Bruce Cervon Castle Notebooks Volume 5 !

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Terry

Re: Bruce Cervon Castle Notebooks Volume 5 !

Postby Terry » November 5th, 2009, 8:07 am

John,

I've directly heard from certain parties that permission to print certain material was legally obtained from the individual and/or their estate.

Why would L&L open themselves up to a potential lawsuit? Again, this should be addressed with Louis and not speculated about on a board.

Mark.Lewis

Postby Mark.Lewis » November 5th, 2009, 8:13 am

Oh Louis won't mind the speculation. I wouldn't if I were in his place. It will all help sales.

Jeff Pierce Magic

Postby Jeff Pierce Magic » November 5th, 2009, 8:32 am

The notebooks were copyrighted upon creation to Cervon, this is why the L&L reprints are scaned copies of the notebooks. Legally I think they (L&L, Cervon)are within their rights to publish the notebooks as is.
But I'm not a lawyer, just someone who recently went through the copyright process.

Jeff

JHostler

Postby JHostler » November 5th, 2009, 12:03 pm

Terry wrote:John,

I've directly heard from certain parties that permission to print certain material was legally obtained from the individual and/or their estate.

Why would L&L open themselves up to a potential lawsuit? Again, this should be addressed with Louis and not speculated about on a board.

I've speculated about nothing. My point was that one doesn't even need permission to publish unprotected content. I could, for example, deconstruct the method behind any given magician's pet effect and publish same (in my own words) with no legal consequence.
"The gnomes' ambition is handicapped by laziness." Adapted from Charles Bukowski, and clearly evident at http://www.gnominal.com

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 5th, 2009, 1:51 pm

As John noted, without binding trade secret/IP contracts it's perfectly legal to go and publish discussions and how-to's of anyone's tricks.

As to the ethical componant... as long as the Hoffmann Magic books are extant - as long as Expert Card Technique stands uncorrected and open access... nobody's gonna go claiming "things have changed".

If we want to get past the doublethink of magicians helping (vendors sell stuff to) magicians there's work to be done - preferably with the next couple of generations. Old dogs and new tricks so to speak.

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » November 13th, 2009, 5:59 pm

On another note: I was at the Castle last night and Bill Goodwin showed me a major misprint problem with Volume 5. One of the pages--78 I believe--was printed twice. One in place and another where page 74 should be.

Ouch.

Dustin

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » November 13th, 2009, 7:53 pm

On a related note, and something that I haven't seen mentioned here yet, Potter & Potter Auctions will be handling the sale of the collections of Bruce Cervon & Dai Vernon on January 30, 2010. You can get the details at Potter & Potter

Frank Yuen

Postby Frank Yuen » November 13th, 2009, 8:01 pm

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » November 13th, 2009, 8:08 pm

Yes.. Thanks Frank... I meant in connection with the Cervon Notebooks. Just thought that it might have popped up here. Sorry to have interrupted the discussion.

Gordolini

Postby Gordolini » November 13th, 2009, 10:11 pm

... Mario's revolutionary card techniques... page VI

El Mystico

Postby El Mystico » November 14th, 2009, 2:54 am

If you go to Bruce's website,
www.brucecervon.com
and click on the picture of the BCCN, it will take you to the page where the links to the Index and the missing page 74 from Vol 5 are.
You can download the page there.

erdnasephile

Postby erdnasephile » November 19th, 2009, 7:52 pm

Dustin, Bill, and El Mystico:

Thanks for the info on the missing page.

I wrote to L & L to suggest that they might consider printing the missing page on matching paper so that we can tip it into Volume 5.

I don't know if they'll be able to do it or not (especially in this economy), but I hope they'll find a way to get it done.

If you own the books and would like to support this idea, you might consider dropping them a line as well. :)

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » January 20th, 2010, 1:42 pm

I just posted a chat with Gabe Fujari who is curating the Vernon/Cervon Auction on January 30th for Potter & Potter Auctions. In addition to discussing some of the items that are in the sale, he also shares some interesting stories about the Jay Marshall auction including the "secret location" in which he found Jay's first edition copy of the Discoverie of Witchcraft.
http://bit.ly/4QmtQa

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » January 20th, 2010, 6:12 pm

Just added a short video catalog preview to the post as well for anyone interested in seeing some of the items in the auction.

http://bit.ly/8gXJ4g

Return to “Buzz”