Internet Paranoia Validated?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
David Alexander

Internet Paranoia Validated?

Postby David Alexander » October 18th, 2010, 11:49 am

Magic Newswire

Re: Internet Paranoia Validated?

Postby Magic Newswire » October 18th, 2010, 12:14 pm

Indeed it is. I have been telling people for years to be conscious of what you pot in any public forum. You may believe that your Facebook posts and information are only viewable to your "friends" but don't bet on it.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » October 18th, 2010, 12:36 pm

The "permanant record" that we used to be threatened with as children now actually exists.

Tom Gilbert

Postby Tom Gilbert » October 18th, 2010, 1:03 pm

Set to private or not, Facebook isn't secure. I deleted my account a year ago.

Anthony Vinson

Postby Anthony Vinson » October 18th, 2010, 2:58 pm

No more secrets! For years now HR departments have been scanning social networking sites before making job offers. I'm only glad that this technology wasn't available when I was young and dumb...

Can you imagine what political races will look like ten or twenty years from now?!

John B. Pyka

Postby John B. Pyka » October 18th, 2010, 5:01 pm

And people just think I'm shallow and self centered because I post show related stuff...
John B. Pyka
www.johnpyka.com

"Big Daddy Cool"
www.bigdaddycoolmagic.com

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » October 18th, 2010, 5:22 pm

"Privacy is dead, get over it." Scott McNealy, Sun Microsystems co-founder 1999

http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/ ... p_security

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » October 18th, 2010, 7:03 pm

I haven't deleted my Facebook account, but I do use it differently than most do. With all these issues in mind, I find it very useful.

SteveP

Postby SteveP » October 18th, 2010, 8:55 pm

Anthoyn Vinson:
"No more secrets! For years now HR departments have been scanning social networking sites before making job offers."

Oh yes, absolutely. When I was a sales manager at Network Solutions I used to do this. Typically I knew a lot more about the person I was interviewing than they suspected. My primary reason was to see how internet savvy they were. Since the company was a dot com and sold internet marketing services, we wanted sales reps who knew this stuff inside and out.

Deleting Facebook accounts isn't the answer though. Facebook isn't a problem if you know how to use it. There's no reason you need to open up your life to everyone online. No one cares about what you're doing anyway, so why put it out there for the world? Look at your friends list. Hundreds of people on there, most you probably don't know anyway. How often is anyone reading every status update that pops up?

With someone like Dodd, for example, there is value there. He wants eyeballs on his site. It's a great way to update people who follow his site. If I were selling products, I'd have as many magician "friends" as I could get. Because the real truth about social media is it's just marketing now. There is too much money to be made to ignore it.

Online Reputation Management. I seriously considered going into this aspect of online marketing. It's just the ability to get what you want to be found in the top of the search engines, driving down the stuff you don't want people to see. It's big business. Even if you have no intentions of participating in social media, it's worth having the accounts in your name (including your name as a domain name) in case you ever needed them for online reputation management.

But as noted above, privacy is a thing of the past. Deleted your Facebook account? No problem, we will track you through your bank transactions, your grocery store purchases and your surfing habits. We know who you call and how much you owe on your credit cards. Every search inquiry is captured, noted and advertising is pushed to you. Your email address has been bought and sold many times over. If it wasn't a vendor you do business with, then it was your ISP.

Facebook is the least of our privacy problems.

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » October 18th, 2010, 9:23 pm

There are federal laws that control banking and credit card information - no federal laws control information gathered by store loyalty programs, search engines and most of the areas Steve mentioned.

Most of these "privacy atack vectors" exist because we give the information in exchange for a discount or free service. There is no such thing as a free lunch!

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 19th, 2010, 4:03 pm

Looks like folks still have not read Doctorow's scroogled.

So is it true magicians really use signed cards for ceremonial magical purposes long after shows and to get their bills paid?

Return to “Buzz”