Eric DeCamps Pure Magic – A Performance of Contemp

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Eric DeCamps

Eric DeCamps Pure Magic – A Performance of Contemp

Postby Eric DeCamps » April 1st, 2008, 4:58 pm

After the success of the parlor show, An Evening of Intimate Magic with Eric DeCamps at the Lincoln Room in Rockefeller Center, I am pleased to announce a new production directed by Bob Fitch, Eric DeCamps Pure Magic A Performance of Contemporary Conjuring.

The performances will be at the elegant Metropolitan Room, located at 34 West 22nd Street in New York City. The ambiance of the Metropolitan Room is that of an intimate and stylish 1940s jazz club. New York Magazine chose it as the citys Best Cabaret for 2008.

The show opens May 3, 2008 and will be repeated every Saturday evening through the end of June. Please join me at one of the performances.

For reservations and more information: Eric DeCamps Pure Magic - A Performance of Contemporary Conjuring

MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Re: Eric DeCamps Pure Magic – A Performance of Contemp

Postby MaxNY » April 1st, 2008, 8:32 pm

Went to the website, how'd ya chop off your thumb?

Arthur Martello

Postby Arthur Martello » April 2nd, 2008, 7:27 am

If I could only "conjure" up the strength to travel 3 hours from the Catskill Mountains to the wild and wicked streets of NY City....Hope it's a rousing success.

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » April 27th, 2008, 10:10 am

[size:11pt][font:Book Antiqua]Just a reminder that my new show, Eric DeCamps - A Performance of Contemporary Conjuring, opens next Saturday night May 3 at the stylish Metropolitan Room in NYC.

The show directed by Bob Fitch is a limited engagement and will be repeated every Saturday night till the end of June.

Tickets can be purchased by calling the Metropolitan Room (212 206 0440) or online at their website metropolitanroom.com. For more information about the show, please go to my website ericdecamps.com.

Here is what a few of the reviewers said about my last show:

Eric DeCamps is a master of sleight-of-hand, and his show, one of the best you'll see of this kind of magic,is entertaining from start to finish."
Richmond Shepard
Performing Arts INSIDER

Eric DeCamps besides being an excellent sleight of hand artist, is debonair and appealing to a sophisticated palette. A beautifully paced show that delivers all that it promises.
Ryan Oakes
Magic Magazine

Eric DeCamps enchanted us with majestic stories and kept us laughing with his quick wit. Even in this rough and tumble city, it turns out all it takes is a little magic to turn even the most hardened New Yorker into a kid again.
Jane Marie
Glamourite

"Eric DeCamps establishes himself as a gentleman who could casually cause the impossible to happen and happen often. Visitors to the Big Apple are fortunate to have one of the finest practitioners of the art of magic in a public setting.
Tom Gaudette
M-U-M Magazine
[/font][/size]

[size:14pt]METROPOLITAN ROOM[/size]
[size:11pt] 34 West 22nd Street
New York, NY 10010
(Between 5th & 6th Ave.)
Tel: 212 206 0440[/size]
metropolitanroom.com

Grant McSorley

Postby Grant McSorley » May 2nd, 2008, 4:29 pm

I saw Eric's last show and it was great, he has a great performance style and ridiculous chops. A lot of magic I see leaves me depressed at what can pass for a professional performance, but seeing a show like Eric's reminds me why I love magic. If you get a chance, you should really check it out.

Grant

JustinRYoung

Postby JustinRYoung » May 4th, 2008, 9:06 pm

Got an email from the man himself today and he said the first show went swimingly! I hope this show kills!
Magic News, Rumors and Culture -iTricks.com

cataquet

Postby cataquet » May 5th, 2008, 5:05 pm

Grant and Justin gave you the summary, here are the details.

The show opened on May 3 and will be running every Saturday evening through (at least) the end of June. I was fortunate enough to be able to attend.

First, let me get the bad news out of the way. The show starts at midnight, and the show lasts around 90 minutes, so if you don't live on Manhattan, you'll have to be aware that you'll be leaving the venue at about 1:30AM. The transportation logistics may mean that some of you won't be able to travel using public transportation. But if a bunch of you travel in and back as a group, driving in or hiring a car might be economically viable. There is plently of parking available in the surrounding area... The other bad news is that the place has a $15 cover. A single cocktail is $13.50, so count on two drinks, and with tax we're at $30 before the tip. However, that being said, this isn't very different from any jazz or comedy club in the city.

As for the ticket prices, it is a steal! You are paying $25 for a 90 minute show. You would have to pay five times that to see a Broadway show! I decided to order my tickets online, and I had to pay a $4.34 handling fee. You then get to print out your ticket. The guy at the door looked at the ticket strangely, so I assume most people buy the tickets at the door. However, as they say, if you want to avoid disappointment, book in advance.

OK that was the bad news, but all the rest is good... I missed Eric's previous show (Intimate Magic) so for those of you who attended that, I can't make a direct comparative comment. However, I can tell you that this show is about 25 minutes shorter. The savings in time is down to tighter scripting (thanks to Eric's work with Bob Fitch), and Eric's decision to remove the cups and balls from the act.

I really like the venue. The room is about four times wider than it is long, and the seating falls into two categories: booths along the back walls and sides, and small square tables filling in the rest of the floor space. The atmosphere is very intimate, and the lighting is incredibly effective. In fact, other than a few color changes, I didn't even notice that the lighting was being modified. However, those that had seen Eric's previous show kept mentioning how the lights emphasised certain props and how it created a perfect atmosphere for Eric's magic. Moreover, the lighting director said this was the first time he had seen the lighting directions, and he is positive he can make the lighting and music better in the future. So it's going to get better (not that there was anything wrong other than one missed music cue)... Magic is a new direction for this venue, so you should support the art by going to see Eric's show!

Eric has divided the show into three acts. I won't detail the act, as I don't want to ruin any surprises, but I will mention my favorites items from each act. From Act I, it's "Transmigration" - Eric's streamlined handling of John Ramsay's Triple Restoration. From Act 2, it's "Bread Crumbs" - Eric's handling of Rene Levant's Bread Crumb trick. From Act 3, it's a toss up between "Pocket Mystery" - Eric's legendary egg bag routine - and "Spirit Box" - Eric's handling of Dean's Box. Actually, those two routines made up Act 3.

Eric's magic is incredibly strong. It looks like what magic would look like if magic were real... This was opening night, and other members of the audience who had seen Eric's previous show at Lincoln Center commented how relaxed he seemed. To me, it felt like he was performing for a bunch of friends, rather than an unknown audience. I suspect this result is a combination of the atmosphere created by the venue, Bob Fitch's direction, Eric's evolution as a performer, and maybe the small numbers on opening night.

It wasn't a full house on opening night, and I had expected that it would be sold out. But, then again, I think that the timing (a 90 minute show at midnight) will put off many.

I am sick and tired of watching bad magic. This show is an opportunity to see a real master at work. Go see it!

raj k

Postby raj k » May 5th, 2008, 7:18 pm

cataquet wrote:I am sick and tired of watching bad magic. This show is an opportunity to see a real master at work. Go see it!

Others feel this way too!? Awesome. I had the opportunity to see Mr. De Camps perform his "spirit box" routine at a convention in Texas 2006. He delivered a masterful presentation that exemplifies artistry in magic and has been one of the very few performances that have stayed with me over the years. I imagine his show has only offered improvements since last I saw this snippet.

Mr. De Camps, any chance you could bring your act to the West Coast? San Francisco perhaps....? I'm starving for quality magic....

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » May 7th, 2008, 1:29 am

Hi Raj:

I'm glad you enjoyed the Spirit Box presentation.

I'd also love to bring the show to San Francisco. Any recommendations in regards to a venue?

Eric DeCamps

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » May 7th, 2008, 1:51 am

Hi Eric,

If you make it out to the LA area, you might want to look at the Actors Forum Theatre in North Hollywood. It's a small studio theater (about 50 seats) with raked seating; perfect for close-up magic. John Carney did his show there (you might want to contact him about it).

I can guarantee at least five seats sold just for my little group!

Best,
Dustin

raj k

Postby raj k » May 7th, 2008, 2:45 pm

Mr. DeCamps,
I'll email you privately at your aol addy.

-RK

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » June 5th, 2008, 9:06 pm

[size:14pt][font:Book Antiqua]Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to remind you all that there are only four more performances left of Eric DeCamps PURE MAGIC, A Performance of Contemporary Conjuring.

Personally, this has truly been an amazing experience for me. I have been fortunate to work with a brilliant director in Bob Fitch. The Metropolitan Room is a wonderful venue and the staff is first class. Finally, I have had so much fun with my audiences during the run that I do not have the right words to describe it.

If you havent made it to a performance, I hope you can join me. If you have already seen the show, come again or better yet tell your friends and share the magic!

Best,

Eric DeCamps

The performances run Saturday nights till June 28 at the Metropolitan Room located at 34 West 22nd Street in NYC. For reservations and tickets please call 212 206 0440 or go online to metropolitan room.

For more information about Eric DeCamps - PURE MAGIC, A Performance of Contemporary Conjuring please go to ericdecamps.com

[/font][/size]

Tom Klem

Postby Tom Klem » June 9th, 2008, 1:48 pm

Eric:

It is funny you calling me the thanking me for coming to your June 7th performance at the Metropolitan Room this past Saturday.

It is me who should thank you.

This performance with many of the same elements of you last show was very different.

In both you mastery of actual manipulation and the acting to make such actions seem very natural was at the highest level.

In this show you were yourself more outgoing and a better presence as an entertainer.

The staging and lighting of you and your effects were light years better.

You last performance was what a magician dreams as his show would be.

This show was what an audience dreams and entertainer to perform.

It was terrific.

Best,

Tom Klem

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » June 23rd, 2008, 6:43 pm

[font:Book Antiqua][size:14pt]Hi Everyone!

I just wanted to thank everyone from the Genii Forum for their support with this show. We have been fortunate not only to have Genii Forum members from the tri-state area but also from around the country and abroad. It has been great seeing old friends and making new ones.

As a reminder, this Saturday June 28th is the last performance of Eric DeCamps PURE MAGIC, A Performance of Contemporary Conjuring at the Metropolitan Room located at 34 West 22nd Street in NYC.

Again, if you havent been able to make a performance, this is your last chance to join me. If you have already seen the show, come again bring a friend and enjoy the magic through their eyes.

For reservations and tickets please call 212 206 0440 or go online to metropolitan room .

For more information about Eric DeCamps - PURE MAGIC, A Performance of Contemporary Conjuring please go to ericdecamps.com

Best,

Eric DeCamps
[/size][/font]

David Corsaro

Postby David Corsaro » June 30th, 2008, 8:59 am

I was lucky enough to catch Eric's final performance of his show "Pure Magic" and it was excellent.

Eric presents visually and intellectually appealing magic in an intimate setting. Each effect that he does blends perfectly into the next (so that you don't have the feeling of individual "tricks" but rather a full performance.)

My personal favorites are Eric's version of the Egg Bag and his Spirit Box.

If Eric continues this show at a later date or venue, make sure you catch it !

David Corsaro
My new DVD ("Magic of David Corsaro") is available from your favorite dealer www.davidcorsaro.com

John Born

Postby John Born » June 30th, 2008, 5:18 pm

I returned from Europe just in time to catch his final performance. All I can say is WOW - if you have the chance to catch his next run, don't miss it!

In fact, bring your friends. I know I will.

John B. Born
www.JohnBorn.com
www.CheatingAtTexasHoldem.com

Return to “Buzz”