Criss Angel Believe Buzz

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Ray T. Stott

Re: Criss Angel Believe Buzz

Postby Ray T. Stott » December 26th, 2008, 1:02 pm

[font:Arial Black]
Edward wrote:Wow! why can't people just allow others to have a different opinion.?

No reason at all.
I suggest that you follow your own rule.[/font]
It's not about the magic; it's about the daily box office gross.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » January 7th, 2009, 1:58 am

Layman's take:

http://www.alamosanews.com/V2_news_arti ... 36&page=74

"Of course, the highlight of our trip was Believe, the Cirque de Soleil show in the Luxors main theater featuring Criss Angel, the magician. The show was absolutely fantastic, from beginning to end, and was worth every penny (hey, we can start a NEW college fund). We sat in the third row on the aisle, and Criss performed several of his illusions standing right next to us. I would offer my daughters comments on the show, but I must wait until she recovers from the state of catatonia she lapsed into when Criss looked at her and smiled.

The show featured sleight of hand, incredible illusions, and magic tricks unlike anything I have ever seen in my life. It was, quite literally, the best show that I have ever seen. My daughter now has Criss Angel jewelry, Criss Angel clothing items, and a Criss Angel poster in her room. Im sure that she will enjoy them if she ever wakes up."

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » January 7th, 2009, 5:22 pm

Craig Mitchell wrote:Layman's take:

http://www.alamosanews.com/V2_news_arti ... 36&page=74

"Of course, the highlight of our trip was Believe, the Cirque de Soleil show in the Luxors main theater featuring Criss Angel, the magician. The show was absolutely fantastic, from beginning to end, and was worth every penny (hey, we can start a NEW college fund). We sat in the third row on the aisle, and Criss performed several of his illusions standing right next to us. I would offer my daughters comments on the show, but I must wait until she recovers from the state of catatonia she lapsed into when Criss looked at her and smiled.

The show featured sleight of hand, incredible illusions, and magic tricks unlike anything I have ever seen in my life. It was, quite literally, the best show that I have ever seen. My daughter now has Criss Angel jewelry, Criss Angel clothing items, and a Criss Angel poster in her room. Im sure that she will enjoy them if she ever wakes up."

I was shocked to find a positive review. Blogged it under the heading "Someone Believes in Criss Angel.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » January 7th, 2009, 9:00 pm

This guy described the show as "It was, quite literally, the best show that I have ever seen."

Apparently he doesn't get out of Alamosa, Colorado (population 8562) very often because he also described a visit to "M & Ms World" (four floors of everything M&Ms) as an "unexpected highlight."

I think that puts their observations of the CA show in perspective.
Last edited by David Alexander on January 7th, 2009, 11:55 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: missed a quotation mark

Mark Paulson

Postby Mark Paulson » January 7th, 2009, 10:12 pm

David Alexander wrote:...he also described a visit to "M & Ms World" (four floors of everything M&Ms) as an "unexpected highlight.

I think that puts their observations of the CA show in perspective.

Hey, have YOU ever BEEN to M & Ms World, Mr Alexander? If not, you should check it out before you belittle it in the same post as a Criss Angel Show.

http://www.mymms.com/merchandise/las_vegas.asp

Mark Paulson
Last edited by Mark Paulson on January 7th, 2009, 10:12 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: I don't get out much, either.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » January 8th, 2009, 12:10 am

Mark,
I must admit that I have never been to M & M's World, the home of large anthropomorphized candy. (Mark, if you don't understand that word, wait a few moments and Jonathan Townsend will be along to explain it in equally polysyllabic, obtuse and overly verbose verbiage.) Apparently you are unaware of the danger these creatures represent.

I direct you here: http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/q18xbq3C ... YXA0PmQv1A
There was a five-year-old in front of the giant M&M just seconds before the photo was taken, but you can tell by the expression on its "face" that the child went down smoothly. The next picture (which I was unable to download) shows the mother's horrified expression as she realizes what has happened. Corporate interests bought her silence. (It wasn't her favorite kid, anyway.)

So, Mark (if that is your real name) I don't need to visit the detestable M & M's World to know the danger, yet you seem to be in favor of themMark. Indeed, are you some sort of covert M&M supporter in their campaign to take over the world in a cabal with the world's dentists? I mean, c'mon Mark, even their company is named "Mars."

Let's all wake up and smell the burning cocoa.
Last edited by David Alexander on January 8th, 2009, 12:16 am, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: added jab at Jon - two for one

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » January 8th, 2009, 1:33 am

In defense of M&M World - friends of mine love it ;-)

David Vamer

Postby David Vamer » January 8th, 2009, 4:05 am

M&M World is delightful. The Ethel M Chocolate Factory with it's free tour and cactus garden is even better....

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » January 8th, 2009, 6:25 am

Cirque du Soleil "Believe" featuring David Darkstone ?

http://www.lvrj.com/news/37258759.html

Where do they get this from ...

"Among the reported 4,300 clubgoers at XS nightclub's first industry night on Monday at Encore ... and magician David Darkstone, whose name has popped up as a potential replacement for Criss Angel in Cirque du Soleil's "Believe" (Luxor)"

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » January 8th, 2009, 9:59 am

Apparently people were impressed by Darkstone's performance on "Cheaters."

See the entire episode here: http://www.sumo.tv/watch.php?video=3302518

Several years ago Los Angeles shock jocks John and Ken observed that "there's no bottom any more."

So true.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » January 8th, 2009, 11:39 am

That clip is hilarious ! The Twister illusion in your underwear ... mmmmmmmmmm ...

Perhaps he should be considered for Zumanity instead ;-)

David Vamer

Postby David Vamer » January 8th, 2009, 2:30 pm

So.....They were getting it on in Denny's shop? ROFLMAO.

Couple of points....Nevada has a helmet law for motorcycles. No big deal if you're just shooting a driveaway shot that ends in the parking lot when the director yells "CUT." BIG problem if you actually head out for an evening spin.

I also seriously doubt that they would leave the front door to Denny's unlocked while they "rehearse" in the back. That part of Dean Martin drive is Crack Ho central.

Yeesh...you can't even trust CHEATERS not to cheat.

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » January 8th, 2009, 2:50 pm

CHEATERS in Spanish is even more transparently fake.

Hugh Castell

Postby Hugh Castell » January 8th, 2009, 5:23 pm

I just want to tell Mr Alexander that Mark Paulson's name is really Mark Paulson and that he does know the definition anthropomorhize. He's a nice guy and, like me, totally unaware it is a bad thing to like M&M World.

Keep it magical.

Hugh Castell

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 8th, 2009, 7:13 pm

M&M World rocks!
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » January 8th, 2009, 10:43 pm

Since I was so over the top in my post I suspect that Mark knows I was kidding, even if you seem to be taking it seriously. Apparently everyone else got the joke.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » January 9th, 2009, 4:44 am

Turns out censorship is in place at Criss' message board / 'loyals' forum at his website ...

Any reports / links to news articles mentioning the notion of a possible understudy or replacement mysteriously vanish ;-)

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » January 9th, 2009, 9:54 am

Well, they're not called "loyals" for nothing.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » January 9th, 2009, 1:05 pm

Craig Mitchell wrote:Turns out censorship is in place at Criss' message board / 'loyals' forum at his website ...

Any reports / links to news articles mentioning the notion of a possible understudy or replacement mysteriously vanish ;-)

Tested and verified. I posted the question "Is Criss Laeving Believe" with the quote from the story and a link to LVRJ at 7:20 this morning. Just checked after finishing an interview... ::poof::: It has vanished.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 9th, 2009, 1:30 pm

What the hell do you expect?

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » January 9th, 2009, 1:42 pm

I assume that the "Loyals" would be the first to want to know of any news in this regard ... If you are a declared fan - surely you stay on top of such developments - good or bad ?

And its also difficult to invoke censorship when you openly encourage members to post all articles relating to Believe ( not just the good ones )

It's still very humorous though.

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » January 9th, 2009, 2:38 pm

My post was an inquiry as to whether or not anyone else has heard anything with a link to the "rumor". It quickly disappeared. HERE'S A SCREEN GRAB while it was online.

I'm honestly surprised that they'd censor so heavily. Guess I need to be more cynical.

Another member of that Board them posted a question "Are Messages Here Censored" with a link to the same story. ::poof:: it too vanished.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » January 9th, 2009, 2:58 pm

Thankfully we've got the Genii forum ;-)

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 9th, 2009, 3:55 pm

I attended the last show on the last night believe ran before going dark. I'm not ready to talk about it just yet. All I will say at this time is the current reviews are not accurate. They are all far too kind.

Brad Henderson

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » January 9th, 2009, 4:52 pm

Craig Mitchell wrote:Thankfully we've got the Genii forum ;-)

Truly makes you appreciate a forum with free and open discussion...

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » January 9th, 2009, 11:40 pm

Brad Henderson wrote:I attended the last show on the last night believe ran before going dark. I'm not ready to talk about it just yet. All I will say at this time is the current reviews are not accurate. They are all far too kind.

Brad Henderson

Brad...I hope you're alright. I believe it takes the human nervous system 24 to 48 hours to recover from a strong shock. We look forward to your report when the doctors say you able to function normally.

I certainly hope you won't need long-term therapy for this.

David Vamer

Postby David Vamer » January 10th, 2009, 2:49 am

There are support groups here in LV for people whose lives have been shattered from seeing what you have seen. PM me for meeting details.

Mark Paulson

Postby Mark Paulson » January 10th, 2009, 3:02 am

I posted some rather negative comments on the M&M forum after David Alexander gave the link to that horrid photo of the child-eating, giant blue M&M. Guess what? My comments have 'mysteriously' vanished!

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » January 16th, 2009, 2:05 am

Norm Clarke reports "Five new illusions are being added to "Criss Angel Believe" (Luxor) during its break."

David Vamer

Postby David Vamer » January 16th, 2009, 6:04 am

Yep! And rumor has it that Criss has been blowing off rehearsal.

As an interesting side note, the most of the theater's tech crew is hoping to jump over to "The Lion King" when it opens in a few months.

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » January 16th, 2009, 4:23 pm

Geez, at least we know that Darkstone rehearses. (from the Cheaters clip) Maybe he is in line to take over, after all?

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » January 17th, 2009, 2:18 am

Las Vegas Weekly has a hard hitting article - comparing the changes at Le Reve to what needs to happen with Believe ...

http://www.lasvegasweekly.com/blogs/the ... believeem/

"So, what to do with Believe? The most difficult decision is also the most obvious, which is to pull Criss Angel off the stage. He doesnt have the charisma or swiftness of wit to make you care about the story arc (which youve probably read or even seen is a mishmash involving rabbits and matrimony), and is not an able enough illusionist to carry the production artistically. Hes not in the class of sleight-of-hand genius Jeff McBride, for one, whose $10 show at Palace Station was far more dazzling than the half-dozen or so tricks youll see in Believe. Same with Mac King, whose afternoon show at Harrahs is immensely entertaining you dont walk out of Mac Kings show feeling youve wasted a piece of your life. Once the Loyals have seen this show once and that day will come, regardless of how many Mindfreak devotees are out there attendance will sink like one of Angels Gothic rings tossed into a pond.

But Angel has a 10-year contract with the Luxor, you say? These 10-year contracts have a way of not actually lasting 10 years. Remember Wayne Newtons 10-year contract at the Stardust? Signed in 1999, that deal would be set to expire in October of this year. You might have noticed that not only is The Wayner no longer headlining at the Stardust, but there is no more Stardust. In that instance, Wayne and Boyd Gaming chief Bill Boyd agreed in 2003 to allow The Wayner to opt out of the deal so he could take over as the head of the USO and also to embark on his reality-contest show, The Entertainer. This, when six years remained on the original deal between Newton and Boyd. Different circumstances, yes, but the point is there is always a way to unwind these contracts.

And in Believe, theres a lot to work with. The Cirque elements, not surprisingly, are really good. The clowns, whom I think are a few of my old high school buddies, are laughable in the manner intended. The costuming and staging are great certainly, the problem with the show is not with the sets, lighting, sound, choreography or costumes. Its with the star. Start there, and Believe can be salvaged. Shows once deemed hopeless have recovered. Just ask Steve Wynn."

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » January 17th, 2009, 9:33 am

http://www.thedailyobserver.ca/ArticleD ... ?e=1392493

"Commenting on the direct involvement in the creative process by Cirque founder and CEO Guy Laliberte who partnered with Angel about three years ago, Ms. Martens said it's wonderful to see how the creation of the show came about, particularly in terms of the story's evolution.

This evolvement only to the day of the gala, but like all Cirque shows, will continue throughout the course of the production in order to keep it fresh and exciting for years to come.

The evolvement consists of several phases from the very first "lion's dance" when a complete run of the show is performed for those connected to Cirque, through to general rehearsals, then the show's soft opening also known as previews which typically commence four to five weeks in advance of the gala.

"It's during this time that you get a sense of the design and flow of the show,"Ms. Martens said, adding that, especially with a magic-based show, you need to do previews.

"During the previews the crew gets much better at doing things faster such as costume and makeup changes."

Ms. Martens said the artists also get more comfortable. "For example, with Criss, he is much more comfortable as a performer on stage in live theatre.

When he comes to talk to the audience -he's more in his element at that point. During the previews it allowed him to get more comfortable doing the theatrical aspects."

The previews which are open to the public were watched closely by the creative team, not only to see how it flows from an artistic perspective but also to gauge audience reaction and see from an audience member's perspective what worked well and what could be improved.

By the time of the gala opening, Ms. Martens said the core of the show remained the same but the final product was much "tighter" and even now, several months in, the creative team continues to meet in order to further evolve the experience and look at what else needs to be changed, improved or tweaked.

Ms. Martens said the cast of Believe is the smallest cast in Cirque, consisting of about 32 people.

Next in line is Zumanity with about 50 while most other Cirque shows have a casts in the range of 80-90 performers."

David Vamer

Postby David Vamer » January 18th, 2009, 5:37 am

On Las Vegas contracts...They almost always include an opt-out clause if attendance falls below an agreed-upon percentage.

Let's just say...there have been PLENTY of good seats available at Believe

Pepka

Postby Pepka » January 18th, 2009, 5:42 am

And by good seats, you mean they don't face the stage?

Doug Thornton
Favorite Magician: David Copperfield, Penn & Teller, Harry Anderson, Derren Brown, Mac King

Postby Doug Thornton » January 18th, 2009, 10:17 am

There is a TV show on the "CW" channel called "Supernatural".
This week's episode is titled "Criss Angel Is A D*****e Bag".

(Can I say that here?) [RK: NO}

http://www.cwtv.com/shows/supernatural/episodes

Ah, I just found that Mr. Townsend made note of this in "Alternative Media," in a more "politically correct" manner.
Smiles all around
https://www.facebook.com/groups/SAM161CALENDAR/
SAM 161 - The David Copperfield Assembly
https://www.sam161.com/

George Olson

Postby George Olson » January 21st, 2009, 12:58 pm

I just received this from Cirque:

A Haunting Journey with Criss Angel at 40% Off

Enjoy 40% off tickets to select performances to CRISS ANGEL Believe!

CRISS ANGEL Believe is a haunting exploration deep inside the inventive mind of mystifyer Criss Angel as he hovers between the land of the living and a surreal world.

Tickets outside this offer are also available.

Presented exclusively at Luxor Las Vegas.

We belong to the Cirque Club and get offers like this all the time, but never with this deep a discount!

GO

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 21st, 2009, 2:53 pm

And nobody knows what the show will look like when it reopens.

CraigMitchell

Postby CraigMitchell » January 22nd, 2009, 6:00 am

Tabloids are now taking the 40% discount as clear evidence of crisis mode ...
http://perezhilton.com/2009-01-21-criss ... till-sucks

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » January 22nd, 2009, 8:32 am

Perez Hilton? She's a voice of reality. :D
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Return to “Buzz”