Copperfield to 'magic' a girl pregnant?

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
mrgoat

Copperfield to 'magic' a girl pregnant?

Postby mrgoat » October 19th, 2005, 1:28 am

Jonathan Townsend

Re: Copperfield to 'magic' a girl pregnant?

Postby Jonathan Townsend » October 19th, 2005, 3:23 am

For some reason this brought to mind the story of Rosemary's Baby though that's probably not the way he's presenting it.

Has Wendy been fooling around on Peter Pan?

The Theilaxlu dream of quick cloning and full personality transfer made real?

Guess we'll have to wait for his next special to find out where he goes with this.
Mundus vult decipi -per Caleb Carr's story Killing Time

Ryan Matney

Postby Ryan Matney » October 19th, 2005, 6:25 am

Copperfield to 'magic' a girl pregnant
...and that girl was Katie Holmes.
Get the Dirty Work - Available now at http://www.ryanmatneymagic.com

Postby Guest » October 19th, 2005, 9:21 am

Actually this is not new news. There was a thread from about a year ago here on this forum about the same thing.

I thought then it would be a stupid effect and I still feel that way. But hey I'm not making all the money David is either so what do I know?

Postby Guest » October 19th, 2005, 9:37 am

In the interview, David is quoted as saying,

"In my next show I'm going to make a girl pregnant on stage."

He added: "Naturally it will be without sex. Everyone will be happy about it, but I'm not telling you any more."

Just think, having his kid entitles you to half his money, and you don't have to sleep with him -

Jackpot!

David Alexander

Postby David Alexander » October 19th, 2005, 10:31 am

I believe Uri Geller was sued in Northern Europe some years back for "psychically" bending some girl's IUD, allowing her to get pregnant.

She wasn't suing Geller for paternity, only for messing up her IUD.

Talk about immaginative lawyering...

Bill Duncan

Postby Bill Duncan » October 19th, 2005, 7:03 pm

What I want to know is this: if the show he was touring with THEN was called "An Intimate Evening of Grand Illusion" what the heck is the new one going to be called?

An Obstetric Evening of Grand Illusion"?!?

Postby Guest » October 20th, 2005, 10:31 am

He's been doing this effect in his show for at least a couple of years. It's nothing new. The impregnation is really a gag effect. The "impregnated" women is given an ultrasound, which is displayed on a large screen. The baby holds up a chosen card. It's not in great taste, but it's not in as poor taste as the article might lead one to believe. The audience gets a kick out of it, at any rate.

Don Spurrier

Postby Don Spurrier » October 20th, 2005, 5:02 pm

This effect has been in the shows for some time. It is a comedy effect and, while not as obvious as some would suggest, there are a couple of moments where one would wish that more thought had been given to the impressionable young people in the audience. It's not bad, but it isn't good. It is there. Cute, us older people would say, but it was unnecessary. The publicity distorts the whole thing. But...isn't that the point?

Postby Guest » October 21st, 2005, 6:33 am

Yeah, it's not one that really "wows" the audience. They seem to enjoy the comedy ... but essentially it's a pick-a-card, find-a-card effect with a big video screen and some borderline-inappropriate humour. The audience remembers the gag more than the effect. I suppose they're entertained, which is really the point of any effect, but I doubt anyone would consider it a highlight of the show.

Steve Snediker

Postby Steve Snediker » October 21st, 2005, 7:31 am

Borderline? Frankly "Having My Baby" was entirely over the line for the midwestern, Bible belt crowd. I saw David run this "wink-wink, nudge-nudge" bit in Tulsa in 2004 and the audience was in a stunned silence as he said to one of the vounteers, "Hey, would you mind holding my PICKLE?" as he held up an enormous dill pickle.

I spoke to the lady who was the "object" of David's insemination illusion after the show and she shared how embarrassed she felt, especially when David walked her back to the stage after selecting her, and he whispered in her ear (mic muted), "Pat me on the butt. Go ahead it will be funny." She complied, only to be scolded by Copperfield for getting fresh.

Don't get me wrong -- The entire program was stunning. It's just that David's Altantic City/Vegas innuendos and naughtiness needed to be modified for this audience.

Joe M. Turner
Favorite Magician: Fred Kaps

Postby Joe M. Turner » October 21st, 2005, 7:38 am

This just goes to show the value of a "marquee trick." This is a term that Joshua Jay uses in his recent DVDs -- he attributes it to Lance Burton -- but the idea is old and powerful. Like the song says, "Let's give 'em something to talk about." (Interestingly enough, Bonnie Raitt is ALSO old and powerful. Coincidence?)

The trick has been in the show since the last time I saw it (a couple of years ago now, I suppose) and I found it a rather weak part of the show, but that's irrelevant. The point is that I have been asked about this 'impregnation' trick by laypeople at least three times since that German story appeared. It has been mentioned as "news" on the radio here in Atlanta -- even though DC performed the trick here years ago! People are talking about him, his show, and wanting to buy tickets the next time he's in town.

JMT

Brian Marks

Postby Brian Marks » October 21st, 2005, 1:10 pm

some people consider birth a miracle but only Copperfield can pull off getting a girl pregnant a miracle.

Its a joke...okay not such a good one.

Return to “General”