Announcing a new event in Las Vegas ... 3 days of non-stop magic ... IMX 2011

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

My take on IMX 2011

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 28th, 2011, 6:33 pm

My take on IMX is a mixed bag. Personally I enjoyed myself, but I know of some folks who had complaints, mostly regarding the schedule. Many dealers I spoke with were not thrilled by the way the time was used. Some of the performers were unhappy while others were very happy.

Im not going to write a full review, I will leave that to those who attended most or all of the events: something I did not do which was a result of a combination of what I believe was an imperfect method of scheduling, personal choices, and misreading the event schedule (OOPS!). What I will do is toss out some random thoughts that I wrote down as they came to me (so they are in no particular order). Some of these will be meaningless to many, understandable and relatable to some, and open to interpretation by most. Please to enjoy

Random Thoughts on the First IMX

How long is the wait at the cab line?!?

Limousines are great when someone else is paying

The Orleans new slogan: Hey: You Get What You Pay For

It looks like Air Supply could use one

What I like about David Acer:
His shows
His lecture
His table manners
That he uses the syllogism method for the Coins to Glass
His charming companion

Grandma Leereally?

The establishment formerly known as Butchies

Germains Rosebush

Chris Kenner is a wonderful human being

Dan has a scan app and Chris doesnt?

The show starts at ten, right?
Yeah, we still have lots of time.

It turns out that at magic conventions, Mardi Gras beads dont work like they do in New Orleans

Kids from the USA can learn a lot from kids who hail from South Africa

Richard Sanders almost makes me wish that I wear laced shoesalmost

The Davids: Berglas and Copperfield and a once in a lifetime moment

Breakfast in Las Vegas ends at 11:00amreally?

Chris Capehart isnt Chinese

With the right connections, eight bucks and a Zippo money clip can buy you a DVD

Chris Capeharts marked cards for old guys with old eyes

Chris Capehart aint just Kiddin Around

Magicians should not be responsible for making their own schedule

Cups and Balls by Home Depot

Heinz is SEEEXY!!!

For my first illusion, my assistant will disappear and then reappear inside this (sort of) television
For my next effect, I will reproduce my assistant after first causing her to vanish from inside the same box.
For my next trick, my assistant will dematerialize and then rematerialize while inside this little box
Finally, my assistant will levitate above me and then I [jump] and I will [jump] then [jump] I will levitate up to her!

Op Art is not a vanish

Its only 24 hours

Unexpected gifts are fun!

Okay, really, how does David Kaye do it?

WOO HOO!!! #1: I made it through without gambling!

WOO HOO!!! #2: I made it through with having any pizza!

Turns out that Richard Kaufman, Banachek, and I have something in common even if for only 24 hours

Because of the people, ALL magic conventions are great!

Congratulations Craig and everyone involved in IMX: And thank you!

Dustin

CraigMitchell

Re: My take on IMX 2011

Postby CraigMitchell » May 28th, 2011, 11:56 pm

Thanks Dustin - was great seeing you again

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 30th, 2011, 12:30 am

We have just posted dozens of photos on the IMX Facebook site
Stay tooned.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 30th, 2011, 2:53 am

Don Hendrix

Postby Don Hendrix » May 30th, 2011, 10:59 am

Limited access to the dealer room saved me a bundle. I was told by more than one dealer that they would not be returning next year, if there is a next year.

The talent line-up was superb. The schedule made it impossible to see everything that I wanted to see.
It would have been a better convention if it had lasted longer than three days and given us a chance to see more.
The schedule that was made by each attendee didn't seem to matter, as there was nothing to prevent one from attending any session at any time.

One of the highlights for me was having breakfast with Michael Ammar. He stayed for a couple of hours and only left when someone came and told him that he had to go upstairs.

The quality of the video projection in the lectures and shows was not nearly as good as it was at WMS in the same rooms.I suspect that the lighting was partially responsible for this. This is something that could be easily corrected. The camera was often showing the wrong part of the presentation.

The schedule was sometimes changed and sessions were moved and there was no way to communicate this to attendees. I downloaded the IMX app on my ipad, but it was useless as source of information. No updates after the convention started.

Because of those in attendance, I had a wonderful experience. The best parts of the convention, for me, happened outside of the sessions. But I suppose that is true of all conventions.

Worth the price of admission for me was Boris Wild, who I had not seen before. I had no idea that he was such a wonderful performer. His new act provided the most emotional experience for me.

Dave V

Postby Dave V » May 30th, 2011, 11:15 am

What was limited about the dealer room? I had more than enough time to blow my magic budget for the year, and then some.
"I still play with a full deck, I just shuffle slower"

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 30th, 2011, 11:23 am

Most of the time the dealer room was a ghost town: completely empty. There was very little time when the dealer room was open that some other event (or multiple events) were not taking place.

I heard many complaints from attendees that they did not have time to eat lunch, socialize, or shop because of so many overlapping events.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » May 30th, 2011, 11:31 am

With regards to the dealer hours - the initial schedule was determined by the dealers themselves ... But extended dedicated hours were definitely still needed. Even with so many sessions on the go ... And an incredible array of choice - one dealer still reported this as being one of his most profitable events. But it's feedback like this that is so valuable and appreciated. Pls keep it coming.

The response has been overwhelmingly incredible and can only but help make things even better for future! You can continue to mail your thoughts and suggestions to info@imx2011.com

The David Berglas video submissions from Andy Nyman and Uri Geller can now be found at www.Facebook.com/imxlasvegas

More pics and memories on their way ...

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 30th, 2011, 12:34 pm

Craig is correct: I did hear one dealer say it was his most profitable convention. But the reports from most dealers were so-so to poor regarding business.

It's hard to balance a schedule to give attendees what they want, but not overburden them, while also making sure they get enough that they feel satisfied. The convention format is not easy to get right and that's one of the reasons that Genii has not put on a convention.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » May 31st, 2011, 4:12 am

It was a great event though, from a presenter's point of view, it was the most exhausting convention I've ever worked! Well worth it though.

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » May 31st, 2011, 5:59 am

Interesting thoughts here on the dealers.

In my experience from organising small conventions, some people complain about there not being enough dealers while at other times the dealers bemoan the lack of time thy have to sell.

Over the years I and the rest of the guys who organise with me have been astounded by some of the small little glitches we have seen at other events. Glitches that become big annoyances for attendees, performers and dealers.

The dealer/registrant ratio and balance is very important. Also, from our experience, closing dealers during events is the only way to go. Unless your talking Blackpool here.

Also this year we held most of our day time events in the same room the dealers were set up in. We also used this area as our coffee dock/chill out area. This meant in essence that there was always a buzz in the dealers area. Hence they made decent money.

At our gig this year we did everything with the delegate and/or presenter in mind.

Did we get it all right? No, of course. No mirror back stage for performers was one of a number of things that were pointed out on our feedback forms.

Actually it got me thinking about putting together a "How to" pdf on organising small conventions. Or at least a "How we did".

Craig, by the looks of things IMX was superb. Hope to see it run again and hope these small glitches don't get in the way of future events.

Brendan
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » May 31st, 2011, 8:05 am

As usual, Scott Wells was on location to do some interviews and to capture some of the magic that those of us that were unable to attend missed. Listen here: http://bit.ly/l0SXUF

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » May 31st, 2011, 5:07 pm

Was listening to the Magic Newswire podcast on the way home from work. Mr. Wells has done another great job in providing a glimpse into another convention I couldn't attend in person!
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Return to “Buzz”