Jonathan Townsend

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Brian Marks

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Brian Marks » July 24th, 2001, 5:56 pm

Does anyone know what happened to Jonathan Townsend? I heard 2 different things. first I heard he committed suicide than I heard he just dropped out of magic.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: Jonathan Townsend

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 24th, 2001, 11:52 pm

Jonathan Townsend dropped out of magic, and out of sight, many years ago. While the rumor is that he committed suicide, no one seems to know for sure.
He was extremely clever (it would have been nice if more of us told him so), but found it difficult to fit in.
His best invention was the fingertip coins across plot known by the name Chris Kenner gave his handling, "Three Fly." :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » July 25th, 2001, 1:19 am

three fly happens to be the best trick I do and most requested by both laymen. I havent been in magic long enogh to have known him, many magicians who see the trick often remind me of its origins and Jonathan' disappearence from magic.

However David Roth has told me there is a poster possibly suggesting T Nelson Downs did a finger tip coins across similar to three fly.

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2001, 4:05 am

Sorry if my remark was offensive. I really heard no such rumor about him commiting suicide.

I agree that his 3-fly is a beautiful coin effect(Daryl and Paul Wilson have great versions) and i'd have to disagree with those who find Kohler's gimmicked version superior.

I'm interested in hearing about Townsend's other creations.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 25th, 2001, 11:57 am

David Roth is engaging in an ongoing fantasy of his when he suggests that simply because there is a painted pose of Downs holding some coins at his fingertips on a poster that this somehow suggests he did a version of a fingertip coins across. Shall I assume that all magicians used to wear lipstick just because their lips have color in old magic posters? I think not! :rolleyes:

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2001, 12:38 pm

Speaking of "Lost & Found" does anyone remember Kenny Earle, a young kid from the NYC scene, about 20 years ago? He did some great riffle shuffle work and a good second deal. Anyone know what ever happened?

Also, what's the latest with Geoff Latta?
Any info?? :rolleyes:

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » July 25th, 2001, 2:23 pm

Being a hopeless collector of magical minutia, I think that a lengthy monograph could be written about magicians who have dropped out or otherwise disappeared--not only from the magic scene, but from the "world." One could begin with Charlier. Also, what happened to Joe Christ, hippie bottom dealer from Greenwich Village? What about Matt Corin? Joe Rindfleish? Pressley Guitar? Roger Smith? Moe? The list is long.

Perhaps the book or "department" could be titled "What Ever Happened To...?"

Onward... ;)

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 25th, 2001, 3:40 pm

One that I have wondered about is Steve Duscheck.
Anyone know?
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Matthew Field
Favorite Magician: Slydini

Postby Matthew Field » July 25th, 2001, 4:02 pm

Can't answer most of the "Where Are They Now"s, but Jon asked about Joe Rindfleisch, who I ran into a couple of months ago at Monday Night Magic, dragged there by Mike Randazzo. Joe is a sweet fellow (whose unpublished book I edited). He tried to make a go of marketing magic with his own company, came out with a Lotto prediction trick that didn't do well, and packed it in. He works with computers now, lives in New Jersey.

As for Moe (Seidenstein), I'll let Richard answer that one, but it is amazing!

Matt Field

[ July 25, 2001: Message edited by: Matthew Field ]

Postby Guest » July 25th, 2001, 4:41 pm

Like the "Where are they now..?" idea. I wonder about Jon Brunelle. He had some great stuff in the early 80's, mostly known through 2 Linking Ring issues. The last one mentioned he was working as a "mock" witness for law students in Chicago, I believe. Maybe Eugene Burger knows more.
Richard, what's up with Geoff Latta?

Mark

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » July 25th, 2001, 5:37 pm

Richard, David Roth made a suggestion to me that there was possibility that T Nelson Downs was doing a fingertip across. Lets not take anything out of context. It was not said to reduce anything that Jonathan did in coming up with the effect of fingercoins across or the method Jonathan used. Just that the effect may or may not have existed in other forms.

I have always been curious to know if Jonathan's work has been published anywhere. Since I do a sleight of hand three fly (no shells) I am interested in its origins.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » July 25th, 2001, 9:06 pm

Originally posted by Jon Racherbaumer:
Being a hopeless collector of magical minutia, I think that a lengthy monograph could be written about magicians who have dropped out or otherwise disappeared--not only from the magic scene, but from the "world." One could begin with Charlier.

Jon, as to the mysterious Charlier, I've been working on a rather long piece for some time. I hope to have it finished by Spring. In the meantime (and perhaps thereafter as well), Eddie Dawes chapter on Charlier in Charles Bertram: The Court Conjurer remains the most helpful summary of what we know about this enigmatic gentleman. By the way, the Bertrm book is another of those wonderful Kaufman volumes that belongs in the library of anyone interested in the history of magic.

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » July 25th, 2001, 9:15 pm

It's a shame that Jonathan Townsend never really received the proper recognition to his contribution to the coins across plot. Jonathan's concept and routine of the fingertip coins across is wonderful. It has some very strong and extremely visual moments that none of the variations have ever explored.

Just to help set the record straight on the background of Jonathan's routine, it was back around the Fall of 1986 when Jonathan first demonstrated and taught me his original routine. In the summer of 1987 at the last New York Magic Symposium honoring Dai Vernon that was held at the Sheraton Center in NYC, I introduced Jonathan to Chris Kenner. I remember Jonathan being so impressed with Kenner's work that he not only demonstrated the routine to Chris but he also taught it to him. As far as I know Chris and I were the only two people Jonathan ever taught the original workings of his routine.

To be quite honest it has always bothered me that in Chris's original publication of his version of the routine in his self published magazine, The Magic Man Examiner, he never really gave Jonathan his "props" for coming up with the original concept.

For those of you who may be interested in the original routine please take note that I will be publishing Jonathan's handling together with three additional versions of the routine of my own construction. The three extra routines included in this limited edition treatise, will include what I feel are my best adaptations for the routine since it was originally taught to me. As a matter of fact, most recently David Roth himself was so taken with my latest interpretation of the routine that he stated and I quote, "Eric, that's the best routine I have ever seen for the figure tips coin across and yes you can quote me on that".

In regards to David Roth's inference regarding that the T. Nelson's Downs poster influenced Jonathan is quite funny. Let me explain, in a conversation I had last year with Mr. Roth, I was the one who mentioned to him the image on the poster and that quite possibly Mr. Downs could have performed the figure tips routine years ago. As a joke I mentioned that Jonathan may have received the inspiration for the routine from that poster. Apparently he took me seriously.

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » July 25th, 2001, 9:44 pm

I had the pleasure of spending a wee bit of time with Mr. Decamps last year at Tannen's Jubilee. He performed a 3 Fly for us. I'm not sure which version he did, but it was really really wonderful and you all are advised to check out his publication. It looked really good. :)

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » July 26th, 2001, 1:18 am

Eric

Thank you for setting me strait on the poster of T Nelson Downs. Is this an actual poster though. As I said in an earlier message It was just mentioned briefly afterI performed the trick for him.

I would be very interested for your treatise on three fly. IT IS my most requested trick.

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » July 26th, 2001, 6:28 am

Brian,

A copy of the Downs poster can be viewed at Norm Neilson's site(nnmagic.com).

The area in question are the two images located in the lower left hand corner of the poster. They may not be clear enough on the site but those are the ones.

You may also want to check out Charles Reynolds book, "100 Hundred Years of Magic Posters". There is a black and white reprodcution of the poster in the book.

Good luck.

Eric DeCamps

[ July 26, 2001: Message edited by: Eric DeCamps ]

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » July 26th, 2001, 10:16 am

MB Korn:

In response to your inquiry about Kenny Earl, I am sad to report that Kenny passed away several years ago. It happened sometime during the early to mid 1990's, I am not exactly sure of the actual date. I believe the death was do to heart failure resulting from an eating disorder that Kenny suffered from.

Kenny was am amazing guy. As an early teen he fried all of the local magi's in the NYC area with his original handlings and his implementation of some of Derek Dingles most difficult card routines. He dropped out of the scene for a while due to personal reasons and then came back to magic in his mid twenties. I was lucky enough to be introduced to Kenny by Meir Yedid when I was still working at NYC's Magic Towne House. I always liked his magic and felt his execution was very good.

Eric DeCamps

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » July 26th, 2001, 9:16 pm

I'd like to jump into the "what happened to" subject. The first magician I saw perform at the Magic Castle was Hiram Straight (sp?).He seemed work there fairly often in the early 80's, then vanished. I never heard any news of him (and never asked around, sorry to say).

Any one? Any one?

Dustin

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » July 28th, 2001, 6:23 pm

I couldn't help but comment on the JT thread. Eric, it's good to hear you've got new work on the "visible coins across" real development in that area is sorely needed.

It's also interesting that you've got Jonathan's original handling. Maybe we should compare notes. I've got what appears to be his first approach in a letter (I don't have it with me at the moment)from way back, and I'd be interested to see if we have the same thing or not.

As you may recall, I've got quite a bit of stuff from JT, and have been trying to find out what happened to him, on and off, for a little over a year. No news yet. It's a shame, too, because some of his material is still way ahead of the crowd,and I'dlike more people to know about it.

As a tidbit to tease the person who started this inquiry, you might like this: As far as I know, the whole thing was started by Jonathan's observation that when you hold coins heads up on your hand, all the heads look in the same direction, as if the coins want to be in the other hand.

I do miss the guy.

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: Richard Kaufman ]

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » July 28th, 2001, 9:28 pm

Last I heard, Jon Brunelle was living in New York City.
Very sad to hear about Kenny Earle. Was it the second deal that he did so well?
Geoff Latta is still living in New York, though is playing it very low key. Stephen Minch will publish his book.
Matt Corin is reported to have been living secretly in England, and is now said to be back in America.
Moe Seidenstein is still alive, and living in ... well, we'll keep that a secret for now.
Any questions, ask Parker Pine, finder of missing persons.

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » July 29th, 2001, 1:23 am

Curtis

Thanks for the tidbid of info.

I really loved your video. While the method I use for three fly is Paul Wilson's, your handling and thinking on the trick was influential. I am currently trying to get your twisting move down.

Is there any hope for future Palms of Steel videos?

Brian Marks

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » July 29th, 2001, 1:04 pm

Curtis:

You are correct that Jonathan did notice that the heads of the coins were all facing the same way. Jonathan always used quarters when he performed the routine.

Yes I do remember that you and Jonathan corresponded but I was not aware that he shared his first approach of the concept with you. By your post I am not sure if you had ever seen him perform it. Did you? There is this final sequence that looked so good in his hands and is so very hard to duplicate. I had to substitute a different sleight to accomplish the same effect. The effect looks the same but is nowhere as difficult as what Jonathan used. Do not get me wrong here I believe that the construction of the routine is very good and whenever Jonathan performed it, he did it effortlessly.

Through the years since the fingertip coins across was first published, I have been curious what Jonathan would think of all of the variations and evolutions that people have come up with his concept. I always felt that Jonathan had this need to leave some sort of "legacy" with his magic. It seems to me that with the fingertip coins across he may have reached that goal.

It's a shame no one in the magic community seems to know what happened to Jonathan. At times he could appear to be a bit stand offish but as far as I am concerned I found him to be quite generous with his original material and always felt his heart was always in the right place.

Eric DeCamps

PS Did you ever see Jonathan perform his in the hands Triumph routine? His solution to the problem was very good and it also looked great!

Postby Guest » July 30th, 2001, 1:55 pm

For what it's worth and for the record, I remember seeing Jonathan Townsend perform a one-handed top palm from a two card packet. Can't remember the routine, but he had a very soft touch to everything.

Curtis Kam

Postby Curtis Kam » July 30th, 2001, 7:18 pm

Well, thanks one and all for the enthusiastic responses. Perhaps this will prompt the consideration of a "collected works" book from one of the more respected and insightful publishers of quality magic literature?

Towards that end, I have about 10 years of correspondence, and most of the finished material, I did perform for audiences. Of course, there were a few "heartbreaker" moves for which JT was legendary, and I never developed the knack.

Thank you to MB Korn for verifying the existence of one of them, the one-hand top palm from a double. As MB points out, that move exemplified JT's handling in general. A lot of his stuff took a soft touch.

Another heartbreaker was the palm-to-palm switch for six coins, three visible, and three in edge grip. He could exchange the sets of coins quickly enough to work as a visible change.

Eric, if you're talking about the final vanish for the last coin, yeah, I did see him do that. Combined with the reproduction on the other side, the whole effect came together nicely. I don't believe I ever saw Jonathan do the whole routine, though, the last time I saw him we tinkered with the bits and pieces, but he did not have the routine together.

I can't say I ever saw the in-the-hands triumph, either. Must have been one of his later pieces.

Brian, as far as your original question: JT's material is scattered throughout Apocalypse, Best of Friends II (along with three of my routines)and the printed lecture notes from the few lectures that he did. Maybe someone fom the New York Area could help you find them, or check with Richard Hatch (H&R Books)

RE: Palms of Steel, yes, I have firm and definite promises to start up again from my video guy. We're starting a company to produce videos, and we're considering the following projects once POS 2 and 3 (tenatively subtitled "All you need is Coins" and "Give Coins a Chance") are out:

A video update of Bobo's collecting one or two things each from coinpeople all over the world. Call it "Newer, More Modern Coin Magic"

A video on the retention pass that proves that getting a good burn has nothing to do with your retinas.

Something with the unpublished works from Jonathan Towndsend.

An upgrade of my first video "Deceptions in Paradise" "Deceptions 2.0"

Material from the Japanese Coin Underground

Any suggestions?

Postby Guest » July 31st, 2001, 12:54 am

In response to JR's statement, i heard recently that Matt Corin, who resurfaced a few years ago, is now deceased, though i don't know when or exactly how

Jon Racherbaumer

Postby Jon Racherbaumer » July 31st, 2001, 2:05 am

Yes, Matt Corin did indeed re-surface and was using an alias. I talked to him and this was definitely verified. Then he disappeared again. The rumor was that he died in a car crash. This has not been verified in any way. Because of all past rumors and strange activities, one either strongly believes the rumors or assumes that Corin is simply doing what he does well...

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » July 31st, 2001, 11:42 am

It's a shame when you lose contact with old friends. Yes you are very close for a while and then life deals you different hands and you go your own separate ways. It's also a shame when the old childhood game of telephone can turn out to be a real life experience. Allow me to elaborate.

Earlier today I finished a telephone conversation with my old friend Chris Kenner. The topic of the conversation was my post in this folder of July 25, 2001. In my conversation with Chris he made it quite clear that he did give Jonathan Townsend credit for the initial inspiration for Three Fly in the Magic Man Examiner. I just did not just take his word for it. I spent sometime today looking through my records and found the issue of the magazine in question (Magic Man Examiner # 2, 1991). On page five it states and I quote "Chris wants to thank Jonathan Townsend for the initial inspiration of this effect". You are correct Chris and I publicly retract and apologize for my past statement.

Furthermore, in our telephone conversation we began to dissect Jonathan's routine. Chris is again correct that the routines are different in other ways. Without having to go into detail of Jonathan's original handling here. Jonathan's routine did have what can be considered an imperfection in the construction of the routine. The handling was designed to be performed really close up for a small group of people standing (max of four or five) and not for a larger group as found in most performing situations. As I have always stated in those conditions the routine is killer. However, if the audience is seated or if you are working in a formal close up or parlor situation the routine cannot be performed.

Giving Chris his proper credit, Chris realized those problems and reworked the routine until he came up with a very strong and much more practical routine. I believe that the only things that that the routines do have in common are the first coin transposition and the sight gag of the third coin traveling 'visibly" across from the left hand to the right and then invisibly back to the left hand. Chris also informed me of something that I did not know that Jonathan applied the sight gag from a Jim Buffalo idea.

Now in all fairness to myself and for the record, I at the time also realized the same "flaws" in Jonathan's routine and independently came up with my own version cutting out the sight line problems.

During our telephone conversation it became quite clear that my old friend was more than perturbed with the fact and that many of his critics have only focused on the negatives of his routine and not the positives. Once again, Chris may be right here because in the Three Fly routine, Chris does introduce some truly outstanding original techniques in his solution to the coins across plot. If for nothing else, the introduction of the Bus Pass instead of using the standard Shuttle Pass is a major advancement in any sleight of hand artist's arsenal.

Now referring back to my opening statement regarding the childhood game of telephone.
It never ceases to amaze me how this really is not a game at all but a reality. It does not just apply to what some consider "petty magic politics". Unfortunately it has to deal with the day to day business of life. Since 1991 when Chris published his routine from time to time I saw someone demonstrate Three Fly, I would relate the story that I posted here in this folder on July 25.Today in my telephone conversation with Chris, I found out that through the game of telephone those statements have been twisted and maligned to the point that I could not believe what he told me. That for the last ten years I have been "bashing " Chris for stealing the concept from Jonathan Townsend. To me this is utter nonsense. Unlike some who subscribe to this type of character assassination, by continually passing innuendos and half-truths as facts! The truth will always be the truth. Jonathan taught his routine to Chris and myself. Chris worked out his own excellent and innovative routine using Jonathan's coins across as inspiration and I also worked out my own handlings independently. That's it!!

Chris, I hope this publicly clears up any concerns you may have had regarding this subject. I hope that if there are ever any doubts that you may have in the future you do not wait ten years to air them.

Eric DeCamps

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » July 31st, 2001, 6:57 pm

I believe this is the passage of Eric's original posting in dispute.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Eric DeCamps:
"It's a shame that Jonathan Townsend never really received the proper recognition to his contribution to the coins across plot. Jonathan's concept and routine of the fingertip coins across is wonderful. It has some very strong and extremely visual moments that none of the variations have ever explored."

I never heard anything particularly about three fly being stolen by Chris but rather Jonathan Townson actually sharing his original routine. Being from the NYC sceme along with Jonathan and Eric people sort of knew. I did not find out about Eric's story util he told me this at the last Tannen's Jubilee. From there Ive read Gary Kurtz's version to Daryl's, Paul Wilson and Chad Curtis all publishing their versions. Bob Kohler came out with a very clean and very expensive gimmick for the effect.

[ July 31, 2001: Message edited by: Brian Marks ]

Mark Jensen
Favorite Magician: Juan Tamariz

Postby Mark Jensen » August 2nd, 2001, 8:54 pm

Several months ago I spoke with Pressley Guitar and he was doing well. He lives down here in the Dallas area. I have a friend who gets together with him on a regular basis (lives close to him). I'll give my friend a call and ask for an update.

I have one of Pressley's wands and it is one of my favorite items.

Best,
Mark

Dan LeFay

Postby Dan LeFay » August 23rd, 2001, 4:08 pm

Sorry, this hasn't too much to do with mr Townsend but since I greatly admire 3-fly, does anyone wants to tip any other presentational idea besides the "props-and-hands"
I think that besides myself ,there's only one magician here in Holland who has it in it's repertoire, God knows why...
I use the Kohler Gimmick but for platform only, for table magic I still use Kenner's version wich was the first I got to know.

Mr. deCamps, will I be able to get your upcoming treatise also here in Holland or are you talking really limited edition?

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » August 25th, 2001, 3:45 pm

Mr. deCamps, will I be able to get your upcoming treatise also here in Holland or are you talking really limited edition?

Mr.LaFay I will be more than happy to keep you informed.

Eric DeCamps

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » November 11th, 2002, 12:25 pm

I like to end this thread on a happy note. Jon Townson is alive and well. I have confirmed this.

Richard Kaufman

Postby Richard Kaufman » November 11th, 2002, 1:23 pm

Yes, I e-mailed the guy who registered under Jonathan Townsend's name on the forum today and he sent me a picture: it's definitely him!
I'm told by someone else who's had contact with him that he had no idea that his fingertips coins across has become the rage it has over the past decade. Never too late to take a bow!

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » November 11th, 2002, 6:49 pm

I would say this a pretty incredible revelation! Be great if he decided to return to magic and I would personally love to hear his reactions to the new developments and routines.

Eric DeCamps

Postby Eric DeCamps » November 12th, 2002, 2:11 pm

Richard/Brian:

I just recieved an email from Jonathan also. It put a smile on my face!

It's also true Richard what you said, he had no idea the impact his original finger tip coins across has had on close up magic.

Now if we can only get him to give up the work on his in the hands Triumph handling!

Eric DeCamps

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 13th, 2002, 6:12 pm

Eric,

You have my permsision to publish the triumph handling.

About the 'fingertip' coins across; What others have been inspired to do probably serves them better than my handling would or could. As you pointed out, my version is an intimate handling best suited to doing seated at a coffee table or standing among a small group. It is also routined from some techinques that require considerable practice.

At some point I will get a performance recorded.

I am interested to know what Chris Kenner has done with the trick.

I am sure your work will be well received when you publish it.

-Jon
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2002, 7:53 pm

Wow; what an exciting and informative interchange; it should be published separately!
Exciting to learn about all those missings and all the new plans byEric De Camps and Curtis Kam (long my favorites),
In the 'whatever happened dep't" (though I know this one) how about that marvellous Steranko. remember his book and the Steranko palm?
Re; Steve Duscheck, I think he is still alive and well in the Reading area and reappearing on the magic mfg.scene. Sasco Coins has some of his routines.
Marty J. Kaplan

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » November 13th, 2002, 9:42 pm

Steranko has spent much of the past 35 years as an artist, and then publisher. He made a huge impact on the graphics-art style of comics with his work on Nick Fury, Captain America, and a couple of other titles at Marvel comics in the late 1960s. He continued with paperback covers, posters, and other areas of pop culture. I saw him at a comics convention in Atlanta about 1978 or so. He did sketches, autographs, spoke during a session, and spent a fair amount of the weekend hitting on Jeanette Kahn (who had recently been named publisher of DC comics). For all I know he was successful, he had a very cock-sure attitude about everything. (this was kind of funny for a 15-year old dweeb like myself to watch -- Kahn was a good 6-7 inches taller than Steranko, who isn't particularly tall).

Some time in the early 1970's he started a magazine called Mediascene (now called Prevue). He was editor, publisher, chief graphic artist, etc. It was mostly about Sci-Fi and other Genre movies, TV shows, comics, etc. It's still around -- see: http://www.prevue.net/
I think Steranko is still involved.

In spring 1998, I saw Lennart Green lecture, and he mentioned that during this particular visit to America, he had been able to session some with Steranko (Green uses the lateral palm heavily which was developed by Steranko, or at least seminally published/described in Steranko on Cards). Green mentioned that Steranko still had chops, and was planning on getting back involved in magic. We (Huntsville IBM 194) hosted the SEAM that year, and I contacted Steranko about possibly appearing. He politely declined, saying that he was becoming re-interested in magic, but wasn't able to do a convention at that time.

Don't know anything more about him, but he makes a big splash in everything he does. Who knows what sort of magic he has developed in the last 40 years??

Bill Mullins

(now if Jon R. would give us the real poop on the unpublished Steranko manuscript)
(What if Steranko decided now was the time to publish it??)

Jonathan Townsend

Postby Jonathan Townsend » November 13th, 2002, 10:03 pm

Bill,

You mean the guy I see named in card work is the same guy who did that amazing art for Marvel Comics long ago. Wow! Next we'll find out Jack Kirby was a Slydini student.
Thanks for helping connect those dots, and best wishes to him wherever he is. Maybe he could illustrate his own book? -jon
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Postby Guest » November 13th, 2002, 10:16 pm

Steranki is indeeed short,but theatrically dramatic in black indvidually designed clothing impressive hair and is a visual standout in any audience. Besides, he is a really open and approachable guy while, as Bill acknowledged, giving off an air of imperturbality and self confidence, which also radiates. However,he feels (and I believe him) that he was badly done in by Magic, that his material was appropriated by a Chicago name, and that he never received the recongnition that he himself deserved since it became a debate of famous name vs. unknown Steranko and Steranko lost. But what a multi- talent. He said then (1999) that he had been out of magic and was just getting back into it but, since Bill reports the same quote, I guess the trauma has been too much--or--being human--his magical creativity hs ebbed.
Marty Kaplan

Return to “Buzz”