Magic commercials wanted

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
MaxNY
Favorite Magician: Jeff McBride

Magic commercials wanted

Postby MaxNY » June 28th, 2004, 6:19 am

I am closing in on a DVD of Magicians and Magic on television commercials. I still need Cingular aired two years ago, Sig and Roy Cookies Plus; and any other Sig and Roy did. Also, can anyone remember what Magic History Special, aired the Rocco De-light spot? Anything else you might add?

Kevin Connolly

Re: Magic commercials wanted

Postby Kevin Connolly » June 28th, 2004, 6:38 am

John Scarne in Schaefer beer ads in the early 70's.

Marshall Brodien Svengali cards aka TV Magic Cards, early 70's.

Good Luck,
Kevin
Please visit my website.
http://houdinihimself.com/
I buy,sell + trade Houdini, Hardeen items.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » June 28th, 2004, 6:44 am

If I remember correctly Penn & Teller did a computer commercial in the past year or two. I don't remember which company it was (I want to say Dell, but I'm not sure), but it was the one where they had all sorts of performers, athletes, etc. "on call" inside the computer.

-Jim

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 28th, 2004, 8:59 am

I have no idea what it was or who it was done for, but P&T were seen (by me on night walking the dog) in front of a neighbor's house, with a huge film crew filming a commercial that had a Halloween setting.
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 28th, 2004, 9:01 am

MaxNY: Just out of curiousity... don't you need the RIGHTS to put commercially produced material on a DVD (or any other form of recording material)???? :confused:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » June 28th, 2004, 11:31 am

There was a radio station that is called Magic that used card magic in a commercial a number of years ago, they are in Chicago. I remember this because Mark Berringer was the magician and he passed away last year (two years ago?) at too young of an age.
Steve V

Postby Guest » June 28th, 2004, 8:52 pm

Last year Kreskin did a commercial for_____?
Years ago Uri Geller for Dryer's Ice Cream.
Late 60's or early 70's-Blackstone, Jr. for Jiffy Pop Popcorn.(with tricks in specially marked packages)

Postby Guest » June 28th, 2004, 10:30 pm

Didn't John Carney do a Master Card or Visa or

bank card commercial a few years ago ? Also I

have a very bad copy of Magic Moments , I believe

HBO many years ago. It was given to me out of a

collection why I don't know as I didn't have

cable then , Ballentine for Greyhound....Mike

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » June 28th, 2004, 10:42 pm

I too remember Carney doing an ad for one of the major credit cards. It featured some visual changes.

Dustin

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » June 29th, 2004, 6:41 am

Jim- P&T for HP, got it. Also have P&T for Pizza Hut.
---Kevin, Who may be sitting on Scarne's stuff? Any relatives you may help be contact?
---Pete, not in this for money, just trying to preserve this art of ours. Shake my hand in August, and I may slip you a copy.
---Mike, I have most HBO magic specials from the 70's and 80's in perfect condition,and on DVD, but what was "Magic Moments"? I've got an "in" at HBO, might be able to dig this up for me.
---Kreskin did a NJ lotto commercial last year, got it! Also have Kreskin doing a candy Roche. The best Kreskin, (and I don't have it),he was trying to beat the PBS drum...Looks down the barrel, and trys to hypnotise the public into donating money!
---Working on Hassini to release some Burger King Commercials.
---It hasn't been confirmed yet, but a certain summer convention is looking to show them prior to a lecture.
---I've got three or four guys with credit-cards.

Jim Maloney_dup1

Postby Jim Maloney_dup1 » June 29th, 2004, 6:48 am

Didn't Johnathan Levitt do a car commercial?

Also, David Roth's done some hand modeling...how good are you at identifying hands? ;) If I remember correctly, he's done some work for Burger King.

-Jim

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » June 29th, 2004, 7:15 am

Who did the 'Incredible Edible Egg' commercial?

Did the thing ever get written up?
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » June 29th, 2004, 8:38 am

Max,

I'm sure Scarne still has family around the Bergen county area, as his business was still in the telephone book till about 10 years ago.

Have you tried the Radio and Television museum in NY? The only drawback is that you can't make copies.

Clay Shevlin reminds me that Bill McIlhany is the guy you should contact. I would guess he has the largest collection of magic on tape, film etc. Not to mention he's one of the nicest and decent guys in magic.

Hope this helps you.

Good Luck,
Kevin
Please visit my website.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » June 29th, 2004, 8:50 am

Originally posted by Kevin Connolly:
I'm sure Scarne still has family around the Bergen county area, as his business was still in the telephone book till about 10 years ago.
Karl Fulves regularly has info on Scarne, from his widow, in his current magazine (The Fine Print or one of its companions).

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » June 29th, 2004, 9:08 am

Scott cervine is in a current commercial where he pulls the table cloth out from under the dishes. I don't recall the client, a bank maybe?
Stay tooned.

Kevin Williams

Postby Kevin Williams » June 29th, 2004, 9:18 am

Ken Klosterman did some local commercials for a savings & loan or bank.

Kevin

David Regal

Postby David Regal » June 29th, 2004, 10:21 am

Bruce Cervon did a long single-shot commercial featuring card manipulations that is excellent.

Kevin Connolly

Postby Kevin Connolly » June 29th, 2004, 10:45 am

Mark Wilson did work for Ocean Spray. I think that was in the late 70's - early 80's.

Amazing how much non-Houdini I remember! :D

Keep me in mind if you come across Houdini material for my research/collection. ;)

Good Luck,
Kevin
Please visit my website.

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » June 29th, 2004, 12:28 pm

Hey Max:

I did a few national spots awhile back. The first was for the Discover Card that was done in the late 1980's. Novus had just purchased the Discover Card from Sears and mounted a large campaign to promote the card. They filmed four or five different spots and rotated the spots. The spots were scheduled for a total six week run but the one that I was involved with was so well received it was extended and ran for six months. I have master copies of three or four versions of my commercial that aired.

Several years later the same ad agency contracted me to film another commercial for S.O.S. soap pads. However the campaign was cancelled and the commercial unfortunately never aired.

Let me know if you are interested in the Discover Card commercial for the collection.

Best,

Eric DeCamps

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » June 29th, 2004, 9:44 pm

Eric, Yes Yes Yes! I remember the spot. We will have to meet for dinner.
---Egg, I think I remember David Roth telling me that was two people. I restored this spot for Grey Advertising, and be damned if I can locate it!! I know I have it somewhere.
---Blackstone Jr. had a spot selling his Magic set...got it from the Edited master!
---Other goodies, Maggie the Magician with a saggy diaper that leaks! Houdini the magician also with a leaky diaper.
---M&M's claymation.
---Miller Beer by "Dick" , creepy guy makes girl's underarm hair grow.
---East Pac or Miller ran this Indy directed thing called carni-head. It was POV from just a "head" at a geek tent. People passing the dude,err head around and stuff.
---So much, yet so little.
---I'll take the table cloth bit, any help?

Nicholas Carifo

Postby Nicholas Carifo » June 30th, 2004, 2:16 am

Hi Max,

I did a regional commercial for a department store chain with a magic theme producing products from a hat in tongue-in-cheek fashion. If I can find my copy of it I can dub it for ya.

Also look for:

----The currently airing "CrazyTown" Anti-Smoking PSA with a carny-illusionist making a mom disappearing "like cigarettes do every year"

----Micheal Grandinetti's hands doing magic with the new $20 bill for a US Treasury PSA that aired a while last year.

----And I believe Paul Gerter had some ad's in the past, but someone else on the board may remember which ones, or may have them taped.

----Look for the national "Oreo... Unlock the Magic" commercials that went with the national magician prpomotion in the early 90's.

----Look for the Chef Boyardee ads that went with the national magic live promotions between 1998-2002.

----Smirnoff is running cool looking magic themed ads in print currently. One was on the back of the swimsuit issue of Sports Illustrated, tho that prob wont help you.

Postby Guest » June 30th, 2004, 5:17 am

I seem to recall hearing that the "Incredible, edible egg" commercial was the work of Jim Steinmeyer. Can't verify this.

Pete

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » June 30th, 2004, 7:14 am

I dub most of the "Crazy Town's", but can't remember that one.
---The introduction of the new bill, would be cool, any help out there ???

Paul Green

Postby Paul Green » June 30th, 2004, 7:39 am

Dick Zimmerman did a commercial for M & M's.

Good luck in your search!

Regards,

Paul Green

James
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby James » June 30th, 2004, 8:29 am

> what was "Magic Moments"? I've got an "in" at HBO, might be
> able to dig this up for me.

Max...

Magic Moments were short (one to three minute) video clips that featured individual magicians. They were shown throughout the day on HBO.

Soemone from HBO had attended one of the Desert Magic Seminars and they filmed pretty much the cream of the crop of close up magicians that were there (I believe this was during the seminar they had the Close-up contest). Maybe sometime in the late 80s or early 90s.

I remember seeing Michael Webber's and Bob Read's Magic Moments but know there were about 8 or so others filmed. This would be great if you could get it.

Good luck. And if you do get it -- e-mail me as I would love to see it.

Take care,

J

JFox

Postby JFox » June 30th, 2004, 8:54 am

I have a 3/4" video of two BUDGET GOURMET ads from the 1990s(?)....that featured a cartoon HOUDINI hanging upside-down in a straitjacket & chains; and in a packing box.

On another note, "The Amazing Randi" was spoofed in a "Mad Libs" during the 1960's.

ChastainCriswell

Postby ChastainCriswell » June 30th, 2004, 9:26 am

Don't know if it is too late or too early but I will have an online commercial that if I get enopuhg votes it will become a National TV commercial. :) So VOTE!!
Engima

Jeffrey Cowan
Favorite Magician: Bob Kohler & Tim Conover

Postby Jeffrey Cowan » June 30th, 2004, 10:03 am

I seem to recall a beer commercial (Schlitz? Miller?) from the 1970s that featured Charlie Schulien doing a color change behind the bar.

There also was an "incredible edible egg" spot that featured a magician's hands producing an egg.

By the way, Pete Biro is dead on. Aside from collecting these spots, you'll need to negotiate a license to use them if you want to avoid nasty lawyer letters and/or a summons and complaint.
-- Jeffrey Cowan
www.cowan-law.com

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » June 30th, 2004, 9:50 pm

Lawers Schmawers, just collecting some fun. It's free advertising. I ain't making no money from this.
---J. I'll take the 3/4's. and mail you a compilation in return...

Nicholas Carifo

Postby Nicholas Carifo » June 30th, 2004, 11:58 pm

Doug Henning for an Airline and David Copperfield for Kodak Instamatic cameras.

Max, it would be a find if someone still has these on tape but Doug Henning was a spokeman for an airline in the late 1980's and ran several commercials, including one I vividly remember with him "floating" down in to the passenger seat inside the jet. Anyone remember the airline or may have it taped?

Also... David Copperfiled, in teh mid-1980's was a tv spokesman for KODAK and did commercials for the Kodak Instamatic Camera, I beleive the one that Kodak eventually pulled off the market after losing a lawsuit to Polaroid on the camera design. I'd love to see these ad's sometime.

Some may even remember the "product placement" of the camera -- by brand name -- in one of Davids specials performing the card in instant photo trick with the two kids circa 1985 I think.

Nicholas Carifo

PS.. this is a fun topic, id love to see this compilation, let us know what convention.

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » July 1st, 2004, 6:03 am

I've got Henning doing a minivan spot...somewhere...but I can't find it. Did'nt this air during one of his specials? I searched most of my Henning specials, but by now I've had them restored thru a million dollar BBC machine, and eliminated the commercials, but ? I remember having it somewhere. Gotta check the Masters. And, yes now that you mention it, I also have Henning for the Airline, but I don't remember him flying around the cabin.
---For years I've wanted to pull this all together, and most of my collection is now listed on my computer, so the first 30 spots were easy to locate, but there is still some stuff hidden. "13" expressed interest, but if you guys keep chattering about legality, they may pull back.

Postby Guest » July 1st, 2004, 1:15 pm

----The currently airing "CrazyTown" Anti-Smoking PSA with a carny-illusionist making a mom disappearing "like cigarettes do every year"

That's Derek Hughes in that spot.

Russell Davis
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Russell Davis » July 2nd, 2004, 8:48 am

Brian Gillis did a spot many years ago for (maybe) the California Artichoke Growers or some such group.

Christopher Starr

Postby Christopher Starr » July 7th, 2004, 6:36 am

Originally posted by MaxNY:
I've got Henning doing a minivan spot...somewhere...but I can't find it. ...
I believe it was for the Dodge Caravan. Henning also did print ads for it, which featured multiple images of Doug sitting and posing in several postions in and around the van.

-CS

Steve Hook

Postby Steve Hook » July 7th, 2004, 2:10 pm

Originally posted by Christopher Starr:
I believe it was for the Dodge Caravan. Henning also did print ads for it, which featured multiple images of Doug sitting and posing in several postions in and around the van.

-CS
Yes, I have that ad in a Reader's Digest. Brings back memories...

Steve Hook

Nicholas Carifo

Postby Nicholas Carifo » July 7th, 2004, 2:59 pm

Yes, the Dodge Caravan, and particularly it's sister the Plymouth Voyager were promoted by Doug Henning in commercials.

Incidently, these were the very first mini-vans ever produced and invented by chrysler and The Plymouth Voyager was marketed and sold dubbed as "THE MAGIC WAGON". They even came with a window decal on the hatch back with the words "The Magic Wagon". I remember it vividly as a kid seeing one of my favorite magicians, Travis Green, perform a promotional illusion show at a car dealer to introduce the Magic Wagon to the public and vanishing and reappearing inside the locked vehicle.

Incidently, due to the name, I bugged my mom to make that our next car to truck my magic props around to birthday parties:) And two years later... we bought one:) hehe.

MaxNY

Postby MaxNY » July 8th, 2004, 4:36 am

Hey Nick, who'z the guy from Burbank (or Hollywood) that made this week's National Enquirer? Justin Willman or (Justin Kredible) is shown on page 13 floating his girlfriend Nicholle Tom...Is this guy for real?

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2004, 6:00 pm

Max,

I have a copy of the master from HBO of ALL the HBO "Magic Moments". They were hosted by Dick Cavett, who is an amatueer magician himself. The thing about them, in fact Cavett's tag line, was keep watching, you never know when you might see a "Magic Moment!" they were not scheduled, so it was catch as catch can as far as taping them, so few people have all of them. I got a copy directly from HBO, so my "master" has everything, the count back, etc. Here is a list of the performers, in order:
1.) Karroll Fox
2.) Darwin Ortiz
3.) Michael Webber
4.) Daryl
5.) Roger Klause
6.) Paul Gertner
7.) Bob Read
8.) David Roth
9.) Dick Cavett!
10.) Albert Goshman

Each performer did several tricks, so there are more than 10 "Magic Moments".

I don't remember every trick, but Paul Gertner did "Unshuffled", "Flipstick" (to rhyming patter!), and the "Steel Cups and Balls"...

Daryl did "The Chameleon Cards", and "The Jumping Knot of Pakistan"...

Roth did an Okito Box Routine...

Roger did two coin effects and the Sponge in the Sleeve he is noted for as well as "The Hundred Dollar Bill Switch"...

Bob Read did "Durnits", and his Bottle Production...

Webber did "The Ship in the Bottle", and the "Canabill"...

Goshman did the bottlecap Chink-a-Chink, and the Salt Shakers, as well as the Benson Bowl...

Darwin did several an Ace assembly and a Triumph...

Fox did a Linking Ring Routine...

Cavett did the Three Card Monte. That is what I remember and I know I'm leaving things out! All-in-all it is a great group of performances...

Best, PSC

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2004, 6:08 pm

Just remembered a few more tricks from "Magic Moments":

Rubik's Cube, Coins Through the Table, Gypsy Thread, Six Card Repeat, a Business Card Printing effect, Professor's Nightmare, and something with CrackerJacks! Can you match the effect to the performer?

Best, PSC

Postby Guest » July 8th, 2004, 6:18 pm

And how about Harry Anderson, for Canon? I'm surprised no one has mentioned him... Then there are the Don Alan ads for his sponsors, all part of the "Magic Ranch" series, and he may have done some local ads for Mary Hartline, as "Sir Dono"...

Best, PSC

Return to “Buzz”