Brett Daniels Closes Show at Sahara

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Magic Newswire

Brett Daniels Closes Show at Sahara

Postby Magic Newswire » May 15th, 2008, 8:46 am

A labor dispute between Breet Daniels and the local union of stage hands has resulted in Brett Daniels decision to close his new show at the Sahara Wohscigam.

And this was the first new show that I really had hoped to see.

Complete details and links to articles at the Magic Newswire.

Robert Newman

Re: Brett Daniels Closes Show at Sahara

Postby Robert Newman » May 15th, 2008, 4:18 pm

Excerpt from a conversation overheard among three old magicians sitting on empty soda pop cases around the rusted Yoo Hoo machine at the local Flying A gas station in Gatersnap, Louisiana.

THE AMAZING ZEKE, "By cracky, those communist run unions will be the ruin of this here country, just you wait and see."

THE GREAT RAFE, " You said a mouthful there Zeke. I hear tell that this Lost Vagus fella closed his magic show when the union tried to horn in on his profits."

THE ASTOUNDING LEROY, "I guess he showed those commie b*****ds a thing er two!"

THE AMAZING ZEKE, What's that you've been ah whittlin on there Leroy?"

THE ASTOUNDING LEROY, "Well, I was a makin me a set of those newfangled Chinese stiks lika seed in an old genie magazine but those fellers are commies too, so I think I'll just use 'em for chicken roosts."

THE GREAT RAFE, "Good idea Leroy, them hens should really love those red strings a hangin from 'em. You'd better keep those chickens happy else they'll be a formin a union agin ya!"

The raucous laughter that ensued caused THE AMAZING ZEKE to swallow his plug of Days 'O' Work chewing tobacco resulting in THE ASTOUNDING LEROY having to administer the Ole Dixie Heimlich maneuver (Grabbing Zeke by the galluses of his Red Camel bib overalls and slamming him repeatedly again the Yoo Hoo machine) to prevent him from choking.
"A sound magician is a mighty god."
-Christopher Marlowe

John Signa

Postby John Signa » May 15th, 2008, 7:52 pm

Two weeks ago I saw the show with high hopes based upon articles. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed. There was some good magic, but much of it was not-great (for example, his hands became very stiff/awkward whenever he palmed something, which in a sleight-heavy show, was often, and I could see his from 2/3 of the way back in the audience). The magic and mystery were not well integrated. And, the mystery portions were too talky/repetitive with a revelation that felt more of a demonstration of "how clever I am" vs a real mystery solution.

At the end of the show, I thought I might have been disappointed as I was seeing it as a magician, so I asked the lady next to me what she thought... She proceeded to explain, quite accurately, how much was accomplished and her disappointment with the non-mystery. Her summation, "It was a mediocre show; would not recommend it."

Attendance at the show was very light. Even though the audience was seated in one section, there were lots of empty seats; each row had maybe two people in it on average. I'd be surprised if there were 50 people there, including at least 8 magicians.

Pepka

Postby Pepka » May 21st, 2008, 1:35 am

How ironic John. When I was with you in Vegas a few weeks ago remember I told you that Scott and I had time to kill and would either go see Mac, (which we've both seen before), or see Brett's show. Your EXACT words were, "You can come out here and see Mac anytime, Brett may not be around that long."

You deserve your own show on A&E.

John Signa

Postby John Signa » May 21st, 2008, 2:01 am

With two direct hits that week, my telepathetic powers were on a roll...

opie

Postby opie » May 21st, 2008, 9:34 am

I find your mental powers "remarkable", in view of your glee at a fellow magician's misfortune....Nit picking is not the best way to get the most out of life...

I saw Brett about a dozen times when he was in Tunica, and I was never disappointed in the shows.....

Folks who know me know that I am not easy to please....

opie

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 21st, 2008, 10:21 am

Opie, there's no glee in John's remarks. Don't pick a fight.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

John Signa

Postby John Signa » May 21st, 2008, 1:28 pm

Thanks, Richard.

The comment Pepka mentioned was made prior to my seeing the show and was based upon seeing magic shows come and go at the Sahara (Amazing Johnathan, Worlds Greatest Magic Show, and Steve Wyrick).

opie

Postby opie » May 21st, 2008, 2:30 pm

No ire intended nor solicited....I obviously misread something bad into what was said about a magician I admire....sorry about that....

opie

Return to “Buzz”