Americas Got talent

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Bill Duncan

Re: Americas Got talent

Postby Bill Duncan » June 30th, 2008, 4:10 pm

That would be someone who is in the entertainment business. I could not judge a cat show, why because I know nothing about cats.
Do you think Sharon Osbourne, Piers (don't even remember his last name) or David Hasslehoff know anything about magic or even the effect Metamorphosis.

Well, to judge a cat show youd need to learn the breed standards, something which requires time and commitment. Are you suggesting only magicians can tell if a magic act is good? If that were true wouldnt most magic acts be much, much, better than they are?

We dont generally require our audiences to study before being entertained so what course of study would you recommend for someone to judge entertainment? In a general talent competition how many judges do you need? David is singer, and Sharon certainly knows a thing or two about the music business... Would someone whos qualified to judge magic acts still be qualified to judge singers?

Personally, I think the idea of someone being qualified to judge magic acts is [censored]. Ive seen the kind of acts that qualified magic judges put forward and theyre painful to watch if youre not just in L.U.V. with dove productions and DeLights.

I really don't even understand your comment anyway. Jonathan & Charlotte are "SUPERSTARS" of magic in my opinion.

Indeed, they are. What part of my comment:
When The Pendragons appeared it was like the art had been redeemed in two minutes.

dont you understand?

Or maybe this comment was unclear?
Jonathan and Charlotte, you made my evening. Welcome Back!

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » June 30th, 2008, 6:49 pm

There are numerous presentational approaches to the Sub Trunk. I've seen a number. Jonathan and Char have worked out one that works perfectly for review-type shows. Others present differently, but as successfully, for the venues they're working.

Denny Haney did a marvelous Canvas Covered Box wearing tennis shoes and a comedic outfit, yet delivered strongly. One performer whose name I cannot recall, did his version in a circus arena in Europe that was exceedingly slow in the transfer, but looked rapid in presentation.

Many performers involve spectators as part of the presentation and some, like Jonathan and Char, do not. I saw one performer build the Canvas Covered Box on stage, each piece being examined by a committee from the audience before he screwed it together. His presentation easily took 15 minutes.

Sub Trunks have been made to look like travel trunks, packing crates, and large, round hat boxes.

Some performers have used a combination of cuffs, bag, change of costume, and a lit cigarette at the end, or nothing at all.

At one point years ago, nearly every working club date magic team in Los Angeles was doing some version of the Sub Trunk. Kirkham did used a large steamer-type trunk with chromed hardware, the tied bag, and In & Out Cuffs.

If I remember correctly, Chuck Jones did a Canvas Covered Box but I can't recall if he used a bag or not. Bill and Mary Chaudet used an unpainted Gwynne-type trunk made with unpainted plywood with four spectators holding a tent. Bill and Mary did not use a bag or cuffs or a costume change.

I asked Bill about his "bare bones" presentation (which was very strong) and he told me that he was of the opinion that in two weeks all the lay audience would remember was that he and Mary changed places quickly. Anything else would be forgotten. Since he and Mary were extremely busy and very successful working professionals, his words and experience gave his opinion authority.

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » June 30th, 2008, 8:05 pm

Ask Curtis Kam about what audiences think about costume changes during illusions. In some cases it's a very bad idea.

In the case of a quick exchange, as the Pendragons do it, I think it works. But in other illusions you may be sending the wrong message, when it does get noticed.

Mark W. Nelson

Postby Mark W. Nelson » July 1st, 2008, 12:21 pm

Chuck Jones still performs the Canvas Covered Box. For a look at a classic version performed by Mark and Nani Wilson, check out Mark Wilson's "Magic Circus" DVD, Shows 5 and 6, "Canvas Covered Packing Case Escape," which as I recall takes a good ten minutes to assemble and then perform, with audience examining each step of the effect.

Best,
Best,

Mark

Brian Morton

Postby Brian Morton » July 1st, 2008, 2:16 pm

David Alexander wrote:Denny Haney did a marvelous Canvas Covered Box wearing tennis shoes and a comedic outfit, yet delivered strongly.

Denny does the Canvas Covered Box with the bag, and with a costume change at the end where he emerges in a black-and-white jester's outfit while smoking a cigarette.

And I believe he has a ten-page as-yet-unpublished manuscript on it where he argues that there are clear and distinct differences between the "sub trunk" and the canvas covered box.

brian :cool:
Last edited by Brian Morton on July 1st, 2008, 2:17 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: speling!

Jenna Kissel

Postby Jenna Kissel » July 1st, 2008, 3:37 pm

I haven't watched the show yet, I am so mad I missed the Pendragons but I have seen a sword swallower in the commercials for it, does anyone know who it is?

Jenna Kissel

Postby Jenna Kissel » July 2nd, 2008, 9:45 am

Nevermind...

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 2nd, 2008, 12:45 pm

Jenna Kissel wrote:I haven't watched the show yet, I am so mad I missed the Pendragons but I have seen a sword swallower in the commercials for it, does anyone know who it is?

HERE is the video...

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 2nd, 2008, 12:47 pm

BTW.. the sword swallower is Dan Meyer

Magic Newswire

Postby Magic Newswire » July 2nd, 2008, 12:55 pm

I'm wondering... has anyone ever documented every magician to appear on the show America's Got Talent? I know that there are many that never make it to the point in which they are seen on screen, but....

Nicholas Carifo

Postby Nicholas Carifo » July 3rd, 2008, 11:07 pm

Charlotte Pendra wrote:
Nicholas Carifo wrote:
"they only give the acts 3 minutes.

Nick

Nick, performers are now only given 1 minute 30 seconds on stage. This presents quit a challenge to the typical act, regardless if he is a magician or other variety artists. Some type of performances are more conducive to this this timing. Magic can be, and it also offers diversity.

Charlotte,

Wow. 1 1/2 minutes to impress. That's impressive in itself when performer can not only perform a tight enough routine to fit 90 seconds, but also make it amazing and entertaining magic at the same time. I auditioned for the show during it's first season, and I had a hard time keeping to 3 minutes. Now 3 minutes seems generous. My biggest problem was being an audience participatory act, which is anything buy conducive that that environment. But I would do it again, after the experience with the right material, as you say.

Everyone is rooting for you both. Please convey our thought's to Jonathan on you both winning AGT and congrats on such a recovery from a horrible accident. Its great to see that Metamorphosis again!

Nick Carifo

Charlotte Pendra

Postby Charlotte Pendra » July 27th, 2008, 1:04 am

Jenna Kissel wrote:I haven't watched the show yet, I am so mad I missed the Pendragons but I have seen a sword swallower in the commercials for it, does anyone know who it is?

Jenna that would be Dan Meyer! He is now a good friend of ours....we met him on the set, backstage at AGT. He is phenomenal!

Return to “Buzz”