Neil Peart

Discuss the latest news and rumors in the magic world.
Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Neil Peart

Postby Tom Frame » January 12th, 2020, 10:27 am

It's not magic but, well damn it, yes it is! Neil Peart, the virtuoso drummer and lyricist of Rush died on January 7th at the age of 67. I grew up on Rush and love their music. Such a high level of musicianship and so much sound from three guys! They were magic.

Peart was one of the best rock drummers ever. Right up there with John Bonham and Keith Moon. What a loss!

My condolences to Bob Farmer.
"There is more to consciousness than meets the mind's eye." - Frame

Anthony Vinson

Re: Neil Peart

Postby Anthony Vinson » January 12th, 2020, 11:31 am

Discovered Rush when I was sixteen. Neil's lyrics spoke to me, and continued to do so over the decades. I was fortunate enough to see them in concert multiple times, including their final tour, R40. Even converted my son to Rush early on and we attended shows together. The loss is profound for those of us who saw Rush as more than a band, and relied on them to help us navigate the curves and spaces of life. His music, his words, and his spirit will live on. And on. Thanks goodness for that.

Bob Farmer

Postby Bob Farmer » January 12th, 2020, 1:10 pm

Thank you for the notes. Here's a great tribute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmOkTmGnFHc

Dustin Stinett
Favorite Magician: Sometimes

Postby Dustin Stinett » January 12th, 2020, 3:37 pm

Yes, condolences to Bob, and of course Geddy Lee, Alex Lifeson, Neil Peart's family, and all of his friends and countless fans.

My favorite Neil Peart story: I was turned on to Rush when Fly by Night came out, so a long time ago. When All the World's a Stage was released (mid-1970s), I took the record to a friend of my brother's; a guy who was a very talented drummer. (He would later become a session player as well a teacher.) As we got to the main drum solo on the record, Curt listened intently. "I can do that," he said at one point. "Yeah, I can do that, too." Then his face changed:

"I can't do that"... "Or that"... "Can't do that" ... "Not even sure what he's doing there."

And so it went. And Neil Peart, and Rush, had a new fan.

AJM

Postby AJM » January 12th, 2020, 4:23 pm

My rather tenuous Rush 'claim to fame' is that my voice features as part of the 'Glasgow Chorus' credited on the Exit...Stage Left live album, on the song Closer to the Heart.

The track was recorded at a show at the world famous and sadly long gone Glasgow Apollo in the early 80's. I recall my friends and I waiting at the stage door earlier in the day to see the band arrive for the sound check.

I loved Rush then and still do.

RIP Neil.

Andrew
Corner-person Begrudger

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 12th, 2020, 7:35 pm

I could never claim to be a massive Rush fan, but a few years ago, thanks to Bob, I got to take a friend and his daughter to a gig in Glasgow.

Harri is a drummer, but had never been to a concert before. She had a meet and greet with Geddy and Alex, and then watched the show from the best seats in the house, in all its audio visual glory. Neil did two full solos, which had her mesmerised.

The downside was that I had ruined her for any other concert; whatever gig she went to next, it would have paled in comparison :)

Leonard Hevia
Favorite Magician: Dai Vernon, Frank Garcia, Slydini, Houdini,

Postby Leonard Hevia » January 12th, 2020, 7:46 pm

Peart would never participate in those meet and greets with the fans. According to him it felt strange and uncomfortable.

Tom Frame
Favorite Magician: Del Ray

Postby Tom Frame » January 13th, 2020, 9:12 am

Leonard Hevia wrote:Peart would never participate in those meet and greets with the fans. According to him it felt strange and uncomfortable.

"I can't pretend a stranger is a long awaited friend."
"There is more to consciousness than meets the mind's eye." - Frame

Ian Kendall

Postby Ian Kendall » January 13th, 2020, 6:02 pm

I had been pre-warned by Bob that Neil wouldn't be there. At the time, the stage manager said that he was under the weather and couldn't make it, which I think everyone else accepted...

Roger M.

Postby Roger M. » January 14th, 2020, 10:22 am

Neil experienced some of the most profoundly sad personal situations any human being could be obliged to endure.
His book Ghost Rider tells his whole story, and is highly recommended not just for Rush fans, but for anybody who's suffered deep personal tragedy yet still has to find a path forward in life.
Condolences to Neils family, bandmates, and of course to Bob.

Return to “Buzz”