Ricky Jay's New Stage Show

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Magic Newswire

Ricky Jay's New Stage Show

Postby Magic Newswire » April 1st, 2009, 7:07 am

Ricky Jay is starting to tour with his new show "A Rogues Gallery: An Evening of Conversation & Performance" and will appear in Boston next Friday. READ MORE

Jim Martin

Re: Ricky Jay's New Stage Show

Postby Jim Martin » April 1st, 2009, 9:08 am

Thanks for the post. Make sure to click on 'Phoenix' for the full interview.

After Boston, it plays in Toronto.

Great photos here:
http://rickyjay.com/
Jim Martin
St. Louis MO

NCMarsh
Favorite Magician: Devant, Wonder, Richiardi, Benson, DeKolta, Teller, Harbin, Durham, Caveney, Ben, Hoy, Berglas, Marceau

Postby NCMarsh » April 1st, 2009, 11:14 am

I also saw that Criterion Collection is releasing, or just released, a twentieth anniversary DVD of House of Games (my favorite Mamet) with commentary by Mamet and Jay.

N.

Adam Brooks

Postby Adam Brooks » April 1st, 2009, 11:47 am

I'll be attending the show in Boston, and I'm extremely excited. I like that part of the show with be improvisatory, as I work at an improv comedy theater. Should be quite a trip.

I'll post a review next weekend.

Magic Mike

Postby Magic Mike » April 1st, 2009, 2:52 pm

Look forward to your review, Adam. I have tickets for the Toronto shows.
Very excited to see Ricky here. I don't think he's played Toronto before.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 4th, 2009, 2:56 pm

Here's a direct link to the Phoenix interview:
http://thephoenix.com/Portland/Arts/792 ... Ricky-Jay/

DO NOT CLICK ON THIS LINK UNLESS YOU ARE COMPUTER SAVVY AND KNOW HOW TO AVOID MALWARE.
Last edited by Richard Kaufman on April 4th, 2009, 10:39 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: At the suggestion of Mr. Bryant
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » April 4th, 2009, 3:28 pm

My attempt to connect to that link immediately told me that the link contains malware. I've never encountered that on any site before. Be warned.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » April 4th, 2009, 4:01 pm

It's easily avoided: a few seconds after going to the link, the screen will change to something telling you that your computer is infected and you need to download software. Just click the back button on your browser and you'll return to the story no worse for wear.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 4th, 2009, 7:36 pm

How about loading adblocker plus?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » April 4th, 2009, 10:24 pm

Richard:

You should immediately delete that post.

This is one of those more malicious malwares. If anyone of your readers handles this incorrectly, he or she will get a nasty infection.

Steve H

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » April 4th, 2009, 10:37 pm

Steve, which component on the page has the malware?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » April 9th, 2009, 4:54 pm

Ricky Jay's new show premiers tonight in Boston. In anticipation (and to promote he show) there's a lengthy article profiling Jay and discussing "Rogue's Gallery." In the article, Blaine is quoted as saying that Ricky was his "Greatest Teacher." READ MORE

P.T.Widdle

Postby P.T.Widdle » April 14th, 2009, 3:30 pm

I saw the show last Friday. It was my fourth time seeing Ricky Jay. I saw 52 Assistants twice, On the Stem once, and now Rogue's Gallery.

Of course I enjoyed it. What's nice about this show is that it is different each time, so there probably won't be too many spoilers here.

Projected on a large screen behind him are about 100 thumbnail pictures from his collection. He has audience members call out numbers and then he chooses one. The thumbnail is enlarged and he tells a story about it. Sometimes this leads into an effect. Sometimes he shows a video clip.

The stories were all entertaining, some more than others. One story about a Siegfried and Roy party elicited howls of laughter from the audience.

The process of choosing the pictures seemed to annoy Ricky a little bit. He seemed bothered by having to choose a number from all the shouters. Once, when a number was requested, a doofus yelled out "Dai Vernon!" That couldn't have made Ricky happy.

The several card effects didn't seem to rock the crowd as much as I remembered from other shows. One card effect was performed in front of a giant photo of Charlie Miller.

One effect that really mystified me was a bag trick where an audience member rolled a die several times as numbered paper bags were eliminated. Each bag had some humorous item in them. The final bag contained Ricky's Dice book autographed to the selected spectator.

The Knight's Tour finale was a crowd pleaser.

Overall, I would say the stories and video clips were the highlight of this show, more than the magic, strange as that may seem.

AMCabral

Postby AMCabral » April 14th, 2009, 5:20 pm

P.T.Widdle wrote:I saw the show last Friday. It was my fourth time seeing Ricky Jay. I saw 52 Assistants twice, On the Stem once, and now Rogue's Gallery.

I was there, too. Did you have your light-up rabbit in a hat pin on? I left mine at home.

The process of choosing the pictures seemed to annoy Ricky a little bit. He seemed bothered by having to choose a number from all the shouters. Once, when a number was requested, a doofus yelled out "Dai Vernon!" That couldn't have made Ricky happy.

"That's not a number." I thought it a curious choice for someone reportedly that averse to hecklers to subject himself to that kind of procedure. It will be interesting to see if and how they attempt to streamline that procedure in future performances. They also need to figure out how to get to each image more quickly. "Fitz" seemed to be having a time of it.

Overall, I would say the stories and video clips were the highlight of this show, more than the magic, strange as that may seem.

I get the feeling that that's the point of this particular show. If "52" was about cards and "On The Stem" is about sideshows and the midway, "Rogues Gallery" seems to just be about Ricky Jay.

-T

Return to “Buzz”