Opinions required.

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Mark.Lewis

Opinions required.

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 25th, 2009, 1:35 pm

Normally I believe that I know everything but on this one occasion I am now a trifle uncertain. This is because of the most irritating James Munton who is so irritating that he has been kicked out of the Genii Forum despite the entreaties of I and my fellow irritant Jolly Roger for his reinstatement.

It is all do to with my wondrous literary masterpiece entitled "The Lives of a Showman"

A young Vietnamese journalism student wrote a little article about me for her class and I liked it so much that I decided to include in my book as the very final words. Even though Munton hadn't actually read it he advised me privately against including it and I can't remember why. I think he thought it wasn't relevant since I didn't write it myself.

I would like some opinions regarding the matter. James may of course have changed his mind by now since I sent him the book in the hope that he would send me a copy of his very expensive marketing course which he hasn't even written yet in return. He will now have seen the context in which it was written and the article itself.

Anyway I would like to get the opinion of all the knowledge boxes here.

I will post the article in my next post. But here is the introduction to it. The article will be the very last words of the entire book.

Now a few years ago a young Vietnamese journalism student named Mai Nguyen was given an assignment to write an article about Toronto magicians. She phoned loads and loads of magicians in the city to see if she could come out and see one of their shows. She had no luck in this search until she came across me. I told her that there was indeed a place where she could come and watch me work. It was not at a corporate engagement, or a circus, or a night club or a theatre. It was at a flea market. However she could watch me for as long as she wanted and in fact she stayed for several hours.

She wrote such a charming little article that I wanted to include it in this book. Accordingly I asked her permission to reproduce it here and she kindly allowed me to do so. I think it is a fitting conclusion to this memoir and describes me exactly. Read it and enjoy it. I shall now take my leave before I place you in her capable hands. Good health, good luck and goodbye.

And there it is. Now before I reprint the article is anyone willing to comment on whether they think it should be included or not and the reasons for their opinion? I promise to look at each opinion positive or negative in an objective manner and weigh them all up carefully.

Ian Kendall

Re: Opinions required.

Postby Ian Kendall » November 25th, 2009, 2:47 pm

I would say not, simply because they are not your words. It would be a bit like Tina Turner showing up at the end of her biopic and taking the film from Angela Bassett (or something).

Better to type it up into a good looking PDF and offer it as an extra bonus to people who buy the book, giving a nice incentive for them to visit your website.

Take care, Ian

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 25th, 2009, 3:14 pm

Thank you Ian. You will be able to comment in more detail when you actually see the piece in question.
For the moment though I wonder if anyone else would like to comment once I post the actual piece. I feel that you would have a better picture of it once you actually see it.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » November 25th, 2009, 3:16 pm

Ian Kendall wrote:I would say not, simply because they are not your words. It would be a bit like Tina Turner showing up at the end of her biopic and taking the film from Angela Bassett (or something).

Better to type it up into a good looking PDF and offer it as an extra bonus to people who buy the book, giving a nice incentive for them to visit your website.

Take care, Ian

Good idea. Or indeed to give to people who sign up for an email newsletter from you.

IMAGINE THE SHENANIGANS you could have with an uncensored email newsletter...

I bet lots of people would sign up. Be better than the weekly crap from alakazam.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 25th, 2009, 3:27 pm

Despite advice from Munton and other clever people I am not going to include extra stuff for the magic community. No tricks. Nothing. The book is good enough to stand on it's own. I have plans that somehow or other the book is getting out to the public market. And I am quite determined to do this. Besides I have no idea what a PDF file is anyway. And the passage is not a big enough deal to make into a special bonus.

When I post the piece then opinions as to whether it should be included or not can be given. All I want to know right now is who is willing to give that opinion.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 25th, 2009, 3:38 pm

Often it gives a book an extra dimension when the subject is viewed through the eyes of another. In the case of an autobiography this is lacking unless done as a foreword or afterword, or any variation thereof.

So, I would seriously consider including the piece in the book. It provides some perspective outside the author's own view of himself.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » November 25th, 2009, 3:45 pm

If nothing else, that's the first time Mark has used my first name, so something has come of this :)

Take care, the Kendall personage.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 25th, 2009, 4:02 pm

Actually the reason I refuse to use the Kendall person's first name has nothing to do with Kendall himself. It is because a sleazebag of the first order scammed me many years ago and he had the same first name. I have always been reluctant to use it ever since even though it is a Scottish name.

As for Richard's comment it is indeed difficult for the author to evaluate his own autobiography.(although this is more of a memoir rather than a biography) So far only two people have actually read it from front to back and one of those two people is me. However in the last week I have sent out the book to a couple more people one of whom is James Munton and the other is a young lady who was the subject of one of the chapters. A fantastic woman grafter that I worked with for years. Neither Munton or the young lady has actually read the whole thing but they seem to like what little they have read. I shall post their comments shortly.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 25th, 2009, 4:07 pm

Here is what James Munton had to say:

"I think the book is wonderful. I haven't had much time to read it in the last few days - I'm up to the Ireland chapter.
I think this could be a best seller for magicians. I would keep it almost exactly as is. But perhaps I would add a few tricks and also your svengali pitch, and a whole chapter of your lines and bits of business. This would be gold to magicians.

Then after you have sold out to magicians, you can take all that stuff out and submit it to agents/publishers.
I have no idea about whether a mainstream publisher would be interested. It's so hard to know what they are looking for."

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 25th, 2009, 4:11 pm

Since Munton is banned at the moment, I'd appreciate if you didn't print any remarks from him.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 25th, 2009, 4:11 pm

And this is what Ann the wonder grafter said:

"Hi Ronnie, I like your raw writing style, detailed memory of events that had an impression, liked to hear about your "Symone" - almost as much a character as I was.. ha! The chapter about me was from your perspective and I found it amusing (did not agree with about 2% of it..) otherwise, you did what a good writer should do, like taking a picture with a camera, you captured a snapshot of a moment in time - your perspective is what it was... good work Ronnie.

Best wishes for the holiday season. (I'm going over to the UK)

Ann

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 25th, 2009, 4:18 pm

And here is more from Ann:

Re the other chapter, yes, I would be interested to read it. I believe I was the one to point out to you that your writing skills were excellent - (re the whole book) add a spoonful of drama, a pinch of bias and a viewpoint through an obscure veil.. and voila, I am sure it will make for great reading..

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 25th, 2009, 4:28 pm

OK. Richard. I don't want to talk about Munton anyway. I would far rather talk about me. But then I always do. I am afraid that I posted his remarks before I got a chance to see you telling me not to. We must have been posting at the same time.

But back to the passage from the journalism student. Who wants to see it and then be able to comment on it?

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 25th, 2009, 5:40 pm

I can't be bothered waiting any more. Here it is. I would like opinions on how well people think it is written and whether it should be included in the book. Personally I like it but am eager to get opinions on the matter.

The magician wriggles Jeremy the Magic Snake through his fingers, attracting a curious young boy who inches closer and closer.
Would you like to look at Jeremy? he asks. He likes children. He had one for breakfast this morning.
The boys mother approaches from behind and watches as the magic man slithers the furry, blue snake swiftly between his fingers, around a basket and through a book. Suddenly, the snake stops moving and falls asleep inside a glass jar. Oh no! Can you do me a favour, young man? When I say three will you wake him up? After the magic salesman counted to three, the boy loudly shouts, Wake up, Jeremy.
Magically, the blue snake swiftly slides up out of the jar and slithers back through the trickster's fingers. People, engrossed by the trick, stop to watch at a distance. Come in closer everybody. Dont worry, I wont pick your pocket. Ive got a brother out there that does that.
Sporting a black tie adorned with stars, playing cards and white rabbits, the 60-year-old magician regularly performs magic tricks at a flea market. He commutes on weekends to promote and sell his magic products. His booth attracts some of the largest crowds at the flea market.
Sometimes its tough to get peoples attention, but normally I can get a big crowd going.

As people begin to gather around the booth, the boy whispers to his mother, begging her to buy the snake. You nag your mother until she buys it, says the magician. Make her life miserable until she does. If that doesnt work, try your father. The mother ignores her son and walks him away from the booth.

At the booth, he revealed to his audience one of his most captivating tricks, the three-card trick. He lays out a three of diamonds, a four of clubs and a five of spades, all face up. Carefully, he flips each card over one by one, keeping them in order.
He singles out a young blonde woman. Can you tell me which card is the four of clubs, please?
She chooses the card in the middle with confidence. Before revealing it, He flips over the other cards, the three of diamonds and five of spades. He flips over the middle card. Its not the four of clubs. Its the queen of spades. The young woman is speechless. He picks up all three cards, fans them out and shows the audience. Now, the queen of spades had turned back into the four of clubs. The young womans mouth is wide open.
How did that happen? says the young woman. That is insane.
A young boy leans towards his sister and whispers, How did he do that?
Facing an open-jawed and wide-eyed audience, the magician continues with the performance. Can anybody tell me where the queen is? Does anyone know where the queen is right now? Everyone is silent. Ill tell you where the queen is, he says. Shes in Buckingham Palace, thats where she is. The silence is replaced with laughter.
He continues with a new trick and whips out a deck of cards, showing the audience that each card is different. He fans the entire deck across the table, face down. He asks a man wearing a leather jacket to pick a card. The man pauses, contemplating which one to choose.
Youre quite slow, the magician comments. Do you work for the post office?
The man finally chooses a card, keeping it hidden from the trickster. He reveals the card to the rest of the audience. The magician interrupts. Just make sure you remember that nine of hearts, sir. The man smiles and returns the card. Indeed, it was a nine of hearts.
Yes, we British are rather clever, says the UK magician. Thats how we won the Empire. I dont quite know why we lost it.

Now, I know what youre thinking, he continues. Youre thinking that all the cards were nine of hearts. Well, youre wrong. He flips through the entire deck of cards, revealing each card to be different. I told you. Theyre all different. If they were all nine of hearts, it would look like this. He quickly fans the same deck of cards across the table, revealing them now to be all nine of hearts. A bewildered woman grabs her partners arm and hides her face in his sleeve. Dont worry, though, says the magician. Theyre not all nine of hearts because like I told you, theyre all different. He collects the deck and flips through it once more, revealing all the cards to be different again.
Some audience members look at each other in astonishment. Some simply gaze at the cards. A teenager stares intently at the deck, rubbing his chin, trying to figure out how the trick was done. The bewildered woman and her partner are impressed. How much is it for those cards? asks the womans partner.
The snake is $5. The magic cards with instructions are $10. A cup-and-ball trick is $5 and the three-card trick is $3.
You can have the entire package, which comes with a book of 102 tricks, for just $20, but you can have my mother-in-law for free. The audience laughs. This entire package comes with a money back guarantee, says the salesman/magician Providing you can find me"

Meanwhile, the young boy who wanted to buy Jeremy the Magic Snake pushes through the crowd and returns with his weary-looking mother. He wont stop begging me, she says. He has been nagging me to buy the snake this entire time. I give up. She lets out an exhausted giggle as she reaches into her purse to purchase the toy snake.
With the toy snake in his hands, the boy walks away with a smile on his face.
.....................................................................................

There it is. I hope to God you don't steal all the jokes. After all you haven't bought the book yet.

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » November 25th, 2009, 6:17 pm

Sporting a black tie adorned with stars, playing cards and white rabbits

Right there, Mark, the respect just falls away into the abyss...

Your pal, Ian

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 25th, 2009, 7:11 pm

Kendall you are talking absolute rot. And you are certainly not my "pal". I am from Glasgow and you are from Edinburgh and never the twain shall meet. Besides I don't like your first name.

I never wear ties like that except when I am working either at a trade show or when selling svengali decks. It is what grafters call "flash" which means display of the goods or the booth or the demonstrator himself. It helps to bring crowds over.

I hope to God that Roger doesn't appear now to chatter about the pop up tie.

Anyway putting aside the sartorial matter do you still hold to your opinion that the piece should not be included and what do you think of the girl's writing?

David Scollnik

Postby David Scollnik » November 25th, 2009, 7:19 pm

I'd absolutely include it, so long as you attribute it properly (and clearly you plan to do so).

I wrote the above before I read the article in question. Now I'll go read it ...

Having just read it now, I still say include it. Nice words to close by, even though (maybe especially because) they are not your own.

Incidentally, it might be nice and good for sales if excerpts of your memoirs appeared in a magic publication, like in a magazine or something like that.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 25th, 2009, 7:29 pm

Thank you. I do appreciate your opinion on this. Do you think it was reasonable well written? And I do intend to credit the author. I did post this earlier and it introduces the article. Perhaps you missed it. Here it is:

Now a few years ago a young Vietnamese journalism student named Mai Nguyen was given an assignment to write an article about Toronto magicians. She phoned loads and loads of magicians in the city to see if she could come out and see one of their shows. She had no luck in this search until she came across me. I told her that there was indeed a place where she could come and watch me work. It was not at a corporate engagement, or a circus, or a night club or a theatre. It was at a flea market. However she could watch me for as long as she wanted and in fact she stayed for several hours.

She wrote such a charming little article that I wanted to include it in this book. Accordingly I asked her permission to reproduce it here and she kindly allowed me to do so. I think it is a fitting conclusion to this memoir and describes me exactly. Read it and enjoy it. I shall now take my leave before I place you in her capable hands. Good health, good luck and goodbye.
As for the magic magazine it occurs to me that is a very good suggestion.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 25th, 2009, 8:18 pm

I see my young student journalist has won some sort of award. I am rather pleased with this. For all I know if I include her piece in the book I might be quoting a future Pullitzer Prize winner. I will try not to let this influence people's opinions but look at this:

Del Bell Memorial Award
For overall academic proficiency in the first year of the four-year program with a demonstrated flair for news and feature writing.
Mai Nguyen

KirkG

Postby KirkG » November 25th, 2009, 10:21 pm

Keep it in the book. No reason not to, and it adds some nice flavor.

I would also like to second the suggestion that you create a pamphlet of the Sevengali pitch and few tricks and make that available to the magic community as a complimentary addendum. That would keep the secrets from the muggles at large.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 25th, 2009, 10:52 pm

Thank you Kirk for that opinion. It seems that only Kendall and Munton think that the passage should not be included but we haven't heard their final verdict on the matter yet. James will tell me privately since he isn't allowed to talk to me here. The Goat has given a rather vague verdict which I think supports the idea of not having it in the book but there is no real final verdict from him either.

There seems to be three saying yes and three saying very vague no's. So far the yes answers seem to be the strongest since there is more clarity to them. I am quite impressed with Richard's opinion since he is a publisher and author himself.

As for the addition of bonus items many people have advised me to do this but my instinct is not to. It would add to the cost of the book and it is too fiddly for my disorganised mind. And it confuses my marketing to the public too much. I can only think of one thing at a time and isn't one of them. I could change my mind but for the moment I think the book can stand on its own.

John M. Dale

Postby John M. Dale » November 26th, 2009, 1:27 am

Right Honorable Reverend Lewis,

Being an expert professional nobody, my opinion of whether to include the afore-delineated passage from the obviously talented journalism student is meaningless (for the record, I think it would be an excellent addition); however, please allow me to point out that it would be both somewhat redundant, and potentially detrimental to your profits, to include your Svengali pitch with the book since you currently sell it as a stand alone product.

JMD

mormonyoyoman

Postby mormonyoyoman » November 26th, 2009, 1:43 am

Definitely include the young lady's description. It is a much truer snapshot of what an audience sees and - more importantly for this - feels, than I think the performer can provide. And, if I'm guessing at the overall storyline of your book, it's a marvelous summing up of all the previous parts.

*jeep!
--Grandpa

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » November 26th, 2009, 3:50 am

Morning Mark,

It seems you've been across the pond so long you've lost your sense of irony. Tant pis.

After reading the piece I think it would be a fitting coda to the book. I look forward to the free copy you've been promising me for years.

Take care, Ian

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 26th, 2009, 5:33 am

Kendall. I am both Scottish and Jewish. Therefore I can assure you that you have more chance of getting a free book than I have of becoming Pope.

Which prompts me to go off on a tangent. I discovered during the course of writing the said opus that there are more Jews in Glasgow than any other part of Britain apart from London. This is because when many Jews fled Russia at the time of the revolution to go to America they ended up in Scotland instead by mistake. It seems that various Russian con men deprived them of the surplus portions of their boat tickets and they all got off in Glasgow instead of New York where they were headed. Since everybody was speaking English they all thought they were in America instead of Scotland. By the time they realised what had happened the boat had left. My grandfather was one of them and this is explained in the book.

But to get back to business I do thank Mr Dale, Mormonyoyoman and even Kendall for their endorsement of the young lady's piece. I was a trifle concerned because of opinions expressed to me privately by a couple of people that the piece did not belong in the book.

Now although approval of the young lady's writing is implied by the endorsement of virtually everybody here I would like to know what people think of her actual writing.I would like a little detail on the matter. I think it is good but what do I know?

A couple of people have told me that I am not a good writer myself. I don't think that is the case but for all I know they may be right. Oddly enough even though I brag about virtually everything else you will never see me brag that I am a good writer. That is because I just plain don't know. All I can do is the best I can and it doesn't matter anyway because I am the only one who can describe my own story so I have to write it for better or for worse.

Mai Nguyen's piece is a different story though. I would like to get a few comments on her writing negative or positive. If they are positive then all well and good. If they are negative then writers have to endure criticism anyway and I am sure she can handle it if she ever gets to hear about it.

With thanks in advance.

PS. Incidentally I do agree with Mr Dale's assessment that there is no point in including my svengali routine and it would not be fair to customers who have purchased it separately. There is still the possibility of including other material but my instincts are against it.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 26th, 2009, 6:47 am

I am happy to announce that I have received a private message that Mai's piece was "charming and well written". I am greatly pleased about that.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 26th, 2009, 7:27 am

And I see that she won another award in 2007

Jerry Gladman Memorial Scholarship
For the student who produces the best single story in a first year print course.
Mai Nguyen

I would jump up and down with great delight if I found out that it was my story that won her the award. Probably not I suppose.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 26th, 2009, 8:55 pm

Although I previously said that I had no interest in selling magic tricks as part of the book a very shrewd advisor has got me thinking otherwise although I still haven't decided. I actually have three very expert advisors on the publication of my wondrous memoir which is just as well since I know damn all about publishing a book which is going to be around 300 pages or more long. This is going to be a substantial work after all.

I think it is going to be hard backed rather than paper backed and my advisor tells me that I should enclose a separate small booklet consisting of five tricks only. It seems that the Eddie Fields book had something like this although I haven't seen it. Since my own book will be far more interesting than the Fields book and can stand on its own without such gimmicks I am reluctant to go along that route. I will however change my mind if I can see great dollops of money emanating from such a plan. My adviser insists that this will produce such revenue and since he thinks about nothing but money all day long I am inclined to believe him.

Anyway if I do go along that line these will be my five tricks. Every one is my own conception or my brilliant improvement on the conception.

First is my favourite trick. The Dotty Spots trick that is so easily underestimated by magicians. It can be purchased from your local magic shop for $5 but I wouldn't trade it in for a thousand dollars if it were offered to me. I have been doing it for 50 years and not once in those 50 years have I ever left home without a set. And what is more I have the greatest routine ever conceived with it. Jusk ask anyone that has ever seen me do it. This is the routine I shall place in the supplement to my memoirs if I decide to go that route. I can assure you that have seen nothing as good as this where paddle tricks are concerned.

Then I shall explain my wondrous method for the centre tear. It is brazen and effective. Nobody has anything approaching this for sheer effect and I believe it combines the best method of tearing (which is actually Al Koran's) and the best method of reading the torn bit (which is mine)

And now for the card tricks. There are three of them and as befits my fantastic talents with a deck of cards you are getting top notch material.

First we have my incredible Brainwave deck without a trick deck. Yep. Just a regular deck of cards which can even be borrowed. Exactly the same effect as the trick deck Brainwave but without the gimmicked pack. You simply ask a spectator to name a card and INSTANTLY you can show the card is reversed in the deck. The spectator can even spread through the deck himself. Only one card is reversed. You really DO reverse the card he names out loud before he names it. Go on you clever clods. See if you can work that one out. I bet you can't. By all means put your solutions on here and I will tell you whether you are right or wrong.

Then there is my famous Trick that CAN be Explained. This is my version of the Vernon trick but mine is far superior as befits my genius in these matters. The trouble with the trick in the normal run of things is that you have to fiddle about trying to bring the trick to an end. And the end is usually a bit on the weak side. My method does NOT encourage you to make it up as you go along. There is a SET PROCEDURE which always works and there is no fiddling about trying to make thing spell out properly. I am not one for this silly "jazz magic" I like things to work.

Next is my cards to the pocket routine sometimes known as up the cards up the sleeve It only uses seven cards and you only have to palm the cards once. It is direct and short and ideal for todays pace. Again bold and direct. My own brilliant invention.

The above are the five tricks I will describe in the supplement. Does it sound good?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 27th, 2009, 12:31 am

Yes, it does sound good.

Incidentally, I disagree regarding the Svengali material: it should be in the book. This book will be large and cost far more than the Svengali booklet does on its own. It's not as if the people who've already purchased the Svengali booklet are not getting something new in purchasing the large book.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 27th, 2009, 6:56 am

I respectfully disagree. The hard backed book will only be around twice the price of the svengali book. I think people would be annoyed if they paid $25 for the svengali routine and found it was given away free in the memoirs. I know I would be. Besides my svengali book is selling steadily already and I don't want that interfered with. In fact my memoirs will probably boost the sale of the svengali book anyway.

And I do not want any extra material in the book itself. It would be a separate little book entirely. That would mean giving my svengali book away free and that would horrify me.

The five tricks above have never been published and are entirely my own conception or improvements. They will be very valuable to magicians as they have been to me. That should keep them happy.

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » November 27th, 2009, 3:48 pm

I think the story is a great way to conclude the book, and should remain.

I do not think the book should contain any tricks or routines. JR
www.ComicMagician.com
www.Magician.US.com
www.BestAssemblies.com
www.SpiritualStage.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 27th, 2009, 10:40 pm

I love the young lady's piece and I am proud that it is in the book. I asked her permission and she was thrilled to have it in the book. Despite the fact that I asked here for opinions I was going to put it in the book anyway. I imagine it is a great compliment for a young student journalist to have her work quoted in an actual book.

I am just gratified that the opinions of her article here by forum members have been positive and feel vindicated over my confidence in her work and my decision to have it in the book no matter what happened. I feel that it is charming and well written. Furthermore nobody has ever described me when I have actually been selling those damn cards and I think she captured it quite well.Of course I tried not to snarl at the customers while she was around otherwise she might have ended up writing a different story.

As for Roger's observation about the bonus material I actually agree with him. Since however this will not be part of the book proper and a separate little book altogether I am rethinking my opposition to it. I certainly don't want a single trick described in the book proper. Once the book goes on sale to the public the bonus book will be eliminated. And the book WILL be sold to the public eventually by hook or by crook, the latter more likely than the former.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 28th, 2009, 10:24 pm

I CAN'T CONTAIN MY EXCITEMENT!!!

I hunted down Mai on the internet to tell her about the fuss on here about her article. I lost her e-mail address.

Anyway here is part of what she replied to me:

" I read the forum and it's great to hear that you've been getting encouraging feedback for your book. In fact, that piece I wrote about you actually received the Jerry Gladman Memorial Scholarship. I'd say it was one of the best pieces I wrote in my first year at Ryerson. My professor really enjoyed it so I decided to submit it for the scholarship. And lo and behold, it won. Maybe this bit of fact might help you decide whether it's a good fit for your book. :) Either way, I'm absolutely fine with whatever you decide. It sounds like your book is going to be a hit.

I speculated earlier on this thread whether her piece about me won the award. I didn't really think it did though. I am ecstatic to find out that she won a scholarship because she wrote about some scam artist svengali pitchman!

I feel like a proud grandfather or something.

The piece is DEFINITELY going in the book after that!

Jolly Roger

Postby Jolly Roger » November 29th, 2009, 1:49 am

That is wonderful news, Ronnie! I am surprised you ever even considered that possibly it should not be included. JR
www.ComicMagician.com

www.Magician.US.com

www.BestAssemblies.com

www.SpiritualStage.com

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 29th, 2009, 6:33 am

Roger. At no time did I ever consider not to have it in the book.
Even if she had not won the award and everyone on here said the piece was awful it would still have gone in. I can be very stubborn that way. I promised her and that as they say is that. Besides I LIKED the piece!

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 29th, 2009, 4:41 pm

Now that I have calmed down a trifle from my excitement I suppose I should ask what a scholarship actually is. The only university I ever went to is The University of Evil which is the title of one of the chapters of my book.

Does it actually mean the girl received revenue of some sort for writing the piece? I will be really happy if this is the case. If so she really deserves it. She travelled by public transportation to the suburbs where the flea market was located. She stood and watched for hours and took lots and lots of notes.

I am so happy it turned out to be such a valuable day for her.

But what the hell is a scholarship exactly? Is it different from another kind of award?

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » November 29th, 2009, 6:23 pm

A scholarship is usually a reduction of fees for an educational establishment. Hopefully, Mai had to pay less for her college tuition.

Take care, Ian

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 29th, 2009, 7:12 pm

I wonder how much? Anyway I am very pleased for her and well she deserves it.

Return to “Buzz”