Genii binding

Discuss general aspects of Genii.
Edwin Corrie

Genii binding

Postby Edwin Corrie » May 30th, 2002, 1:59 pm

I have just joined the Genii Forum (literally) and have a question to ask. I
hope this is the right place to do it.

I always look forward to receiving Genii and always find it a great read.
There's just one thing: is there any chance of changing the type of binding
used? Several of the issues have been so thick that the cover is almost
coming off before it even reaches me in the post, and being a bit of a book
and magazine collector I hate to see them destroyed. MAGIC Magazine (can we
mention them?) has a much more robust binding, and I was wondering if this
might be possible for Genii too - or is it a question of cost?

Edwin Corrie

Re: Genii binding

Postby Guest » May 30th, 2002, 4:17 pm

I must take agree with Edwin here. I certainly hope its not a matter of cost as Genii costs more! I was going to suggest this earlier, but Richard, I figured you wouldn't want to do it, only because Magic already is.

Richard Kaufman
Favorite Magician: Theodore DeLand

Postby Richard Kaufman » May 30th, 2002, 6:21 pm

Personally, I do not care for perfect bound magazines--MAGIC is bound this way. The binding is subject to cracking, and frankly I like to be able to open my magazine up completely when I read it, not have to tug it open or peek into the gutter.
It's the same reason I prefer a hardcover book to a softcover.
The reason MAGIC is perfect bound is simple: you cannot "saddle stitch" (which is the professional term for stapling, as Genii is) anything over 104 pages. The publisher of MAGIC perfect binds it because he has no other choice. It also costs him more to put a UV coating on his cover, and again he has no choice because of the perfect binding.
Genii is stapled and will remain so for as long as I am the editor and publisher. I personally haven't had any problems with covers coming off except in rare circumstances. We have remained at 96 pages rather than 104 because of the possibility that at 104 pages the interior pages can pop out of the staples more often.
Oh--and Genii only costs more for the moment. MAGIC will be raising its prices very shortly after the US Post Office increase goes into effect.
I don't think any of our readers have any idea how incredibly expensive it is to put out a 96-page magazine every month on time. After years of losing money, we now make just a enough to pay our expenses. :)
Subscribe today to Genii Magazine

sleightly

Postby sleightly » May 30th, 2002, 11:35 pm

Ummm... Was going to call Margaret, but my latest issue of Genii came in the mail the other day with the cover completely free & loose having shed the boundaries of the staples completely.

Not the first time either.

(Although some people are particularly ham-fisted at the post orifices up he'ah.)

I agree that perfect binding used to be subject to cracking (particularly cheap productions runs), but have found very few magazine that I receive nowadays subject to this. 'Course it helps if the designer has left a decent inside gutter...

Completely out of the ballpark is the Wire-O binding system which I have found works wonders for "lay flat" reading and doesn't bind up the pages as per the old GBC bindings. Of course it is expensive and adds weight (read cost) for shipping and couldn't be shipped in a poly-bag at any rate...

Maybe I should wait for the hard-bound compilations? ;)

ajp

Terry

Postby Terry » May 31st, 2002, 5:33 am

Personally, I do not care for perfect bound magazines--MAGIC is bound this way.
I have a subscription to both and after reading each issue, they go into a hanging file in a file cabinet. With this said, my issues of Genii look fresh printed, while back issues of Magic are somewhat ragged in the spine edges. Don't know if it was caused by snail mail or what.

Oh--and Genii only costs more for the moment. MAGIC will be raising its prices very shortly after the US Post Office increase goes into effect.
Genii isn't 60 - 70% ads like Magic seems to be. With all the ad income, one would think the "magazine" should be less expensive. Cover to cover, I think Genii is the better value.

CHRIS

Postby CHRIS » May 31st, 2002, 7:44 am

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:
The binding is subject to cracking, and frankly I like to be able to open my magazine up completely when I read it, not have to tug it open or peek into the gutter.
It's the same reason I prefer a hardcover book to a softcover.
A good softcover bound in a RepCover lays just as much flat as a hardcover or perhaps even more so. Anybody who has bought an O'Reilly computer book, which typically uses RepCover, knows what I am talking about.

An advantage of a perfect bound magazine is that there is a spine which allows one to find a particular issue much faster when they are either stacked in a pile or standing side by side in a shelf. Also the thickening on the spine side is much less than in the saddle stiched case. If you pile 50 Magic issues on top of each other the pile is fairly stable and uniform. Do the same with MUM or Genii and they start sliding all over because the spine side is a lot thicker than the open side.

So I guess I like perfect bound better than the simple stapled magazines. But then again, what is in the magazines is much more important than the binding.

Chris Wasshuber
preserving magic one book at a time.

Michael Edwards

Postby Michael Edwards » October 19th, 2003, 5:30 pm

Originally posted by Richard Kaufman:

Genii is stapled and will remain so for as long as I am the editor and publisher. I personally haven't had any problems with covers coming off except in rare circumstances. We have remained at 96 pages rather than 104 because of the possibility that at 104 pages the interior pages can pop out of the staples more often.
Richard:

I'd note that Genii is now running over 104 pages and my issues at least seem as stable (and stapled) as ever :) The only downside I see to the lengthier Genii is that I will have to have this year's run bound in two volumes!!!

Michael

Postby Guest » October 19th, 2003, 8:44 pm

Richard,
First of all, let me say that I absolutely love Genii and it's the only one I subscribe to. However, I notice that when I'm reading the magazine for an extended period of time, the ink tends to run from the covers onto my fingers. You mentioned something about a UV coating used on a different magazine? Any chance UV-ing Genii?

Roberto

Return to “General”