Magic dealers sharing email addresses

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Rob James

Magic dealers sharing email addresses

Postby Rob James » May 4th, 2010, 3:48 pm

Recently I have had found myself added to mailing lists for L&L Publishing and Gregory Wilson. What's odd is they used an email address that is not on my website, nor do I ever use it when making purchases. The only way they could have got hold of it is if someone shared it with them.

In the UK we have a law called the Data Protection act which prohibits the sharing of personal data in this way. I am not sure what the law is in the US..

I hope this isn't a trend that continues - I really don't want to be on the receiving end of countless spam emails (Gregory Wilson's email was him trying to earn money as an affiliate of some ridiculous $1000 marketing course)

Incidentally, I sent both L&L and Mr Wilson a polite email asking how they got hold of my email address but they both chose to ignore my message.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Magic dealers sharing email addresses

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 4th, 2010, 5:39 pm

They didn't get it from us. We never share our lists.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 4th, 2010, 6:44 pm

Rob James wrote:Recently I have had found myself added to mailing lists for L&L Publishing and Gregory Wilson. What's odd is they used an email address that is not on my website, nor do I ever use it when making purchases. The only way they could have got hold of it is if someone shared it with them.

In the UK we have a law called the Data Protection act which prohibits the sharing of personal data in this way. I am not sure what the law is in the US..

I hope this isn't a trend that continues - I really don't want to be on the receiving end of countless spam emails (Gregory Wilson's email was him trying to earn money as an affiliate of some ridiculous $1000 marketing course)

Incidentally, I sent both L&L and Mr Wilson a polite email asking how they got hold of my email address but they both chose to ignore my message.

Look at the full header from the email and report the spam to their ISP. abuse@ispdomain.com always works.

The Magic Apple

Postby The Magic Apple » May 5th, 2010, 2:09 am

Like Genii, THe Magic Apple has NEVER given out e-mail address.
Send Gregory Wilson an e-mail, I'm sure he'll clear it up with you
TheMagicApple.com
818-508-9921
Follow us: @The_Magic_Apple

Rob James

Postby Rob James » May 5th, 2010, 4:06 am

The Magic Apple wrote:Like Genii, THe Magic Apple has NEVER given out e-mail address.
Send Gregory Wilson an e-mail, I'm sure he'll clear it up with you

I did. He ignored it.

SteveP

Postby SteveP » May 5th, 2010, 8:00 am

I only maintain L&L's website and have nothing to do with their email newsletter, so I can't address the above comments. I did set L&L up on ConstantContact which is a great newsletter service and allows you to unsubscribe with one click, which I would encourage you to do.

The reason for mentioning that is some people feel that if you click "unsubscribe", that you're really not and you've just confirmed to a spammer that the address is live. With ConstantContact it really does take you off of that list. If you report it as spam, ConstantContact is made aware of that too.

Write to whoever you want to write to, but take it upon yourself to remove your email from the mailing list. There is an unsubscribe link at the bottom of every email.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » May 5th, 2010, 8:09 am

ooh, if they are on constant contact you can REALLY screw them up. CC have a VERY VERY strong antispam policy. Send them an email complaining and they will more than likely lose their account.

http://www.constantcontact.com/contact/index.jsp

As someone that only ever does permission based opt in email it really annoys me when people stoop to scraping email addresses from forums, or wherever to send spam. Shocking behaviour.

Adam Christing

Postby Adam Christing » May 5th, 2010, 10:44 am

Hi Fellow Magicians,

About the recent Gregory Wilson email blast promoting "Getting the Gigs!"

-My name is Adam Christing. It is my course "Getting the Gigs!" that Gregory Wilson endorsed. Please know that it was Not our intention to email anyone who had not opted in! (Nor was that Greg's intention of course). We have respected every single opt out and sincerely apologize if you were emailed inappropriately.

-Also: If you emailed Gregory about this and haven't heard back yet, that is because hundreds of responses have come in and he/we are still going through each one. BTW, 95% of these responses have been positive, as Gregory is truly a creative genius in the world of magic. He is also a man of integrity.

-The "Getting the Gigs" course is many things. But "silly" or "overpriced" it is not. A number of the busiest magicians, not to mention dozens of professional speakers and comedians, have used it--and the private coaching that comes with it--to get booked in a very substantial way. No performer has returned this course or asked for a refund.

Though I have made my living in the corporate arena as a booker and performer, the magic community matters to me! (I have been a member of the Magic Castle since the age of 17).

Thank you for your patience on this matter. And if you emailed me or Gregory Wilson, we will be getting back to you personally.

Sincerely,

Adam Christing

email: adamchristing@yahoo.com

www.InspireLaughter.com
www.GettingtheGigs.com

SteveP

Postby SteveP » May 5th, 2010, 6:00 pm

The best way to deal with spam is to plan before you subscribe. This works best if you have your own domain name. Set up a unique email address for every subscription. So if your domain is magicbob.com and you want to subscribe to ABC Magic Co, then set up abcmagic@magicbob.com. Do this for everything. geniimag@magicbob.com, magiccafe@magicbob.com and so on.

If you've subscribed to a lot of sites, then it can be a pain to get set up initially, but once you have it in place you have complete control. If you see that your email has been scraped from a magic forum or you were subscribed to another list, you can identify where it came from, report it if necessary and delete that email address so you don't have to deal with it again.

As I mentioned previously, it's easy to unsubscribe in these situations. Most of the time, if they're using a good mailing service like Constant Contact, aweber, mailchimp, etc, the unsubscribe link is at the bottom.

These companies work hard to make sure their customers are abiding by the user agreement. If there are a lot of spam reports going back to the ISP, then the ISP can blacklist the domain or threaten to blacklist the mailing service if they don't stop the spammer. This can result in the company sending out the spam being locked out of their accounts.

There are laws in the US against spam, but like anything else legal, it costs money to pursue.

Return to “Buzz”