New Book by Jim Steinemeyer, Ricky Jay & Mike Caveney Arrives

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
erdnasephile

Re: New Book by Jim Steinemeyer, Ricky Jay & Mike Caveney Arrives

Postby erdnasephile » November 10th, 2009, 10:44 am

John LeBlanc wrote:
Jonathan Townsend wrote:But what does this have to do with the latest offering from those who value our history enough to preserve some of its art in a coffee table book?

A well known figure in our weird little world participated in the production of a magnificent book that has high value to the history of magic, and refused to sign his name inside the cover of one or more of those books. I have several important books that have signatures in them; they add value to the history of that book.

It is true that celebs (magic and otherwise) have no obligation to sign things for fans or even acknowledge them. They don't "owe" us anything. Some fans' boorish behavior and lack of respect for the privacy and sensibilities of celebs often engender the chilly receptions they sometimes receive. Furthermore, sometimes (just like us) they are having a bad day, and their resultant lack of cordiality may have nothing to do with the request at hand.

What I have found, however, is that the vast majority of magic celebs are often rather accomodating if they are approached in a respectful, not overly-familiar manner, at an appropriate time and setting. (There are, of course, notable exceptions to this, but I don't worry about those--if they'd rather not be bothered, I don't deign to bother them. That's not to defend unwarranted churlishness, but I figure: why waste time trying to talk to someone who wants to act like a jerk?)

In short, if you treat them the way we would want to be treated, they tend to respond in kind.

Return to “Buzz”