The President of the Academy of Magical Arts RESIGNS

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Alan Bursky

Re: The President of the Academy of Magical Arts RESIGNS

Postby Alan Bursky » April 28th, 2011, 6:53 pm

LOL! They went with someone who is NOT going to be pushed over!

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » April 28th, 2011, 7:10 pm

Who's that? What's his background? I can't get onto the Castle BBS, thank God for Genii forum.
Stay tooned.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 28th, 2011, 7:13 pm

The Genii knows all.

They'll have a tough time defending that choice in light of the other people who put themselves forward as candidates.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Alan Bursky

Postby Alan Bursky » April 28th, 2011, 7:36 pm

Richard,
No, they will not. Great choice. By the way, I LOVE THE NEW GENII IPAD APP! WOW! I was given an IPad for Xmas as a gift. Really didn't use it at all. Thought of it as a toy. Your Genii app made me love my IPAD!
Now back to the BOD AMA. Great choice.

Alan Bursky

Postby Alan Bursky » April 28th, 2011, 7:38 pm

Dear Dustin,
Anytime you want your fortune told, I will give you a free reading. Knows all. Sees all.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 28th, 2011, 7:49 pm

I've just been given a little background on Mr. Sinnott and why the board chose him. It seems like he might be just what the Castle Board needs right now. Big changes ahead!

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » April 28th, 2011, 7:49 pm

Alan,

I appreciate it, but I do not require your services. Last night, when Max was chatting with Randy, I leaned over to my wife and said, "That guy talking to Max will be the one they pick."

Richard, you will recall that I said that to you on Monday as well.

A great choice!

Dustin

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 28th, 2011, 8:05 pm

Dustin, I don't recall anything of the kind.

houdini's ghost

Postby houdini's ghost » April 28th, 2011, 8:09 pm

Randy Sinnot is an ardent, talented, amateur magician who is also a retired Marine Corp Colonel and a highly respected attorney. I am extremely happy about his appointment and I congratulate our BOD. I learned in Vietnam, Marines don't go backward--they just go forward--so we move onward, from where we are and where we've been.
Mark Wilson told me that being the President of the Magic Castle was a difficult, wearing, time-consuming job.
We've got some very good people in there now. I want to be as supportive as I can.
Patrick Culliton

Alan Bursky

Postby Alan Bursky » April 28th, 2011, 8:23 pm

Dustin,
I am going to take a nap.

hscheie

Postby hscheie » April 28th, 2011, 8:45 pm

I want to see his birth certificate!
Hal Scheie

Terrence

Postby Terrence » April 28th, 2011, 9:12 pm

The BOD chose wisely and swiftly from quite an excellent group of individuals IMO. Well done!

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » April 28th, 2011, 9:19 pm

hscheie wrote:I want to see his birth certificate!

:grin:
The MacGician®

West McDonough

Postby West McDonough » April 28th, 2011, 9:39 pm

Randy Sinott is an excellent choice for the position! I have confidence that his skills are exactly what the AMA needs during the current "interesting" times, and I congratulate the Board for making such a wise choice.

My only concern is who will run Ethics and Grievances now (Randy has been the chair since Joan Lawton left to become a Trustee)? :)

Max Maven

Postby Max Maven » April 29th, 2011, 1:15 pm

Agreed. Randy Sinott will be a valuable addition to the AMA Board.

Pete McCabe

Postby Pete McCabe » April 30th, 2011, 1:56 am

Forgive me if I missed this, but has NPH been installed as president, or has that decision been postponed?

West McDonough

Postby West McDonough » April 30th, 2011, 4:00 am

My understanding is that officers will be finalized at the next regular board meeting. In the meantime, NPH is the acting President.

undercut

Postby undercut » May 4th, 2011, 12:33 am

So the AMA is losing $14,000 a week.
This is the second week that this is known, so

$28,000
without intervention.

The way I wrote my last post may have been confusing.
>$800,000 is the total the AMA has lost in 2010.
Legal costs for the year were only around $750,000.
Gosh, you'd think that they might hire a local attorney, and use them as needed, rather than have an attorney that lives in the SF bay area, for which the AMA pays transportation, hotel costs on each visit, and is paid to write minutes sometimes, speeches sometimes, and attends and bills for every meeting. On top of a monthly retainer, and big payments for legal actions.

Of course, for those with short memories, Castle troubles have all come down before, and was discussed on this forum:
http://www.geniimagazine.com/forums/ubb ... d=1#import

undercut

Postby undercut » May 4th, 2011, 12:37 am

here's a new one: The former President's girlfriend was just added to the staff/payroll, uncompetitively, for a job that she's not done before, while other qualified people are being laid off.

Just like the Food and Beverage Manager is the brother of the former girlfriend of the former president, also hired uncompetitively, without that fact being disclosed.

Is there a trend?

Soda Jerk

Postby Soda Jerk » May 4th, 2011, 3:57 am

It's very sad that the membership at large doesn't know this information.
We should be demanding answers. The problem is, who are we to believe?

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 4th, 2011, 3:58 pm

While if true these allegations are somewhat disconcerting, there are a couple of facts that must be made:

The implied notion that a company cannot hire someone uncompetitively is hogwash.

The implied notion that the membership should somehow be involved or even notified in the hiring or firing of employees is hogwash (thats why we elect a BoD and thats why they, in turn, hire a general manager).

Not to mention that private employee information cannotby lawbe discussed by board members during an open session of a board meeting; or any other time for that matter. These things can only be discussed during executive session. The employees rights far surpass those of the memberships right to know: period. Discussing certain employee matters outside executive session opens the board and the AMAtherefore the entire membership as a wholeto litigation by the employee, the State of California, and possibly the federal government.

This fact makes it rather difficult for the BoD to defend itself against allegations such as these, so they are damned if they do and damned if they dont. Their silence only makes their antagonists cast more aspersions; and the beat goes on.

As for saying the Castle has lost $14,000 a week this year is questionable. Using last years loss as a basis for this years current situation is a fools errand. The fact is that things could be better or even worse. Without the data from the first quarter of 2011, to make such a statement is factually incorrect. So unless undercut is quoting current data, he/she is, at best, guessing or, at worst, lying while attempting to appear knowledgeable in regard to whats really happening today.

Im not convinced this person has access to the current data, so guessing or lying is all thats left. Whichever it is really doesnt matter, does it?

Frankly, Im growing very tired of anonymous postings on this subject. Its certainly easyif not cowardlyto throw stones from the shadows. At least others who have openly criticized the AMA Board of Directorsmyself includedadd our real names to the bottom of our comments.

Dustin

Naphtalia

Postby Naphtalia » May 4th, 2011, 5:23 pm

I wish the membership was notified when a new person was brought on board - sort of a "Say 'Hi' to ------ who will be -------." I know this is okay by local law. It's not necessary, but it might go some way toward bringing back the familial feeling that used to exist between members and staff.

I do not expect Undercut to answer this question, but it's one I ask whenever someone provides information that I cannot otherwise confirm -- What's the source of your information?

I don't know what the reason is for Undercut (or Soda Jerk) to select to post anonymously. I can imagine reasons both justified and unjustified. From this side of the computer and with the limited information I have, it feels like I'm dealing with someone with an ax to grind.
Naphtalia

Impropriety is the soul of wit.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 4th, 2011, 5:42 pm

Naphtalia wrote:I wish the membership was notified when a new person was brought on board - sort of a "Say 'Hi' to ------ who will be -------." I know this is okay by local law. It's not necessary, but it might go some way toward bringing back the familial feeling that used to exist between members and staff.

This is different: but only sort of. Yes, the company can say, "We hired John Doe as our new Senior Manager in charge of Toilet Repair" (or whatever), but that's it. Anything beyond that, the employee has to okay. In other words, anything biographical that might be included (education, family, etc.) has to be approved by the new employee. And it seems to me that I have seen this sort of thing in the Newsletter; but maybe not consistently.

My board recently hired a new maintenance man. We only announced his first name.

Dustin

Soda Jerk

Postby Soda Jerk » May 4th, 2011, 6:27 pm

I decided to post anonymously simply because I don't wish to become persona non grata, when I visit The Castle.
I haven't posted any of the many rumors I have heard from various sources.
I have, however, witnessed with my own eyes some very disturbing trends over the past year.
I expect that any member that visits on a regular basis, would notice the same thing.
Just go talk to Milt. He's not afraid to speak his mind on the subject. Or would he be considered just another person with an ax to grind?

MagicMan123

Postby MagicMan123 » May 4th, 2011, 6:40 pm

I also do not understand why more questions are not asked. Why was the Magic Castle controller, Dave Clement, allowed to report at the annual general meeting that the 2010 financial reports were not ready at the time. This meeting was held on Sunday, March 27th. The financial reports that the AMA posted on page 2 is signed by the CPA on March 9th. This means that the reports were ready 18 days prior to the annual general meeting. Why is this not being questioned? What is Dave Clement hiding?

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » May 4th, 2011, 6:51 pm

Soda Jerk wrote:I decided to post anonymously simply because I don't wish to become persona non grata, when I visit The Castle.

I can empathize--I once had a suboptimal experience with one aspect of the Castle and posted about it in a constructive, respectful manner in order to suggest a need for a change in customer service. (I did this at the personal request of a rather prominent performing magician member). All it got me were wild accusations that I was a crazy liar with an untoward agenda.

Some folks are rather fanatic in the way they personalize any non-positive comment about the Castle--as if examining some of the rough edges is somehow tantamount to treason.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 4th, 2011, 7:10 pm

Nothing wrong with posting under a pseudonym here. Feel free as long as you keep it clean.

MagicMan123

Postby MagicMan123 » May 4th, 2011, 7:42 pm

I am surprised Dave Clement hasn't tried to censor this forum yet.

Terrence

Postby Terrence » May 4th, 2011, 7:57 pm

Dustin -- re Anonymous Posting:

At this point nothing the dwindling opposition might do would surprise me, so I really can't blame people for wanting to post anonymously.

Besides, each post is an reminder of the ham-handed censorship attempt on the Magic Castle Forum, which continues to explode in their faces. A gift that keeps on giving!

Let the change proceed... :grin:

MagicMan123

Postby MagicMan123 » May 4th, 2011, 8:04 pm

I am much more willing to post an anonymous reply on the genii forum's then posting something on The Magic Castle forums and receive another nasty e-mail from Mark or Dave about it. I only state the facts and what I know. Being censored for replying to a post with facts is wrong. Receiving a nasty e-mail from Mark or Dave is just uncalled for.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 4th, 2011, 8:45 pm

Perhaps next time Ill send my resume for an open BoD or BoT spot under a pseudonym with my qualifications listed as the red-headed step child of my uncles college roommates third cousin.

SodaJerk: Milt does not post anonymously on the Castle board or when his thoughts are posted here via a third party.

But I do understand the dilemma facing those who feel they must remain anonymous. I am very much on the record here for allowing people to post anonymously: weve been through that ad nauseam.

No, Im just tired of it, particularly in a thread like this where questionable statements can be made without impunity. It smacks of gossip and hearsay, and yes, ax-grinding.

Neither Naphtalia nor I are saying that what these comments are or that many of the statements arent true. Its just the perception and thats driven by the anonymity.

I think we all get it that undercut is just trying to shine a spotlight on some questionable stuff. But others have done the same thing without hiding in the shadows. Its just that the perception is negative because of their anonymous source, whose sources are unnamed and unverifiable because the BoD cannot comment on them one way or the other even if they wanted to! Their fiduciary responsibilities prevent them from doing so. That makes them easy targets especially when posting anonymously.

I also understand the fear of retribution: Ive been on the receiving end. But Im still around.

The Magic Castle has problems and many of us believe we know what they are and we also have our beliefs as to where the blame falls. It doesnt really matter except to say that there are two undeniable facts: What happened in the past is done and cannot be undone; and the BoD must get control of the situation and move forward in a positive and responsible directionsoon.

Its not an easy task, but it starts with four questions they must ask:

What do we know?
What do we think?
What should we do?
What did we learn?

And then the process starts all over again. It never stops.

Dustin

Soda Jerk

Postby Soda Jerk » May 5th, 2011, 4:18 am

Another question they should ask is, why is Matt Patton allowed to continue to run the Events Department after the enormous losses incurred by The Caberet at the Castle?

MagicMan123

Postby MagicMan123 » May 5th, 2011, 12:47 pm

According to the almighty Dave Clement the Cabaret at the Castle series run by Matt Patton were a HUGE success. This is in no way possible.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 5th, 2011, 12:49 pm

Since the AMA is a not-for-profit, aren't its finances available for inspection? That would put an end to these sorts of questions pretty quickly.

Chris Aguilar

Postby Chris Aguilar » May 5th, 2011, 12:57 pm

I've always been a fan of the Castle. For years, I have considered becoming a non resident member of the AMA.

But all the financial hijinks and drama has always kept me away. I wonder if others have been similarly put off.

If the AMA and the Castle owners could get their act together in that regard, become more solvent without having to rely on non magic entertainment (cabarets, special assessments, etc.) perhaps membership would be more enticing for people like me.

Dustin had a great proposal in another thread for a new type of limited membership that would bring a lot of cash flow into the organization and likely strengthen it. It's amazing to me that his proposal got the brush off. I know it's something that would bring me (and I bet hundreds, perhaps thousands) into the AMA fold.

MagicMan123

Postby MagicMan123 » May 5th, 2011, 1:00 pm

It would need to be a very detailed inspection of the finances. There are a lot of costs that went into the Cabaret at the Castle series that Dave may not post as a cost to that and move hat money somewhere else.

Performer lodging, transportation (including flight), free food and drinks for Matt Patton and his guests. Another huge issue with the Cabaret at the Castle series was that the castle opened up to outside people. Most of the Cabaret at the Castle series limited number of tickets were actually sold. Many of the tickets were comped. Food and beverage sales were at a minimum. There is no possible way that the Cabaret at the Castle series were a success.

MagicMan123

Postby MagicMan123 » May 5th, 2011, 1:02 pm

Chris - with Dave Clement as the "controller" and Mark Felicetti as the executive director there is nobody listening.

Soda Jerk

Postby Soda Jerk » May 5th, 2011, 1:20 pm

The Cabaret at the Castle lost huge sums of money.
Also, Matt Patton spent several thousands of dollars on flowers to decorate the Castle for one night. I think it was New Years Eve. A night members have to pay to get in!
Don't take my word for it. Next time you visit the Castle, ask Milt or Irene.

MagicMan123

Postby MagicMan123 » May 5th, 2011, 1:28 pm

Matt Patton was given a blank check by Dave Clement and Mark Felicetti to do what he wanted with it. It is now the members that are paying for it while Mark and Dave continue to cover up the facts.

MagicMan123

Postby MagicMan123 » May 5th, 2011, 1:38 pm

Flowers and other items that were not needed were purchased at high costs to the members of the Academy of Magical Arts. Halloween for example was a huge loss to the AMA. Thousands were spent on decorations. The Castle has a VOLUNTEER decorating committee that was not used! Instead, Matt Patton hired people for very high pay to do the decorating. How is this allowed?

Return to “Buzz”