Attention Magic Castle Members

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Paul Green

Attention Magic Castle Members

Postby Paul Green » January 19th, 2004, 8:53 pm

I suggest all members of the Academy of Magical Arts log on to the Magic Castle Forums and read the latest message from Dale Hindman.

Concerned regards,

Paul Green

Pete Biro

Re: Attention Magic Castle Members

Postby Pete Biro » January 19th, 2004, 9:12 pm

Very interesting... I hope we win.
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » January 19th, 2004, 9:59 pm

Can't find it.

Can you provide a link, or give a clue as to which category Dale's message is in?

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 19th, 2004, 10:17 pm

David,

Dale's message was posted by Robert Busch in the Announcements folder. The message is titled, "Members of the Academy:"

Postby Guest » January 19th, 2004, 10:21 pm

Diana Zimmerman and some others have formed a new management group in league with the Glover family (the Magic Castle property owners) in order to wrest control of the Magic Castle from the AMA and Milt Larsen in a sort of 'hostile takeover'--purportedly to 'save' the Magic Castle.

The new management group is demanding unprecedented levels of control of the Magic Castle, the AMA, and the food and beverage concessions, under threat of the loss of our lease on the historic RB Lane mansion.

If the board, Milt, and the new management group can not come to a mutually satisfying agreement, which looks to be very difficult, either the Magic Castle and the AMA will have to look for a new place to live, or the AMA will have to separate from Milt and the name Magic Castle in order to remain in the current building.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 19th, 2004, 10:34 pm

Mr. Haydn,

I would appreciate it if you would consider posting your complete comment from the "At the Castle" folder. While the knee-jerk reaction to it might be, "Are you nuts?" I believe you have captured the reality of the situation very well. And while AMA members can read your message there, I believe non-members who are considering (or dreaming of) membership would benefit from reading such a realistic view of the future of The Academy.

Best regards,
Dustin

Postby Guest » January 20th, 2004, 12:21 am

Okay, Dustin. Here are the three posts that I have put on the Magic Castle Forum. Some were in answer to questions, but I can only include here my own thoughts, and slightly differently constructed. I hope it makes sense in this way:

Well, there it is. A lot of discussion will be starting now, about how much control the Academy of Magical Arts should give up to the group led by Diana Zimmerman which is attempting a sort of "hostile takeover" of the Castle, taking a great deal of control from Milt Larsen and the AMA and putting it in the hands of this newly created "management" group.

Many things will have to be decided by the Board of Directors, some of which may have to be decided by the new incoming board, and some perhaps by the membership itself.

Some of the most important decisions will be in Milt's hands, as he owns the trademark "Magic Castle," the rights to "Irma" and the sinking stool, and many other key pieces of what we have come to love as the Castle. There is not much that any of us can do about these things, if we want to keep the Magic Castle as it now exists at the R.B. Lane mansion.

On the other hand, I think that the Board of Directors and the membership should seriously consider moving to a new location. We have outgrown the present space, and have been chafing under the difficulties of running such a large and popular clubhouse and restaurant in such a limited facility.

We can not generate much more income at the Castle, unless every night becomes like Friday and Saturday, and that would destroy the experience for our membership.

If we have to give up too much control to our landlords, in order to get a secure lease that will carry us into a successful and growing future, will the Castle be really worth preserving?

If we continue on as we have been without a lease, then our problems with the landlord will continue to grow. If our income grows, the landlord will continue to demand a larger share of it.

If our income shrinks, there will continue to be more pressure to push us out and put in something more profitable. Where will we be 10 years from now? I fear in the same boat we are now, or perhaps even a less powerful position.

Right now, we have the wherewithal and the leadership of Milt to move to a much larger and better facility here in the Los Angeles area. Ten years from now, it will be much more difficult. I say, let's move now. Let's create a newer and better Magic Castle that will take us into the 21st Century.

There are always those who fear change, and love the familiar. People who have grown up in an old church, for example, remember their baptisms, weddings, and funerals held there. They can't imagine tearing down the building, or moving to a new location.

But there is a moment in which a decision sometimes has to be made. Either they continue to grow, or they begin to die as a community. The new building must be built, the move must be taken. I think the Magic Castle has reached that point.

I don't think it matters now what kind of deal we might be able to wrangle out of the current landlords and their new management group. I think we should find a new location where we can have a secure future and more room to do more and bigger things.

I think we should start talking now about moving the Castle to a new location. The Magic Castle is not a building, no matter how many great memories and how much shared history we may have with this wonderful place. The Magic Castle is the Academy and its membership, and the idea of a place that honors, promotes, and celebrates the art of magic.

As much as I love this old building, I believe we should say goodbye and start a new and wonderful venture in a place that gives us room to dream and grow.

There are several very wealthy, important people involved with Diana on this, evidentally. The Glovers, including but not limited to Andy are solidly behind the new management group. They are apparently intent on "saving" the Magic Castle by forcing an unprecedented amount of control over the AMA, the Board of Directors, and the food and beverage concessions.

From what I have heard, which is of course only second hand, the Board, Milt, and the new management team come to a mutual understanding on these issues, which looks to be very difficult, or the AMA and Milt will lose the lease and be forced to move.

Another possibility, one that I could never support, is that the AMA can agree to the landlord's term and we part ways with Milt, thus losing the name Magic Castle, and many of the trademark items that are so much of the Castle experience, including the sinking stool, Irma, and many of those photos, paintings, collectables, and decorative items that belong to the Larsen family and not to the AMA.

I can't believe that Milt would ever allow his dream to be hi-jacked and put under the control of some outside, for-profit group whose responsibility and accountability was not to the members, or to the promotion and celebration of magic. Regardless of what high motives Diana and the others profess, they are coming in from the outside, without the support and knowledge and backing of the Board, Milt, or the membership, and they are helping to put the future direction of the club into the hands of our landlords, whose interests and those of the membership are bound to be very different.

I personally hope that he does not give in to this pressure, and that the board stands with him. No matter what disagreements I have had over the years with the way Milt and the board have run things, I believe that the integrity of our association is at stake here.

To allow those who are not elected and ultimately responsible to us to have the greater say in running the club is to give up our independence and become like guests in our own home.

I think that we should seriously consider the possiblity of a new place for the sake of our future as an organization, and to see if we can get the Board and Milt to lead the way. Milt is brilliant at just this sort of thing, and has certainly created something out of nothing many times before. If we can get him to rise to the challenge, I bet he and the board and the myriad supporters Milt has made along the way can create a new and even better Magic Castle here in the Los Angeles area.

After all, I don't think Milt has any more walls left in the Lane mansion he can hammer on anyway. Maybe he would enjoy starting over. I know I would love to be a part of creating a new, bigger, and better Magic Castle. I am afraid that if we don't do it now, we will not be as capable of pulling it off ten years down the road.

Milt, is it even possible to do such a thing? Would you be willing?

Diana is Diana Zimmerman. She is a very longtime member of the Magic Castle, and for many, many years has done a great job of running the Magic Castle Junior program. She was a very successful magician in her own right, and was married to well known magician and pianist Dick Zimmerman. She has for many years owned and run her very own, very successful company. There are several other people allied with her, including a very well-known and well-to-do magician, evidentally.

As I understand it, the Glover family and this consortium have formed a management company that is seeking to displace the one run by Milt Larsen which currently is the lease holder on the Magic Castle property. Evidentally, the new group professes to be only interested in "saving" the Magic Castle by taking over most of its operations, including the restaurant and bars.

The Glovers own most of the hill that the Magic Castle sits on, including the parking lot, the Magic Hotel, and everything up the hill including the Yamashira Restaurant. The value of this property is rising drastically, along with all the rest of the properties in this part of Hollywood. The Glovers would probably never consider selling the Magic Castle or any of its surrounding properties. As the value of the property increases, the cash flow from the Magic Castle seems to be less and less appropriate--a large hotel might make better sense as an investment, for example.

I believe that this rising expectation for the performance of the Castle is going to continue, whereas the actual ability of the Castle to increase its profitability has fairly peaked. This of course, is just my understanding of the situation, after years of talking with many different people both inside the Magic Castle and in the Hollywood community where I used to live. I am sure there are those on the board or more closely connected to the situation who could correct me, or shed more light on the situation.

It looks to me like a squeeze play that we can never win. That is why I am trying to argue that the future of our organization needs to be protected by finding a new situation where we can have more security and independence, but also so that we can have the room to continue to grow and create even better possibilities for the furtherance and celebration of magic.

I don't believe that the Milt or the Board should agree to any terms with the Castle Partners, LLC, since in my opinion any such deal will only prolong the wait for a day of reckoning which is bound to come, and which we should face now from a position of strength instead of years from now when such a move would be even more difficult. I think we should choose the future, and leave the current building.

Whit Haydn

whit@whithaydn.com
www.whithaydn.com

Bizzaro

Postby Bizzaro » January 20th, 2004, 1:35 am

"The Magic Castle is not a building, no matter how many great memories and how much shared history we may have with this wonderful place. The Magic Castle is the Academy and its membership, and the idea of a place that honors, promotes, and celebrates the art of magic."

This I do not agree with totally. Having finally gotten to visit the castle itself and see that at least one thing in the world lives up to the hype, it is unfair to say that it is not the building. Anything that is put together with love, determination, hard work, and friendship is never JUST a building that is not important. I have heard many stories of the heinous problems with past and sometimes present board members. I do agree that the idea is part of it, but to say the venue is not is a bit cold. Tho' understandable of the motivations to move the locale of the vision, I do not think it's fair or right just for the turn of a buck. I have said that many times, magic is taking a nasty turn towards capitilism and less away from art and entertainment. This is a bold convincer in my eyes.

But hey this is just my opinion. A small voice in a crowd of dollar bills. Who cares right? Someone needs to but then again.. everything happens for a reason aye?
Bizzaro.
www.smappdooda.com
www.bizzarobydesign.com

Brad Henderson

Postby Brad Henderson » January 20th, 2004, 6:13 am

As someone who has worked the castle, visits regularly, and is even contemplating moving to the LA area to be closer to the Castle, I would love to hear any specific details regarding what seems to be a matter of public legal activity that you would care to share on the matter.

What specific changes do the consortium wish to make? Who is on this new management team? Who instigated this action? etc. It seems that this information would have to be or at least become public at some point, so I hope it is not a breech of membership confidentiality to share it here for those of us concerned.

Also, could any of this be thwarted with an historical landmark designation from the city, state, or even country?

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 20th, 2004, 9:25 am

This may not be accurated, but it is what I have heard from more than one source.

The Lane family member that wants to "take over the Magic Castle" seems to want to turn it into a DISCO nightclub.

Frankly, I think Milt can go in with a crew and remove all but the 2x4 framing and re-located in no time at all.

Maybe that would be the best way to go... the Acadamy BUYS a property and Milt and his help create a bigger and better site.
Stay tooned.

Rick Schulz

Postby Rick Schulz » January 20th, 2004, 10:31 am

What, if anything, can the rest of the magic community (i.e., non-Castle members) do? I would hate to see the Castle, as we all know and love it, disappear or relocate - somehow I don't think it would be the same if it moved somewhere else. But even if it does relocate, will this solve the financial problems that have been alluded to in this and other threads on this forum?

Postby Guest » January 20th, 2004, 11:38 am

Originally posted by Rick Schulz:
What, if anything, can the rest of the magic community (i.e., non-Castle members) do? I would hate to see the Castle, as we all know and love it, disappear or relocate - somehow I don't think it would be the same if it moved somewhere else. And even it it does relocate, will this solve the financial problems that have been alluded to in this and other threads on this forum?
The only financial problems that the Castle has are all related to the constantly increasing demands for more money from the landlords, and their refusal to grant us a long term lease.

The Castle is making more money than ever, and is in best physical condition it has ever been. Milt and the board have done wonders making the place an even greater showplace. The new look of the Close-Up Gallery, Parlor and Palace, as well as the easing of the bottleneck in the dining room by replacing the Victorian Festal Board with chairs for those waiting for their tables have all been incredible achievements. The grounds are improved, and the musical Bill Larsen Memorial Fountain is a wonderful addition.

The problem is that no matter how much we take in, the landlords want more, and continually raise our rent and refuse to give us the long term lease that we need to provide future security.

It is my understanding that a 28 year-old stepson of the Glovers is the prime motivator in these changes in the 40 year relationship between the Glovers and Milt Larsen.

He has made it clear that he wants to take over the restaurant and bar business at the Castle, as well as the entertainment, and run it "as a business" to generate more income. This would not be in the interests of the membership in my opinion, except that it would allow us to remain in the Castle as "guests in our own home."

Diana Zimmerman and the group she has put together have joined with this young man, and have gone to the Glovers with a proposal to push Milt Larsen's management group aside and deal directly with the AMA by granting the lease to the Castle Partners, rather than to Milt's company.

The AMA will have to sub-lease from Diana's group now, and in order to do that, they have to agree to many changes in the organization and by-laws of the AMA, and to give up control of the Food, Beverage, and Entertainment of the club to this group representing only themselves and the landlords.

This is the way it has been presented to me, and I think is a fairly good depiction of what is going on, but again I am only reporting what I have heard second-hand from very good sources.

The problem with this "hostile takeover" from Diana's group is, that no matter how high-minded and or well-intentioned this group may claim to be (I certainly have a great deal of respect for Diana and the others), they have gone around the backs of the Board, the membership, and Milt Larsen in a very arrogant and un-democratic way. This is a business takeover, not a reform movement.

They are using the threat of losing the lease in what seems to me to be an extortive way to get the board and membership to agree to changes that primarily benefit the landlords and this for-profit consortium.

Members and non-members alike can help preserve the nature and mission of the Magic Castle by publically voting their support for the Board of Directors and for Magic Castle founder Milt Larsen in whatever decision they decide to make--provided of course that they stand together.

It is possible, though I think very unlikely, that the board will sever its ties with Milt and concede to the demands of the new consortium. This would be a disaster, in my opinion.

Milt would be forced out, and would take with him the name "Magic Castle," all of those decorative items, furnishings, paintings, photos, and collectables that belong to the Larsens and not the AMA, the rights to Irma the haunted piano, the sinking stool, etc.

I and many other members would walk with him. I feel that we owe this kind of loyalty to Milt, who after all, pretty much built the current building with his own hands, and without him and Bill there would be no Castle.

Milt would most probably then set up a new "Magic Castle" somewhere else. It would be a fatal blow to the Castle as we know it.

My personal hope is that Milt and the Board will together decide to move, and install the Castle lock, stock, and barrel in a new, larger, and more secure location where we can continue to grow, build, and plan for the future.

The AMA and Milt together own the interior of the Castle down to the studs in the walls. The stained glass, the antique tin ceilings, the moldings, the wood paneling, the carpets, the decorative columns, even the lighting fixtures would all go, possibly to be re-installed in a new building. The Lane mansion would return to what it was when Bill and Milt first took it over, a hollow shell of house suitable only for the wrecking ball.

All of the "grandfathered" exceptions to modern building codes would be nullified, and the owners would have to rebuild the whole place up to modern Los Angeles building, electrical, and plumbing codes. It would cost a fortune.

I don't know what the Glovers and their new partners are planning for the Castle, but they have created a situation which leaves our membership few good choices.

Perhaps something can be worked out. I think that it probably is too late.

If Milt is willing to re-build his dream somewhere else, I vote we help him.

Jim Riser

Postby Jim Riser » January 20th, 2004, 1:14 pm

Certainly none of this trouble with the landlord can come as a surprise. This is the problem of renting - any thing any where. The owner will always raise prices. This is especially true once an enterprise begins to make money and younger greedier relatives sprout up. It happens all of the time. IMHO it's time to leave the old haunts.

It is my feeling that the group should locate another Victorian building in LA (with suitable space for parking), buy it, redo it, and move in. The parking situation is critical. Doing this would allow the organization to become stable and secure.

Heck, if the AMA decides to buy and move, I'd be willing to reinstate my old membership! It's a losing situation as things have been - and the situation will not improve. With the rising cost of real estate in the LA area, the sooner the better for this move.
Jim

Postby Guest » January 20th, 2004, 1:48 pm

I agree with Whit and Jim. Let's stand with Milt, give him our support (time and money), and the Magic Castle will continue to be what we treasure. The building is just a shell - it's the spirit of the members, and Milt Larsen in particular, who created the Castle and will continue the AMA for years to come! --Asrah

John McDonald

Postby John McDonald » January 20th, 2004, 2:49 pm

I loved the Gennii article on the castle and have just finished reading it again. I am amazed that the landlord's threatening such an American treasure with all the history of the Larsan family and American magic scene there. I agree with the posters that say that it is the people who give the Castle it's soul and heart that make it so loved. Wherever the Magic Castle is - there - will be that love of magic that will not flounder.

Although not a member of the magic circle I know they revamped and relocated a few years ago and by all accounts are happy with the results.
Best John

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 20th, 2004, 3:26 pm

According to most polls, change ranks behind only death and public speaking as the most frightening things a human being can face. So clearly there will be some serious resistance to moving, but we have to play past that. The Magic Circle moved successfully. So can the AMA and The Magic Castle.

But what about the Magic Castle?

Is it just a building? Is the soul of the Castle fixed within its walls? I agree with Mr. Haydn: part of the soul of the Castle is in the fixtures, bar tops, paintings, ceilings, wall panels, etc.--all of which are movable: As are the members, and the performers--the other part of the Castles soul.

If the AMA stays in the building, unless Milt sides with the raiders, they will only be able to call it the Magic Mansion or some other hollow, bastardized version of the name. Only those fixtures sold off by Milt to the AMA to pay down his loan will stay: The rest will go with Milt. If the AMA sides with Milt (as Im sure it will), it all goes. Let the raiders have the hollow name and hollow building.

Yes, walking up that winding drive and looking up at the turret are certainly part of the mystique of that old place and just entering it brings back memories so thick (for those of us old enough to have them) that you have to beat them away. But what really elicits those memories? I think its seeing the bookcase opening upon command; the sight of the Professors couch and the feeling that the mans spirit is still sitting there; the sound of Irma playing in the background, mixed with the laughter of surprise from those who just knew she wouldnt know the song they just requested. I think that these are the types of things that bring back the wonderful memories, not the walls and the location. These things, memories and traditions will always be a part of the Magic Castle--no matter where they are--and many of us will share the memories and traditions associated with those things freely with those of a new generation and location. The building needs those things and, most importantly, it needs us, to be The Magic Castle, not the other way around.

Dustin

Wolfgang

Postby Wolfgang » January 20th, 2004, 3:38 pm

I have been thinking about joining the magic castle as a member for a while (never really made it a priority so). I feel a new building could bring new blood in the magic castle. Think about the possibilities: When there is enough room maybe one of the major collectors could be convinced to house his collection in the castle who than has an attraction for non members and regular folks (a magic museum). Maybe a showroom could be constructed with a seperate entrance to allow for public shows once a while.
This would be a smart move. There is really no reason for the castle to occupy such a prime location as the Hollywood Hills.
:)

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 20th, 2004, 5:30 pm

From the "other thread"

I would hate to see ANYONE, hostile or otherwise, TAKE OVER the Magic Castle.

With property values going through the sky (thanks only for my property) the Castle as it is seems to be not making enough money for the landlords.

If they take over, I hear they want to make it into a DISCO NIGHTCLUB.

Triple ARGH...

On second thought now I really think the Acadamy should take its toys and re-locate.

Buy a property and forget landlords.

Milt could take all the fixtures, Irma, the new carpeting, everything, and re-create a bigger better castle.

Just think if we could "scratch build" a close up room that hold more than the 20 folks it now does. Just think if we had a stage with room for someone like Lance Burton or Coppperfield?

Just think if we had room for really good classrooms, lecture hall, etc.

Move now!

(but no farther than 12 minutes from my house) :D
Stay tooned.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 20th, 2004, 5:31 pm

It just dawned on me.

Do you all know that there is ANOTHER house not too far away that was built from the SAME BLUEPRINTS as the Lane Mansion (Magic Castle).

I wonder just where it is and if it can be purchased?

That wold be ironic, eh?

:confused:
Stay tooned.

Postby Guest » January 20th, 2004, 5:54 pm

Are you talking about the original house in Redlands? That would be too far, I am afraid.

Dustin Stinett

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 20th, 2004, 6:16 pm

Yes - I'll bet that's the house Pete's talking about. It is also a mirror image, if memory serves (flip-flopped floor plan). Even if it were closer, as was pointed out, our current digs are really too small, and they have been expanded well past that of the original building!

No, a larger place with a facade that resembles the front of the old mansion is what I am fantasizing about.

Dustin

Postby Guest » January 20th, 2004, 7:58 pm

My name is Michael Flint. As a member of Castle Partners, LLC, I am posting the following message from Tom Glover.

As the representative of the Landlords of the Magic Castle, I want to respond to incorrect information published in this forum.

Mr. Haydn's comment about “the constantly increasing demands for more money from the landlords” could not be further from the truth. The statement, “no matter how much we take in, the landlords want more, and continually raise our rent” is equally false.

For 40 years, the Landlords of the Magic Castle have had exactly the same lease terms for the Castle. Those terms, originally established by a handshake between Milt Larsen and my father, have always been a percentage of gross sales of food and beverages at the Castle. Such terms are the most common in the industry. The Landlords have never asked for more. In fact, when offered a higher percentage we declined because that is not our primary concern. The only change made in 40 years was the establishment of a very reachable “minimum” rent last year to encourage the Castle to revitalize.

To be completely accurate, our rent has never come directly from the Academy of Magical Arts. It has come from Milt Larsen who has had his own “sub-lease” with the AMA. If we had raised the rent - which we did not - it would have come from Milt. Milt has been the Landlord of the AMA, and whatever terms he has had for his sub-lease are what have affected the Academy and its members.

Representing the owners of the property, I can assure you that our primary concern is the survival, health, and success of the Magic Castle. We are extremely sensitive to the history of this wonderful institution, to Milt Larsen's place as the founder, to the AMA's presence at the Magic Castle, and to the home it has provided for the members of the AMA for four decades. It is our sincere hope that this relationship will continue long into the future.

Tom Glover

Postby Guest » January 20th, 2004, 8:29 pm

I apologize if I was in error on that issue. That is not what I had heard, but I have no reason to doubt Mr. Glover on this, and I naturally assume this is the truth.

I am certainly glad to get some specific information from the Castle Partners. It would be really valuable if we all had a better understanding of what the specific aims and long term goals of the Castle Partners were.

I am not sure what encouraging "the Magic Castle to revitalize" might mean. Could Michael Flint or someone from the Castle Partners explain that for us?

What exactly needs to be revitalized, and what do the Castle Partners plan to do to bring this about?

What would "success" of the Magic Castle mean to the Castle Partners--how would that be judged?

What is it that you mean by survival? What do we need to do, in the opinion of the Castle Partners, to survive?

The "handshake" deal of a fixed percentage seems to have worked for 40 years, how is a new "minimum" rent not a very real change in that deal? How often can this minimum be raised?

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 20th, 2004, 9:45 pm

I'm very grateful to Michael Flint and Tom Glover for establishing some facts amid the swirl of rumors. No one expects Castle Partners and Milt Larsen and the AMA to conduct their negotiations on a public forum like this one, however the greater the number of facts which are stated directly by those involved will decrease the number of rumors and misunderstandings which are bound to occur.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Postby Guest » January 21st, 2004, 12:13 am

Here are the notices posted by Dale Hindman and Milt Larsen to all Castle Members:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Members of the Academy

Rather than waiting for the Annual Meeting or the next Newsletter, I am writing to you now with information about recent developments in the negotiations concerning the Academys lease on The Magic Castle because I believe that the situation has taken a very significant turn in the last few days. After more than a year of ongoing discussions between the Glover family, Milt Larsen and representatives of the Board of the Academy, it now appears that there will be no long-term lease for the Academy unless certain organizational changes are made regarding the way in which the operations of The Magic Castle are managed. The Glover family has formed a new limited liability company, Castle Partners, LLC, and we have been told that this new entity may hold the long-term lease on The Magic Castle and may be negotiating tenancy arrangements with the Academy and with Milt. It is too early to determine the nature of future changes to the Castles operations, but I assure you, every effort will be made to ensure the impact upon the Academy membership is minimal.

As most of you know, Milt Larsen has been the Academys landlord since the beginning of the Magic Castle, and his company owns the U.S. Registered Trademark rights on the name, The Magic Castle. Milt is very much involved in these ongoing negotiations and he will have the final say on many of these lease issues.

Nevertheless, substantial organizational revisions to the Academys governing structure can be anticipated if the Academy is to continue to manage the food, beverage and entertainment functions of The Magic Castle. Other functions of The Magic Castle may be impacted, as well. It will likely be several weeks, at least, before I have more definitive news to give you. Many of the changes will be a result of future discussions and negotiations with Castle Partners, LLC, may require amendments to the Academys Articles of Incorporation, By-Laws and operating policies, and will be detailed for you when they are known.

I will provide you with as much information as I can, as it becomes available. Suffice it to say we are all pulling in the same direction the long-term security of The Magic Castle and the continuing health and prosperity of the Academy of Magical Arts and the magical family that founded and continues to nurture this remarkable organization.

Dale Hindman
President

----------------------------------------
----------------------------------------
At the time I wrote my column for the December newsletter everything I said was true based on the facts at the time. As you have read in Dales message to the membership, a number of new ingredients have been thrown into the pot. As I have stated many times I have had a wonderful working relationship with the Glover family (our landlords).

They respect me and I respect them. For forty-one years I have paid the rent on time and turned an old house and parking garage into a major destination for magicians throughout the world. Now they have expressed concerns about the aging of the club. In part to deal with this issue, I suggested a concept wherein the AMA would become the tenant and lease the building directly from the landlords.

I felt we were getting along very well in our negotiations until we were notified, on January 8, 2004, that the landlord had made a new partnership agreement with a group of business orientated magicians which we believe would result in them assuming control of the Castle. This group had been dealing with the landlords without our knowledge and we still do not know much of the details of their agreements with the Glovers or what they propose to do. Obviously I was upset with the underhanded way this was done. Under the arrangement we think may under consideration by the landlords, the entire food, beverage and entertainment operations would be turned over to this new group. They, in effect, would own the building, run the operation and the AMA would have space for club activities. Their announced goal is to increase the quality of the food, beverage and entertainment functions. Sadly, in my opinion, we would lose the funky old club, nutty but very loyal employees, always complaining magicians and the old world charm that we have today Its much more than a physical building, the Castle is a magical place of which I am very proud.

As much as I love this wonderful old house we may have to face the fact that the commercial value of the property may have made it impractical for a club like ours to exist in our present location. I have been looking at other potential locations, all in Hollywood and all fascinating properties.

All, I might add, would love to have the Magic Castle as a tenant. Time will tell.

While I remain the worlds greatest optimist, I must now put many Castle projects on hold and investigate the alternatives. We won't know anything concrete for at least several weeks, and when we do know what is going to happen, appropriate announcements will be made. Thanks for a great forty-one years and heres to a great future.

Milt

Bizzaro

Postby Bizzaro » January 21st, 2004, 1:55 am

Every dark cloud has a silver lining but the brighter the picture the darker the negative.

We shall see...
Bizzaro.

www.smappdooda.com

www.bizzarobydesign.com

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 21st, 2004, 7:21 am

Thanks, Whit, for bringing those messages from Dale and Milt to all the members of the Forum. We now have some detailed statements from both sides, however much is still unknown. Hopefully a clearer picture will emerge in the coming weeks.

Postby Guest » January 21st, 2004, 9:41 am

It may not even get that far, that the membership will even have a vote. It is possible that the Board and Milt will have to make a decision to stay or go first.

The changes to the by-laws, BOD, etc. are being required by the Castle Partners, so they will only be relevant if the BOD decides to stay.

If Milt decides to leave, I strongly suspect, and certainly hope, that the AMA will go with him to open up a new clubhouse in the Hollywood area.

I am not only ready to move, I think it is essential for the future survival and continued growth of the AMA. We need room to improve member services, and to dream new things.

Postby Guest » January 21st, 2004, 10:06 am

If y'all move I'll make a special trip to LA just to support the club.
Steve V <---has wand, will travel

Steve Bryant
Favorite Magician: Ballantine

Postby Steve Bryant » January 21st, 2004, 11:01 am

Hey, move it to Las Vegas, where more of us could afford to move.

Postby Guest » January 21st, 2004, 1:03 pm

Landlords suck. I'd say it's time for a move. Even though I have LOTS of fond memories from the current location of the Castle, there's no reason that great things can't happen in a new and improved Magic Castle. Let's buy some property so we won't have to deal with any more red-haired, 28 year old, greedy step children ever again.

I wonder if guys like Copperfield, Lance Burton, and Siegfried and Roy would be willing to donate to the cause. They probably wouldn't miss a couple million dollars. :D

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 21st, 2004, 2:11 pm

Marrs, part of your post was just nasty and stupid.
Being red-haired has nothing to do with it.
Being 28 years old has nothing to do with it.
Being a step child has nothing to do with it.
Being greedy MAY have something to do with it, or not, depending upon what the facts really are.

Postby Guest » January 21st, 2004, 3:55 pm

Richard is right on this, and I think it is important. All of the people involved are--I am convinced--sincerely concerned about the fate of the Academy of Magical Arts. I know that Peter Reveen, the Glover family, and Diana Zimmerman all truly care about what happens to the Castle.

We can criticize or argue about the methods used, and whether there might have been more open ways to go about this, but even that is really pointless now. It is history.

The real question, and the only important one, is what is the best thing for the Castle in the long run?

Each of the parties involved have their own ideas of what the Castle is, and what it should be, and what is the best for it in the long run.

Let's talk about that.

Personally, I know what Bill and Milt's vision was and is, and I trust Milt to value and protect that. If he finally reaches an agreement with the Castle Partners, that satisfies him, I will go along with that.

I am not really sure what the Castle Partners see as their vision of what the Magic Castle and the Academy of Magical Arts should be. I would love to hear something from them on that, like a mission statement.

What I have heard so far, strikes me as a new and different direction for the Castle, one that I don't think I want to follow.

I can disagree with the Castle Partners, and fight for a different idea without name-calling or blame-finding. That is the way Milt is handling all this, and I think Richard is exactly right in calling us to such a standard.

Postby Guest » January 21st, 2004, 7:43 pm

In an effort to provide more information as requested by so many, here is our Mission Statement. We created it in our first meeting and it reflects our vision. Protocol dictates that we share information directly with Milt and the BOD.

It is our hope that as we communicate with them, they will communicate with you. Our next meeeting with Milt and representatives of the BOD is scheduled for tomorrow evening.

Castle Partners, LLC

Mission Statement

To ensure a sound, financially prosperous future for The Magic Castle and The AMA that will:

Revitalize the reputation of the Club to its former elite glory and luster; allow it to step into today; and preserve the integrity of the original dream created by Milt, Bill and Irene Larsen and their father, Bill Larsen, Sr.

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » January 21st, 2004, 8:56 pm

Can you address the comment heard that you want to change the Magic Castle to a disco type club?
Stay tooned.

Steve V

Postby Steve V » January 21st, 2004, 9:33 pm

I just wonder how much they think it will cost them to pay off Milt to let them use the name, keep the material in place, and to make magicians think they did a good thing by Milt....if there is a price.
Steve V
Steve V

Postby Guest » January 21st, 2004, 11:54 pm

Richard, first of all, when I first heard the rumors that the Castle was perhaps in trouble due to a 28 year old step child's POSSIBLE greed, the common expression "treated like a red-haired step child at a family reunion" just popped into my head. Due to the apparent secretive way that things are being handled at my club (I am a dues paying member afterall), I'm starting to feel like the "red-haired step child" myself. I meant no undue disrespect by the combination of various pieces of information in my post. I don't know, nor care, what color hair the Glover child has or anything else about him.

Secondly, I wasn't referring to the Glover step child anyways. It's difficult, thanks to the way folks are dispersng information, to distinguish between facts and rumors. For all I know, the Glovers may not even have a step child.

I tried to express my feelings that getting away from ANY individual (especially a greedy one) who is in the position of placing personal financial gain over the well-being of a nonprofit organization's members would be a good thing.

So far most of what we, as MEMBERS, have been given as far as factual information has been extremely limited. This is especially disconcerting seeing how it looks like, if the rumors are true, the "hostile takeover" of the Castle has been planned for quite some time now. Things like this don't just pop up overnight.

Finally, if the mission statement's "financially prosperous" means that we'll be able to improve on a place that Dai Vernon called his home, then fine. But, if this means that the Castle is going to go through a revitalization like the one that Los Angeles' historic Farmer's Market (at 3rd and Fairfax) recently went through, then you can keep it. I want no part in a "Private Club" where the only thing that matters is the bottom line.

P.S. For what it's worth, for the first time ever, I recently noticed some "tagging" (graffiti) on some of the surfaces in the Castle, such as in the restrooms. Is this a coincidence, or is this because members are now giving out passes to folks who don't belong in the Castle? Are members giving out passes to undeserving individuals due to the constant reminders by the BOD in the newsletters that we've got to raise more money to keep the Castle alive since, for the first time in 40 years, we now have to pay rent in addition to a percentage of the food and beverage sales? Is this the direction we're heading?

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 22nd, 2004, 7:37 am

Please don't get the two things which compose The Magic Castle confused.
The Academy of Magical Arts is a non-profit organization.
The Magic Castle is NOT a non-profit! It makes money for Milt Larsen. It appears that the Glover family seems to feel that they haven't been getting their fair share of that profit. That seems to be what has precipitated this.

Postby Guest » January 22nd, 2004, 9:02 am

Well then, it looks like we have a conflict of interest by having a non-profit club and a for profit business under the same roof.

Despite this conflict the Castle seems to have done just fine over the last forty years. It's too bad that we can't just leave well enough alone. I guess that the days of conducting business over a gentleman's handshake are long gone. :(

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » January 22nd, 2004, 2:48 pm

Sorry, David, but the Glover family owns the land and building: THEY "hold the cards," to use your expression.

Return to “Buzz”