Spooky Effect

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Spooky Effect

Postby Matthew Field » December 10th, 2008, 11:31 am

Here's a very spooky looking effect performed on Hong Kong TV.

http://hk.youtube.com/watch?v=muB6aRDrr ... 3&index=52

Matt Field

George Olson

Re: Spooky Effect

Postby George Olson » December 10th, 2008, 1:26 pm

Wow!

GO

Jim Maloney

Postby Jim Maloney » December 10th, 2008, 2:01 pm

I'm guessing it's the same idea behind this and this?

-Jim
Books and Magazines for sale -- more than 200 items (Last updated January 10th, 2014. Link goes to public Google Doc.)

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » December 10th, 2008, 3:53 pm

Nice. That's Craig Matsuoka's effect, it was sold by Hocus Pocus about a year ago. (?)

Craig Matsuoka

Postby Craig Matsuoka » December 10th, 2008, 9:52 pm

Well, this is a pleasant surprise. Nicely done. I dont speak this performers language, but I do understand the audience reaction. Astonishment is our lingua franca, after all.

Yes, hes using my trick Kinetink, but Hiro Sakai deserves full credit for the basic idea. He was the first to transform this scientific curiosity into a moment of magic. Thats a challenge magicians face in an increasingly tech savvy world, but engaging presentations can make effects like these much more palatable.

Im delighted that someone thought my trick was suitable for TV, but a major goal in developing Kinetink was to make Sakais concept more practical for working close-up performers. In other words, it had to be clean (literally) and easy to transport. I also wanted to create a different spookier effect -- that of a drawing being scrawled by an invisible finger.

Kinetink was a short-run item (about 100 units) and is currently sold out. However, Im thinking about releasing it again. The raw materials are expensive and are not always easy for me to obtain in sufficient quantity. Moreover, the labor involved in manufacturing the product is maddening. Nevertheless, if theres enough interest to make it worthwhile, Ill consider doing another small run.

BTW, I have a larger notepad version of Kinetink in the works. It will be capable of drawing up to four different shapes: star, square, triangle, and circle.

Craig Matsuoka

Ray T. Stott

Postby Ray T. Stott » December 10th, 2008, 11:44 pm

Jim Maloney wrote:I'm guessing it's the same idea behind this and this?

-Jim

Mr. Maloney,
I clicked your you second "this" link that carried me to a T.H.E.M. performance. About thirty seconds into the clip a message came on the screen saying "[color:#FF0000]Law and Order...Coming Next[/color]."

You know, I replayed that clip 23 times and Law and Order never did come on.

It's not about the magic; it's about the daily box office gross.

Travis
Favorite Magician: Charles Morritt

Postby Travis » December 11th, 2008, 2:24 pm

Craig, I sent you a PM.

Return to “Buzz”