Fred Kaps instructional video?

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.

Re: Fred Kaps instructional video?

Postby Guest » February 15th, 2002, 2:59 pm

Hi All.

Wow, this is a very intersted thread to read!

Talking to David Roth 2 years ago, he told me that if Fred Kaps had lived longer, he would surely had been the next professor!

Best,
Daniel

Pete Biro

Postby Pete Biro » February 15th, 2002, 4:33 pm

One of the treats of my magical life was sitting on Kaps' yacht, in one of the many canals of Holland, and writing his lecture notes. We spent several days doing this, going over things move by move.

I may still have a set somewhere. Perhaps it is time to reprint?

Dick Koornwinde has the Kaps Notebook (Fred took all his magical notyes in English!) and is working with Mike Caveny to publish a "Complet Frd Kaps" book... hopefully by next FISM (n Holland).
Stay tooned.

fkaps1

Postby fkaps1 » February 18th, 2002, 8:07 am

Hi Philippe,

Not only his sense of acting, but also his sense of timing, as well as logical actions. His moves were covered by very natural blocking and movement.

Marc DeSouza

Postby Guest » March 8th, 2002, 9:55 am

I'd like to second Dick Koornwinders
comments about "heroes of magic". It is an excellent show and you should seek out a copy any way you can. I have said before on other boards that Kaps's Homing card (as seen on heroes of magic) is the finest all around performance of magic I have ever seen. The acting is worthy of an oscar. Incidentally the musical acompanyment to the homing card is Joplins "the entertainer" Fred was certainly worthy of that title.
I would LOVE to see any other footage of this amazing Magician.

Postby Guest » March 8th, 2002, 4:08 pm

I'm also a huge fan of Fred's having seen old footage of him from television. He was a fantastic performer, and I'd love to see something come out that is clearer than what I've seen previously, but then anything is better than nothing.
Fred was a great example of how far you could take magic as an individual if we'll just apply ourselves, and not be afraid to seek the help of others.
Rick

Postby Guest » March 8th, 2002, 8:23 pm

Again, I have a brief performance on tape from the 1976 FISM - as Pete Biro referred to so entertainingly earlier. I'm more than happy to share copies - and would like to get some clips from others, if you have them. (Hope I won't get in trouble with the folks from the copyright thread!) --Asrah :eek:

David Nethery
Favorite Magician: Wiz Kid Qua-Fiki

Postby David Nethery » March 17th, 2002, 10:58 am

It would be a real service to the magic community if SAM or Magic Circle , etc. would put up the money to gather all the various source materials (video tape, 8mm and 16mm film ) and do a really first class job digitally restoring the stuff to get it in releasable format for a DVD.

The only time I ever saw Kaps perform was on one of those Dick Cavett hosted magic specials on T.V. from the 70's (and maybe on Mark Wilson's 'Magic Circus'.......was Kaps ever on 'Magic Circus' ??) . Fred Kaps made such an impression on me that the mental image of him performing is as clear to me today as when I first saw it 25 years ago.

Return to “Buzz”