Pendragon Arrest Details Released

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Magic Newswire

Pendragon Arrest Details Released

Postby Magic Newswire » October 24th, 2009, 12:18 pm

An article in the Santa Maria Times has published further details on the arrest of Jonathan Pendragon

She (Charlotte) said they were arguing in Jonathan's bedroom when "my husband slapped me really hard, threw me on the bed, pulled out a gun and threatened me." The gun was under a pillow on the bed.

"He said he'd shoot my feet first, then my knees and move up my body," Charlotte testified, adding that after making the threats, Jonathan fired the gun near her feet, which were hanging off the bed.

READ MORE

Mark.Lewis

Re: Pendragon Arrest Details Released

Postby Mark.Lewis » October 24th, 2009, 12:28 pm

How horrible. I must say that America is a very odd country with people buying guns like bars of chocolate. Boring Canada is not so bad after all. You may die of hypothermia but at least being shot is less of a concern.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 24th, 2009, 12:32 pm

Just the notion of having a loaded gun under the pillow in bed...
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » October 24th, 2009, 12:42 pm

I do have to say, that it isn't quite as bad as that Mark, but wedon't need to get into a gun control debate on the Genii forums. ;-)

Mark Collier

Postby Mark Collier » October 24th, 2009, 2:27 pm

I appreciate the update. They are magicians in the news. When I am performing walkaround or mingling before/after a show, people sometimes comment on articles they've read. I like to know what they are referring to so I can appear knowledgeable and informed.

I have no comment on the arrest other than to wish them both well and I certainly don't need to devolve into a discussion of politics and gun control.

Dodd, thanks for keeping us informed with this and other magic in the news (and I really enjoy the interviews).

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » October 24th, 2009, 5:37 pm

In the interest of full disclosure I should say Dodd has been extremley helpful and supportive of me and my setting up of my site some months back. Since then we correspond and chat occasionally.

That said and speaking with no agenda.

I feel Dodd has, right from the very start of this story, handled it with extreme tact, delicacy & maturity and in my mind has been nothing but absolutly professional. In fact I think Dodds reporting of this awful story has been the furthest thing from trash reporting possible.

Brendan
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

Dave V

Postby Dave V » October 24th, 2009, 10:23 pm

Thank you Dodd, for keeping us updated. I've met both of them in years past, most recently for Jonathan's return engagement at the Castle last year after his arrow accident. I know things have changed and they're going through hard times. Up until now, all we've had were rumors and speculation. Reporting the details should clear up some of that mess.

I wish both of them well, and hope they can put this whole dark chapter behind them soon.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » October 24th, 2009, 11:18 pm

Since magic is such a small community (and the community of "pros" even smaller), this type of story often engenders strong reactions because many on these boards know the subjects of such stories personally or have greatly admired them and their work. These reactions are understandable, and in many cases, laudable.

However, as painful or disgusting as this is for some, this is a legitimate news story whose details were given in sworn testimony by an credible eyewitness--it would not considered hearsay or gossip by journalistic standards.

Therefore, it is indeed fair game for objective reporting (just as public indiscretions by other noteworthy magi have been documented by Genii, MAGIC, and other magic news sources in the past).

As part of the magic press, Dodd's "job" is to report about the world of magic--not just the parts that are favorable to our heroes and friends. If one considers the alternative--just bury the story and/or present only positive views of events in the public record, objective reporting would seem to be the way to go.

In fairness, if Mr. Pendragon chooses to present his side of the case in court, that should be reported as well in an unbiased fashion.

FWIW, Richard himself has taken heat by being honest about some famous magicians himself, but I respect him and others who have the journalistic integrity to keep the magic public informed in spite of the criticism.

I realize others have perfectly legitimate viewpoints on this, and I respect them as well. This is just my opinion, nothing more.

Return to “Buzz”