Screen legend Tony Curtis has died....

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dale Shrimpton

Screen legend Tony Curtis has died....

Postby Dale Shrimpton » September 30th, 2010, 6:21 am

Long time supporter of the magic arts, and for many the face of Houdini, Actor Tony Curtis, has died.

He will best be rememberd by most , in movies such as Some like it hot, Trapeze, the vikings, Monte Carol or bust, Spartacus, and of course as the title role in Houdini.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YicOtYyf ... re=related

he was 85.

http://www.etonline.com/news/101349_Bre ... index.html

what follows is a facinating interview with him, about the iconic television series, the Persuaders...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=St1VRlvSWi0

Riley G Matthews

Re: Screen legend Tony Curtis has died....

Postby Riley G Matthews » September 30th, 2010, 6:22 am

Rest in Peace my fellow SAG Brother...
Signed,
Riley G Matthews Jr
Film Actor & Mentalist
http://www.RileyG.com

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » September 30th, 2010, 6:37 am

I am saddened to hear this. I was very fortunate to have an opportunity to speak with Tony about magic and Houdini in February of last year. Rest in Peace!
http://bit.ly/cwFxwu

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » September 30th, 2010, 6:57 am

So sad. Mr. Curtis is one of the few of the last greats when Hollywood was Hollywood, something the new generation will never have the joy of connecting with.
Whenever "Some Like It Hot" is on TCM, it's impossible to not watch. It's funny every time.
A few years ago the musical version of "Some Like It Hot", "Sugar", toured in the area and it was a thrill to see Tony Curtis (in the role of Osgood, the millionaire). Rest in peace, good sir.
Condolences to Jamie Lee Curtis and all the family and friends.
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » September 30th, 2010, 8:00 am

Another legend departs. Blake Edwards' wonderful slapstick movie "The Great Race", in which he co-starred (as The Great Leslie) with Jack Lemmon (as Professor Fate), is one of my alltime favourites.

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » September 30th, 2010, 9:32 am

If such things are possible, let us hope that both Tony Curtis, and Jack Lemmon are hanging about on a cloud somewhere, talking about the good old days.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » September 30th, 2010, 12:29 pm

I'm very saddened to read this news.

"The Great Race" is my all time favorite moviethe greatest comedy ever made in my opinionand has been my favorite since I saw it at the Highway 39 Drive-In Theater with Mom and Dad when it came out.

I never miss it when it's on TV (regardless of the hour) and I'll never forget when a local channel (5) in LA played it every night of an entire week. I watched it each night of course, and I was in heaven.

It was the first VHS movie I actually purchased (versus renting) and snapped it up the moment it was released on DVD (and "Some like it Hot" was the first DVD movie I purchasedthe second greatest comedy ever made).

Collecting memorabilia from "The Great Race" is second only to collecting magic. (Sorry Richard, but my Disney stuff comes in #4, behind Johnny Carson.)

But with his (purposely) over-the-top performances in "The Great Race" and "Some Like it Hot, and of course his turn as Houdini, we cannot forget his stupendous work with Sidney Poitier in "The Defiant Ones" and his chilling turn in "The Boston Strangler."

And one more thing: If not for Tony Curtis, Roger Coker (of Milo and Roger) doesn't get his driver's license so the two can hit the road touring and be "discovered."

Though saddened by his passing, I am happy that the last decades of his life were filled with sobriety and true love and happiness with his wife, his horses, and his paintings. And thanks Mr. Curtis; thanks for all the happiness you brought to my life.

Dustin

Jim Martin

Postby Jim Martin » September 30th, 2010, 12:32 pm

I was in 2nd grade when 'Houdini' was the NBC Movie of the Week on a Saturday night in 1966 or so. His performance was part of getting hooked and checking out every magic book in my library. I even did a locker escape for the class. Thanks Mr. Curtis.

The performance in 'Some Like It Hot' is singular. 'The Great Race' kills.

May he rest in peace.
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

Diego

Postby Diego » September 30th, 2010, 12:34 pm

His movie, "Houdini", is still the best done, most entertaining movie about Houdini, to date. A movie made with the backing of what remained of the older studio system, with two very hot/attractive/talented stars of that time, (Curtis & Leigh) that attracted a big audience.

"Houdini" in the theaters and repeated showings on TV, helped continue/grow the legend and myth. (Many still believe Houdini died in the "Pagoda" Torture Cell.)

The many who became interested in magic because of this film, cannot be underestimated...not unlike the many who later took up martial arts, after seeing, "Enter the Dragon."

On "At The Movies", TV show, Siskel and Ebert once did a show on movies that made an impression on them, when they were growing up. Ebert listed "Houdini", as one of them, connecting the movie with the appeal magic has for many young guys like himself, who also wanted to enjoy fooling/impressing others, and try doing magic themselves.

Diego

Postby Diego » September 30th, 2010, 12:41 pm

Yes Jim, I also remember seeing "Houdini" on NBC Saturday Night at the Movies, I believe in 1965, for the first time. What an event!

When the movie listed Harold Kellock's book on Houdini in the credits, I checked the book out of the library, and kept renewing it to read it over and over.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » September 30th, 2010, 12:44 pm

Quentin;
You might also enjoy "Those Daring Young Men in their Jaunty Jalopies". Tony Curtis will be missed. He was a one of a kind.
Jim

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » September 30th, 2010, 1:37 pm

"I wouldn't be caught dead marrying a woman
old enough to be my wife" - Tony Curtis

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » September 30th, 2010, 2:38 pm

There will never be another like Tony. Just last week, I received a signed photo of him as Houdini. I also have one from the Flintstones, which he signed "Stoney Curtis". If you want to do something in his memory, please go to shilohhorserescue.com and make a charitable donation to this very worthy cause. For as little as $10, you can become a "Feed Fairy" by purchasing one bag of "senior" horse feed, their most needed item. You can also make a purchase from tonycurtis.com (including photos and other items signed by Tony, while they last), which will also benefit the Shiloh Horse Rescue, which is run by Tony's beautiful wife, Jill. Both sites accept Pay Pal. Tony would really like you helping out his favorite charity in his memory. You may also send condolences to Jill at shilohhorse@aol.com.
Last edited by Don Hendrix on September 30th, 2010, 6:11 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Created links

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » September 30th, 2010, 2:55 pm

Tony Curtis was my hero. I saw him on the NBC movie too in 1965. That's what started it with me and collecting. I met him a few times over the years and he always impressed me. Maybe because of my hero worship I saw him in a different light. To me though, he was Tony Curtis on and off the set. I will truly miss him.

I posted some photos of him on by blog. I hope you enjoy them. Here is the link.

http://houdinihimself.com/?cat=3

Kevin
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Terrence

Postby Terrence » September 30th, 2010, 7:16 pm

"The Great Race" has the Dashing Tony Curtis, animated gleams and all, appearing with my all-time favorite beauty on the screen Natalie Wood, and now they're both gone.

#2 funniest moment in that film IMO is Ross Martin's over-accurate dive into his awaiting escape boat, but #1 is still Tony Curtis not getting hit a single speck of pastry in the big pie fight until the very end.

That one's way up there on my loved movies list too Dustin.

:(

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » September 30th, 2010, 9:02 pm

Tony's memorial service will be Monday, Oct 4, at 11AM at the Palm Mortuary, 7600 S Eastern Ave in Las Vegas, not very far south of the airport. It is open to everyone. I hope to see some of you there. Also, if you are looking for Tony Curtis memorabilia, forget Ebay. Tonycurtis.com still has lots of 8x10 photos, many from Houdini, signed by Tony, available for $30 each, including shipping. This is a real bargain, and the profits go to Tony's wife, Jill's Shiloh Horse Rescue, a very worthy charity. There are also more expensive items available, including a Houdini poster, prints of Tony's paintings, and signed copies of his books. Shipping may be delayed because of a flood of orders, but, so far, I believe that everything on the site is still in stock.

Diego

Postby Diego » October 1st, 2010, 3:40 am

Your trivia question is the name of the OTHER movie, that Tony Curtis also performed magic in?

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 1st, 2010, 10:13 am

Quote: "Your trivia question is the name of the OTHER movie, that Tony Curtis also performed magic in?"

The Boston Strangler.

Terrence, I can see The Great Leslie walking through the kitchen--pies flying all about him--saying, "Miss Dubois...oh Miss Dubois" now. (How fun must have that scene been to make? My favorite moment is Max appearing at the door, yelling "Hey Professor!" and receiving a rapid-fire deluge of pies; bam-bam-bam-bam! What is there not to love about that movie (including a deliciously damp Natalie Wood in her negligee)?!?

So, if you'll excuse me, I have a boat waiting.

Diego

Postby Diego » October 2nd, 2010, 1:26 am

But what in what movie, does Tony Curtis manipulate eggs, making them disappear and appear...then cracking one egg to find a little chick, but when the star of the movie cracks his egg, he literaly gets egg on his face?

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » October 2nd, 2010, 1:47 am

I believe that was Spartacus.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 2nd, 2010, 8:20 am

I am Spartacus.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » October 2nd, 2010, 10:16 am

I'm Spartacus!
Please visit my website.

AJM

Postby AJM » October 2nd, 2010, 12:42 pm

I'm Spartacus...

and so is my wife!

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » October 2nd, 2010, 10:52 pm

Is anyone who is attending the Innovention planning to travel, from the Suncoast Hotel, to the Tony Curtis memorial service on Monday morning? I am looking for a ride or someone with which to share a taxi. Thanks.

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » October 10th, 2010, 11:04 am

There's a Tony Curtis film marathon today and tonight on Turner Classic Movies.
Smiles all around

Postby 000 » October 10th, 2010, 11:51 am

Its a great pity the Houdini movie didnt have 'the real deal' ending.

Diego

Postby Diego » October 10th, 2010, 12:21 pm

I was discussing the Houdini movie with a magic historian yesterday, and one reason this movie got some into magic was that watching the movie, was like looking at the illustrations in a Douglas MagicLand catalog: Doing magic could make you cool...be like Tony Curtis, with Janet Leigh, (or someone like her) with you, by doing magic.

i believe Tony Curtis wrote it was either ironic or appropiate, that the son of a poor Hungarian-Jewish family, who rose from poverty to fame and fortune, would play in a movie, the son of a poor Hungarian-Jewish family, who rose from poverty, to fame and fortune.

Philippe Billot

Postby Philippe Billot » October 10th, 2010, 1:14 pm

"Quentin Reynolds: Another legend departs. Blake Edwards' wonderful slapstick movie "The Great Race", in which he co-starred (as The Great Leslie) with Jack Lemmon (as Professor Fate), is one of my alltime favourites.

And don't forget Peter Falk who played the servant of Pr. Fate.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » October 10th, 2010, 2:46 pm

It's on TCM tonight.
Please visit my website.

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » October 11th, 2010, 12:51 am

I attended Tony's funeral last Monday and was surprised by the shortage of Hollywood folks and magicians. Perhaps, I just did not see them. It was a very nice service and well-attended by family and friends. A reception for family and friends followed at the Luxor. Some great stories were told, especially by his youngest daughter. His wife Jill has printed her entire eulogy on her blog at shilohhorserescue.com. It might be of interest to fans. She has also posted some cute photos of Tony walking a pig, a side of him that you might not have seen before. Also, I believe that tonycurtis.com still has many autographed Houdini-related items in stock. They will probably not last much longer. He was a wonderful person, and there aren't many left from his generation of movie superstars.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » October 11th, 2010, 1:15 am

Don,

Sadly, Hollywood no longer exists.

Now I must go watch The Great Race.

Sleep is for the weak.

Dustin

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » October 11th, 2010, 12:21 pm

Dustin,

You are correct, but, if you go to Burbank and take a tour of Warner Brothers, you will find the closest thing to it. At Warners you can walk down the street where the "Great Race" started. I am watching it this morning. That's why God invented Tivo.

Doug Thornton

Postby Doug Thornton » October 12th, 2010, 2:59 pm

Here's the link to the blog and eulogy that Don mentioned.

http://tonycurtisonline.blogspot.com/
Smiles all around

Return to “Buzz”