Tim Conover Has Taken His Life

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Tim Conover Has Taken His Life

Postby Richard Kaufman » February 5th, 2011, 8:26 pm

Here is the information regarding Tim's memorial service:

The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
2397 Newstead Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23454

Friday, Feb. 18th, 6:00pm
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » February 6th, 2011, 10:02 am

The following message was posted in the comments thread of my report on Tim's passing (http://bit.ly/dHijZ2), But I thought that I'd share it here for those that do not read comments to insure that more see it. The Memorial Service celebrating Tim's life will be held on Friday, February 18th at 6:00 pm.

In addition, you can read a touching memorial to Tim from a friend here: http://bit.ly/fv1r2f

Timothy Gene Conover was born at 1:25 AM on April 1, 1959. He has been our pride and joy from that day forward. The nurses in the hospital where he was born insisted that he would be famous one day. It has taken days for me to write my feelings, and only now do I realize there are no words to express the pain of losing our Tim. God Bless my dear child.
Mom

RJ_Hunt

Postby RJ_Hunt » February 8th, 2011, 1:11 am

I'm so bummed out...Tim and I worked a lot of the same trade-shows and conventions back in the mid 90's before I left the magic biz. I'm upset that I did not get a chance to reconnect with him since returning to magic. What I'll miss and cherish the most is Tim's advice on being a "Pro" I have yet to meet another working trade-show/corporate magician that has anywhere near the professionalism that Mr Conover possessed. He will be missed...

My thoughts and well wishes to his family & friends...And I'll leave you all with this, "Suicide is a permanent solution to a temporary problem..." If you need help PLEASE just ask...I've been there.

Respectfully,
RJ

BTW:
Thank you RK for sharing the service info.

Bill McFadden

Postby Bill McFadden » February 8th, 2011, 3:09 pm

One of the greatest memories I will ever have in magic was when I first saw Tim perform at WMS '04. I stopped him in the meeting space corridor of the Riviera and introduced myself: resident of DC area, friends in common, etc. After a brief conversation, we sat down on the carpeted floor where Tim gave me an intensive tutorial on Ramsay's Cylinder and Coins. This tutorial continued on e-mail and on the phone. We connected again that year at Magic Live, where I heard my name called out in the crowd, and turned to see Tim headed toward me. We later shared a ride to the airport, then sat down and smoked and talked.

This generous, affable, supremely talented, beautiful man always treated me like an old friend - as if we always knew one another. It's taken me all this time to write something because I've been too stymied with grief to compose words. Farewell, dear friend . . . having been to the brink myself on several occasions, I wonder whether knowing how much he was loved and admired would have convinced him to hang around a bit longer. Bless you, Tim; your legacy will live on eternally.

bpn

Postby bpn » February 15th, 2011, 3:44 pm

I am extremely grieved to hear about Tim's passing. I met Tim, in DC, in the mid-80's while he was performing at the opening of a new hotel in Washington. We talked about magic and the handful of tricks I knew how to perform. Tim was so gracious...he even invited me out to Denny's for breakfast and he spent all night, (literally) until 7am, amazing me with slight of hand which I had never dreamed possible.

The following week Tim performed at a black tie cocktail party and invited me as a guest. I'll never forget him sitting at his performance table making billiard balls appear and disappear (Slydini would have been proud!). I lost touch with Tim, shortly after, but I began a study of magic which exists to this day. I'll be performing, again, next week...all thanks to Tim Conover. Tim probably never realized how much joy, and inspiration, he gave to so many people. God bless you Tim.

Seuss

Postby Seuss » February 16th, 2011, 7:29 pm

Just wanted to edit Mr. Townsend's first link to a more direct one

http://askalexander.org/displaypdf.cgi? ... &pgnum=651
Genii Lifetime Subscriber
Co-host Magic On the Side

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » February 21st, 2011, 1:08 am

A wonderful video tribute put together by Eric Mead for the memorial service may be seen on Tim Conover's facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000450255605

Doc
Favorite Magician: Bram Bongers

Postby Doc » May 13th, 2018, 11:29 am

Wow! Thanks so much for these comments. I am just getting to know Tim Conover thanks to Eric Meade and the Cylinder and Coins.
I can't express how much it means to see his superb ability in magic. I just watch him over and over just to see him jump up and down...its absolutely delightful!

Return to “Buzz”