Vanishing Inc. Magic - a new website

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Andi

Vanishing Inc. Magic - a new website

Postby Andi » April 17th, 2009, 6:39 am

There's been a little buzz over the internet about mine and Joshua Jay's joint project; Vanishing Inc. so I thought I'd take a moment to post a link here:

http://www.vanishingincmagic.com

The site features our initial line of new publications (including magic by Pit Hartling, Gregory Wilson, Caleb Wiles and Tony Chang) and a glimpse of what's to come from our brand (magic by Troy Hooser, Rune Klan, Tyler Wilson and more).

The goal at Vanishing Inc. is to provide a real magic shop experience. The advent of online shopping has created a disconnect between the browsing magician and his shop. Our content and descriptions are 100 percent original and honest; we'll tell you what we like best about the items we carry, and unlike the rest of the pack, we'll tell you what we don't like.

I hope this site is of some interest to the Genii members.

--Andi Gladwin

BlueEyed Videot
Favorite Magician: Max Maven, Ray Anderson

Re: Vanishing Inc. Magic - a new website

Postby BlueEyed Videot » April 17th, 2009, 8:11 pm

I have no connection to Vanishing Inc. The view expressed below is strictly my own. I offer it to the readers of the Genii forum unsolicited and unannounced.

I can say that without a doubt, Caleb Wiles' new card book "High Spots", published by Vanishing Inc., is a must buy. I haven't been this impressed by a new book in a very long time. I was fortunate enough to see Mr. Wiles perform the effects in the book at last month's "The False Deal" convention in Oklahoma City, where he wowed everyone present with his clever routines. Caleb's card magic is a mixture of the creativity of David Regal, the savvy of John Bannon, and the outr of Max Maven.

None of the routines require heavy work, yet the audience impact is very great indeed. The explanations are clear, the accompanying photos are always referenced by text on the same page (the lack of which is a pet peeve of mine); and the overall design and layout of the book is eye-catching and easy to read. Each effect is presented in an Effect, Sleights, Setup, Performance, Comments, and Credits format with the occasional Clean-up and Alternate Handling sections. Crediting is thorough, however common sleights such as the Elmsley count are not explained in detail, which kicks this book into the intermediate skill classification. For me, having to wade through explanations of simple sleights becomes burdensome after a while, so I'm glad the author and/or editors chose to leave them out. More obscure sleights like Larry Jenning's Rhythm Count, J.K. Hartman's Secret Subtraction, and Noel Stanton's Pivot Color Change are explained within the context of each effect.

My personal favorites from the book include "26!", a spectator is subliminally influenced to shuffle one half of the deck to match the order of the other half -- a cheeky swindle of the finest sort which literally had me gaping like a codfish when I saw it. Computer geeks will get a kick out of "iDeck" and "Replicator", two effects which feature mirthful computer-themed patter with cool card magic. Then there's "ReSwindled", Caleb's variation of "Re-set" that may be familiar to readers of Joshua Jay's column in Magic magazine and owners of Paul Harris' True Astonishment DVDs. There's also a stand-up routine named "Word Perfect", a fiendish visitation of the "Deep Astonishment I & II" themes that really should be marketed on its own--thankfully, for us, it's included in the book.

"High Spots" features eleven of Caleb Wiles' well-crafted routines and comes stapled in an enameled cover, with 72 pages and just under one hundred clear B&W photographs. Edited by Tyler Wilson, Joshua Jay, and Andi Gladwin, with design by Michael Eaton and Andi Gladwin, "High Spots" is truly high up on the scale of great card magic.

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » April 17th, 2009, 8:19 pm

Another item that Vanishing Inc. has available (as a download) is Tony Chang's "ChangE". This is a highly visual change of a single (or even multiple) card(s). Check out the video on their site. I was lucky enough to learn this from Tony directly a few years ago, and from the right angles it looks fantastic.

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Timothysmagic

Postby Timothysmagic » April 17th, 2009, 9:52 pm

This seems like a great little company so far. I got Tony's 'ChangE' Change a few weeks ago. A beautiful, very visual color change. It takes a bit of practice to get it just right and find your angles, but I imagine with a little work anyone could learn this. And get this, The neatest thing about this purchace is that it comes with the explinations for a couple of great effects utilizing the change! Its not very often that applications are included these days with a purchace like this. And the effects are not fillers by any means. I'm very happy with this, my first purchace from Vanishing Inc.

My second purchace from them was Greg Wilson's 'Biclette'. A wonderful little routine useing nothing but a Bic pen. I just got this so I really have not had a chance to play with it. But it looks like it will be something that I actually use. Practical and very visual.

I think next I will just have to get 'High Spots'. I've heard so many good things about it. Seems like a must read.

Anyway, My congratulations to everyone at Vanishing Inc. for your success with your new project.

I wish all the best for you and look forward to the future.

Richard Hatch

Postby Richard Hatch » April 18th, 2009, 12:06 am

Pit Hartling's THE CORE is, as usual with Pit, a great combination of presentation and clever methodology. I'm having fun with it.

Tony Rush

Postby Tony Rush » April 18th, 2009, 10:10 pm

I just picked up "High Spots" and "Holy Blank" -- they have a bundle deal where you get both for $30 if you buy them together. (I think it's a $10 savings or something).

Andi, I'm extremely impressed with the site. From a web-design standpoint, it's very clean, intuitive and easy to navigate. The video work is not only good content but -- and this is a personal preference -- I like this kind of video MUCH better than what we typically see on sites like Ellusionist or Theory11. (I find that their videos are more focused on style than substance.)

So, congratulations on the launch of the new company. I had a great customer experience and look forward to visiting often.

Tony

Timothysmagic

Postby Timothysmagic » April 19th, 2009, 10:31 pm

I just picked up "The Core" today. After watching the demo about ten times I just couldn't take it anymore. Very, Very Clever indeed! I love effects like this.

It will take a little practice to get down depending on how good you are at the method. But I highly recommend it. Pit gives a very in depth explanation and it shouldn't take much to get the basics.

I'm really starting to like this shop.

jason156
Favorite Magician: Bro. John Hamman, Simon Aronson, David Regal

Postby jason156 » April 19th, 2009, 10:42 pm

Very nice website..........

Andi

Postby Andi » April 23rd, 2009, 2:11 am

Wow - thanks for your positive feedback everyone! It really means a lot to hear so many kind words.

--Andi

rkosby

Postby rkosby » June 4th, 2009, 3:52 am

Nice website Andi. I especially like how the demo vids show the tricks without editing 100 cuts together. It's about time.

I read High Spots a few days ago. It has strong content. One trick can be done for large audiences which is unusual for card tricks. My personal favorites were 26!, Little Fella Grows Up, Semi-Automatic Luck Test, Reswindled, and Here-A-Move, There-A-Move, Everywhere-A-Move-Move. It was a fun read. The descriptions, photos, and layout were all well done.

I had the pleasure of watching Caleb perform iDeck, Replicator, and 26! at a convention last year. They all look great when he performs them.

This is the second publication from Andi that I read. The first one was Dominatricks. Also a great book. It had the same high quality content, and production.

I'm looking forward to Movers and Shakers which is next on my reading list.

Ray

DrDanny

Postby DrDanny » June 4th, 2009, 10:15 am

There wasn't much to dislike about "High Spots" IMO. Well written, extensive crediting, some clever material (e.g. 26!), and a good price. I look forward to seeing more from Wiles in the future.

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » June 4th, 2009, 11:12 am

I loved High Spots. It's the lead "story" in this month's Little Egypt Magic.

Return to “Buzz”