Top Magic Events of the Decade

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Magic Newswire

Top Magic Events of the Decade

Postby Magic Newswire » December 29th, 2009, 2:35 pm

I'm working on a show to wrap the year in which I'd like to include emails, videos and audio comments from the listeners.

Please email me a link to your video or audio comment in which you describe the event that you see as the most significant event in the world of magic over the last decade.

Is it a David Blaine special? The opening of Believe? The Masked Magician?

Please keep the videos and audios to no more than 60 seconds in length. If you'd just like to send me an email with your thoughts, I'd love to get those as well!

My email address is MagicNewswire@gmail.com

Thanks in advance. I hope that you'll be as excited by this idea as I am and send me your material as soon as possible. Ideally, I'd like to have these links and emails no later than by midnight on New Year's Eve!

Thanks in advance.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: Top Magic Events of the Decade

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 29th, 2009, 2:46 pm

While one certainly can say something like "over the last decade" meaning simply "the last ten years," I would like to point out that the first decade of the 21st Century still has one more year left in it. 2010 is the last year of that milestone "decade."

One does not start counting with zero.

Dustin

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » December 29th, 2009, 2:58 pm

I was wondering how long that would take. Yes.. I understand that...

Kinda like we celebrated the millennium in 2000.

In any case, I'd still like your videos and audio for the last 10 years. ;-)

Gordolini

Postby Gordolini » December 29th, 2009, 3:05 pm

Decade: a period of ten years; esp., in the Gregorian calendar
a) officially a ten-year period beginning with the year 1, as 1921-1930, 1931-1940, etc.
b.) in common usage, a ten-year period beginning with a year 0, as 1920-1929, 1930-1939, etc.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 29th, 2009, 3:24 pm

Yeah, well "common usage" often sucks.

Like one does not stand behind a podium. One stands ON a podium BEHIND a lectern.

Sorry, but I cannot help myself. These are just some of the ways my little bit of OCD reveals itself. (It was recently--and I believe correctly--pointed out to me that most magicians have a touch of it; we must!)

The news media is going bonkers on the whole end of the decade thing and, to me, its irresponsible since it cements a belief that is just plain incorrect.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » December 29th, 2009, 3:30 pm

either way.. what was the one moment in magic that stood out for you both?

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 29th, 2009, 3:56 pm

My Slap-Chop.

Gordolini

Postby Gordolini » December 29th, 2009, 4:15 pm

Attending the IBM/SAM 2008 Combined Convention (in addition to meeting Dustin among many there).

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » December 31st, 2009, 6:14 pm

Thanks guys!

I just finished recording our round table. I was thrilled to get audio comments on the last decade from an amazing group of magicians including Michael Ammar, Johnny Thompson, Danny Garcia, Jamy Ian Swiss, Brian Brushwood, Banachek, Ben Robinson, Simon Lovell, Harry Lorayne, Jim Steinmeyer, David Kaye , Jim Callahan, ,Todd Robbins, Richard Kaufman, Stan Allen, Jeff McBride, Dustin Stinnett, Eric Decamps, Tim Ellis, Paul Daniels , Bill Gladwell, Mark Wilson & Paul Draper! I should have this online for your listening pleasure tomorrow.

Happy New Year!

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 31st, 2009, 8:32 pm

BTW: There's only one 'n' in my last name. Oh, and how long is my segment? I need to subtract it from my 15-minutes.

Thanks!
Dustin

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » December 31st, 2009, 8:58 pm

;-)

Sorry for the typo Dustin. Thanks for your contribution! This episode was a lot of work, but was also a lot of fun!

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » January 1st, 2010, 12:10 am

Happy New Year guys. Have a great 2010!

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » January 1st, 2010, 2:42 pm

The New Year's Day special edition of This Week in Magic is now online!
http://bit.ly/85xuQg

As a reminder, Chase, Scott, Cameron and I are joined for a look back at the last decade of magic by Michael Ammar, Johnny Thompson, Danny Garcia, Jamy Ian Swiss, Brian Brushwood, Banachek, Ben Robinson, Simon Lovell, Harry Lorayne, Jim Steinmeyer, David Kaye , Jim Callahan, ,Todd Robbins, Richard Kaufman, Stan Allen, Jeff McBride, Dustin Stinnett, Eric Decamps, Tim Ellis, Paul Daniels , Bill Gladwell, Mark Wilson & Paul Draper!

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 1st, 2010, 9:23 pm

This was a terrific listen, even if I tainted it for a few moments. There were some nice surprises. I immediately recognized who the mystery guest was: I was quite pleased with myself for that.

One thing: I do think that MagicTalk predated the Magic Caf, and by quite a bit of time. In fact, Im pretty sure that Steve posted about its creation on MagicTalk.

My first experience with a magic BBS was actually a David Copperfield fan site. But when I posted, I sort of alluded to the secret of a trick and Bob Klass told me that I might be better off at MagicTalk, which is where I went until this here Forum lured me away with the promise of fame and fortune (still waiting).

But I got off track

The round table was great. I highly recommend it. And around the 90 minute mark, you can hear (I think) Scott Wells say, Im sorry, who was that? after my little spiel. I loved it!

Thanks for the opportunity Dodd, I really enjoyed doing it and listening to it!

Dustin
Last edited by Dustin Stinett on January 2nd, 2010, 6:48 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: Fixed a misused word that vexed a reader who doesn't know "your" from "you're"

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » January 1st, 2010, 9:29 pm

I believe MagicTalk=1998 and MagicCafe=2001
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » January 2nd, 2010, 2:14 am

You'd be right Joe. And I have to throw in that the original version of the current website that I produce was first online in 1994 at an old school (pre-domain owning) address of http://www.netdepot.com/~gargoyle It was hosted at that address because I was one of the founding partners in that ISP which was among the first in Atlanta to offer dial-up services and high speed dedicated connections for businesses.

It stayed that way until late 1996 when I registered the domain name Linkingpage.com but still managed to be recognized as one of the top 100 sites of the year by "The Net" magazine.

Today it is MagicNewswire.com though LinkingPage.com still works as do many other domains which I'll refrain from mentioning here. I was a member on all of those boards and linked to every magic site that I could find.

Dustin, I am sure that you are aware of this, but Scott wasn't saying that he didn't know who you were, he just didn't hear your name when it was first stated. ;-)

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » January 2nd, 2010, 7:51 am

Magic Newswire wrote:The New Year's Day special edition of This Week in Magic is now online!
http://bit.ly/85xuQg

As a reminder, Chase, Scott, Cameron and I are joined for a look back at the last decade of magic by Michael Ammar, Johnny Thompson, Danny Garcia, Jamy Ian Swiss, Brian Brushwood, Banachek, Ben Robinson, Simon Lovell, Harry Lorayne, Jim Steinmeyer, David Kaye , Jim Callahan, ,Todd Robbins, Richard Kaufman, Stan Allen, Jeff McBride, Dustin Stinnett, Eric Decamps, Tim Ellis, Paul Daniels , Bill Gladwell, Mark Wilson & Paul Draper!

Maybe next decade you could get some people that others have heard of to make this more interesting?

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » January 2nd, 2010, 7:31 pm

Yeah... sorry to have disappointed with all these unknowns. ;-)

Return to “Buzz”