Mahka Tendo is Dead at 49

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Mahka Tendo is Dead at 49

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 25th, 2009, 9:57 pm

I had known that my friend, FISM-winning card manipulator and all-around great guy Mahka Tendo had throat cancer, but I didn't realize the end would come so soon. Alan Watson is reporting that he died today.
Very sad.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Re: Mahka Tendo is Dead at 49

Postby BlueEyed Videot » May 25th, 2009, 11:24 pm

Richard, that's terrible news. Tendo was one of my favorites to watch. He made card manipulation look so easy. He was way too young. My heartfelt condolences to you, his friend, and to his family. He will be missed, and very much remembered.

He was a smoker, wasn't he? Damn that evil weed.

Jamy Ian Swiss

Postby Jamy Ian Swiss » May 26th, 2009, 12:06 am

I too had heard that he had cancer, but the news is no less shocking. Mahka was an astonishing magician, who created original card manipulations that stunned the magic world. He was as gracious and delighful a gentleman and colleague as he was a talented artist. It's a terrible and untimely loss.

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » May 26th, 2009, 3:36 am

if i had to single out an act as being the best, Mahka Tendo's would be high on the list.
His manipulation act, in particular his jumbo cards, has inspired a generation of japanese magicians. People like shoot ogawa, owe a great debt of thanks to this consumate performer.
May he rest in peace.

my thoughts are with his family and friends, and all those whom had their life touched by the genius that was Mahka Tendo.
D.

Keisuke Izumi

Postby Keisuke Izumi » May 26th, 2009, 4:36 am

I don't know the cause of his death, but it might cause by throat cancer. A big cancer was found in his throat at last December and he was in hospital in Tokyo. But the treatments were out of insurance, so it will be to high(over USD40,000 a month). Then his friends established The Society of Revival Mahka Tendo and finnaly it reached over USD10,000, but...

My best friend and teacher, Tendo. Thanks for everything. Hope you will enjoy with greatest magicians. RIP

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » May 26th, 2009, 5:48 am

[size:14pt][font:Book Antiqua]
This is very sad and disturbing news. Mahka was a wonderful person who truly loved the art of magic. He was an incredible artist who never lost his child like enthusiasm for magic. Mahka was also very supportive of all of his friends in magic. This is a big loss for us but I will always be grateful for knowing him and for the times we spent together.

Eric DeCamps

[/font][/size]

Paul Richards

Postby Paul Richards » May 26th, 2009, 8:15 am

I'm stunned to read this. Seeing his act for the first time was one of the most memorable experiences Ive ever had in magic. Others have tried to emulate his jumbo card act, but in my mind they all look like jugglers...Mahkas act looked like magic. His enthusiasm and grace both on and off stage will be missed. This is truly sad news, leaving an awfully big hole in the world of magic and in the hearts of those who knew him.

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » May 26th, 2009, 9:48 am

There appears to be clip of him involving a cane trick on YouTube. Is there any other performance material of his around so those of us who missed his all too short presense can have some idea of who left us?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

David Oliver

Postby David Oliver » May 26th, 2009, 12:46 pm

This is another terrible loss for our community. I was lucky enough to have met Mahka at several conventions and worked with him on a few of those occasions. He would always greet me with a warm smile and a resounding "hello, David, my friend," as if we had been best friends since childhood. This always made me smile. His act astounded the world with manipulations unlike any had seen before. His grace, technique and shear grasp of what real magic SHOULD look like was amazing. Beyond the act, he was a true gentleman. This is indeed a sad day. Goodbye, Mahka, my friend.
- DO

IrishMagicNews

Postby IrishMagicNews » May 26th, 2009, 2:46 pm

Sad news indeed.

Jonathan Townsend wrote:There appears to be clip of him involving a cane trick on YouTube. Is there any other performance material of his around so those of us who missed his all too short presense can have some idea of who left us?

I bought some canes from him at Blackpool 2 yrs ago and he gave me a DVD. Obviously shot at a lecture in Japan. I am not sure if this was ever sold as a product or was it just something he gave to people who bought canes from him.

Brendan
Brendan

News, Lectures, Societies & Magic in Ireland
http://www.IrishMagicNews.com

Shenanigans the irish magic convention 2-4 May 2014 Dublin
http://www.IrishMagicConvention.com

Dale Shrimpton

Postby Dale Shrimpton » May 26th, 2009, 4:26 pm

the full card manipulation act....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FeduhzVb-wA

HenningPaul

Postby HenningPaul » May 27th, 2009, 10:21 pm

I was Tendo's backstage assistant once in New York. I still remember how he asked that I 'pick up the cards off of the stage,' and not sweep them up with a broom.

He was a gentle, most talented man.

HP

Return to “Buzz”