The June Issue of Genii is Now Online and On its Way to Your Mailbox

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
David Oliver

Postby David Oliver » May 14th, 2011, 4:29 pm

Still not sure how you do it, but it's only May 14th, and June's Genii showed up today in my mailbox, even before the iGenii version was available. This is more than amazing, considering that I just submitted my product review column for this issue yesterday! Wow! ;) Nice job, as usual.
- DO

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Boris Wild in my mailbox

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 14th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Ah, but the iGenii version IS available. :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

John M. Dale

Re: Boris Wild in my mailbox

Postby John M. Dale » May 14th, 2011, 6:12 pm

I started to challenge you, Richard. I just went to Ask Alexander &, at the moment, the May issue is still at the direct link after login. However, the June issue is in the "Archive."

Excellent issue as usual!

JMD
Last edited by John M. Dale on May 14th, 2011, 6:14 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Added much deserved praise.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 14th, 2011, 8:00 pm

Thank you.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 14th, 2011, 8:24 pm

Even with finishing "The Berglas Effects" we managed to get Genii out on time.

The June issue, featuring Boris Wild on the cover, is now available online and on its way to your mailbox. Featuring a beautiful cover portait of Boris by the master Zakary Belamy, David Acer interviews Boris, a FISM winner and one of the most beloved magicians from France. In addition, we have four tricks from Boris and videos of three of these are embedded in the digital edition.

Dustin Stinett (writing) and Kari Hendler (photographing) bring you full coverage of the Academy of Magical Arts Awards Show.

Dan and Dave Buck, and Syd Segal, put on a helluva convention in San Diego at the end of Marchwith a fabulous line-up of hosts and presenters, Magic-Cons second year was a great one. Genii was proud to be the media sponsor. Brad Henderson takes you there.

Just as I have been obsessed with Cliff Green, so has Jim Steinmeyer been obsessed with Guy Jarrett. The cranky inventors hand-made book from 1936 continues to provide Steinmeyer with inspiration inspiration that he feels speaks directly to todays magicians. In Jarrett Talks to 2011 he explains why, and Jim also does an author's reading of the article in our digital edition.

And Steinmeyer is still doing tricks for kidsthis time his script for performing the Linking Rings for young folks forms this months installment of Conjuring.

I cant think of anything more strange than pouring colored drinks out of a bottle, then pulling dry colored ribbons out of it but evidently 125 years ago someone thought this was a killer trick. John Gaughan has one of the few that still exist, and hell let you see it in his Chamber of Secrets this month.

David Britland, feeling slightly out of his depth, tilts toward the front of the deck in this months Cardopolis."

Max Mavens view from Lost Horizons includes a rare foray into working with billets.

Jon Racherbaumer writes about the Happening in his past and also gives us an audio supplement to "On the Slant" in our digital edition.

The final installment of "XCM" (Extreme Card Magic) by De'vo Vom Schattenreich appears in our June issue with an unbelievable finger-breaking flourish, and to prove it can be done beautifully we even have a video of it in our digital edition.

Light from the Lamp includes Joe M. Turner reviewing DVDs, David Britland reviewing books (including a nice review of the Berglas book and Mark Lewis's Lives of a Showman), and David Oliver reviewing tricks.

We memorialize the late Looy Simonoff with pieces by Allan Ackerman and Paul Harris.

And of course there's Genii Speaks, and my "More Genii Speaks" video supplement (which runs about 20 minutes each month).

All told, a great issue and I hope you enjoy it.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Re: The June Issue of Genii is Now Online and On its Way to Your Mailbox

Postby Steve Bryant » May 15th, 2011, 4:12 pm

Richard's video Genii Speaks is most interesting this month, with an amazing announcement re a long-disputed subject of magical scholarship.

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » May 16th, 2011, 1:55 am

Having trouble logging into the Genii issue.

I can log into Ask Alexander just fine, Browse the old issues, etc. But clicking on the picture of Boris Wild brings up a new window with an error message, "The login information that you provided is incorrect." And there's dialog boxes for my Login, password and Coupon / Token.

Haven't changed anything since I looked at it last month. Turned off popup blockers, tried both Firefox and IE.
Last edited by Jeff Haas on May 16th, 2011, 1:57 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Additional tech detail

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » May 16th, 2011, 8:05 am

Jeff Haas wrote:Having trouble logging into the Genii issue.

I can log into Ask Alexander just fine, Browse the old issues, etc. But clicking on the picture of Boris Wild brings up a new window with an error message, "The login information that you provided is incorrect." And there's dialog boxes for my Login, password and Coupon / Token.

Haven't changed anything since I looked at it last month. Turned off popup blockers, tried both Firefox and IE.

I an experiencing the exact same thing as Jeff; everything worked fine last month, no dice this month.

(Firefox 4.0.1, Safari 5.0.5, Mac OS X 10.5.8)
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 16th, 2011, 10:45 am

The reason you don't have instant access is because we changed a bit of software, and you have to actually login--and from the day you login it will take another day or two to gain access to the current digital issue.

This is a one-time thing.

Try again tomorrow after our uploads are done and you should have no problem.

I did mention this somewhere on the Forum at the time (mid-April) and asked everyone to login so that no delays would be experienced when this month's issue came out.

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » May 16th, 2011, 11:56 am

Thanks Richard.

I had logged in at that time (mid-April) and experienced no problems. I'll try again tomorrow.
Jim Martin

St. Louis MO

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 16th, 2011, 12:25 pm

Steve Bryant wrote:Richard's video Genii Speaks is most interesting this month, with an amazing announcement re a long-disputed subject of magical scholarship.

At first I thought it was a joke and I was waiting for the punch line. And waiting...and waiting...

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 16th, 2011, 12:37 pm

No joke.

Joe Mckay
Favorite Magician: Lubor Fiedler

Postby Joe Mckay » May 16th, 2011, 3:14 pm

I still pick up my copies of GENII from the local magic shop (althoguh I will be subscribing soon). So - just curious about the announcement about the long-disputed subject of magical scholarship. Is it detailed in the magazine - or just on the GENII SPEAKS video extra?

Cheers!

Joe

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 16th, 2011, 3:36 pm

The mention on the More Genii Speaks video just states that I know who it is, and the information will be published in Genii shortly.

AJM

Postby AJM » May 16th, 2011, 6:16 pm

I feel very spoiled indeed to be able to read the most up to date issue online, while my paper copy usually takes an age to arrive.

Despite this new found convenience however, I have just renewed my paper subscription as I will always wish to have a physical copy of the magazine delivered for as long as that is feasibly possible.

With regard to the online version of the magazine, I wondered if someone would be able to help?

On the iPad, I can access the magazine's full content via the app, which is superb.
However, when viewing the magazine via Ask Alexander on the iPad the animated graphic showing the latest magazine doesn't appear, instead there is an icon which does allow me to access the magazine - however I'm unable to access the additional online content (e.g. More Genii Speaks etc).
Is this an issue which is specific to the iPad?

Would welcome views.

Cheers

Andrew

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 16th, 2011, 7:01 pm

AJM wrote:I have just renewed my paper subscription as I will always wish to have a physical copy of the magazine delivered for as long as that is feasibly possible.

One of the things that the digital edition will not be able to bring you are the goodies that sometimes come with an issue. I am currently working on one that could come with some cool stuff to play with! (Shhhh!)

Dustin

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 16th, 2011, 7:45 pm

Andrew, Flash doesn't work on an iPad, and the little animated magazine is a Flash application, that's why you don't see it properly when you log into Alexander through your browser on an iPad. All the video is also in Flash on the computer version of iGenii which is viewed through a browser.

When viewing through a browser, it's meant to be read on a desktop, laptop, or PC tablet. It can also be viewed on a device running Android software--it works on my Droid X cellphone, for example, but just for reading. We hope to have an Android app whenever the software company that we're using gets off their asses with the development.

It's an entirely different software than the version you read on the iPad, which should be read through the app for best functionality.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » May 17th, 2011, 10:49 am

Just received mine in the mail yesterday in NH. Heading out to Phoenix and thought it would be great to read on the plane.
That didn't work out, as I finished it at 1:30am last night.

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » May 17th, 2011, 1:58 pm

I'm almost ashamed to admit it, but I've been reading the online addition and have not cracked the last two polybags!

ajp

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » May 18th, 2011, 3:54 pm

Hi Richard,

I just tried this today, I still can't get to the digital issue. Is the software update done yet?

Jeff

Richard Kaufman wrote:The reason you don't have instant access is because we changed a bit of software, and you have to actually login--and from the day you login it will take another day or two to gain access to the current digital issue.

This is a one-time thing.

Try again tomorrow after our uploads are done and you should have no problem.

I did mention this somewhere on the Forum at the time (mid-April) and asked everyone to login so that no delays would be experienced when this month's issue came out.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 18th, 2011, 3:58 pm

It has nothing to do with the software update. Contact me at moobooks@verizon.net

Jeff Haas

Postby Jeff Haas » May 18th, 2011, 10:05 pm

Richard, got your email to me, but my replies seem to be bouncing on your end. Anyway, thanks for looking into this.

Jeff

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 19th, 2011, 3:52 pm

Anyone else receive the June issue with Boris Wild on the cover?

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » May 19th, 2011, 4:09 pm

Just got mine!
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 20th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Arrived - and just in time to enjoy for a discussion of the Victor depth/tilt card item done front on. Thanks.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Earle Oakes

Postby Earle Oakes » May 20th, 2011, 11:54 pm

Warm hearted Boris Wild arrived in West Philadelphia, early this afternoon, to brighten a very grey and rainy day!

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » May 22nd, 2011, 8:35 am

Boris's "Pure Telepathy" is an outstanding effect!

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » May 24th, 2011, 2:32 am

Arrived with the Monday May 23 delivery - looks great.
Jim Martin

St. Louis MO

Return to “Buzz”