The Auction of Master Craftsman & Collector Leslie C. Smith of Owen Magic Supreme

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
MagicAuctioneer

The Auction of Master Craftsman & Collector Leslie C. Smith of Owen Magic Supreme

Postby MagicAuctioneer » March 16th, 2009, 5:09 pm

The website is now up for [size:14pt]The Auction of Master Craftsman and Collector Leslie C. Smith[/size]. Leslie C. Smith Auction Website

On the site you will find the bidder registration form, absentee bid form, as well as a link to convenient hotels in the area.

The beautiful full color, special limited edition of 500 signed and numbered catalogs are available for purchase for $25 pp US or $35 pp International. Catalog ordering information is available on the site as well. Catalog Information

The auction will be held on [size:14pt]Sunday, June 28, 2009 at Owen Magic Supreme [/size], 734 North McKeever Ave., Azusa, CA 91702. The sale will start at 9:00 a.m. P.S.T. The preview will be Saturday, June 27th from 11:00 a.m. 3:00 p.m.

Online bidding will be available from www.liveauctioneers.com. [size:14pt] [/size] Absentee and telephone bids will also be accepted directly.

Leslie C. Smith (1915-2008), of Owen Magic Supreme, was the consummate collector of books, catalogs, periodicals and fine apparatus relating to conjuring and the allied arts.

Les's fine collection will be offered at auction and will include books, catalogs, and periodicals such as:
1st edition Hero of Alexandria 1575 1st Edition Erdnase Goldstons Locked Books Magic of Robert Harbin Wonderful selection of Houdini Books Thayer, Owen, Martinka, & Hamley Catalogs Complete Files of Magician Monthly, Houdinis Conjurers Monthly Magazine, The Sphinx, The Wizard, plus much,
much more!

The apparatus will include treasurers such as:
Heros Horse P&Ls Shooting Through A Women Unique pieces from Marvyn & Carol Roys Show P&L Rose Bush Wonderful hand turned Thayer, Owen, Smith, & Zagorsky pieces Uncirculated P&L Apparatus Beautiful Thayer, Owen, and Merv Taylor Apparatus!!

The auction is being conducted by David Goodman of Auction Results, Chicago, IL. 773-883-0243

Donal Chayce

Re: The Auction of Master Craftsman & Collector Leslie C. Smith of Owen Magic Supreme

Postby Donal Chayce » March 16th, 2009, 7:12 pm

The registration form has five lines for "References." Are references really required to participate in this auction? If so, what type and how many?
The MacGician®

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Re: The Auction of Master Craftsman & Collector Leslie C. Smith of Owen Magic Supreme

Postby Dustin Stinett » March 16th, 2009, 10:15 pm

Hi David,

May I ask who signed the catalogs?

If so (thus preempting the simple yes or no answer for which the above question actually calls), who signed the catalogs? (I don't find this anywhere on the site.)

Thanks!
Dustin

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » March 16th, 2009, 11:22 pm

When will the catalog be on line?

MagicAuctioneer

Postby MagicAuctioneer » March 17th, 2009, 2:11 pm

To answer Donal, Dustin and David in order:

To participate live you will need references. These can be from other magic auctions you have successfully purchased from or known collectors who will vouch for you in our niche. It is a small community and more than likely we will know you by one or two degrees of separation. Please know that we will try to accomodate all who are interested.

The catalogs will be signed by Gertrude Smith (Les's wife and devoted partner) and Alan Zagorsky, Gertrude and Les's son and proprietor of Owen Magic Supreme (and a master craftsman in his own right).

The catalog will be on-line aproximately 5 weeks prior to the auction.

Donal Chayce

Postby Donal Chayce » March 17th, 2009, 7:47 pm

Thanks, David. I went ahead and faxed in my application without any references and ordered a catalog as well. I received an email from Alexia confirming that both my application and my order had been received, and that catalogs would be shipping on or about 4/8.

If I still need to give a reference, I was a live bidder and purchaser at the recent Billy McComb auction. If you need more than that, let me know (I've purchased individual items from various collectors).
The MacGician®

MagicAuctioneer

Postby MagicAuctioneer » March 18th, 2009, 10:05 am

Donal.

Thanks. I am delighted to hear that you were a purchaser at the Billy McComb Auction that I did. I will look forward to seeing you at Smith sale in June.

With my regards,
David

MagicAuctioneer

Postby MagicAuctioneer » April 21st, 2009, 11:31 am

Please know that the catalogs have arrived and are currently shipping out to purchasers. This is a catalog that you will definitely keep in your collection long past the sale.

MagicAuctioneer

Postby MagicAuctioneer » June 9th, 2009, 9:49 am

I am pleased to announce that the catalog for The Auction of Master Craftsman & Collector Leslie C. Smith is now online and available for internet buyer registration and bidding. It can be accessed by going to [size:14pt]Magicauctioneer.com[/size] and clicking on the online auction tab.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 9th, 2009, 12:20 pm

Oh there's some might fine stuff there.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » June 9th, 2009, 12:46 pm

Sure is. And you might get some mighty fine prices if the heavy hitters get the catalog mysteriously in their mail boxes. ;)
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » June 9th, 2009, 4:25 pm

Huh?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » June 9th, 2009, 4:42 pm

As in comped.
Please visit my website.

MagicAuctioneer

Postby MagicAuctioneer » June 17th, 2009, 10:50 am

A number of people have inquired about the different ways to bid at this auction. I wanted to clarify that we will be accepting four types of bids at the auction on June 28th - a week from next Sunday.

1.) [size:14pt]Absentee bids [/size]may be placed by filling out the Absentee Bid Form and then either faxing or mailing the filled out form to:

(626) 969-4614 Fax
734 North McKeever Ave,
Azusa, CA 91702

Simply state your maximum bid that you would want to pay and a representative will bid on your behalf, as if you were present bidding and will try to buy it for you at the lowest possible bid.

Please call (626) 969-4519 to confirm that your absentee bid was received.

2.) [size:14pt]Bid via the telephone the day of the auction in real time [/size]as the auction is being conducted. A representative will relay to you where the bid is at and will execute bids on your behalf per your vocal instruction. Please call (626) 969-4519 prior to Friday, June 26th to arrange telephone bidding.

3.) [size:14pt]Bid from anywhere in the world on your computer as the live auction takes place [/size]and advance your bids against the activity in the auction room or against other internet bidders. To do so, please register at magicauctioneer.com and click the link. This technology will also allow you to place an absentee bid ahead of time and will have the system bid upon your behalf to try to obtain the lot for lowest possible bid.

4.) [size:14pt]Join us in person at Owen Magic Supreme and experience the excitement of live bidding [/size]in what should be a truly fun filled, memorable event. The setting will be magical, as the sale will take place at this historical institution. Directions, local hotels, and registration forms are available here.

If I can answer your specific questions or assist in any way, please do not hesitate in giving me a call directly at (773) 883-0243.

David Goodman
[size:14pt]The MAGIC AUCTIONEER[/size]
www.magicauctioneer.com

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » June 17th, 2009, 12:32 pm

Why all the different and completely separate registration requirements?

I went through all the procedures as you folks laid out for bidding via the absentee process, and actually received an email from your internet auctioneer stating that I had been registered, and cleared to bid.

I THEN received another email a couple of days later which required me to register with two more forms (apparently directly with Owen Magic) completely separately from the above first registration.

At that point I gave up, and will keep 3 grand in my pocket as the whole process seems overly convoluted, confusing, and needlessly complex.

A guy should be called upon to register to participate one time, and then upon approval, be done with it......next step is bidding.

In the end, I have no idea who's who, Owen, MagicAuctioneer, Live Auctions........and I've got emails requesting that I send my credit card information seemingly long after I've successfully completed my registration.

Could you not have thought this through and made the process a little more streamlined and clear?

I'd not ever send my credit card information at this point in the process, as I have no idea who's asking for it, and what they intend to do with it.

MagicAuctioneer

Postby MagicAuctioneer » June 17th, 2009, 1:46 pm

Roger,

Unfortunately you were one of the first 10 people approved, prior to the automated e-mail being sent to you notifying you that credit card information should you be a lucky buyer would be required. Per the process, the only people who will have access to your credit card information are the respected folks at Owen Magic Supreme (where it is being sent) and they are treating it securely. Please know that this process has been resolved and again the only additional information that would be needed is a credit card on file.

We are sorry for the misunderstanding and certainly would be delighted to have you as a buyer at this auction.

If I can be of assistance to you in any way, please just give me a call directly at (773) 883-0243.

David Goodman
[size:14pt]The Magic Auctioneer[/size]
MagicAuctioneer.com

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » June 17th, 2009, 1:49 pm

That's a detailed and professional response David, and I thank you for it.

MagicAuctioneer

Postby MagicAuctioneer » June 24th, 2009, 11:22 am

Added bonus - for all who are attending the auction in person next Sunday, please know that our hosts Alan and Gertrude are graciously providing hors doeuvres and lovely wine during the event. We are anticipating a lot of fun at this memorable sale (even without the wine).

We look forward to your participation!

David Goodman
www.magicauctioneer.com

MagicAuctioneer

Postby MagicAuctioneer » June 27th, 2009, 12:30 am

Please know that if you are planning on bidding online you must be registered at least 2 hours prior to the start of the sale on Sunday (9:00 a.m. PST). Of course, you are more than welcome to bid via telephone, absentee bid, or in person.

All the best,

David Goodman
[size:14pt]The Magic Auctioneer [/size]
www.magicauctioneer.com

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 27th, 2009, 12:46 am

It starts at 9:00 AM?

In the morning?!?

MagicAuctioneer

Postby MagicAuctioneer » June 27th, 2009, 9:26 am

Yes Dustin, that's right.
Let me know if you would like me to set up a pillow and blankie for you or perhaps a cup of coffee? Looking forward to seeing you bright and early.

David
www.magicauctioneer.com

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » June 30th, 2009, 1:09 am

So what happened? What was hot, what was not?
Please visit my website.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 30th, 2009, 3:03 am

It was a great day. There were some bargains and a few surprises. David Goodman did his usual fantastic job. J.P. Jackson (a terrific guy who came all the way up from the San Diego area) had the best line of the day: Im going broke buying bargains!

I think that the Thayer items were the most popular followed by P&L (some real beauties there, most still in their original packaging!) Of course the Owens apparatus did fairly well too.

By my count there were 77 of the 281 lots that were passed (one lot was scratched at the open). Many of these were huge book lots that didnt get to the reserve. David will be selling the books individually on his site (so keep an eye open because there are some fantastic items). Obviously the books were put into lots for this auction otherwise wed still be there. I think all of the individual book lots soldtwo of them to yours truly. I tell you what, if this were about three years agowhen I was a little more flush than I can currently claimmy book collection would have expanded significantly. I would have happily paid the reserve for any of these book lots. But I had to stay focused on what I thought I could afford. (But I still caught hell for it, and rightfully so I should add. I will be selling some of my golf book collection on eBay soon to pay for the day!)

There were a few big ticket items that passed, like Mr. Electrics rhinestone covered production Eiffel Tower (a stunning piece) and the Owens Heros Horse. (Some of the more savvy folks there commented afterward that this piece needs to be seen and demonstrated to be truly appreciated. It certainly is a beautiful thing to see.)

One of the coolest items there was a set of Charles Waller notebooks. They went for nearly triple the high estimate. The buyerwhose identity I will keep to myselfgot a truly wonderful item indeed. (He told me that, like me, he would be in the doghouse that night. But hey, at least we both had some great reading to take with us!)

It was a terrific time: Great food, drink, company, and hospitality by all the folks at Owens. Im glad I made it up there; even at 9 AM!

Dustin

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 30th, 2009, 4:18 pm

Dustin -- do you recall what lot #79 (1st Edition Erdnase) went for? Apparently my (fax) bid was insufficient, and when I called Owen to find out, they didn't want to release the number. (I don't understand that, since anyone who attended would know what it hammered for).

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » June 30th, 2009, 4:39 pm

Bill Mullins wrote:Dustin -- do you recall what lot #79 (1st Edition Erdnase) went for?

I'm not Dustin :) but according to my notes it went for $1,800 (excluding buyer's premium). I would expect the realized prices to be available sometimes this week on their site... on the LiveAuctioneers site (http://www.liveauctioneers.com/catalog/19075) it seems there are prices only against some random lots... :(
Marco Pusterla - http://www.mpmagic.com

Ye Olde Magic Mag: magic history and collecting magazine.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 1st, 2009, 1:27 am

My notes agree with Marco's.

John Bodine

Postby John Bodine » July 1st, 2009, 3:56 pm

$1800 would be about $2350 after the Buyers premium and sales tax. The Jay Marshall copy in the July of 2008 sold for $2800 plus premium, seems the pullback in the economy is impacting everybody.

Based solely on the images, the Jay Marshall copy was in better shape but images can be deceiving.

martinka

Postby martinka » August 1st, 2009, 3:40 am

As another point of reference in June 2008, a first edition Erdnase on martinka brought just over $5,200 with the premium.
Ted Bogusta
Martinka & Co.
wwww.martinka.com
201-444-7576

conjuringbooks

Postby conjuringbooks » February 20th, 2010, 1:10 pm

Are the prices realized for this auction posted anywhere? The Auction Results website appears to show only prices from buyers who bid through their website. I purchased a catalog, but as prices realized were not mailed out, it is fairly useless...

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » February 20th, 2010, 3:53 pm

AFAIK, they never released the prices realized. I asked the guy from Owens way back (after the end of the auction, where I bought some lots) but he said that this time they weren't going to release the prices :(

I don't have any further details... they may have released the prices, but I haven't got them...

magicam

Postby magicam » February 22nd, 2010, 3:45 am

^^^ Agree with Marco's sad icon - a pity prices were not posted. Very unusual for any reputable auction house not to post prices realized. My guess, based strictly on what I heard from those who attended the auction, is that the # of unsold lots and abysmal prices realized for many lots contributed to this decision. Hopefully, this was not the decision of the auction house (I kinda doubt that it was).

Marco Pusterla

Postby Marco Pusterla » February 22nd, 2010, 4:12 am

Clay,

That's my guess, too... I was on liveauctioneers and was surprised about many lots not selling. I also think the estimates were way out of order. Saying that, I am very pleased with the stuff I got (mostly books) as they are all in excellent condition, some looking like new.

All the best,

Return to “Buzz”