Rudy Coby is back

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Rudy Coby

Rudy Coby is back

Postby Rudy Coby » May 7th, 2008, 2:23 am

Hi Guys!

Believe it or not, this is the real Rudy Coby.

There is an impostor online who is going to find out that just because they think the internet is anonymous that's not always the case.

Anybody who knows me that would like to verify it's me is welcome to write to confirm, but trust me this person is not who he says he is (which is obvious if you just read what he's saying)

Lawyers are getting involved as we speak.

All best,

Rudy

PS - I tried to register for whatever the Magic Cafe forums are but it wouldn't accept my email address - if someone could post this over there or have those people contact me here I would appreciate it.

PPS - I've missed all you guys but especially nice to see Mr. Maven who helped start me down this crazy path twenty years ago.

PPPS - Pete Biro 'nuff said.

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Re: Rudy Coby is back

Postby MaxNY » May 7th, 2008, 8:58 am

Ok, if this is the real Rudy Coby...tell me what talent did the no armed no legged guy at the Orange County Fair have???

naquada

Postby naquada » May 7th, 2008, 10:15 am

as far as I can tell this (that) he... :) is the real RC..

although it'll be a bizarre weird twist of fate if he's not.. (two fake Rudy Cobys!) Over the email conversations I think I'm happy he's genuine, and he's now got enough info on the 'other rudy' to shut him down...

out of interest the other site seems to be listing a lot of possibly GENII and MAGIC magazine content (I guess without permission..) people might want to check their copyright / image / name isn't being infringed on as well...
Member of The Magic Circle
www.magicconventionguide.com

John Archer

Postby John Archer » May 7th, 2008, 10:33 am

Hey Rudi

All your company came to see my show at the Edinburgh fringe in about 97 when I was just starting out full time. They were a great bunch and very encouraging. I think you had an appearance that night and sadly couldn't make it (or maybe you had read he reviews ;-). Great to hear from you. Hopefully we may see you at a convention over here in the UK sometime.

John

Rudy Coby

Postby Rudy Coby » May 7th, 2008, 10:40 am

MaxNY wrote:Ok, if this is the real Rudy Coby...tell me what talent did the no armed no legged guy at the Orange County Fair have???

He could roll cigarettes using just his mouth.

I have fond memories of Otis the Frog Boy (and Steve Drodge for that matter)

Rudy Coby

Postby Rudy Coby » May 7th, 2008, 10:43 am

John Archer wrote:Hey Rudi

All your company came to see my show at the Edinburgh fringe in about 97 when I was just starting out full time. They were a great bunch and very encouraging. I think you had an appearance that night and sadly couldn't make it (or maybe you had read he reviews ;-). Great to hear from you. Hopefully we may see you at a convention over here in the UK sometime.

John

I remember you John - your show was just one of the 5000 I missed at that Festival.

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » May 7th, 2008, 10:45 am

Correct! Welcome back, where have you been? Not a day goes by where I am thinking about what you are up to. You should see downtown, they really have been trying to fix it up. Will you be attending IBM SAM? Rumors have it that you were working for Mansion? True? You were one of the best, get back to work, we need more of you. The street stuff has past, lets get on with fun magic.

Rudy Coby

Postby Rudy Coby » May 7th, 2008, 10:51 am

Thanks, brother, for the kind words.

I've been doing more Magic than ever just not in the normal places you would see it.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 7th, 2008, 11:00 am

Rudy, are you still working with Marilyn Manson?
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Rudy Coby

Postby Rudy Coby » May 7th, 2008, 11:06 am

Richard Kaufman wrote:Rudy, are you still working with Marilyn Manson?

he's my new roommate

just got off a world tour with him for the past year

Rudy Coby

Postby Rudy Coby » May 7th, 2008, 12:05 pm

By the way it was really great seeing you in China last year - even having to go to the hospital twice like you had to.

New Yorkers don't die that easy.

Tomas Blomberg

Postby Tomas Blomberg » May 7th, 2008, 12:08 pm

Was great seeing you at Magic Weekend here in Sweden many many years ago.

Here's what happens when you tour and don't have time to renew ownership of domains:

REMOVED BY RK AT THE REAL RUDY'S REQUEST

/Tomas
Last edited by Tomas Blomberg on May 7th, 2008, 12:45 pm, edited 0 times in total.
Reason: link removed

Rudy Coby

Postby Rudy Coby » May 7th, 2008, 12:14 pm

i know

could you please take that link down it's kind of the whole point i'm here

Sweden was really fantastic

i promise i will come back there if you take that link down from your post

joshua barrett

Postby joshua barrett » May 7th, 2008, 12:36 pm

When i was younger (im 26) i saw a rudy coby special on fox. I taped it and watched it over and over all the time.

it really got me into magic as a spectator, i never knew a magic method or performed a trick for prolly another 15 years ( not sure how long ago it was ) but after that i was always very enthusiastic to watch a magic show

naquada

Postby naquada » May 7th, 2008, 12:41 pm

these comments are exactly why we need to help get to the bottom of the faked site... if you have a link to it on your blog, website, message board or anything, remove it.. we don't need to provide the faker with additional traffic.. if you see the faker pop up, or listed on another site... ask they remove the post and ban the user (the fake one.. not the real one ;) )

if you run a message board and the fake poster posted.. grab the IP address of the poster and pass it onto Rudy..

dont visit the website, starve it of traffic and help one of our own..
Member of The Magic Circle

www.magicconventionguide.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 7th, 2008, 1:12 pm

Rudy, how could he be your room mate? I thought he's married?

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » May 7th, 2008, 1:57 pm

Rudy you were always one of my favorite acts. I idolized you as a kid and wanted to tour the world the way you did. I have your lecture notes and think they are the best lecture notes ever. You were one of the reasons I always wanted to compete at the Desert Magic Seminar. As a huge fan I have to say I am so glad your back in the magic world and I for one missed you. Will you be doing your act again?

Tomas Blomberg

Postby Tomas Blomberg » May 7th, 2008, 2:58 pm

Rudy Coby wrote:i know

could you please take that link down it's kind of the whole point i'm here

Sweden was really fantastic

i promise i will come back there if you take that link down from your post

Damn, Richard beat me to it. Will you still come back?

Sorry about that, and thanks to Richard for acting that fast.

Take care,

/Tomas

Mark W. Nelson

Postby Mark W. Nelson » May 7th, 2008, 3:07 pm

Dear Rudy:

You've been missed on the West Coast too. Would love to see you at the Magic Castle again, even just hanging out. Let us know if and when you are going to be anywhere near LA and what's been up with you.

Best always,
Best,

Mark

Rudy Coby

Postby Rudy Coby » May 7th, 2008, 3:34 pm

he is very divorced

Rudy Coby

Postby Rudy Coby » May 7th, 2008, 3:49 pm

CHRIS wrote:Rudy you were always one of my favorite acts. I idolized you as a kid and wanted to tour the world the way you did. I have your lecture notes and think they are the best lecture notes ever. You were one of the reasons I always wanted to compete at the Desert Magic Seminar. As a huge fan I have to say I am so glad your back in the magic world and I for one missed you. Will you be doing your act again?

Thanks, Chris, for the kind words.

Glad you enjoyed the lecture notes - if you liked that you would love the material I have saved up when I get the chance to do it again.

I'm not quite back in the Magic World but I have genuinely missed so many of my friends that even if the reason I'm popping my head up is to correct a bad situation it's fun to see familiar names again.

I haven't really stopped doing my act - I've just been doing it in a different way with very different collaborators. I have tons of new material but it's actually fun to see Labman having a new underground fanbase growing from the internet.

I've actually been pulling out the show you know in various parts getting it ready for a tour or something - the demand has always been there because the act is strong but I went through a period where it wasn't fun for me anymore that's too complex to detail here.

It's fun being Labman again now.

And, yes, I still have the hair to do it.

Rudy Coby

Postby Rudy Coby » May 7th, 2008, 3:51 pm

I'll still come back Tomas.

I used to have a lot of fun doing Magic conventions when I had the chance.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 7th, 2008, 4:00 pm

I can vouch for the fact that Rudy has the hair, and I've very bummed about the fact that I was not able to watch his performance when were in Shenzhen, China because I was sick.

Labman rocks!

Rudy Coby

Postby Rudy Coby » May 7th, 2008, 4:21 pm

Mark W. Nelson wrote:Dear Rudy:
You've been missed on the West Coast too. Would love to see you at the Magic Castle again, even just hanging out. Let us know if and when you are going to be anywhere near LA and what's been up with you.

Hi Mark!

I've missed you guys too.

I actually moved into a new house a month ago a couple of blocks up the hill from the Magic Castle.

I never really thought I would do another show there - (not for any bad reasons it's where I worked out all my material) - but walking by it every morning while exercising is making me want to be on that stage again I have to admit.

I'll definitely be visiting at least.

Rudy Coby

Postby Rudy Coby » May 7th, 2008, 4:24 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:I can vouch for the fact that Rudy has the hair, and I've very bummed about the fact that I was not able to watch his performance when were in Shenzhen, China because I was sick.

Labman rocks!

I'm very happy to report that we both have our hair.

Our immune system in China on the other hand...

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » May 7th, 2008, 5:06 pm

Rudy,

We also met in Edinburgh in 97 - although you missed my show as well :) You did let myself and a friend come along to your show, however, and it was every bit as great as I had expected.

I was surprised at your 'appearance' a couple of months ago; it's good to know it's the real you.

Take care, Ian

Edit: actually, I think it was 98 you were in the Fringe?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 7th, 2008, 5:22 pm

Rudy has more hair than me. And since he's much taller, he should have noticed that.

Pepka

Postby Pepka » May 7th, 2008, 5:34 pm

This is a glorious day for magic. Welcome back Rudy!

Frank Valenti

Postby Frank Valenti » May 7th, 2008, 7:00 pm

Long Live Labman! Welcome back Rudy. I still have the poster you signed for me hanging on my wall in my office.

RogueMD

Postby RogueMD » May 7th, 2008, 8:24 pm

Great to see such a tremendous talent "back in the fold" so to speak!
One of the two best memories I have of my membership at the Magic Castle was being selected to "assist" Rudy Coby on-stage during one of his performances...I laughed so hard my eyes were tearing...so impressive!
What talent.
Thank you for that, Rudy.
Michael

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » May 7th, 2008, 10:45 pm

I want to hear about rooming with that creepy MM dude? Also there is a "Labman" comicbook on Ebay right now with a $2.99 Buy It Now Price...

Rudy Coby

Postby Rudy Coby » May 8th, 2008, 1:46 am

It's like 'Leave It To Beaver' but with real cleavers.

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » May 8th, 2008, 5:30 am

It's really great to hear from you, Rudy.

We corresponded on the old GeMiNi board, especially about George Carl and his importance to you.

You've got one of the finest set of lecture notes I've ever read about how to succeeed in show business -- something every prospective professional should read.

And, yes, I've kept my Labman comic all these years.

It's really great to have you around again. Best of luck.

Matt Field

Piperdudeus

Postby Piperdudeus » May 8th, 2008, 5:33 am

Here's a test, this will prove to me without a doubt as to whether you really are Rudy.
What was the bagpipers name who played the opening shows for you (and others) the last time you played the Orange county fair (NY not CA) back in 1987?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » May 8th, 2008, 1:01 pm

YO my man... hey, let me know and will BOOK YOU for the WMS convention next Feb. 22 in Las Vegas. (the convention that started it all for us)!

How about joining me for lunch tomorrow (Friday) at the Castle? Just after the 12:30 close up show, find me at table 29!
Stay tooned.

MagicBilly

Postby MagicBilly » May 8th, 2008, 5:39 pm

Hi Rudy,

You don't know me from Adam, but I know of you and I wanted to give you my standing-O after re-aquainting myself, thanks to youtube, with your talents. WOW, WOW, WOW. I'm sorry for the circumstances that had you post here in the first place but wanted to tell you that it's performers like you that keep me passionate for magic.

For me, I can count on one hand magi who demonstrate such creativity, carry a potent stage presence and uncanny ability to create such a brilliant entertainment experience. You are one of those digits.

It's apparent after reading this thread that you are blessed with great friends and supporters.

Bill
Act Happy, Feel Happy, Be Happy with no reason in the World (D. Millman)

Rudy Coby

Postby Rudy Coby » May 8th, 2008, 7:26 pm

Thanks for the kind words all - it is really appreciated more than I can say.

Sorry I missed your invitation for lunch, Pete, but I never got to bed last night so you probably dodged a bullet on that.

Doing a Magic Convention right now sounds like so much fun - I wouldn't trade my life right now for anything but I've got so much great stuff for a new lecture that I'm bursting. I really believe that I've hit a new stride in developing original visual material because I've been forced to do it in fast company under incredible pressure - the process I've honed is endlessly rewarding.

Plus, putting on the white labcoat again is a thrill - it would be fun to play again on home territory. And, since the act was never intended to be trendy it still gets the same reaction it always did.

WMS sounds great but it's hard to commit to this far ahead because there are so many projects in the pipeline. Right now I'm working twenty four seven but because my main collaborator is working on material for a new album here in the home studio I know that I can slip away for short gigs over the next few months. After that are more potential tours and a movie project already sold so committing a year in advance is tough - unless there's some sort of out clause but then you end up disappointing people anyway.

But, yeah, I'm excited just to be around you guys again - something like WMS would be icing on the cake!

All best,

Rudy

PS - Here's a funny aside about all of this - for some reason I could NEVER get booked for an SAM Convention when I was doing all this stuff. I tried a couple of times because my hometown magic club was an SAM meeting and I always wanted to do it just to see a few faces from my childhood, but I always hit a brick wall with the people booking the talent. Every other convention but not the one I dreamed of performing at ever since I was a little kid - weird how this comes to mind but it was just odd.

Piperdudeus

Postby Piperdudeus » May 8th, 2008, 7:34 pm

Rudy, did you remember the Piper?

Rudy Coby

Postby Rudy Coby » May 8th, 2008, 7:36 pm

Piperdudeus wrote:Here's a test, this will prove to me without a doubt as to whether you really are Rudy.
What was the bagpipers name who played the opening shows for you (and others) the last time you played the Orange county fair (NY not CA) back in 1987?

You know, I can't remember the names of some family members from 1987 - so maybe I'm not really Rudy.

But the show was with Tony Molesworth, Jeff McBride, Michael Marlin, etc, and it was the stage next to the German Beer Garden starring polka legend Jimmy Sturr (who used to go out with my mother so you can imagine the act I could have had)

Piperdudeus

Postby Piperdudeus » May 8th, 2008, 7:46 pm

It's Joe Burns, how the heck are you Rudy? How's Denise? Believe it or not I sometimes play the pipes for Jimmy and the orchestra. small world.
I'm still in Goshen, have a bunch of Daughters and one son, work as a nursing supervisor and see Glen about once every one to two years (you remember Macken?).

Return to “Buzz”