Ebooks - the pros & cons...

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Jonathan Townsend
Posts: 8172
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Westchester, NY
Contact:

Re: Ebooks - the pros & cons...

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 1st, 2010, 6:52 pm

with resale rights no less. wow.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

DrDanny
Posts: 293
Joined: January 22nd, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Sunnyvale CA

Re: Ebooks - the pros & cons...

Postby DrDanny » February 1st, 2010, 6:53 pm

I wonder if the authors of those ebooks know they granted "resale rights" to someone? Much fishy about that auction.

David Alexander
Posts: 1549
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Aurora IL

Re: Ebooks - the pros & cons...

Postby David Alexander » February 1st, 2010, 7:58 pm

This is material from a torrent that's been around for awhile. I know for a fact that Docc Hilford has not sold electronic rights or resale rights to his work. I suspect the others on the list haven't either.

I notice this is coming out of Malaysia where copyright is difficult to enforce.

jason156
Posts: 197
Joined: August 6th, 2008, 5:38 pm
Favorite Magician: Bro. John Hamman, Simon Aronson, David Regal
Location: Central Florida

Re: Ebooks - the pros & cons...

Postby jason156 » February 2nd, 2010, 12:42 am

Joe Pecore wrote:Here are some nice ebooks: http://cgi.ebay.com/1000-Magic-Tricks-I ... geNameZRSS



That listing has gone bye-bye....

User avatar
Tim Ellis
Posts: 927
Joined: July 11th, 2008, 4:08 pm
Location: Victoria
Contact:

Re: Ebooks - the pros & cons...

Postby Tim Ellis » February 2nd, 2010, 1:27 am

mrgoat wrote:
Ian Kendall wrote:If you are adding nothing to the PDF, distribution is the biggest bonus. But it's not worth the stress if people downloading it will cause you sleepless nights.

Take care, Ian


It's not just the pirates worrying Mr Ellis. It's the evil people with iPads maliciously BUYING his content too that troubles him.

Sleepless nights with worry must be the standard MO in the Ellis household.

I agree. He shouldn't publish them if it concerns him so.


You're both missing my point.

Ian Kendall
Posts: 2455
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Edinburgh
Contact:

Re: Ebooks - the pros & cons...

Postby Ian Kendall » February 2nd, 2010, 4:10 am

Perhaps you could restate your point, Tim. I really thought I had it.

Your original post seemed to be concerned with copyright infringement and piracy, and your last post seemed to be a sarcastic dig at people who bring dogdy DVDs to lectures. You asked for advice.

Mine, based on my small world of self publishing CDs and PDFs, is that the advantages greatly outweigh the disadvantages. I feel you would benefit from putting the material out electronically in increased sales, but only if you keep the price to a sensible level.

Take care, Ian

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: Ebooks - the pros & cons...

Postby mrgoat » February 2nd, 2010, 6:12 am

Tim Ellis wrote:You're both missing my point.


Oh, I thought you were just being sarcastic because you think piracy is a massive danger to your livelihood and I posted lots of research and evidence showing you the opposite is true?

So rather than engage in any kind of debate or discussion, by - say - showing us evidence which backs up your POV, or discredits the Canadian, British and Norwegian research outfits I quote you just post snarky little digs?

What point are we missing?

Jonathan Townsend
Posts: 8172
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Westchester, NY
Contact:

Re: Ebooks - the pros & cons...

Postby Jonathan Townsend » February 2nd, 2010, 9:17 am

Tim Ellis wrote:...
You're both missing my point.


The arrow claims the target moved?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

David Alexander
Posts: 1549
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Aurora IL

Re: Ebooks - the pros & cons...

Postby David Alexander » February 2nd, 2010, 9:18 am

jason156 wrote:
Joe Pecore wrote:Here are some nice ebooks: http://cgi.ebay.com/1000-Magic-Tricks-I ... geNameZRSS



That listing has gone bye-bye....


I reported this to eBay stating that this was a well-known torrent and that I knew for a fact that Docc Hilford never produced his material as ebooks or gave permission for "resale." Twenty-four hours later the listing was toast.

User avatar
mrgoat
Posts: 4257
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Brighton, UK
Contact:

Re: Ebooks - the pros & cons...

Postby mrgoat » February 2nd, 2010, 6:57 pm

Jonathan Townsend wrote:
Tim Ellis wrote:...
You're both missing my point.


The arrow claims the target moved?



Amusing. And notably a post of yours I didn't need to use a dictionary for ONCE. Not ONCE I tells ya!

David Alexander
Posts: 1549
Joined: January 17th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Location: Aurora IL

Re: Ebooks - the pros & cons...

Postby David Alexander » February 5th, 2010, 12:49 pm

The Big Boys are still fighting.

http://blogs.zdnet.com/BTL/?p=30489&tag=nl.e539

User avatar
NCMarsh
Posts: 1222
Joined: February 16th, 2008, 12:00 pm
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau
Location: Orlando, FL
Contact:

Re: Ebooks - the pros & cons...

Postby NCMarsh » February 5th, 2010, 12:55 pm

The irony of the situation is that greater competition is leading to higher prices...


Return to “Buzz”