Stanley Burns

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Q. Kumber

Stanley Burns

Postby Q. Kumber » November 22nd, 2020, 5:26 am

A true story I was reminded of last night while chatting with ventriloquist Max Fulham.

September 1992 and I'm in New York. I meet up with the magicians on the Saturday afternoon and get chatting with Stanley Burns who was writing a book on ventriloquism (Ventriloquism from B.C. to T.V. pub in 2000). He was particularly interested in ventriloquists from Ireland and the only one he knew of was Eamonn O'Connor.

We agreed to meet the following morning. I called to his apartment and we decided to go out to a local deli for breakfast, chatting as we went. Being a Sunday morning there wasn't much traffic and not many people about.

While crossing the road a man comes over and with a strong Donegal accent says to me, “We’re going to beat the f**k out of you today.” Then he walked away.

Stanley was a bit freaked but it took me a moment to realise the situation. He'd heard me speaking and deduced I was from Dublin
It was the day of the All Ireland Gaelic Football final and his team would be playing against Dublin.

BTW his prediction was correct.

Return to “Buzz”