Who invented the pea/shot glass ending for the shells?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
mrgoat

Who invented the pea/shot glass ending for the shells?

Postby mrgoat » September 19th, 2011, 9:43 am

I was curious. Anyone know?

Thanks

Roger M.

Re: Who invented the pea/shot glass ending for the shells?

Postby Roger M. » September 19th, 2011, 10:02 am

First time I read it was in Frank Garcia's "All In A Nutshell" book, from 1974.

Gary Ouellets "Supershells" book has it as well, but published a bit later in 1979.

It may well have shown up earlier than the Garcia book, and I've just not seen it.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 19th, 2011, 10:44 am

Thanks. Glenn "bless him" Bishop is claiming he invented it. I thought that unlikely, but wanted some clarification.

Thanks.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » September 19th, 2011, 10:54 am

Although I don't recall Bishop's shell routine in detail, he may be claiming a unique presentational hook of some sort.
He's not known for clarity when he speaks (or posts), so it's hard to know.

But the simple act of placing a glass over a shell and doing the "business" is older than Bishop's routine.

But of course, Bishop is also prone to saying things like it was taught to him in secret, as a child, while he was sitting on Dai Vernon's knee, pre-dating Garcia by a couple of decades or more.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 19th, 2011, 11:01 am

Roger M. wrote:Although I don't recall Bishop's shell routine in detail, he may be claiming a unique presentational hook of some sort.
He's not known for clarity when he speaks (or posts), so it's hard to know.

But the simple act of placing a glass over a shell and doing the "business" is older than Bishop's routine.

But of course, Bishop is also prone to saying things like it was taught to him in secret, as a child, while he was sitting on Dai Vernon's knee, pre-dating Garcia by a couple of decades or more.

Oh no he is claiming the whole notion is his and that Marlo said it was the best ending he'd seen. It's very funny.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » September 19th, 2011, 11:09 am

Ergo Marlo had the sense of humor!

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » September 19th, 2011, 10:29 pm

I never claimed that I invented the pea in the shot glass ending. I claim that I invented "my" pea in the shot glass ending.

Although other's like Frank Garcia and Gary Ouellet have used both the pea and the shot glass in an ending - my ending is different.

And yes Ed Marlo did like my ending and Bill Malone was there at the time. I also showed Bill Malone and Bill Goldman my complete routine however I have no idea if they ever performed it.

Cheers!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 20th, 2011, 6:15 am

Glenn Bishop wrote:I never claimed that I invented the pea in the shot glass ending. I claim that I invented "my" pea in the shot glass ending.

Someone said they ended with the shot glass. You posted saying "Oh you mean *my* pea in shot glass?"

I thought you were claiming to have invented it. My bad.

Of course you didn't. You probably took it, added a triumph shuffle unnecessarily and then claimed it as an invention. In your revolutionary pdf. And put a quote in from Jack Pyle saying how great you are.

Cool!

Just my opinion!

Nice to see you back

Damian

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » September 20th, 2011, 9:03 am

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » September 20th, 2011, 9:29 am

This is not a translation of the Emerald Tablet, an introductory text in magic.
I suggest you keep to what's on that tablet, that is if you truly want to live as a magician.
Otherwise it's someone else's song.

Mama don't want you, daddy don't want you
Give it up baby, baby mama can't buy you love
Mama don't want you, daddy don't need you
Give it up baby, baby mama can't buy you love

So somebody got your goat again. Good for them. Another triumph for somebody. Go shuffle.

There is a difference between acting to share one's inner child and acting in a way that reveals just how childish one chooses to be.

hugmagic

Postby hugmagic » September 20th, 2011, 10:08 pm

Karl Norman also did this for years.

Richard
Richard Hughes
www.hughesmagic.com

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » September 20th, 2011, 11:02 pm

As I said above many magicians did an ending with a pea and a shot glass in different ways. Also the bluff move of covering the shell with the pea with a glass or other kind of container like a box - there is a good chance that it go's back to the early days of the shellgame when it was a swindle.

In conversations I have had with people that I have known the using the glass to cover the shell pea comes from the swindle being done in a saloon.

Something to think about?

Anyway I have read most of the published routines over the years and my ending is different - and I read the published routines after I wrote my first lecture notes I did on the shellgame back in the Early days of Bishop's Magic shop.

And by the way goatroll - I am not shuffling - it only looks like I am shuffling. What I am doing in my video is culling and stacking in combination. That is a real technique of finding cards a bringing them to a location for dealing in a poker deal or routine.

My opinion!

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 21st, 2011, 6:59 am

Glenn Bishop wrote:And by the way goatroll - I am not shuffling - it only looks like I am shuffling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dypf1RtIzlA

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » September 21st, 2011, 8:05 am

And if I may add there is a cool bluff move I called the cigar/cigarette move when I published it. I used to use it when I did the shellgame in a bar or night club where people used to smoke a lot.

The plot of this bluff move is the same plot as the well known bent corner move in three card monte.

Historically I think it could date back to the saloon days when the shellgame was done as a swindle in saloons.

By the way goatroll also sent me a PM saying that he knew I was going to post in this thread and I was so predictable. (his language was a bit more colorful though). I also could of predicted his respond above. And if I may add again perhaps the technique of culling and stacking in combination is a bit over his head.

Just one more thought and opinion.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 21st, 2011, 8:20 am

Glenn Bishop wrote: if I may add again perhaps the technique of culling and stacking in combination is a bit over his head.

No, I understand perfectly. Did you not see my video?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHvGWJIIOZI

Shows I am much better than you.

Maybe RK could start a new section on this forum where you go on and on about stuff no one cares about, just to save you spoiling the place now you're banned from Munton's forum.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » September 24th, 2011, 3:39 pm

As I judge from the downloads I get every month I would say different. It seems that there are many magicians watching and viewing the same video that you insulted.

http://glennbishthemagishbishop.blogspo ... ports.html

My guess is that they may find the video of culling and stacking using the triumph shuffle in combination very interesting and want to copy it. Because there is no reason to watch it at this late date to insult it - But that is only my opinion.

I think that it shows I am light years ahead of ------- but then I already knew that!

Just my opinion.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » September 24th, 2011, 4:40 pm

I remember being very happy when I saw that my videos were being downloaded a couple of hundred times a week. Then I looked at my logs in a bit more detail and saw that a large chunk of the downloads were by spiders.

I still get hits on videos that have no webpage link any more, because the direct link in archived on Google or Yahoo or somesuch and the robots come to have a look every week...

Ian

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » September 24th, 2011, 6:16 pm

Ian Kendall wrote:I remember being very happy when I saw that my videos were being downloaded a couple of hundred times a week. Then I looked at my logs in a bit more detail and saw that a large chunk of the downloads were by spiders.

Ian

I took that into consideration.

Be well.

Magic Fred

Postby Magic Fred » September 25th, 2011, 1:53 pm

Can't speak for any of your other downloaders, but I occasionally go back to those videos for a good laugh.

Number of views says absolutely nothing about the quality (or lack thereof) of your videos. Just saying.

Glenn Bishop

Postby Glenn Bishop » September 25th, 2011, 4:17 pm

Magic Fred wrote:Number of views says absolutely nothing about the quality (or lack thereof) of your videos. Just saying.

Quality is in the opinion. And in my opinion the quality of the video is about what is happening not the shade.

And if I may add I could put up video "with shade" of the same technique but I rather keep the people that did not buy my DVD set on the triumph shuffle in the dark.

Magic Fred wrote:Can't speak for any of your other downloaders, but I occasionally go back to those videos for a good laugh.

Yes I often laugh at the people that insulted it and could not do it using another method.

Just a few more thoughts and opinion.

Magic Fred

Postby Magic Fred » September 26th, 2011, 2:31 am

Oh I get it now. I must apologize. I mistook your Triumph culling and stacking for a serious demonstration of card control when it is, in fact, an extremely effective method of inducing hypnotic trance.

The "mrhypnotist" domain name should have tipped me off sooner. Sorry.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » September 26th, 2011, 2:58 am

We're done here.

Return to “Buzz”