RIP Volker Huber

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

RIP Volker Huber

Postby Dustin Stinett » December 2nd, 2022, 4:14 pm

Volker Huber, German magic collector and historian, has died. The Genii Forum sends its condolences to his wife Christa, the rest of his family, and many friends. He was 81.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Re: RIP Volker Huber

Postby Richard Kaufman » December 2nd, 2022, 4:27 pm

Volker was a lovely guy with an amazing collection.
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

Zig Zagger
Favorite Magician: Aldo Colombini

Postby Zig Zagger » December 3rd, 2022, 8:09 am

This is very sad news indeed for the community of magic collectors and historians, not only in Germany, but far beyond.
His vast knowledge, willingness to share and kindness will be sorely missed.

The indefatigable Wittus Witt has quickly compiled a tribute issue in both English and German (as for Max Maven recently). You can download these PDFs for free here:
https://www.magische-welt.com/Willkommen.html
Tricks, tips, news, interviews, musings and fun stuff: Have a look at our English-German magic blog! http://www.zzzauber.com
Advancing the art in magic one post at a time (yeah, right!)

magicam

Postby magicam » December 3rd, 2022, 1:30 pm

Wittus, many thanks for posting that article. It's been a long time since we've been in touch and I hope you and your family are well. How are the cats doing? :)

Volker Huber's passing is indeed sad news and a great loss to our community, especially the magic historians. Many of us on GF won't recognize Volker's name because he wasn't known as a performer, but he was every bit the scholar and major contributor to magic history and had few peers in the field, sharing the same rarified air as Eddie Dawes and Ricky Jay. Volker's significant contributions to magic history included not only the articles and books he wrote and compiled, but also the numerous facsimile reproductions of rare German-language texts and apparatus catalogs. Whether as author or publisher, Volker's work product was always high quality. And this says nothing of his impressive resume and publications as art dealer, commentator, and publisher.

Volker was a friend of 30+ years, and I have fond memories of visiting over the years with him and his lovely and charming Christa, at the LACOMH and at our homes.

My condolences to Christa and the Huber family.

Clay Shevlin

Edwin Corrie

Postby Edwin Corrie » December 6th, 2022, 2:34 am

Sorry to hear about this. I never got to meet Volker Huber but I bought a few books from him, including the Bibliography of German Magic Literature he published recently with Christian Theiss, which is an incredible monument to his life's work as a magic historian and scholar. It feels like he must have owned or been familiar with practically every edition of every German magic book that was ever written. And thank you Zig Zagger for the link to the fascinating articles on both him and Max Maven.

Return to “Buzz”