Banned from Blackpool for my "Safety"

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tim Ellis

Re: Banned from Blackpool for my "Safety"

Postby Tim Ellis » October 18th, 2009, 6:15 pm

Looks like Horatio Caine is even getting in on the act

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » October 19th, 2009, 2:18 am

Seeing that Richard is also not banned ...

I thought I'd contact Derek directly seeing that he stated that people are only banned from Blackpool "for serious reasons such as shoplifting, abusive behaviour/drunkenness, obscenity and fly pitching" He did explictly state that difference of "personal opinion" was not a reason ...

As someone suggested - this whole banning issue could just have been a horrible misunderstanding from the start. I would hope so ... and what an ideal opportunity for Mr Lever to show to the world that the spirit of magic is indeed alive in Blackpool by unbanning those who were mistakenly caught up in this banning saga.

I unfortunately received no response.

So difference of "personal opinion" still remains on the list of prohibited activities unfortunately.

We look forward to your updates, Richard, and even more excitedly await the arrival of David Berglas' new book.

CARL DE ROME

Postby CARL DE ROME » October 19th, 2009, 5:23 am

Its not that I do not agree or comply with Mr Lever at all Quentine.

Its that I do not buckle down and do exactly what Mr Lever says or actually Derek mainly DEMANDS,
This is all that is needed to get banned by Derek,
One of the worst things when Derek does Bann you is he does not even bother most of the time to even let you know why you have been banned, as this clause is part of one of his rules,

And then IF he feels like it, he seems then to always step way over the line by not just banning the one person who he takes offence to, but also banning friends, family members, acquaintances, and staff of the banned person,
In fact any person that knows you personally is also banned from his beloved Magic convention.
Plus also The Manchester Club he and his wife set up and run,

I know this from first hand experience going back now as most people will know for over 14 years.
Its only for just OVER THE LAST YEAR that I have even bothered and aired my personal views on these forums, yes I know it seems longer but its just over a year.

For the other previous 13 YEARS I put up with the constant bannings,
I put up with myself and my wife being evicted from the many events we were personally invited to attend, and WHY ? Simply because he Derek Lever was not the invitee,
Derek Lever always put himself on the highest pedestal,
Even way above the then elected presidents of the Blackpool Magicians Club on every single one of these occasions.

It came to the time of my last Banning that I had just really had enough, not because of being banned, but because Derek had to have a go at my late good friend Cyril Critchlaw, who was one of the nicest and most kindest members ever and also a Hon life Member of the BMC.
For those magicians privileged also to have also known the late Cyril I'm sure that they will testify to this fact themselves,

I would never actually put you down as a Muppet in Dereks pocket Quentin, As what you said about sticking up for me was 100% correct in your post,
All these false accusations would have made Derek Lever smile for once maybe even throw a large street party, and there would have been no reason at all to put things right as you did,
So No if you was a Muppet in Dereks pocket, You would never have pointed out to Mark Lewis how wrong he was about me,
So again MANY THANKS for what you did, it was and still is very much appreciated and I could not thank you enough,
I just hope you now dont get banned from Blackpool for doing this for me.

But to me Derek Lever is still the nastiest little man in Magic, and I should know I have had to put up with so much crap from this raving lunatic for too many years without speaking out.
The other person he plastered a Banned poster up off at the entrance to last years convention
Was Jonathon Royal, who was admitted in the end but only after he threatened to take the security people to court,
If I had known that Derek was to print what he did in the brochure about me, and also to incite me to commit suicide live on the stage last year, I too would also have attended the event,
instead of staying away as I actually did, as I was in Blackpool my home town for the whole week.

Its not only that Derek Lever chooses NEVER to reply to any accusation on these threads, but has anyone noticed, that none of other Members of the Blackpool Magicians Club (thats about 45 members in the club) seem to come onto any of these forums and either stick up for Derek or even to speak out against him, I dont think anyone from the BMC has actually spoken out and made any reply,
Maybe its because they have been TOLD NOT TO.
Or if they do attempt to have there say,
They to will be Banned from Blackpool ? or worse still thrown out from the Blackpool Magicians club

Also as one last Thought,?..
Is it not weird that EX Blackpool President for many times, and previous Blackpool Magic Convention Organiser STEVE EASTHAM together also with Dereks EX Assistant Convention Organiser ALAN MYLECRAINE have all of a sudden uprooted themselves and both left the Blackpool Magicians Club, and resurrected The Fylde Mystics Club,
I dont know why these two people chose to breakaway from the BMC, but it would be nice to know, as Both Steve and Alan have been a part of the BMC for many years,
and If I'm correct Steve Eastman especially has been part of the BMC longer than Lever has,

By the way. Am I the only person that never gets sent the BMC Newsletter, as I have been accepted at long last as a subscriber to there mailing list on there web site now for ages, and never yet, not even once, have I received one single bit of information from them,
I sometimes do wonder why ?

Carl de Rome
never let others dictate to you,

Amazing Stephen

Postby Amazing Stephen » October 19th, 2009, 5:26 pm

Wow. It took me all day to read through these posts, watch the videos, read the press articles and understand all the parties involved. This is just one of the many heated discussions circulating the net including the recent Mark VS. Twins debate and Russ Vs. Shawn. I cannot deny how interesting they are, but one must read through them with an impartial mind and not make rash judgements.

I started a thread on Talk Magic, listing the positive reasons for FISM in Blackpool.
http://www.talkmagic.co.uk/ftopic32517-0-asc-0.php
I was challenged to come here and respond to the posts on this thread. I will not however fuel the argument any further because there are already too many people doing that.

However, the past is the past and I think we have to be the mature ones and just try to work out our differences for the betterment of magic. Just remember that Derek is a human being who is proud of his convention. If you insult him or his work, he is entitled to defend himself, just like every one of you would do. If someone attacked me or my work, I too would defend myself using whatever tools were at my disposal.

It seems like some of the issues are being addressed, as Derek gave an interview and sent a letter to Tony. So he is trying to find common ground with all parties to ease tensions.
Carl & Colin, your situations cannot be simply swept under the rug, I understand that. And to dismiss you would be futile and only lead to further heated discussions for many more years. Let me ask you this: What can Blackpool Magicians Club do to rectify this situation?

Amazing Stephen

Postby Amazing Stephen » October 19th, 2009, 5:45 pm

For the record, here is my list of good reasons for FISM in Blackpool.

1. FISM is in the UK. Derek is showcasing our lovely country and introducing us to people around the world.

2. Derek is running this. Derek is the king of convention organising. His strong team are experts in all their fields. He organisers the biggest convention in the world (Blackpool) and now he is about to take FISM to the next extreme. I believe FISM needs this, since quite frankly it hasn't been that big recently, and magic conventions all over the world have been wilding in attendance, dealers and stars. With Derek behind FISM, he can put the world of magic back in the spotlight and show those other convention organisers how it should be done for the years to come.

3. Blackpool is a tourism city. This means it is filled with cheap bed and breakfast, which are close to the venue. In regards to cost, this is very important because visitors from around the world can actually afford to attend this convention. In the past, hotel fees have been astronomical and combined with other fees, FISM has been too expensive to attend in the past.

4. We speak English! I never went to China since I don't speak the language and didn't want the extra hassle of having to translate everything. Since most of the world and magic community especially speak English, it seems like a sensible choice to have it in an English speaking country.

5. We will have an amazing turn-out. I compare this to the recent IBM, where there was only about 50 dealers. While Blackpool gets about 400. FISM will most likely double that if they can fit them into the room.

6. Attendance figures for Blackpool are in the thousands, but I wouldn't be surprised if this hits the double figures. It has international status and it will encourage more over-sea visitors to come along. This will increase the money dealers make, and the local attractions. It will bring customers to Blackpool.

7. It will increase the popularity of Derek's other conventions, not just Blackpool but the small clubs that he also helps run. Even if its just their auctions, his name will get extra seats at the club meetings as well as giving the magazine editors something to talk about for the next 4 years.

8. The competitions. With Blackpool just before it, we can expect that convention to be the 'heats' for FISM. This means the standard at Blackpool that year will be significantly high, with entertainers from around the world wishing to take part. With the very best moving onto FISM. The overall standard of magic in competitions will be raised a notch. I also hope this means that there are more UK entrants and increases the chances of one of us winning again.

9. Local news and TV courage is almost a given. It was in the local press that Blackpool had actually got FISM, but I'm sure some TV Channel will want the broadcast rights for the convention itself. England is inundated with TV stations. Start a bidding war for this once in a lifetime opportunity to showcase on TV the biggest convention in the world. It means extra money for the convention and an additional performing outlet for the stars.

10. Blackpool may undergo a re-fit for the convention. Yes, it is the same year as the Olympics, so it will probably have an upgrade for that, but with FISM in toe, they may bring all their development schemes forwards to create a better atmosphere for Blackpool itself. This would hopefully mean more street lights and decorations, less boarded up shops and better attractions.

11. Back to the convention itself, Derek has the experience needed to make this a success. How many other organisers have the skills, contacts or experience to match him? I can't name any. He will bring in the best lecturers in the world, and probably get them cheaper than anyone else as well due to his ability to role them out on a UK lecture circuit and perform at Blackpool as well. It basically means he can book a lecturer for multiple shows, which means there overall fee will come down. This means he can book more stars and everything gets bigger, better and cheaper!

12. We now have a world championship for children's entertainers. This is outstanding news! I know some magicians (usually the amateurs) see children's entertainers as weak artist. But any true professional magician will tell you that kids magic is extremely difficult and requires a whole different range of skills. There definitely deserves to be a competition for those artiste, and how dare anyone say that kids entertainers don't deserve to be represented at a convention. They are the lifeblood of all magic, and without them, none of you would be magician today.
Derek has done the right thing in making this category, and officially he did seek the permission from the FISM representative before initiating it.
I would be proud to be apart of the competition if given the chance and I am glad it is here.

13. On the idea of introducing new events - this is fantastic! Whats wrong with adding new competitions, events and shows to make a convention bigger and better than ever before. Its adding new stuff that keeps the punters coming back year after year. I would like to see more new events at FISM and other conventions.

14. The fact that it coincides with the Olympics (which we also have) means tourism will be up, and that visitors who may not normally have come to FISM, will come to the Olympics and attend FISM at the same time. It means the turnout for the convention with overseas visitors will be at an all-time high.

15. Another reason will be the increase of popularity for Blackpool Magicians club (with TV exposure), and the Magic Circle. The MC is a well established famous UK club and having FISM in the UK will help it get a lot of added press coverage and no-doubt the president will be wanted for tons of interviews. It will make the MC more prominent again, and make awareness for the club known around the world.

16. And finally, with more magic in the press, on the TV and live shows up North, the local magicians, children's entertainers and artists will get a lot more work. For most clients, its about knowing what to do for an event. Hiring a magician isn't always on the to-do list until its to late and they forgot about the entertainment. It means with more magicians in the news, the clients out-there will know that they need a magicians for their event.
With more magicians on TV, it makes us popular again and so they will be wanting to hire us for their child's birthday rather than go to the Bowling alley or something. It makes us more of a thrill because they can relate to us as a celebrity coming to a party. The exposure of the magic arts will mean an increase in work for all magicians around the country.

17. Full English Breakfast! Where else in the world can you wake up to a full plate of Egg and Bacon with all the fixings!

18: The Rushkin. Anyone who knows Blackpool, knows that the Rushkin is the place to go at night. Its where you get to mingle with the stars and share ideas that expand everyone's repertoire. No other convention has the Rushkin, or even a comparable alternative (that I am aware off).

19: Local attractions. If you get sick of magic, you can always walk down to the beach, visit the tower or the wax museum. There are plenty of tourist attractions in Blackpool that can get you away from the magic for a few hours or days. This is a welcome advantage because too much 24/7 magic can feel like an overload and having something different to do can re-charge your batteries.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » October 19th, 2009, 6:03 pm

Stephen, I think you over-reached a bit with reason #17
"Full English Breakfast! Where else in the world can you wake up to a full plate of Egg and Bacon with all the fixings!"

The answer is almost every coffee shop and hotel in the United States.

CARL DE ROME

Postby CARL DE ROME » October 19th, 2009, 6:04 pm

There is now a new Video, its short so we have named it Video 2.5
The links below are for all three of them, so you can save them
And watch them mor easy.

Video 1 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DKEU8ZOH ... r_embedded

Video 2 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGM1iQQW ... onse_watch

Video 2.5 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc0nZ5vJBII

PS.....again I am not the person behind these, but WOW are they great, and bloody funny as hell.

also re posting the link to this as well,
as this is the video that started the ball rolling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsFAOEGm ... re=related

Carl de Rome

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 19th, 2009, 7:15 pm

I'm very tired of this thread. Unless someone has something interesting to post, I suggest we leave it.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brendan

Postby Brendan » October 19th, 2009, 9:52 pm

Ohhhh, but this has been entertaining me for weeks, I'm really going to miss it.

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » October 19th, 2009, 11:03 pm

As this thread has encompassed many feuds - go here http://www.australianinstituteofmagic.org/ and you can vote on our poll as to What is Magic's hottest rivalry.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » October 19th, 2009, 11:49 pm

I have been banned from attending magic conventions at Kutcher's.

CARL DE ROME

Postby CARL DE ROME » October 20th, 2009, 7:10 am

Come off it Richard, you cant really be serious about closing this thread down,
Can you?
Because you're getting bored with it,???
Think about the rest of us,
That are not bored at all with this excellent thread on geniis forum,

Things get posted on the Genii forum,
where in the UK on some of the forums they would get locked, blocked and taken down instantly

The popularity of BANNED FROM BLACKPOOL speaks for its self
Some of the closest rivals to this on BUZZ are

Magic Con 2010 with 27 replies and 1608 Views
Bruce Cervan with 32 replies and 1329 views

But Craig Mitchells BANNED FROM BLACKPOOL Thread
Up to now has had a MASSIVE 450 Replies already
and a WHOPPING 26.476 VIEWS
And it is the only thread now into its sixth page

Surely this is the Most popular thread on the whole of the Genii Forum
At this present time.
Unthinkable to even consider closing it down.
Especially with so many Magicians and Entertainers WORLDWIDE following what's happening here.

Carl de Rome

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » October 20th, 2009, 9:02 am

Carl,

FYI - the most popular thread on the Genii Forum, hands down, is the Erdnase thread with 116 pages, 1150 posts, and 268,478 views.

John Bowden
Location: Main Street, Urlingford, Co. Kilkenny, Ireland, E41 Y9K2.

Postby John Bowden » October 20th, 2009, 10:06 am

Hi Richard,

It is your forum and your decisions about keeping this thread alive or locking it must hold final.

However it is interesting to note that one of those who is insisting on you keeping it open and alive and basically telling you what to do has as a footnote to all his posts...................." never let others dictate to you"

As with his posts, his footnote, is also an enigma.

Cheers from the Emerald Isle,
John Bowden

Paulie

Postby Paulie » October 20th, 2009, 12:13 pm

Re; footnote; Let's not read too much in to that, he probably just encountered some difficult prose at Secretarial school, I guess some people just give up too easily.

Q. Kumber
Favorite Magician: Tom Whitestone

Postby Q. Kumber » October 20th, 2009, 3:59 pm

Has this thread accomplished its original objective? Namely is Craig Mitchell barred from attending FISM in 2012?

No he isn't, nor is anyone else.

Amazing Stephen

Postby Amazing Stephen » October 20th, 2009, 4:06 pm

I would prefer that we didn't keep nagging on the same old points like a bunch of old housewives. I've tried to move the rivalry to an end by asking what the Blackpool Magicians club can do to end the rivalry. Instead you post links to more insulting videos that are now growing tiresome, and abusiveness. You are no-longer attacking just one individual, you have named several people in those clips and it seems that you are simply attacking everyone now for the fun of it.
If all you are doing is attacking people to get some excitement in your life, then please do it elsewhere.

I would most definitely like to know how we can make things right with anybody that feels abused in some way. What will it take to end these hostilities, and yes, get the videos and insulting websites taken down by the owners themselves.

We are all magicians, trying to help other magicians and enjoy our hobby. How can we get back to those core values that our art treasures so much?

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » October 20th, 2009, 4:09 pm

Hi Stephen

Your intentions are indeed noble.

I have emailed Mr Lever on multiple occasions & have yet to receive a reply to any of my messages.

Communication is a vital first step ...

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » October 20th, 2009, 5:00 pm

Quentin Reynolds wrote:Has this thread accomplished its original objective? Namely is Craig Mitchell barred from attending FISM in 2012?

No he isn't, nor is anyone else.

Quentin, Craig was banned from Blackpool 2010... and still is.

John Bowden

Postby John Bowden » October 20th, 2009, 5:05 pm

To Quentin,

You asked "is Craig Mitchell barred from attending FISM 2012 in Blackpool?" and the answer to that is no. However he is banned from attending other Blackpool Conventions for his own safety or such is my understanding from posts here on this forum..

Safety here might mean safety from doing himself or of doing his reputation immeasurable harm.
How? ...................you might inquire.

Let us assume he was allowed to attend and he did show up, what would everyone think except that Craig Mitchell is a hypocrite for attending a convention he derides with every opportunity on any forum that allows him access, in a place he detests and run by Derek Lever who he despises.

It would be remiss of Derek Lever and The Blackpool Magicians Club to allow him to do such harm to himself.

To Stephen,

You are totally correct in asking for the removal of insulting and damaging material from the internet by those who put it in place. No form of communication should take place until such time as these obstacles are removed.

To Craig Mitchell

You have acknowledged that Stephens intentions are noble so would you not consider following his advice with regards to the removal of the websites you have access to and to which you have posted links to in your posts?

You mention that you have emailed Derek Lever on multiple occasions and have yet to receive a reply. He is not in any way obliged to reply to you or anyone else either privately or on this forum or indeed by any other method.

To quote your last line

Communication is a vital first step......

No Craig it isnt the vital first step, that first step is and has always been Consent to Communicate.

How you or any of the others here, who have problems with Derek Lever or any other members of the Blackpool Magicians Club, go about establishing good will remains a matter, you may need to consider. I'm sure with honest effort on your part goodwill can be established and consent to communication can be a final step.

Cheers from the Emerald Isle,
John Bowden

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » October 20th, 2009, 6:43 pm

Tim Ellis wrote:Quentin, Craig was banned from Blackpool 2010... and still is.

Yes, that's my understanding too - along with Carl de Rome, and I don't see how any amount of discussion here will change that.

However no one is barred from FISM 2012, which was the main point that needed clarifying.

Amazing Stephen

Postby Amazing Stephen » October 20th, 2009, 6:53 pm

Thank-you John. Your support is appreciated.

And thank-you Craig for your response as well. It goes a long way to showing that at least you are open to fixing all this and that you have tried in the past to contact Derek.
I do however have to agree with John on the fact that while the websites and videos are active, it is not in Dereks best interest to be in touch with you or anyone. They are visible attacks against him to a level that is beyond reason. He should not have any contact with you or anybody else due to the cruelty that has been displayed at him. What if those videos were about you, would you be open to speaking with the bully who perhaps made them? I think not. I would imagine that only after those videos and websites are removed would he think about entertaining your e-mails, and not before.

That is why I asked how 'Blackpool Magician's Club' could help the situation, and not Derek directly. I know that a resolution between you / Carl and Derek is highly unlikely with all the bad blood and so I won't even entertain the idea as it would be fruitless. But the videos and websites aren't attacking just him, they are attacking an entire club, the FISM council and several outstanding members of the magic fraternity. A lot of people put a lot of time and effort into making Blackpool successful and whoever made the videos is insulting all of them, not just Derek.

Even so, any personal attack should not be applauded and I admit I'm shocked that it has been allowed to go on for so long on this site. Not just by you, but by others as well. I understand your grief, for I too have had my share of disputes. But I have never made them personal or public like this has become.

Anyway. I have to be careful that we don't go around in circles on this debate. I am not an active member of the Blackpool Club, I am simply hoping that we can get a potential solution on the table and then let the deciding parties decide what to do with it. I know they read this thread. We as fellow magicians at least need to help integrate that first step into healing since this fight has been going on for numerous years and it is only escalating with no sign of stopping. Even if this thread was deleted, there are a dozen others on other forums to go, and more videos probably in the making. We need to fix the problem at the heart and not add more to it.

I personally don't know what can be done at this point, I just hope that you, Carl, and whoever made the sites and videos will be the bigger man and take them down before the consequences escalate to a level this is hurtful for so many people. I understand your anger, I really do. But don't let your anger at one man turn you into something worst than what you perceive him to be.

Whoever made them, I am asking - please take them down so that we can take the first step into fixing this situation.

Amazing Stephen

Postby Amazing Stephen » October 20th, 2009, 7:00 pm

P.S: The Full English Breakfast is a very different dish over here in the UK. I went to America and its a very different meal over there, with crispy bacon and different fixings.

Reason 20 for Good reasons for FISM in Blackpool - Unobstructed views of the stage.
I have read some bad reviews of the China theatre, where seats were behind pillars. I know this is a common problem in some theatres, even in London. However non of the Blackpool theatres have any obstructions. You get a perfect view, for all 4000 people in attendance.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » October 20th, 2009, 7:26 pm

Amazing Stephen wrote: You get a perfect view, for all 4000 people in attendance.

Actually it's a tad less than 3,000. You'll often find people looking for gala show seats once it's sold out.

http://www.blackpoolevents.co.uk/Shows/ ... rstars.htm

Tim Ellis

Postby Tim Ellis » October 20th, 2009, 9:29 pm

I don't remember any seats behind pillars at FISM in China.
Where are you getting your information Stephen? Please make sure you check your information before posting.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 21st, 2009, 4:15 am

Amazing Stephen wrote:T
I do however have to agree with John on the fact that while the websites and videos are active, it is not in Dereks best interest to be in touch with you or anyone. They are visible attacks against him to a level that is beyond reason.

I tell you what, if anyone put up a picture of me in front of 3k people and urged everyone to kill me, I would think a humourous video mocking Lever would be the absolute MINIMUM I would do to teach him a lesson.

Unless that never happened too?

Also, what do you think about Lever attacking arguably Britain's most well known magician by calling him a c-list celeb and saying "he is not invited to FISM".

This whole thing isn't as one sided as you appear to be painting it, is it?

Although I am glad Lever has finally sent some 'friends' here to attempt to patch up this PR disaster. Shame it took so long. Someone needed to do something. On the UK boards, obv Lever just got the threads like this deleted or pulled or banned Carl etc. No such powers here. Fortunately.

I think trying to persuade the international audience to come to Blackpoo in January, and then again 5 months later and pay 10 times the price is going to be VERY hard to achieve.

John Bowden

Postby John Bowden » October 21st, 2009, 6:50 am

Ah! Mr Goat,

Your first mistake was when you wrote

"I tell you what, if anyone put up a picture of me in front of 3k people and urged everyone to kill me, I would think a humourous video mocking Lever would be the absolute MINIMUM I would do to teach him a lesson."

There was never a picture of anyone put up where anyone was encouraged to kill................a picture was taken by the MC from a person's own website, yes it was from his own website, and he was encouraged to "Do it" as in the Nike advert.

By the way Mr Goat was this after Derek Lever had been portrayed as Hitler on posters??
Just curious as to the time-line here..................maybe it doesnt matter. It is just a minor fact which you have ignored.

Next mistake
Also, what do you think about Lever attacking arguably Britain's most well known magician by calling him a c-list celeb and saying "he is not invited to FISM".

Was this after his outburst against Blackpool and Derek Lever being awarded FISM or before?

Again the time-line here is just an incidental fact that you have ignored

How could anyone who says what they like against Blackpool and Derek Lever then expect that they should be made welcome by those same people?

Personally I hold Paul Daniels in the highest regard and have the utmost respect for him and would have considered him as a possible ambassador for FISM but he seems to have ruled himself out of that portfolio.

On to your next misadventure (being kind here)

Although I am glad Lever has finally sent some 'friends' here to attempt to patch up this PR disaster.
Having been to Blackpool every year for the last twenty odd years I have got to know Derek Lever. He has always been courteous, kind and helpful to me and we have never had any problems.
He doesnt send me a Christmas card.
However if I thought he was wrong I would post to that effect. Id also establish the facts surrounding the problem before I would post.
Derek Lever doesnt need to send in friends to patch up this PR disaster...................................about 3500 will do it for him next February.
Im sure when we get to know each other better we too can be friends and I look forward to a chin wag at conventions.

Now on to your final error
I think trying to persuade the international audience to come to Blackpool in January, and then again 5 months later and pay 10 times the price is going to be VERY hard to achieve.

With regards to getting magicians to come to Blackpool in Feb 2012 and again in Feb2013 with a FISM in between is just a matter of opinion as to the feasibility of such a venture. Personally I dont foresee a problem arising.
However to say that it will be ten times the price is way off the mark. It will be 450 as opposed to the 100 it costs for the Feb Convention. Just a mathematical error. Google do a very good calculator and again I advise that you use Google more effectively

These are just minors fact that you overlooked

So you have consistently overlooked facts and then you expect us to take you seriously.

Now, Mr Goat please, in the future aim to get the facts correct before posting and maybe then you could establish some credibility.

Cheers from the Emerald Isle
John Bowden................... that my real name.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » October 21st, 2009, 8:55 am

Tim Ellis wrote:I don't remember any seats behind pillars at FISM in China.
Where are you getting your information Stephen? Please make sure you check your information before posting.

The reports I read were of early registrants being seated on the flat and having obstructed views of the stage, not by pillars but by heads. Tim, I'm quite sure you knew what he meant.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 21st, 2009, 10:47 am

John Bowden wrote:Ah! Mr Goat, Your first mistake was when you wrote

"I tell you what, if anyone put up a picture of me in front of 3k people and urged everyone to kill me, I would think a humourous video mocking Lever would be the absolute MINIMUM I would do to teach him a lesson."

There was never a picture of anyone put up where anyone was encouraged to kill................a picture was taken by the MC from a person's own website, yes it was from his own website, and he was encouraged to "Do it" as in the Nike advert.

So, Lever took a picture from someone's website without their permission, (stealing), and projected it in front of 3,000 people where he then encouraged them to "Just do it". The picture was of a performer putting a gun to his own head.

And you think that is OK?

Interesting morals you have, Sir.

John Bowden wrote:By the way Mr Goat was this after Derek Lever had been portrayed as Hitler on posters??
Just curious as to the time-line here..................maybe it doesnt matter. It is just a minor fact which you have ignored.

Doesn't matter at all.

Simple question Bowden: Do you think it is A Good Idea to tell a room full of people to kill someone?

John Bowden wrote:Next mistake

I can't see I've made one mistake yet, but whatever.

John Bowden wrote:Also, what do you think about Lever attacking arguably Britain's most well known magician by calling him a c-list celeb and saying "he is not invited to FISM".

Was this after his outburst against Blackpool and Derek Lever being awarded FISM or before?

What does it matter?

I asked you what you thought about Lever attacking the most well known and liked magician in the country and telling him he wasn't welcome at FISM.

So, what do you think about it?

John Bowden wrote:Again the time-line here is just an incidental fact that you have ignored

Or it is irrelevant?

Or are you saying that because Daniels said Blackpool was not suitable for a world-class event such as FISM, then Lever can act like an unprofessional, spoilt little boy?

John Bowden wrote:How could anyone who says what they like against Blackpool and Derek Lever then expect that they should be made welcome by those same people?

No one suggested they should. I asked what you thought about his embarrassing outburst.

John Bowden wrote:Personally I hold Paul Daniels in the highest regard and have the utmost respect for him and would have considered him as a possible ambassador for FISM but he seems to have ruled himself out of that portfolio.

Well rather than pose for a picture like this

It might have been a better move for Lever to contact Daniels and invite him up. Show him why he is wrong about Blackpool being "tasteless, tacky, bawdy and scruffy". (Personally, I think that is impossible, but you know, he could at least TRY).

Don't you think that makes Lever look slightly unhinged?

John Bowden wrote:On to your next misadventure (being kind here)

Don't be kind on my behalf. You say what you mean, Sir. But, a difference of opinion isn't a misadventure. Bless.

John Bowden wrote:Although I am glad Lever has finally sent some 'friends' here to attempt to patch up this PR disaster.

Derek Lever doesnt need to send in friends to patch up this PR disaster...................................about 3500 will do it for him next February.

I beg to differ. Already, thousands of international magicians come to Lever's shindig in January. Now he is going to have to persuade them to do that, AND then return a few months later to see the same people do the same acts and the same dealers sell the same stuff. But, at FISM it will cost them 5 times what January did.

He has done well at shutting down any negative forum posts in the UK, but this board is probably the most respected by international magicians. The very people he needs to persuade to fly to the UK twice in 6 months.

I reckon he's got his work cut out.

John Bowden wrote:Now on to your final error

An difference of opinion isn't an error, darling.

John Bowden wrote:I think trying to persuade the international audience to come to Blackpool in January, and then again 5 months later and pay 10 times the price is going to be VERY hard to achieve.

With regards to getting magicians to come to Blackpool in Feb 2012 and again in Feb2013 with a FISM in between is just a matter of opinion as to the feasibility of such a venture. Personally I dont foresee a problem arising.

Brillant. I do. That's that then.

John Bowden wrote:So you have consistently overlooked facts and then you expect us to take you seriously.

I expect no such thing. Take me as you wish.

However, I have not over looked facts, Sir. I have just looked at events differently.

You think it's OK to steal a picture from someone's site with them holding a gun to their head and urging them to kill themselves, or incite people to kill them.

You think it's professional and decent to insult Britian's most loved and famous magician.

That's fine.

I will defend TO THE DEATH your right to believe that is acceptable behaviour from a chairman of an international magic event.

I don't.

I admire your honesty, but don't confuse errors with differences of opinion, makes any point you attempt to make lack seriousness. But then again, so does thinking it's acceptable to do what Lever has done.

Q. Kumber

Postby Q. Kumber » October 21st, 2009, 11:35 am

"So, Lever took a picture from someone's website without their permission, (stealing), and projected it in front of 3,000 people where he then encouraged them to "Just do it". The picture was of a performer putting a gun to his own head."

That was done by Tony Stevens the MC. Derek Lever knew nothing about it. That I have confirmed.

"He has done well at shutting down any negative forum posts in the UK,"

That is pure speculation and to claim it as fact could well be libellous.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 21st, 2009, 12:27 pm

I don't understand some forms of popular entertainment.
What is a Christmas Pantomime? or a Punch and Judy show?

Reading this thread feels like watching one of the latter.

Is this where Richard comes in like the crocodile?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

John Bowden

Postby John Bowden » October 21st, 2009, 12:50 pm

Mr Goat,

Where there was a difference of opinion between us I clearly outlined and where you ignored the true facts I also outlined and differentiated.

You continue to ignore true facts using innuendo and hearsay as reliable evidence.

What has Derek Lever or Blackpool Magic Club ever done, to you personally, that hurt you so badly?

Why are you still hurting?
Can you be helped?
Is it just anger, jealousy or what?

Once we know your agenda it may be possible to suggest some form of aid.

My agenda is purely altruistic in wishing to see you as happy as can be.

I have tried not to use words that you might have difficulty in understanding and I have kept away from figures as I realise that is a no go area for your limited cerebral resources.

Cheers from the Emerald Isle...........................and wishing you inner peace (poor sad boy)
John Bowden .......... that is my real name.

John Bowden

Postby John Bowden » October 21st, 2009, 12:58 pm

Hi Jonathan,

Gosh!!!! I hope Mr. Crocodile doesnt show up just yet as I know Mr Punch has a few more babies to throw down the stairs......................oh yes! ...............he has.

Cheers from the Emerald Isle
John Bowden.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 21st, 2009, 1:24 pm

John Bowden wrote:My agenda is purely altruistic in wishing to see you as happy as can be.

You truly are a beautiful human being. I can forgive you patronising me now.

Let's hug it out.

You are one special human being.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » October 21st, 2009, 2:32 pm

Quentin Reynolds wrote:A while back I bought a bunch of books at an auction. One of them was The Mark Lewis Svengali Routine and in it were the two paragraphs above. He is referring to Hubert Lambert.

The technique used to attack Hubert Lambert is that of the sneer create a caricature unrelated to reality, and then mockingly destroy it. It is a medley of truth, half-truths and lies.

So Mark Lewisshort discourse on Hubert Lambert is made up of truths, half-truths and lies, for the sole purpose of character assassination.

FYI, Mr Lewis has asked me to post the following:

"perhaps you could do me a favour and tell troublemaker Quentin Reynolds that my reference to the Amazing Lambert in my svengali deck book had nothing to do with Hubert Lambert at all. Lambert is a very common name in Ireland and Quentin knows that full well.

Quentin is making Hubert look bad because of his false statements not me."

Barefoot Boy
Favorite Magician: Kreskin

Postby Barefoot Boy » October 21st, 2009, 2:45 pm

I have just got off the phone with Mark and can confirm the information above. The Lambert in his book is NOT the Hubery Lambert in question.
Outward sunshine; Inward joy,
Blessings on thee, Barefoot Boy.
www.mindreader.ca

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » October 21st, 2009, 3:55 pm

For the love of God isn't it time to lock this thread. I called for a locking of this thread way back on page 1 I think. I dont see any new information coming forward and until that happens is there really any point in continuing this seeing as all everyone seems to be doing is going round in circles and off in tangents.

Brendan
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » October 21st, 2009, 3:59 pm

It's interesting to see everyone go kind of nuts once in a while, don't you think?

For every person who thinks the thread should be locked, there are an equal amount (or more, according to the number of views) who are reading it with great interest.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » October 21st, 2009, 4:07 pm

I read it with great interest too. I don't even want to imagine how much time I have spent here viewing this thread. Having said that if it continues to go off on tangents like it tends to do is there really much point?
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

AJRichards

Postby AJRichards » October 21st, 2009, 4:34 pm

I think we all need some comic relief. My latest discovery = for your viewing pleasure /// EPISODE 3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TaLrAYvwXfs

enjoy

Return to “Buzz”