Mark Lewis Book!

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Mark Lewis Book!

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 7th, 2011, 12:36 pm

Mr. Kaufman does not possess a copy of this book, having sent the review copy off to be ... well, reviewed.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

AJM

Postby AJM » April 7th, 2011, 3:25 pm

Simonpitch (who definitely ISN'T Lark Mewis - cos Ian Kendall says so, so there!)

Your unswerving support of this 'tome' is indeed admirable - perhaps you could enlighten us as to the nature of your vested interest in this (some might argue tawdry) project.

In addition, I have oftentimes wondered why you, sorry, Mr Mewis chose the title 'Lives of a Showman' over others which would have been far more appropriate.
Was it, for example, because 'Flogging a Dead Horse' had already been used as the title for an earlier, and far more esteemed, magic biography?

Please do tell (preferably before the library closes for the day).

Andrew
Corner-person Begrudger

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 7th, 2011, 4:55 pm

Andrew, perhaps you can enlighten us to the cause of your overwhelming negativity toward a book you haven't read and apparently know nothing about?

It would seem you have a degree of personal animosity toward Mark Lewis. Why would that be?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 7th, 2011, 5:05 pm

I think many people feel animosity toward Mark Lewis. Do you really have to ask why? :)

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 7th, 2011, 5:11 pm

It seems extreme in this case.

Personally, I enjoy Mark's posts and feel he has considerable to offer. Just the other day when we were discussing the air pressure turn over on the forum, he emailed me with a tip to make it more sure fire.

If AJM insists on calling someone out about their relationship to a book or person, it seems turn about is only fair game.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » April 7th, 2011, 6:00 pm

...cos Ian Kendall says so, so there!

Hey! He's picking on me, now.

AJM

Postby AJM » April 7th, 2011, 6:05 pm

Hi Brad

Fair comment.

I can't help with your first point unfortunately as I have no idea how you have reached that conclusion from my previous posts in this thread.

The second point is more straighforward - I consider Lark Mewis to be, by far, the most odious little git I've had the misfortune to encounter to date.
As a result, I find the act of pricking the pimple of his puffed up pomposity - in as light-hearted a manner as I can muster - to be an entirely therapeutic pursuit.
Mr Mewis can dispense his vitriol easily enough - his epidermis should therefore be sufficiently resilient to take a little back in return.

You've asked and I've answered honestly.

It's only my opinion and, of course, you are entirely entitled to yours.

What I will say is that I am who I say I am - Andrew J Murphy - that's where the 'AJM' comes from.

Feel free to drop me a PM or a mail on ajmvrphy@googlemail.com - I'd be more than happy to discuss further if you so wished.

Best regards

Andrew
Corner-person Begrudger

David Scollnik

Postby David Scollnik » April 8th, 2011, 1:46 am

I purchased a copy of the book from Mark Lewis directly (from his website). I don't know the fellow, never met him, or talked to him previously. But he was quite the conscientious little book seller, packaged it nicely, sent me an email when it shipped, etc.

I have not finished reading the book yet as I have not had much free time lately, but what I have read so far I have quite enjoyed.

Simonpitch

Postby Simonpitch » April 8th, 2011, 1:20 pm

AJM wrote:Simonpitch (who definitely ISN'T Lark Mewis - cos Ian Kendall says so, so there!)

Your unswerving support of this 'tome' is indeed admirable - perhaps you could enlighten us as to the nature of your vested interest in this (some might argue tawdry) project.

In addition, I have oftentimes wondered why you, sorry, Mr Mewis chose the title 'Lives of a Showman' over others which would have been far more appropriate.
Was it, for example, because 'Flogging a Dead Horse' had already been used as the title for an earlier, and far more esteemed, magic biography?

Please do tell (preferably before the library closes for the day).

Andrew

I rather think that AJM is taking advantage of the fact that the author is not here to defend himself. Be that as it may I am able to answer his above question concerning the title of the book.Mark Lewis did NOT choose the title. It was first suggested by David Ben who was also responsible for the entire concept and vision of the memoir.If AJM has a problem with this perhaps he should discuss the "tawdry project" with Mr Ben and get his take on it.

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » April 8th, 2011, 9:24 pm

Andrew,

Thanks for taking the time to answer. Mark is a polarizing force. When I see someone expressing such negativity, I like to understand the basis of that.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 8th, 2011, 11:14 pm

I will note that although both the book and its title were David Ben's idea, he decided not to publish the book. That makes a statement, and one which Mark Lewi--, er, "Simonpitch" chooses not to mention.

Simonpitch

Postby Simonpitch » April 9th, 2011, 11:21 am

The reason I choose not to mention it is because as I keep trying to tell you I am not Mark Lewis. Therefore I am not privy to the information. I do know, however, that the foreword was contributed after the mutual decision not to publish. This, to me implies approval of the book.

Incidentally I received a private message revealing to me the true identity of AJM. Hardly an unbiased source.

AJM

Postby AJM » April 11th, 2011, 3:21 pm

I almost choked on my porridge when I read this little nugget earlier.

Incidentally I received a private message revealing to me the true identity of AJM. Hardly an unbiased source.

Two things immediately sprung to mind: -

I find it somewhat ironic, Mr Mewis, that a person who chooses to hide behind an endless list of fictitious 'handles' questions another's identity.
But then again, if I was as pathetic a creature as you, I'd probably think twice about owning up to my true identity - so I can well understand your motives.

Folks, like myself, who have patronised this fine board for a good number of years will readily recall that you have 'previous' with regard to besmirching the good name of others. I recall one occasion when an innocent poster was branded a 'thief' by your good self - an allegation which you were later forced to retract.

So with these two points in mind, particularly the latter, I would ask you to exercise caution with regard to the content of your next post.

Andrew Murphy
Corner-person Begrudger

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » April 11th, 2011, 9:10 pm

Yup, we heard you the first, second, and third time.

You don't like Mark Lewis.

Simonpitch

Postby Simonpitch » April 12th, 2011, 12:12 pm

I quote from AJM above:

"Folks, like myself, who have patronised this fine board for a good number of years will readily recall that you have 'previous' with regard to besmirching the good name of others. I recall one occasion when an innocent poster was branded a 'thief' by your good self - an allegation which you were later forced to retract.

So with these two points in mind, particularly the latter, I would ask you to exercise caution with regard to the content of your next post.

Andrew Murphy [/quote]

I understand from Mr Lewis that he has actually retracted his original retraction. Upon further investigation it seems he was right the first time. He does indeed believe that Carl De Rome was the person who stole from him all those years ago. But don't ask me to get into it. Since I am not Mark Lewis I am not privy to the full details. Something to do with discovering old photos I gather.

And yes. I do agree with Roger M that AJM is beginning to sound like a broken record that nobody really wants to listen to.

Still, with regard to his comparison to the excellent"Flogging a Dead Horse" biography and the Showman tomeI did receive some interesting information yesterday from a local magic shop. I asked how many of the Marshall biographies had been sold and the answer was 7. I then asked how many of the Showman books had been sold and the answer was 37.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 12th, 2011, 12:15 pm

Is this part of a Punch and Judy script or maybe a pantomime? For those of us who are not up on English humor traditions, what's the deal here?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Simonpitch

Postby Simonpitch » April 12th, 2011, 12:20 pm

But to happier matters and more to the point - on topic matters.
Another review has surfaced.I am not sure who the reviewer is. Here it is:

I have been reading two books recently: Steinmeyer's new opus on Thurston and the autobiographical "Lives of a Showman". I was struck by the similarities between the two. I suspect that I could switch books chapter by chapter and be remarkably impressed by the similarities of the two protagonists in background, performance approach and ego. Both performers hold similar philosophies regarding their audiences and both maintain a certain antagonistic relationship with their audiences (both professional and accidental). In some ways, "Lives of a Showman" reveals more about its subject (not surprising as it is a first-person narrative), but both are eminently readable. It is quite enjoyable to discover that the acerbic persona both have created often belies a thoughtful and generous (if hidden) nature. While I finished the Steinmeyer book quite quickly, I am still making progress on "Showman"--not because it is a difficult read, but rather because each paragraph encourages a panoply of self-reflection. I am enjoying the journey, and, while I look forward to finishing the book, I am, at the same time, quite reluctant as I suspect it will leave more questions than it answers.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 12th, 2011, 1:34 pm

Mr. Pitch has left the building.

AJM

Postby AJM » April 12th, 2011, 2:24 pm

AJM wrote:
given that you only registered on the 15th March and have made 3 posts....(although I have a sneaky suspicion that you won't reach double figures).

Ok - I was wrong on this particular point (but only just).

Anyway, until next time...
Corner-person Begrudger

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 13th, 2011, 11:20 am

That was an amusing juxtaposition of the Steinmeyer and Lewis books. Some us work to bring out the best in others. Others manage to bring out the beast.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 13th, 2011, 11:35 am

What a load of [censored]. I can't believe you have the gall to compare the Steinmeyer bio of one of the greatest stage magicians of the 20th century to your own autobiography of someone doing phoney readings and pitching Svengali Decks, and who is TOTALLY unknown by anyone except a few friends and the people he's pissed off in the magic world.

The height of egotism and stupidity.

Andrew Pinard

Postby Andrew Pinard » April 13th, 2011, 12:29 pm

Richard:

Those words were mine and from a review "in progress" that I had posted on a thread at the Green Place (since deleted). I had not posted the review here as I have since been asked to write a full review of both books for Magicol... This review will provide more context regarding the statements in the extracted material above.

Andrew

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 13th, 2011, 2:35 pm

I hope you were being quoted out of context.

Potty the Pirate

Postby Potty the Pirate » April 14th, 2011, 3:18 pm

Ahoy fellow magis! I joined this forum after reading this thread. May I contribute a little to the discussion (or should I say argument?)
I have a copy of "Lives of a Showman" (which I paid for at the going rate). Though I don't know Mark Lewis personally, I've come to understand his persona through the internet, and may I say what a wonderful character and funny guy he is! Of course his personality doesn't always come across so well via the luminous screen you're looking at, but many folks find him one of the most interesting and engaging contributors to magic websites (even though he is banned from most of them).
Though I've not yet got past chapter one of his book, much of it resonates with me, and so far I'm absolutely enthralled. I'll be happy to provide a full review once I finish the book (may be some time, as I don't read a great amount each day).
It is with some chagrin that I read this thread, realising that Mark has many enemies here.
May I make the observation that this forum presumably represents one of the leading Magic Magazines, and in my opinion, it's rather inappropriate for such a magazine to endorse some of the content that is written here. Still, Mark Lewis is evidently one of those guys you either love or hate - a bit like Marmite. I suspect that anyone reading his book will come to understand him a whole lot more....I'd far rather read the autobiography of this crazy dude than that of a star in the magic world. Herein lies true humanity, not a list of celebs and fancy parties.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 14th, 2011, 4:29 pm

Potty writes, "Though I've not yet got past chapter one of his book ... ."

Then why are you writing about it?

Denis Behr

Postby Denis Behr » April 14th, 2011, 4:57 pm

I bought it, read it all, and liked it a lot. I know that there is little love for Mark Lewis on several online magic boards for well-known reasons, but this book was everything that I expected, and in a good way. I don't see how anyone interested in biographies of people that have to do with magic cannot like it, except for personal agendas.

Potty the Pirate

Postby Potty the Pirate » April 14th, 2011, 5:06 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Potty writes, "Though I've not yet got past chapter one of his book ... ."

Then why are you writing about it?

...er, if you read my post, I think it's clear. So far, the book is very good. And I have enjoyed Mark's contributions on magic forums (when he's been permitted). Already after chapter one, the book is engaging, and reminds me of my own childhood. As I said, a review proper will be forthcoming when I finish it.
Any book that can hook you in with the first few pages is unusual...as most don't. I recognise Mark's rather wandering style, and I like it. Already there have been several funny diversions, such as how to get the best result should you find yourself in court. And like Mark, I met the Royal family when I was young, and showed off a card trick.
Mark is very readable, unlike so many folks who try to put their lives down on paper. Watch this space for more....

AJM

Postby AJM » April 14th, 2011, 5:13 pm

Back so soon?
Corner-person Begrudger

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » April 14th, 2011, 5:41 pm

In an odd way, Potty, I think the first chapter is possibly the weakest, so if you enjoyed that, you will find it goes uphill from there. Pages 183 to 185 are my favourite! JR
www.ComicMagician.com
www.Magician.US.com
www.BestAssemblies.com
www.SpiritualStage.com

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » April 15th, 2011, 9:31 am

I think Mark Lewis's next book can be a compendium of aliases.

ERHutchison

Postby ERHutchison » May 6th, 2011, 8:42 pm

I very much enjoyed Mark's book.

The reader who is interested in learning a new trick will be disappointed. So, too, will the magic historian. But for those who feel they would enjoy the humorous reflections of someone who has spent a lifetime in the magic trenches, this book is a winner.

The book reminded me of Gene Gordon's wonderful book, "Magical Legacy." (I can almost hear someone rushing to write that Mark is no Gene Gordon.) But, in my opinion, both books make good reading even for people who know little or nothing about magic.

Full disclosure: Although I have never met Mark, he has, once or twice, been kind enough to praise my books on mentalism and hypnosis.

Edward Hutchison

www.ERHutchison.com
Edward Hutchison
Madison, MS
www.ERHutchison.com

Steve A Glaser

Postby Steve A Glaser » May 20th, 2011, 1:10 am

I understand the aversion many have to Mark. I used to share it. This is not the time and place to go into why I no longer do. However, for those who still have an open mind on the issue, or interest in the book, or interest in how Mark comes across when not relying on the electronically printed word, here is a link to download an hour long interview with the man. It will take a while to download. I found it worth it.

http://www.browsersden.ca/MarkLewis.wmv

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 20th, 2011, 3:15 pm

David Britland gives the book a very good review in the June issue of Genii.

Return to “Buzz”