Book listing in the Collector's Forum

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
jason156
Favorite Magician: Bro. John Hamman, Simon Aronson, David Regal

Book listing in the Collector's Forum

Postby jason156 » August 2nd, 2011, 5:28 am

Someone listed the book, "The Amateur Magicians Handbook" in the Collector's Forum. They did not specify a price but rather said make an offer (which I believe is against the rules), and listed several links to other copies and their prices. I was stunned, I bought mine many years ago for about 6 bucks. I really have to ask:

Are those prices for real? How rare can a paperback be when it's on it's 4 printing? Yes, it's a great book, but 2000.00?

To quote Richard Kaufman from April of 2007, "All of Hay's books are easily available and cost very little." Has something changed?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Book listing in the Collector's Forum

Postby Richard Kaufman » August 2nd, 2011, 11:19 am

Nothing has changed as far as I know. Some sellers like to put stupid prices on things just waiting for an uneducated customer to come along. Go check out abebooks.com for crazy prices.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

SquareCircle

Re: Book listing in the Collector's Forum

Postby SquareCircle » August 2nd, 2011, 4:54 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Nothing has changed as far as I know. Some sellers like to put stupid prices on things just waiting for an uneducated customer to come along. Go check out abebooks.com for crazy prices.

You are right about that.
Many sellers on both of those venues are hoping to catch a flier.
In general, the unwary wind up with a deal that parallels walking into an automobile showroom and jumping on the salesman's best offer of ten times window sticker price.

Return to “Buzz”