David Regal, Nate Kranzo, Aaron Fisher and Steve Dobson come to Portland, Sept 25 - 27

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dan McLean

David Regal, Nate Kranzo, Aaron Fisher and Steve Dobson come to Portland, Sept 25 - 27

Postby Dan McLean » July 28th, 2009, 9:02 pm

That's right, David Regal, Nate Kranzo, Aaron Fisher and Steve Dobson will ALL be appearing at the very first "Portland Magic Jam", in Portland, Oregon, this coming Sept 25, 26, and 27.

There will be lectures. There will be shows. There will be a panel discussion with these 4 heavyweights on stage together. There will be dealers. There will be organized and unorganized jam sessions. And for those who like to session through the night, there will be a 24-hour session room, and a 24-hour restaurant complete with waitresses who will love to see your version of Ambitious Card.

The cost is $85 for the entire 3 days - which is a steal. Payments can be made on the Jam website at www.portlandmagicjam.com.

The venue is a hotel with easy freeway access, an airport shuttle, and every amenity so people flying in dont have to rent a car. Room rates are down to $35 apiece based on double-occupancy in 2 queen beds. (They have 3 activity rooms for the event.)

The organizers are Greg Moreland and Dan Waterman. For inquiries, find email and phone numbers on the website. Remember that unless you hear it from Dan or Greg, it could be a lie.

Greg also wanted everyone to know that the specific times on the schedule on the website are pretty much final, but that things could still get jostled around a bit for Greg's and Dan's own amusement.

Jeff Evans

Re: David Regal, Nate Kranzo, Aaron Fisher and Steve Dobson come to Portland, Sept 25 - 27

Postby Jeff Evans » August 1st, 2009, 12:41 am

I would LOVE to be at this... but will be having a great time at PCAM! David Regal is one of my favorites - I use his "Sudden Deck" in nearly every show and his "Approaching Magic" is phenomenal. Steve Dobson has fooled me more times than I can count.

This weekend could easily be twice the price, so I hope this gets a lot of support so Greg and Dan can make this more than a one-time deal.

George Olson

Re: David Regal, Nate Kranzo, Aaron Fisher and Steve Dobson come to Portland, Sept 25 - 27

Postby George Olson » August 22nd, 2009, 3:00 pm

The beauty of a get-together like this is its intimacy. The venue is excellant and the talent is unbelievable. Most of the guys I know are attending just to have the chance to session, observe, learn, share, and be entertained. I know Greg is working his heart out to make this one of the best "Jams" you'll ever attend.

If you live with-in a 1000 miles hop on over! You won't reget it. So many times I've gone to things like this and they overwhelm you with too many shows and stuff. Here, in 2 and a half days you will be well grounded in good amgic and great times.

GO

Dan McLean

Postby Dan McLean » August 24th, 2009, 8:53 pm

Here's an update fresh off Greg Moreland's command center.

David Regal will be doing 4 events! His current lecture, his Approaching Magic workshop, he'll be in the marquee close up show (doing 4 shows so everybody can see him genuinely close up), and he'll also be part of our panel discussion. Nate Kranzo is also doing 4 events! Aaron Fisher 3 events! And Steve Dobson 3 events! (Also note that these are the kind of guys who're very accessible personalities!)

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » August 24th, 2009, 11:44 pm

Hell, it would be worth the drive just to see Dobson's sponge ball routine. I've know the guy for over 20 years, and I had never seen it until he did a lecture for the Everett magic club a couple of years ago.

It is, hands down, the best sponge ball routine ever. Practical, astounding to laymen (and a fair number of magicians), and artistically satisfying.

His card work is pretty good too.

George Olson

Postby George Olson » August 26th, 2009, 3:46 pm

Here's a reminder I just got:

The contest will offer at least $300 in no-strings-attached magic certificates, plus other items donated by the lecturers! Prizes for 1st and 2nd place. Contest is 2-6 minute stand-up parlour magic, where the magic can be seen by the audience without doing it flat on a table. Email us to sign up: PortlandMagicJam@yahoo.com .

GO

Greg Moreland

Postby Greg Moreland » September 5th, 2009, 4:30 pm

Some additions:
We've added a communal dealer's table, where anybody can sell or swap magic they own.

On both Saturday and Sunday we'll have a series of "Jam" tables where 4 different hosts will lead workshops of their own choosing.

The $85 advance price is an absolute steal! I can't recall a magic event like this in Portland in my lifetime, at any price!
The price will go up $10 starting Sept 7. $50 prices for under 17, parents, and spouses. Email us for special rates for groups and families. Also find single-day prices on our website: www.PortlandMagicJam.com

Read more about the events, the headliners, the schedule, and the venue on our website: www.PortlandMagicJam.com

Greg Moreland
Event co-producer

Greg Moreland

Postby Greg Moreland » September 24th, 2009, 2:07 pm

We just topped the 100 mark in pre-registrations! It's gonna be a great event!

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » September 24th, 2009, 3:05 pm

Damn, why are you guys having this at the wrong end of the country?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Greg Moreland

Postby Greg Moreland » October 5th, 2009, 1:18 am

The 2009 Portland Magic Jam is in the books, and it was an unqualified success by all accounts! We had over 120 people in attendance, and the feedback has been stellar. Thanks to everyone who came and made this such a great weekend!

David Regal was the undisputed star of the event - what a pro!

See a video montage of the event here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OjO9G31xKk

Winner of the stand-up contest was Rick Anderson of Tacoma. ($200 first prize.)

Send an email to receive announcements for next year's event.
portlandmagicjam@yahoo.com. (We're gonna try very hard to have it at the same venue!)

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » October 5th, 2009, 2:27 pm

Kudos to Rick on the win, and to the producers. Great to hear that there'll be another!

Greg Moreland

Postby Greg Moreland » October 6th, 2009, 1:18 am

A nice video montage of the Magic Jam that Carey Heim put together...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OjO9G31xKk

Return to “Buzz”