The Gong Show makes a comeback

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

The Gong Show makes a comeback

Postby MaxNY » May 12th, 2008, 7:33 pm

Comedy Central will be bringing back the 1970's cult classic Gong Show this July. The host will be Dave Attell, judges have not been announced yet. The premiere will be July 17th, 8 episodes have been ordered. They are looking for acts...that's all I know.

David Alexander

Re: The Gong Show makes a comeback

Postby David Alexander » May 12th, 2008, 7:40 pm

From what I've seen on YouTube they shouldn't have any shortage of applicants.

I hope they've bought an industrial strength gong. It will be getting quite a workout.

castawaydave

Postby castawaydave » May 12th, 2008, 9:16 pm

I used to despise the Gong Show when I was a kid. I have never found horrible, horrible acts funny, charming, campy, etc.
There are SOME people that should not be encouraged to get on stage, and you ALL know what I mean.

That said, I love Dave Attell, one of the funniest comedians around. (see: YouTube)

The show might be good if he is allowed leeway to use his withering sarcasm on some of the horrible, horrible acts, a la the Brittish lady on "Weakest Link". I predict some very weak links indeed.

--At least J.P. Morgan won't be on this version! Man was she scary.

Jerrine

Postby Jerrine » May 12th, 2008, 10:23 pm

Scary maybe but her version of "Happy & Peppy & Bursting with Love" was pretty good.
Those that say it can't be done have a long lineage.

Rene Clement

Postby Rene Clement » May 13th, 2008, 9:25 am

Vito Lupo once won on the Gong Show. That was probably before finally winning FISM.

Terrence

Postby Terrence » May 14th, 2008, 4:09 pm

Dave -- the icy woman you mentioned is Anne Robinson.

Imagine having to face her on Celebracadabra...

Tom Dobrowolski

Postby Tom Dobrowolski » May 14th, 2008, 5:20 pm

Jerrine wrote:Scary maybe but her version of "Happy & Peppy & Bursting with Love" was pretty good.

That's great. Just made me smile. I actually preferred the up version with the tambourine.

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » May 15th, 2008, 1:15 am

I however loved the GONG SHOW. But...what made the show fun was how Chuck really had fun with it. He was charming and truly wanted every act to do well. He was very magnanimous...he let the judges be the bad guy.

As much as I love Dave Attel...I just dont see him playing that role...one that I feel is necessary to balance the show. Chuck played the part of the host AND home audience member...I'm making a safe bet Dave is going to be sarcastic, acerbic and at times down right mean (in the guise of being comedic). But it's a different demo the show is shooting for now Im sure. Which is why if Jaye P. Morgan was on it now, she would not get fired for revealing her breasts.

God I miss good TV. Today I watched an episode of the Dick Van Dyke show on You Tube...still funny.
Comedy's Easy...Dying Sucks.

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » May 15th, 2008, 1:35 am

On a side note...if memory serves me right. On the last show where Chuck Barris sang a song as an act to show the network how he felt about them (including flipping them off)...Ballantine was a judge.

castawaydave

Postby castawaydave » May 15th, 2008, 1:41 am

I agree with Glenn about how I too miss "good" t.v.--The old "Gong Show", as "not my taste" as it may have been, was STILL better than 90% of t.v. fare today!

It did have a "good natured" vibe, and Chuck Barris was funny: perhaps the wackiest emcee for a show, ever. (I bet he would have been fun to "party" with, no?)

I just can't stand horrible, horrible acts.
--People who may start out with horrible acts, but genuinely want to improve, I can get behind...
People who will do anything, ANY-shameless-THING to get on t.v., are what I do not dig.

"I have been working on an act where I splash salad dressing on my face, breathe helium and sing 'Unchained Melody', while tap-dancing on one foot, throwing confetti from a bucket on the judges, and playing a harmonica with my nose! No, there's no point, I'll have no shot at 'winning', and I'll look like an idiot, but I'll be on the television for 15 whole seconds before I get gonged, and it will be the highlight of my family's life!!! (hyuk hyuk)"

Oy.

P.S. Glenn, how about that Laura Petry!? Man what a dish.

Glenn Farrington

Postby Glenn Farrington » May 15th, 2008, 8:05 am

castawaydave wrote:
P.S. Glenn, how about that Laura Petry!? Man what a dish.

Hmmm...I think my heart still belongs to Betty Rubble.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Postby MaxNY » May 15th, 2008, 8:27 am

I have to admit, I don't know Dave Attel...but he has been getting a lot of press lately. I bet Chuck Barris still owns full rights to the show, and would have only brought it back when he found the perfect host. He should have re-introduced the show three years ago when the movie came out.
---The show lost steam when they couldn't get good acts on. There was only so much Gene Gene you could stand. Garry Owens (Friday night host) sucked. Chuck was the show, his show had the "anything can happen" attitude. I guess as a teen, I was hoping that JP would one day let "anything happen". Jamie Farr and, Artie Johnson were always ready to have some fun. I was anticipating who the judges, as much as the acts. Steve Garvey was weak.
---I think the kaos factor was important, maybe the next "reality television", especially since today's reality, is heavily edited.....Not too sure the show will work without drugs.

Return to “Buzz”