Broken Wand - Polaris (Carl Melish)

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
karlraven

Broken Wand - Polaris (Carl Melish)

Postby karlraven » November 7th, 2010, 5:35 pm

Polaris passed away Nov 4th 2010 around midnite from a sudden heart attack. He was a longtime friend of mine, but ask anyone who knew him and they will tell you the same. He spent many hours at my house working on various magic
effects and we filled in for each other when one couldn't make a show. Polaris Performed at Webster Hall for many yearsas well as America Resturant, and many other places until finally at Dewy's Flatiron 210 5th Ave near 25th St. in Manhattan.
A student of the late Slydini, Polaris always knew how to earn a living from his magic. Chris Capehart always said that Polaris had the best spots when they worked the streets.
He will be sorely missed. RIP and goodbye old friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13264GUqBuw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mostIpg9ivI

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Broken Wand - Polaris (Carl Melish)

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 7th, 2010, 6:55 pm

I knew Carl well. He must have been fairly young?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

karlraven

Postby karlraven » November 7th, 2010, 8:24 pm

He was 54.
Carl Albright

M.Lee

Postby M.Lee » November 7th, 2010, 10:04 pm

Just spoke to Maryann the other night ...Simply can't believe it ..Bobby Baxter , then my dear friend Frank Brents, Charlie Reynolds and now my pal Polaris..What a Yr. and only 54 !

Carl & I knew each other for mor than 20 ys and we did many a restaurant gig in the NYC area .. We just did one together this past August and he was in great forum..and who could miss or even forget that LAUGH... it could be heard a mile away...You just knew it was Polaris.

My understanding is Carl didn not have much in the way of funds set aside for medical,let alone a rainy day.. so im wondering if at all possible for the IBM/SAM if either of these organizations would have funding for a decient burial and a Head stone for Carl

I inforned Maryann that some form of a Memorial will be presented in the upcoming months , but as of right now her main concern is a decient burial for Carl

RIP Carl..We always had fun !

Michael Lee

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 8th, 2010, 5:37 am

If he was a member of the SAM, they have a fund that might help to cover some of the burial expenses (I think).
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » November 8th, 2010, 6:50 am

I'm saddened to hear of the death of my friend Polaris, Carl Melish. He had a fine version of Ring Flite which I purchased from him. We used to hang around together at Tannen's.

He was too young.

Stan Willis

Postby Stan Willis » November 8th, 2010, 7:36 am

My wife and I met Carl(Polaris) at the "97 Magic On Manhattan Convention. He was always a gentleman who was not hesitant to share some of his magical knowledge with a fellow magician. My condolences go out to his family.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 8th, 2010, 8:02 am

He was one of the Saturday morning at Tannen's group - and along with folks including Joe Monti part of the Saturday afternoon gatherings as well. He was always a positive influence on our informal gatherings. Apocalypse magazine has a few of his items from way back in those days.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Churchwell

Postby Churchwell » November 8th, 2010, 10:44 am

I'm going to miss my friend Carl. We met a long time ago. I at Canastels and he at America. I would go to see him perform in his tux and utility belt. I would wait on the upper floor bar in the back. We would hang after work discussing magic or go perform in the street. He had a great laugh and many times he would point to my shoulder where there laid the coin that were in his fingers moments earlier.
Then he worked at Tannans for a while. He had a lot of interest in my invisible string effects and when tannans was slow we would go over my effects of the jumping cigarrett or jumping spoon. Carl liked string effects.
Then he started working a Webster Hall. He would call me to come visit him. Never with a cell I had to search each floor and look for bubbles or listen for his giggles to find him. When I did he would be doing something with a raccoon puppet. I used his ring flight. I still have it.
I will miss you Carl. I will miss your laugh and every once in a while I will look for that coin on my shoulder!

TC Churchwell

Stmarkus

Postby Stmarkus » November 9th, 2010, 6:29 am

I can honestly say my world just got a lot smaller.Carl was my first magic teacher, and my best friend. I accompanied his wife Mariann to the hospital, only to find out the worst. She is holding up okay (at times), and arrangements will be shortly forthcoming. This is just way too hard to believe. We spent so much time together for almost the last 15 years. Just hanging out in diners working card effects, or whatever. Or just talking about life. Carl was a warm, gentle hearted great human being, who had the greatest unique laugh, and loved people as much as he loved magic. Today, the world is a little less magical....Rest in Peace My Brother, My Mentor, My Friend........

Mark Stitz

Stmarkus

Postby Stmarkus » November 9th, 2010, 1:54 pm

Funeral arrangements are still in the process of being made, however anyone wishing information regarding donations for Carl, may contact either myself, Mark Stitz at Stmarkus999@aol.com, or Thomas Solomon at info@thomassolomon.com.

Thank you

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » November 9th, 2010, 6:17 pm

Always had a nice smile, a great laugh, the softest handshake, and the strongest New York accent. He was always good to me.

Last month I got a call (up here in the mountains) from a gal that was putting together an adult party...and she remembers this guy entertaining in a NYC nightclub...and I was like..."Polaris!" "Right she says"...wants me to do that sort of entertainment.

Thanks for spreading magic to the thousands. I will miss him dearly.

Mike Rubinstein

Postby Mike Rubinstein » November 13th, 2010, 3:52 pm

Carl was one of the first coin magicians I met, back in the 70's in New york. I will never forget his excitement and my astonishment, when he performed his 3 O'Clock Nip, which he had put into Apocalypse. In his hands it was a miracle, and looked like real magic. I had seen Carl over the years, but not for a long time. This is sad news, indeed. R.I.P., old friend.

trip666

Postby trip666 » November 13th, 2010, 4:57 pm

I knew Polaris when I lived in New York in the late 90s.

He was a great guy and a fabulous magician. Always smiling and laughing. I remember many times going to Webster Hall and meeting up with him. I would marvel at the balls he had when he used an ITR. He would string it between people and I would get nervous. He was so casual about it that no one ever came forward and accidentally broke the line. It was amazing to watch.

Polaris was the man!!! He was such a good-natured fellow that it was just fun to be around him.

Man, as they say, only the good die young. Well, it's good to know that a guy like that left an impression on everyone he met.

Great guy. He will be missed.

Greg

Stmarkus

Postby Stmarkus » November 15th, 2010, 9:35 pm

Funeral Arrangements for Carl (Polaris) are as follows:
this Sunday, November 21, from 10:30AM to 12:30 PM
at the Greenwich Village Funeral Home
199 Bleeker Street (between 6th Ave and McDougal)
NYC

Again, for information regarding donations contact Mark Stitz at Stmarkus999@aol.com or Thomas Solomon at info@thomassolomon.com

Thank You

Stmarkus

Postby Stmarkus » November 20th, 2010, 1:48 pm

This was just sent to me by an old friend of Carl's...

http://carlmellish.com/

Joe Monti

Postby Joe Monti » November 21st, 2010, 3:42 am

For my dear friend Carl,
My heart pains as I write this. My eyes are blurred by tears.

We are all part of everyone we have ever known.... Good or bad. Carl is my GOOD.

I've known Carl for more than 30 years. He has been a great friend, a talented entertainer and the kindest and most giving person I've ever met. His laughter was special. His presence always made me smile because he was never without a smile.

In 30 years There's not one bad thing I can say about him. Not one. How wonderful a legacy that is. To me that IS greatness. We can all learn from his life. To be better people, to love more and live more.

Knowing him has been a privilege that I will never disrespect. I will strive to be a better person because Carl has given me a precious gift...... His friendship. Carl was and is a great man.

I will never forget Him. I love him and I'll miss him.
We are all part of everyone we've ever met. I'm so blessed to have met you Carl. Rest in peace.

Joe Monti

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » November 21st, 2010, 4:24 pm

[size:14pt][font:Book Antiqua]I'm just back from the Carl Melish (Polaris) Memorial Service. I am very proud of our magic community who came together to pay tribute & support his family at this difficult time. It was a celebration of a person who touched us all in such a special way.

It was my honor to be part of his memorial and perform the broken wand ceremony for my brother in the magic arts. Thank you Carl for sharing your magical life with us.

Rest in Peace.[/font][/size]

M.Lee

Postby M.Lee » November 21st, 2010, 4:59 pm

The Moving memorial for my pal Carl Melish (Polaris) Memorial Service has just completed. Thank you to everyone in the NY magic community for an Amazing turn out for one of NY fellow performers, and for the words of kindness spoken during the service.

Carl was simply a really good human being who will be missed, im sure that Maryann. very much appreciated the turnout and the Financial contribuation made by so many to help a fellow performer and his family.

I Believe that there is power in numbers and the huge Heart of our Great NY Magic community made its self know yet again...Thank you all.

If Carl were here to see what took place here in NYC today would he have believed it ...ABSOLUTLY !!!

RIP Carl

Michael Lee

Stmarkus

Postby Stmarkus » November 21st, 2010, 6:06 pm

I was deeply moved, as Eric DeCamps began Carl's tribute with Joe Monti's words...
"We are all part of everyone we have ever known"..... These words rang out like a bell to me, as they struck such a chord of truth....And at that moment I realized how truly fortunate I was to have had Carl as a friend...His magic, laughter, joy and love will always have a special place in my world, in my heart and in my mind....That will go on as long as I do...
Because of him...

I'm extremely grateful to everyone in the Magic Community for their help in making this event possible with their support, dignity, compassion and caring for a wonderful human being, whom I was proud to call mentor, brother, and friend..... Good bye Polaris....May You Rest In Peace...

Mark Stitz

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » November 21st, 2010, 6:10 pm

Thanks to Mark Stitz for sharing this tribute with the readers of the Magic Newswire: http://bit.ly/buh31L

Churchwell

Postby Churchwell » November 21st, 2010, 6:20 pm

I watched and felt each person story about Carl. He touched so many and again was able today to bring people together and bring out emotion. I heard lots of stories of Carl the magician and the man but the greatest part of Carl was the performer and not only will he be missed by his fellow magicians but by the thousands of spectators he performed too, Carl will always be a part of my memories of magic. I will miss you Carl.
The images I took today of the Memorial and celebration of Polaris are available through Eric DeCamps or myself. My Email is Thomaschurchwell@earthlink.net

Riley G Matthews

Postby Riley G Matthews » December 5th, 2010, 5:23 am

Sorry to hear of the passing of my NYC friend... Rest in Peace my Brother...
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
Film Actor & Mentalist
http://www.RileyG.com

Return to “Buzz”