RIP Milt Larsen

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
erdnasephile

RIP Milt Larsen

Postby erdnasephile » May 29th, 2023, 2:38 pm

My condolences to all that knew him--RIP Mr. Larsen.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: RIP Milt Larsen

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 29th, 2023, 3:53 pm

Milt died last night in his sleep at age 92. There are obits on all the major entertainment websites.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » May 29th, 2023, 4:20 pm

Richard Kaufman wrote:Milt died last night in his sleep at age 92. There are obits on all the major entertainment websites.

Sincere condolences to Milt's family.

"Actor, writer, performer, lyricist, magician, entrepreneur, speaker, game show writer and the creator of The Magic Castle." That's one impressive list of accomplishments.

Great ripe old age and, if you're going to go at all, what could be a better way?

Personally my attitude is, if you can't take it with you, don't go.

Jon Pendragon
Favorite Magician: Jonathan Pendragon

Postby Jon Pendragon » May 30th, 2023, 1:48 am

Milt and I met 51 years ago. I wasn't old enough to join the Magic Castle and at the time and there was no juniors program. I just hung out and worked on Milts multitude of projects. I had no idea that "habit" would last decades.
They're gone now, the original founders, Bill, Irene, Milt Larsen and my grandfather in law, Tom Glover. Milt was clearly the force of nature that got the ball rolling. Milt introduced me to Tom who later introduced me to West, who was 16 at the time. Who knew? What I remember most about those days was the energy. Milt also had his variety theaters and club going at the same time as the expanding Magic Castle, yeah I remember the garage. There is too much to write, but know this, magic has lost a unique individual who changed the art close-up and from afar.

Bill Mullins

Postby Bill Mullins » May 30th, 2023, 10:26 am

Variety's obit.

Edward Pungot

Postby Edward Pungot » June 3rd, 2023, 4:29 am

The Magic Castle was an amazing project by two visionary brothers. It’s the ultimate memory palace in case you’re ever in need of one.

MagicbyAlfred
Favorite Magician: Bill Malone

Postby MagicbyAlfred » June 3rd, 2023, 6:21 am

Edward Pungot wrote:The Magic Castle was an amazing project by two visionary brothers. It’s the ultimate memory palace in case you’re ever in need of one.

Many years ago, I had the honor of attending the Castle as the guest of my unfathomably talented friend and mentor. Although I didn't have the pleasure of meeting Milt, I was introduced to Jennings.

It was surreal. He was sitting at the bar making some cold ones magically disappear. After chatting with him for a bit, I worked up the gumption to perform my favorite packet trick (possibly of all time). It's called, "You Must Have Been Drinking," by Jerry Somerdin. After the four blue-backed tens turn face down one at a time, the backs all turn to red, and finally, the backs change into four different beer logos, Budweiser, Coors, Michelob, and Bud Light, featuring the portrait of Spuds Mackenzie (my personal hero). To accompany that colorful denouement, the tag line is delivered: "You must have been drinking -- because you got beer all over my cards."

Although I seriously doubt it fooled him, it got a hearty belly laugh from Larry, who'd never seen the trick before.

It's a memory that I cherish.

Return to “Buzz”