goal to help the Castle, or propagate nonsense?

His previous post does not allow one, experienced with the forum or otherwise, to know exactly what he is "taking credit for."

As I have said repeatedly, it's this gamesmanship which leads to a lack of confidence and trust in the status of the Castle.

I truly appreciate that the Castle is trying to be more transparent and fix problems. There has been more open and communication and that is a tremendous improvement.

What Bursky did here in the thread is the same ole, same ole nonsense which I contend is part and parcel of communication issues which we are trying to move beyond.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » September 30th, 2011, 7:48 pm

It's possible the posts that named names were deleted. My recollection is that he made very specific guesses regarding the future of several people.

Your point is taken, but I do believe Alan truly cares about the Castle. He is very vocal (to the point of getting in trouble for it--whether that was right or wrong is another debate), but he's not part of the Castle's political machine. Yes, he knows people, but he also pays attention and states the situation the way he sees it. I don't think he's just talking "out of school."

Dustin

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » September 30th, 2011, 8:04 pm

My concern is not with what happened in other posts, but here. And his post serves neither transparency nor open communication. His intentions may be good, but it is this dynamic which is part of the problem. I am not contesting whether he was right or not, only questioning if non-fact specific posts help the cause he allegedly cares about or only further entrenches the systemic problem.

The AMA board seems intent on being more transparent and offering more information rather than less.

I happen to believe we should be supporting that intiative. I do not believe alan's post does that. Was his post addressing who was fired? From it alone, there is no way to know Unless he says so, we are just guessing. And
guessing is not conducive to confidence.

We all expect change from the top. It will be meaningless without also change from the bottom.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » September 30th, 2011, 8:38 pm

I could go into a very long-winded rant on our culture of "tweeting" and bullet points (but, ironically, I won't). So I agree that Alan is guilty of assuming everyone will recall his original post(s) about the General Manager and General Counsel of the Castle and that his "tweet" here would make any sense. But I don't think it's anything more than that.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 30th, 2011, 9:43 pm

Alan Bursky wrote:From my Magic Castle posts last year.... I was right!

This kind of post would convey more value to the reader if the item(s) and matter(s) were quoted, linked or explicitly stated.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » September 30th, 2011, 11:29 pm

I just called the castle and they're still open, despite Bursky's damaging post.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 1st, 2011, 12:10 am

Enough, please.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Alan Bursky

Postby Alan Bursky » October 1st, 2011, 1:52 pm

My post was about last year, Mark, George, and Dave tried to get me expelled from the Castle. I said they would be gone long before me. I thought everyone knew what I was talking about.
Pete,
I never said the Castle would close. I said Mark, Dave and George would be gone. I still say the rest of my prediction will come true.
Brad,
This isn't about "I know something you don't". It's about those guys kept saying the Castle is making money. I said it was smoke and mirrors. The Castle lost 1.4 million dollars in the last 2 years. I am sorry for assuming that everyone would know what I was talking about. I was raked across the coals by those guys. EXCUSE ME for gloating!

Alan Bursky

Postby Alan Bursky » October 1st, 2011, 1:53 pm

Richard,
I'm done. Thank you.

Terrence

Postby Terrence » October 1st, 2011, 7:24 pm

The post was on "Magic Castle Difficulties", and is on page 27.

Click here.

(hope that link works...)

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » October 1st, 2011, 9:14 pm

Alan,

I was making a joke about the reaction to your post, not your post.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 1st, 2011, 11:08 pm

Now we are done, thank you.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Alan Bursky

Postby Alan Bursky » October 2nd, 2011, 1:12 am

Good! Thanks Pete.

Randy Sager

Postby Randy Sager » October 4th, 2011, 2:35 pm

I agree With Brad all Alan is doing is trying to make himself into something that he wishes he was but will never be.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 4th, 2011, 2:43 pm

As Richard said, we're done here.

Return to “Buzz”