Geoff Latta has Died at Age 51

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Mike Rubinstein

Re: Geoff Latta has Died at Age 51

Postby Mike Rubinstein » August 28th, 2008, 12:30 am

The memorial service was very fitting. Many of the NY magic crowd was present, including many family members and non magician friends. Magicians who attended included Simon Lovell, Wesley James, Peter Samuelson, Kainoa Harbottle, J.P. Laramie, Jeff Moche, Jordan Linker, Steve Cohen, Doug McKenzie, Gerald Deutch, and I'm sure others that I didn't see, remember, or recognize. Many were there in spirit, who wanted to come but were unable. Gallo was in Buffalo, Roth was in California, and Swiss was in San Diego. All sent their best, and I'm sure really wished they could be there. Several people got up to talk about Geoff, after his mother gave a touching speech. Simon talked about the kind of friend Geoff was. I talked about the help he would give to magicians at our seminars, the love he had for his daughter Vivvica, and the times Roth and I spent with him and his family, when he showed off his culinary talents. Peter Samuelson read some nice notes from Jamie Swiss and Steve Minch, and added his own recollections of when they worked together as computer consultants. It was nice to hear about the non magician side from his friends and family. The story that will stay with me, was a friend of his who had no knowledge of magic, but one day told Geoff he might want to learn. Geoff asked to see his hands. he said to the guy, "Good hands, no windows." The friend mentioned that all these years later, he never did find out what that meant but knows he has hands with no windows.
In the other room was a video of Geoff in his 20's, before life dealt him so many harsh blows. There he was, so full of life, doing the pass, and so many tricks from COINmagic. I believe this was the famous underground tape made for Roger Klause, that got out and distributed around the world in poor quality. This was a pristine copy, and I hope Geoff's family releases it to the magic fraternity. This is the Geoff I really remember. The thin young Geoff who dressed in black, wore really cool sunglssses, and acted like a rock star. Seeing that brought back such wonderful memories of a time long gone.
Roth, Gallo, and myself have made up tribute cards, which we are including with all the DVD purchases from our website. We already e mailed a copy to people who had purchased from us in the past. For anyone who wants a memory of Geoff, and would like a tribute card without making a purchase, just send me a self addressed stamped envelope big enough to hold a postcard (US only), and I will send one out so everyone can remember a good friend who died way before his time (address is on the website, www.newyorkcoinmagic.net .

mark

Postby mark » August 28th, 2008, 6:17 pm

I met Geoff at LVMI, where the video that Steve Draun posted was shot. He was quiet and intense, amazingly talented, but so humble. His hands were shaking during that performance, he was so nervous. It had been quite some time since he'd been that much in the public eye. While we worked one on one I didn't see any of that - he was just nervous in front of all those people. He didn't want to disappoint anyone - and he didn't. We corresponded some after that and he was more than kind in helping me. He sent me a copy of his first lecture notes (I kept bugging him for the set from the LVMI lecture and I suppose he thought the first set might chill me out.) In any case, in the years since then I have lost a brother to alcoholism at age 52. Geoff and I were the same age, and while I was not a close friend, he had a great effect on my own magic. He was a good guy, a master at magic, and I wanted to publicly thank him for his kindness. R.I.P. Geoff, say hello to Craig and my Dad, will you?

Sincerely,

Mark

Gary Michaels

Postby Gary Michaels » September 13th, 2008, 9:44 pm

Wow.

After reading all of these posts, and every thread pointed to herein, I feel like I almost knew Geoff. I started with the posts about his forthcoming book (beginning back in 2001) and read on until I'd covered everything mentioned.

Just a huge loss, and mine for not having ever seen him work (apart from the videos shared here).

In the late '70s/very early '80s, I lost a close friend who sounds a lot like Geoff. His name was Del Copley, a serious coin & card man from Columbus, OH. Del was also an alcoholic, divorced with a young daughter etc. etc. He was maybe 30 or 35 and was just beginning to make a name for himself at the early FFFFs, as another of my mentor George Kirkendall's "mentees." I believe a few of his offerings are in the "Forkful of Appetizers" books.

It's been a rough year for magicians, but few have left us in 2008 as young as Geoff was.

My thoughts and prayers, like so many here, go out to his family and friends.

Jamy Ian Swiss

Postby Jamy Ian Swiss » September 22nd, 2008, 9:09 pm

I have not commented here about Geoff, partly because I am writing something for Genii, partly because it's simply very difficult for me. I knew him well, very well, for a very long time, not only as a magician but as an intimate friend, and I would not exist as the magician I am without him. But I thank all those who have offered kind words and recollections here.

I knew Del Copley, and I'm glad to see someone mention him here. He was a good guy -- I didn't know him well, but we met at 4F, and I think I lectured in his town once back then. He was the first guy who fried me with Steve Draun's now famous glimpse. Del was a good guy, and I remember him fondly.

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » September 22nd, 2008, 11:21 pm

It's always tough losing a friend, extra tough losing a really good friend.

Return to “Buzz”