Magic books on Kindle?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tabman

Magic books on Kindle?

Postby Tabman » July 16th, 2009, 12:52 pm

After getting two requests for a Kindle version of Tabman MAGIC I learned how to go the conversion and set up on Amazon's Kindle Books section last night and this morning. I plan to do a search and see what else Magic wise is available to Kindle users. I helped publish a fiction book (Legal Vengeance) by an atty friend and he and all his bunch all carry Kindles. Is Kindle the wave of the future?? Personally I still like books but don't want to miss an opportunity.

Tabman MAGIC on Kindle is at:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002HRE5VE

-=tab

Sebastien L.

Re: Magic books on Kindle?

Postby Sebastien L. » July 16th, 2009, 1:00 pm

Kindle certainly will be gaining a lot of ground in the coming years, I feel. I certainly have had my share of issues trying to carry around large tomes during trips, vacations, etc. to make me really wish all I had would be available on the Kindle.

I mean, I'm not holding my breath for the Cervon Notebooks to make their way there, but I certainly have given thought to building a book scanning machine for such an eventuality. To have my entire library at my fingertips, anytime I want? That would be dreamy. Of course I still want my actual library too...

Tabman

Postby Tabman » July 16th, 2009, 1:04 pm

You could scan your books and convert them to Kindle format and load them into your Kindle I'm pretty sure. I'm a neophyte but I read a ton of material on it b4 diving in to the conversion process.

I did a Kindle search on "magic" and am browsing through them now. So far its witchcraft stuff, earth magic and kids books but Ive only just started looking.

-=tabman

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » July 16th, 2009, 2:22 pm

I have a Kindle DX which supports Kindle books and PDF books.

I have over 400 books with me including a large engineering library, magic books and fiction books.

A wide assortment of PDF magic books are available at www.lybrary.com

Tabman

Postby Tabman » July 16th, 2009, 2:32 pm

Bob Cunningham wrote:A wide assortment of PDF magic books are available at www.lybrary.com

Wow, thanks. That's fantastic!!

-=tc

Dylan Gelinas

Postby Dylan Gelinas » July 17th, 2009, 2:36 am

The real future of the Kindle is colleges. I am enrolled now and books are a pain to carry but if Kindles became standard at schools and textbooks available online I see a huge market.

As always,
Dylan

Chris Deleo

Postby Chris Deleo » July 17th, 2009, 8:59 am

library.com has come a long way since the last time a visited. makes me wanna buy one of these Kindle gadgets

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » July 17th, 2009, 1:59 pm

If you buy a Kindle, make sure that it is the DX.

The Kindle 2 does not support PDF's - which is the format used by lybrary.com.

Joe Pecore
Favorite Magician: Paul Harris

Postby Joe Pecore » July 17th, 2009, 2:04 pm

I believe lybrary.com looking into offering many of the magic ebooks in the .MOBI and .LTR formats which are the native formats for Kindle and SonyReader.
Share your knowledge on the MagicPedia wiki.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » July 17th, 2009, 3:10 pm

It is kind of breath taking seeing all the titles available to download. It's an amazing world we live in.

-=tc

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 17th, 2009, 3:53 pm

Keep in mind that the Kindle is a great PDF reader as well.. .If you have one of the many books available in that format, you're all set.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » July 18th, 2009, 12:33 am

when did Chris switch Lybrary.com's default format from HTML to .PDF?

Chris?

Jeffrey Korst

Postby Jeffrey Korst » July 18th, 2009, 1:51 am

I'm not getting it. How is lybrary.com not infringing on the copyrights?

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 18th, 2009, 7:43 am

Jeffrey Korst wrote:I'm not getting it. How is lybrary.com not infringing on the copyrights?

He pays the people that own the copyright at a guess...

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » July 18th, 2009, 8:00 am

Jeffrey Korst wrote:I'm not getting it. How is lybrary.com not infringing on the copyrights?

A good portion of what he has available is public domain material. For the rest of it, he works out deals with the copyright holders. In fact, I seem to recall Chris mentioning at one point that he has even given payment to estate holders even if the copyright has expired.

Don't worry -- his business is 100% legitimate.

-Jim

Chris Deleo

Postby Chris Deleo » July 18th, 2009, 9:28 am

is "The Art of Magic", public domain? and does this mean one can use this book as a prop in say, a film?

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » July 18th, 2009, 9:44 am

Chris Deleo wrote:is "The Art of Magic", public domain? and does this mean one can use this book as a prop in say, a film?

I believe anything published before 1923 is in the public domain.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » July 18th, 2009, 11:16 am

Chris Deleo wrote:is "The Art of Magic", public domain? and does this mean one can use this book as a prop in say, a film?

The Art of Magic was published in 1909 -- it has been public domain for a long time. That's also why you see Dover reprinting it.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 18th, 2009, 11:17 am

Yes, Downs' Art of Magic is public domain.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Tabman

Postby Tabman » July 19th, 2009, 3:20 pm

Three books sold on Amazon Kindle already. That's one a day so far. I know that won't hold but it validates the effort.

-=tabman

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 19th, 2009, 4:11 pm

Tabby, do you make more when you sell a hard copy of the book? You might have just cost yourself three sales on which you would have made more money.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » July 19th, 2009, 7:52 pm

I am interested in that also. I love the Kindle, but for e-books to flourish two problems have to be solved for the authors.

1) there must be DRM that provides at least as much protection as paper (I think this has been accomplished).

2) authors have to make as much on the digital version of their work as they do on the paper version.

Tabman

Postby Tabman » July 19th, 2009, 8:50 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Tabby, do you make more when you sell a hard copy of the book? You might have just cost yourself three sales on which you would have made more money.

Richard, I know it and Im not really smart enough to figger it all out. I also wonder about passing pdfs around which I would not like. I dont make as much, no, I dont but the folks who bought them had asked me to make them available on Kindle with one additional sale that emailed me today telling me how much he loved his Kindle and was waiting for me to put it on Kindle so I might have gotten three sales that I wouldnt have gotten otherwise. I just dont know the answer. Ive only written two books and started on a third with limited experience as a book publisher so I expect to make a lot of mistakes.

-=tabman

Tabman

Postby Tabman » July 20th, 2009, 12:55 pm

Dang!! I thought about this half the night after Richard's question. I guess my answer would really be, $$$ have never been my primary motivation for anything. I'm really more interested in getting readers and telling my side of the story. The $$ do come in handy and I appreciate every hard earned one that buyers of the book send me. Thank you for that and to Richard and Genii for the forum.

-=tabman

the Larry

Postby the Larry » July 20th, 2009, 1:38 pm

Bob Cunningham wrote:1) there must be DRM that provides at least as much protection as paper (I think this has been accomplished).

If E-books go the same path as download music we might soon see no DRM at all. Many download MP3 songs are available without any DRM and I think it is a blessing for the customer. I think the little protection DRM offers is highly overrated when compared to the troubles it causes for legitimate and honest customers.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » July 20th, 2009, 2:31 pm

In fact, the chief spokesperson for the RIAA was recently quoted as saying, "DRM is dead, isn't it?"

Reference here

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 20th, 2009, 3:16 pm

Im surprised no one has mention the incredibly ironic Orwellian event that took place recently with Amazon and their recall of two books (going into their customers Kindle system and deleting eBooks already purchased). Of course, the irony was that the books were George Orwells Animal Farm and 1984. Apparently Amazon sold the books without the right to do so:

According to Amazon spokesman Drew Herdener, These books were added to our catalog using our self-service platform by a third-party who did not have the rights to the books. When we were notified of this by the rights holder, we removed the illegal copies from our systems and from customers devices, and refunded customers.

Of course, they did it without notifying their customers first.

How 1984 of them.

They claim it (the removal) will not happen again.

Dustin

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » July 20th, 2009, 3:29 pm

Richard mentioned it over in the Pirate Bay thread.

-Jim

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 20th, 2009, 3:47 pm

Bob Cunningham wrote:I am interested in that also. I love the Kindle, but for e-books to flourish two problems have to be solved for the authors.

1) there must be DRM that provides at least as much protection as paper (I think this has been accomplished).

If, when you say accomplished, you mean 'tested by the video and audio marketplace, found to annoy customers and do nothing to stop piracy at all' then yes, I agree.

;)

Joe Pecore

Postby Joe Pecore » July 20th, 2009, 3:55 pm

Bob Cunningham wrote:I am interested in that also. I love the Kindle, but for e-books to flourish two problems have to be solved for the authors.

What kind of protection does paper provide?

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » July 20th, 2009, 4:05 pm

Protection is always a relative concept.

A paper book is not EASY to convert to digital form. You must have a scanner. If the scanner has no automatic feed, each page must be scanned manually. If the scanner has an automatic feeder, the binding of the book must be destroyed.

The same is true of photocopying a book

For the average user these inconveniences are enough of a hurdle to prevent casual piracy.

mrgoat

Postby mrgoat » July 20th, 2009, 4:12 pm

Joe Pecore wrote:

What kind of protection does paper provide?

When you scan paper, the Naughty Don't Scan Books monster comes out and punches you square in the face and calls you a 'Mrs Slocombe's pet'.
Last edited by mrgoat on July 20th, 2009, 4:13 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: kitty

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » July 20th, 2009, 4:15 pm

I'm not sure I disagree with you.

However, until you reach a tipping point of popularity where content owners "must" provide their information in this format in order to be profitable, the concerns of the content providers must be addressed.

Even if you grant that all DRM is ultimately futile (and I think it is) industries that are used to having very tight control of their content have not in the past been willing to release theory content with out DRM.

I think this is very unlikely to change in the future.

Historically, it seems that DRM drops off AFTER a particular kind of content in a digital form becomes main stream (software, music, etc.)

Mike Carr

Postby Mike Carr » July 20th, 2009, 4:57 pm

Kindle books good. Real books gooder.
"Then he seized the pack."
"Do you like card tricks?"
Max Kelada

benrl

Postby benrl » July 20th, 2009, 7:28 pm

This free utility claims to convert pdf's to mobi's:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/autokindle/

Dave V

Re: Magic books on Kindle? Do we really "own" them?

Postby Dave V » July 21st, 2009, 10:23 am

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32014285/ns ... d_gadgets/

I'm not sure that anything we place on Kindle is actually there or just a link to a "Big Brother" server that stores it for us. Whatever the case, it seems Amazon has the power to access Kindle readers and if there's something they don't want us to see, erase them from the readers.

I think the "Kindle" concept is a great idea, but ...
"I still play with a full deck, I just shuffle slower"

Bob Cunningham

Postby Bob Cunningham » July 21st, 2009, 10:44 am

Books are stored on the Kindle, but the the kindle has a built in data connection which uses the cell phone network.

Amazon has the ability remove content you have purchased remotely via a "kill" command. In this case, which is the only one to date, they removed a book which was illegally sold. The publisher did not have rights to "1984" or "Animal Farm" so the books were removed and the money was refunded.

Whether this is good or bad depends on whose ox is being gored. I suspect that some on this forum would not object if it was discovered that illegal copies of their work were being sold and the copies were removed and the money refunded.

As far as Amazon is concerned this has been a PR disaster. Every geek forum has castigated Amazon for this decision. This is significant because geeks are early adopters and champions of disruptive technologies like e-book readers.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » July 21st, 2009, 11:26 am

Bob Cunningham wrote:In this case, which is the only one to date...

In fact, there have been reports of Amazon removing works by the following authors from user's devices under similar circumstances:

Ayn Rand
JK Rowling
Stephanie Meyer

It is definitely not an isolated incident.

-Jim

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » July 21st, 2009, 11:27 am

Rumor of unbook doubleplus ungood.
proper text of vanity fair as always.
Ignorance Prevails.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Tabman

Postby Tabman » July 21st, 2009, 11:49 am

History has shown us that Magicians are usually early to embrace technology like R-H and his war stopping Light Heavy Box, Jos. Dunninger on the radio, Copperfield and his Kevlar and now Tabman on Kindle. ;)

-=tab

Return to “Buzz”