Mike Caveney Book Signing at Magic Castle

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
caveman

Mike Caveney Book Signing at Magic Castle

Postby caveman » November 19th, 2010, 8:10 pm

I know it's short notice but this Sunday night (Nov. 21) I'm doing a talk about my new book, Classic Correspondence from Egyptian Hall Museum at the Magic Castle at 8:00 pm. I'm bringing over some vintage posters, photos and letters that appear in the book and will talk about how I research the letters that I have annotated. Hope to see a Peller Theater full of you. And then stay after to see Kalin and Jinger in the Palace. If any of you already have a copy, I would love to hear what you think of it.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Mike Caveney Book Signing at Magic Castle

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 19th, 2010, 11:37 pm

I saw the book here at the Genii office before sending it off for review. It's pretty spiffy, and Mike always gives a good talk. Hope lots of you can make it. Unfortunately I'm on the wrong side of the country.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

Postby JohnCox » November 19th, 2010, 11:40 pm

Unless I get called to work at the last minute, I plan on being there. Looking forward to it. Dish some good Houdini info and I'll put it up on my blog. :)
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 20th, 2010, 2:12 am

I was one of the first lucky purchasers of this tremendous book (and I was in fact the very first person to have his copy signed by the author).

It is beautifully produced and a terrific read. Without a doubt, Miked Caveney writes the most entertaining footnotes to appear in any book ever published.

Though much of the material appeared in the pages of MAGIC, in this volume the author is able to expand on his engaging, often amusing, and always informative commentary. He is also able to print the complete texts of the letters that required truncatingbecause of space limitationsin the magazine. Couple all that with a bunch of images, many in color (the book is produced in full color versus just color plates; a first for Mr. Caveney) that never appeared in the magazine and you get a great value.

Though the books title page doesnt carry any indication that this is the first book of a series, the Roman numeral I appears on its spine. I look forward to the subsequent volumes that will carry II, III, and hopefully onward on their spines.

Dustin

David Linsell

Postby David Linsell » November 20th, 2010, 11:39 am

I wish to echo what Dustin has just said. I put my order in immediately following receiving the email announcement from Mike. I enjoyed reading it very much, and truly didnt want it to end.

The idea of annotating the letters is brilliant. But it wasnt just the letters themselves that were fascinating; it was Mikes expanded historical background and other supporting details that brought them to life. It is the context and overview he provides that makes this project so valuable.

The design and presentation of the material makes the book a joy to the eye, as well as the mind.

The quote on page 114 not only sums up the great value of the book but also elegantly describes what I (and I suspect many others) gain and appreciate from collecting and studying magic history and artifacts:

All performers, whether famous or otherwise, have a story to tell. Each of these stories creates a unique thread and by weaving theses thousands of threads together, a tapestry is formed which reveals the fascinating history of conjuring.

As I said, I truly didnt want to come to the end of the book, but like Dustin I am encouraged. I too noted the roman numerical on the lower bottom of the spine. I hope this implies future volumes. I am sure theres much more material to draw on, and a wide audience anxious to read and learn more about our art.

David

JohnCox
Favorite Magician: HOUDINI!

Postby JohnCox » November 22nd, 2010, 1:29 am

Fantastic talk at the Castle. The information on Kar-Mi was particularly interesting. Real gold in these letters. Thank you, Mike.
Visit my blog Wild About Harry

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » November 22nd, 2010, 3:19 am

Ditto.
The MacGician®

houdini's ghost

Postby houdini's ghost » November 22nd, 2010, 11:45 am

Oh boy, was that ever great! Mike spoke at a good clip, but, we all got all of it. He brought some wonderful things for show and tell.
I've been a magic history buff for about 56 years.
I didn't know anything about what Mike discussed. I knew who all the people were: Allan Shaw, etc. but I didn't know anything about those Kar-mi posters I've been seeing all my life. Or who he was or his magic. Or all these fascinating things about Shaw, Raymond, Okito, Carter. Marvelous!
The period he covered in this talk, for the most part, coincided with the depression and the demise of Vaudeville.
It reminded me of an old joke:
"Do you think talking pictures are harmful to children?"
"They are if their parents are in Vaudeville."

caveman

Postby caveman » November 22nd, 2010, 12:40 pm

Thanks for the kind words about my new Classic Correspondence book and thanks also to those who took the time to attend my talk last night at the Castle. It was nice to see the Peller Theater full for a talk on magic history.
Since these articles first appear in MAGIC magazine, they are written with a general magic audience in mind rather than just the history buffs. But I always try to work in some information and graphics that I know will appeal to the hard-core historians as well. A little something for everyone.
Once the articles move from the magazine into a book, I am no longer restricted to two or three pages per article and I'm able to include additional photos, posters and expanded annotations. I know better than anyone that these history books are not big sellers so I really appreciate your support.

Frank Dudgeon
Favorite Magician: Ricky Jay

Postby Frank Dudgeon » November 22nd, 2010, 12:49 pm

I purchased Classic Correspondance at the recent Yankee Gathering from Mike, and I was immediately impressed by how beautifully it is produced. An elegant volume. And, of course, the contents more than live up to the presentation.

Mike Caveney's labors of love are much appreciated.

Lisa Cousins

Postby Lisa Cousins » November 23rd, 2010, 4:39 pm

This was one of those Magic Castle events that pretty much had an all-star AUDIENCE. As mentioned by others, the Kar-Mi stuff was a huge revelation (although I admit that Mike's alternating Kar-ME and Kar-MY pronunciations have left me a bit shy to discuss the story out loud).

My favorite part, though, was Mike's response to the question "Do you have any letters that you feel you would never publish?"

Mike's answer: "Actually, there are two that I've read many times, and could never bring myself to publish. And I'll tell you all about them."

Wow!

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 23rd, 2010, 4:48 pm

Well?

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » November 23rd, 2010, 8:56 pm

Nope, he didn't. :(
The MacGician®

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 23rd, 2010, 8:59 pm

I think they're sold out.

caveman

Postby caveman » November 24th, 2010, 1:24 pm

OK, I'm busted. I decided to produce a special edition that contained an original old letter that was tipped into the book in it's original envelope. These letters were between 50 and 100 years old. On another page I tipped in an annotation of this letter for owner. I figured if someone was interested enough to buy a book about annotated letters, they might like to have an original letter too. Each book came in a matching slipcase. I had enough letters to make 50 copies and I knew that there would be 50 happy customers and a bunch more unhappy ones who didn't get a deluxe copy. I offered them to some of our long standing customers and they were gone within days. My only other option was to not produce a deluxe edition at all and then I would be unhappy. These books were never publicly advertised.
Note to Lisa Cousins: I have heard Kar-Mi pronounced both ways for so long that I don't know which is correct. To tell you the truth, I didn't even realize that during my talk, I was using both pronunciations. I usually say Kar-mee but pick either one and you'll be fine.

houdini's ghost

Postby houdini's ghost » November 25th, 2010, 10:40 am

The Westerners call this the Gen-ee forum, The Easterners, not all, call it Gen-eye.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 25th, 2010, 11:31 am

It's Gee-nee. Not Gee-neye.

houdini's ghost

Postby houdini's ghost » November 25th, 2010, 11:54 am

I couldn't agree with you more!

Return to “Buzz”